NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    In fact I suggested changing the commander graphics to Insight ones (what you want to do with just the weapons) because the current ones are ugly as hell.

Agreed. I think they were originally designed to represent the notches of numeral values of the players health/armor, but its not really useful and makes it look bad.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2014
    One more thing. The 'auto pickup better weapon' mechanic could use some improvement. It's difficult to use the GL or flamethrower, then accidentally step on a shotgun and have it switch. You can try to throw the gun down, but you instantly pick it back up again since it rejects re-picking up your GL/flamer. You have to physically throw/move away from your current location, then go back and get the gun you wanted back. It's a bit frustrating not being able to hold onto one of those weapons. I can turn it off, but I still like picking up shotguns if I only have a rifle.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    aeroripper wrote: »
    One more thing. The 'auto pickup better weapon' mechanic could use some improvement. It's difficult to use the GL or flamethrower, then accidentally step on a shotgun and have it switch. You can try to throw the gun down, but you instantly pick it back up again since it rejects re-picking up your GL/flamer. You have to physically throw/move away from your current location, then go back and get the gun you wanted back. It's a bit frustrating not being able to hold onto one of those weapons. I can turn it off, but I still like picking up shotguns if I only have a rifle.

I already thinked about that issue and here is my suggestion:

Now the priority queue is static: LMG -> FT -> GL -> SG (not sure, but okay). As said @aeroripper, sometimes it's a bit frustrating to be a FT/GL marine. I offer to make the priority queue dynamic. Let the queue be default in the round start. But when marine with higher-priority weapon takes a lower-priority weapon, let the lower-priority weapon take top in the queue and move other weapons on the step below. I mean if marine with GL, for example, takes a FT, establish a new priority: LMG - > GL -> SG -> FT. Also if marine with SG picks up from the floor a LMG, set the priority: GL -> FT -> SG -> LMG. And finally, if marine buys any new weapon in AA, set this weapon on the top of the queue.
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Sounds to me that you want to keep the weapon once you pick up one with higher priority than the LMG, no need to overthink or overcomplicate it.

^ This. A possible fix is to just adjust auto-switching to only affect the rifle. If I buy a gl/flamer, it won't pick up any other weapons I run across without manually picking them up like usual.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

This is how the bars are looking, although while I was uploading the video I was working on something that I think will make them extra sweet.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    so you were also gona make the variant which is on the utmost edges of the screen right, or did I misunderstood you completely? :P
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I was convinced the center hud thing was completely useless - but I'm starting to kind of like it :O
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Might use it on alien... marine? no thanks.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes, such hud methods are quite strong. @SantaClaws‌.
    I play certain games where I have most of the hud icons 'doubled' with bars and filling icons around the xhair.
    Usually slower games with almost every action of immediate consequence happening in the middle of the screen.

And in other games where the action is screen wide, id suggest to spread it out a bit.

you can realise so much more so much faster with it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    I have 2 requests. if they are implemented already and I missed it I'm sorry.

first: can you give clogs a symbol in the minmap (saw poor onos escaping into a gorge wall lately)?

second: can you add the ns2+ options to the main menu if you activate the mod on your computer (I don't like it to open a sandbox server to check out the options)?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Clog idea is good. Knowing where they are so you don't run into a wall would be nice.

I think the ns2+ menus need an overhaul. I have no idea where any option is, or where to find any that I'm looking for.
    The clog idea would be nice... although it will never fully depict the situation, knowing something is there may help.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I have 2 requests. if they are implemented already and I missed it I'm sorry.

first: can you give clogs a symbol in the minmap (saw poor onos escaping into a gorge wall lately)?

second: can you add the ns2+ options to the main menu if you activate the mod on your computer (I don't like it to open a sandbox server to check out the options)?

The second one is already in Trello, the first one... I can look into it.

Also, marvel at my art for the NS1 style bars!

A good start. Although I hope they will be a bit more similar in graphs to ns1 in a later phase because the cubes are odd a bit.

Well done so far? :D
  • caperpcaperp TSF quick reaction team "ELOgain" Join Date: 2014-02-05 Member: 193823Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    A few more feature requests here:

1) Different Sensitivities depending on which team you join.
    I started using different sensitivities for Aliens and Marines recently, and at least a few other people I know of use different ones as well. Right now you have to switch them at every team change, which is annoying at best. If I even remember to do it, that is.

2) Show Marine Inventory.

Right now you only see the Inventory if you switch Weapons, so I often don't know if I got a Welder on me or picked something up I the heat of battle. I would suggest a bind to show the Inventory at all times and/or add Icons for all Equipment you carry below the Weapon/Armor-Upgrade Icons. With this I would be able to just glance to the right side of my screen and instantly know that I'm carrying for example a Welder, Mines and Gas Nades.
    edited July 2014
    caperp wrote: »
    A few more feature requests here:

1) Different Sensitivities depending on which team you join.
    I started using different sensitivities for Aliens and Marines recently, and at least a few other people I know of use different ones as well. Right now you have to switch them at every team change, which is annoying at best. If I even remember to do it, that is.

2) Show Marine Inventory.

Right now you only see the Inventory if you switch Weapons, so I often don't know if I got a Welder on me or picked something up I the heat of battle. I would suggest a bind to show the Inventory at all times and/or add Icons for all Equipment you carry below the Weapon/Armor-Upgrade Icons. With this I would be able to just glance to the right side of my screen and instantly know that I'm carrying for example a Welder, Mines and Gas Nades.

I talked about the inventory one with someone today about being able to make it permanent precisely for those reasons, weird coincidence, the thing about showing it with upgrades I had already noted in trello (NS1 did this). I added both to the trello.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    And team specific FOV please! And if it isn't too much to ask - lifeform specific as well? :P

This is especially anoying since there's no console command for it, unlike sensetivity, so you can't even bind it if you wanted to currently :S
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Why would you ever use any other POV than the maximum?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ideally the greatest system would be a Battlefield styled options menu where you can have different keybindings and such for each different thing.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

I know several people who use less than max FoV including myself. Max FoV gives me a headache.
    edited July 2014

Max fov for alien, minimum for marine in my case. It simply makes the target larger with lower fov. I don't need a large FOV to know my surroundings, I rely on game sense, knowledge, sound and maticulously covering every corner when I enter a room.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members

Also, marvel at my art for the NS1 style bars!

Great work on this. I think this could be really helpful in this game. Even if not everyone uses it, it's a great option and a lot easier to see what you need to know.

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    SantaClaws wrote: »

It simply makes the target larger with lower fov.

I don't think that is how FOV works.

sebb wrote: »

minvsmaxfov.png
    Heh, im looking at the difference and epsecially max FOV and already my brain is going like 'nope'..
    It just feels off.. I dont get dizzy (from the static image) but it feels.... weird, odd.

Also why would anyone want to increase their need for precise aiming when you can check your surroundings fine with the other tools at your disposal?
    No need to answer, im well aware. Personal preference ofc.
    edited July 2014
    So... do you guys mind this as temp art for the alien side bars?
    wDnvkPU.png
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    sebb wrote: »

minvsmaxfov.png

My bad, I never go anything other than maximum so +1 for making that. I guess there are a lot of other factors as well, eg resolution, distance from screen, etc.

I agree though, min FOV looks pretty strange.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So... do you guys mind this as temp art for the alien side bars?
    wDnvkPU.png

Any chance of an asymmetric (only energy bar) setup ala ns1. :P