Would you support the Devs if the delay the release?

2»

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If I'm looking at the roadmap from what's missing (not counting story testing, polish and launch work):
    • new areas like Lost River, expanded Aurora or finalizing Deep Reef, ILZ and Lava Cave
    • Important tech/function upgrades like cyclops or exosuit
    • creatures: warper, sea treader, crab squid, lava and lost river creatures
    • sea dragon & emperor with working tentacle animations
    • creature behaviour rework, transfusing, creature attacks

it looks more like 4 months work than 2 months, with rather a Q3/Q4 release.

So what could be done?
    • Fans accepting cut content and devs deliver it after release?
    • Fundraising additional content for after release?
    • Reduce polishing and most content in time but buggy, to be fixed after release?

Maybe all 3?. Players say what they could wait for. Devs defining post-release content. Bug fixing after release.

But now for something completely different ... merchandising ... sell some digital artwork for the fans:
    • standart and animated desktop background for my windows, tablets and phones (free of logos)
    • sounds: call of the peeper, sea dragon, ...
    • screensavers: crash the desktop, catch the peeper
    • subnautica app: access the data bank, blueprints and photos of Subnautica on your real world pda.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Physical goods are "leaky"; a lot of money is lost due to VAT, shipping, the cost of making the item etc and UWE sees were little of that in the end.

But but .... my peeper coffee mug! :cry:

I have it from trusted sources it will be leaky :trollface:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Physical goods are "leaky"; a lot of money is lost due to VAT, shipping, the cost of making the item etc and UWE sees were little of that in the end.

But but .... my peeper coffee mug! :cry:

I have it from trusted sources it will be leaky :trollface:

tsk tsk! to this i reitterate a previous statement :smiley: :

bwahaha! duct tape, humanity's most useful invention .... followed by the wheel as a close 2nd!
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    If I'm looking at the roadmap from what's missing (not counting story testing, polish and launch work):
    • new areas like Lost River, expanded Aurora or finalizing Deep Reef, ILZ and Lava Cave
    • Important tech/function upgrades like cyclops or exosuit
    • creatures: warper, sea treader, crab squid, lava and lost river creatures
    • sea dragon & emperor with working tentacle animations
    • creature behaviour rework, transfusing, creature attacks

it looks more like 4 months work than 2 months, with rather a Q3/Q4 release.

So what could be done?
    • Fans accepting cut content and devs deliver it after release?
    • Fundraising additional content for after release?
    • Reduce polishing and most content in time but buggy, to be fixed after release?

Maybe all 3?. Players say what they could wait for. Devs defining post-release content. Bug fixing after release.

But now for something completely different ... merchandising ... sell some digital artwork for the fans:
    • standart and animated desktop background for my windows, tablets and phones (free of logos)
    • sounds: call of the peeper, sea dragon, ...
    • screensavers: crash the desktop, catch the peeper
    • subnautica app: access the data bank, blueprints and photos of Subnautica on your real world pda.

Looking at that roadmap, those are all things that I feel would help Subnautica's release sales if they were present. Except for new areas, that is. If any of those were missing or significantly buggy at release it could generate some nasty reviews along the lines of "yet another early access game that failed to fix it's issues." The simple fact is, some times you have to push back release to ensure that you have a finished product and I think that the majority of us who have supported this game in early release have seen just how challenging some of the development can be. This certainly isn't the same game as the one that I purchased, and I'm a Johnny-come-lately who bought his copy in August (I think), but even my short time with the game has given me an appreciation for the care and attention that the game has been given.
  • GunslingerN7GunslingerN7 United States Join Date: 2015-10-19 Member: 208603Members
    I would definitely support the developers if they delay the game. I would rather them delay it and have them finish it not just polish it up but implement everything that they have desired to put into Subnautica. But on the flip side there isn't anything stating that they cant still release content for the game. I for one would pay for a seasons pass if the game is released and the developers kept pumping out content such as is listed on the Trello Site.
  • TaiineTaiine CA, USA Join Date: 2016-04-02 Member: 215236Members
    I would rather they delay the release to make sure everything is working as intended and as many bugs are squished, than them trying to rush and keep the release date and having a broken buggy release. If a delay happens, it happens.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    I would not have anything against the devs for delaying the final release of Subnautica.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Absolutely; delay the game's release so they can put in everything they want to in order to make it the best it can be. Regardless... we'll always have something to play because experimental...