Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Just wanna report, that I have something that needs some testing. It is a small map for Combat mod and it is supposed to be for co_Portals.

Still I have to work on it, to be fully playable, but it should be ready for tonight.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Would be gratefull if Prison's new build could attend a round tonight, I took some of Loki's feedback to try and diminish the game lenght of the map. You wrote me some pretty interesting things aswell Howser, I can't really argue or take a side on those points yet, until I see a live round :)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Well a few changes will be taking place over the next few weeks with sundays playtests. Capping the map count at 4 games and one combat/comedy match is much better.
    Also oblivious and flat also legally own the server (with real money and everything) as much as me, so you can pester them now for playtest sessions throughout the week!! Seriously please do that!
    Also the server runs custom maps (of a basic standard) all the time now. Feel free to request any map to be loaded by asking any of the admins- me, lokke, flaterectomy oblivious and Rudy. We'll try get a voting system implemented in the next few days.
    SERVER DETAILS:
    Name: Fail Masters - UK
    IP: 85.236.100.67:27015

And remember Sundays are very serious!
    mjWlEWu.jpg
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I agree that the 4:1 format is much more comfortable, for me personally at least.

As Howser said please feel free to 'pester' me if you want your map tested, either through pm or on steam.

I'm going to organise (if nobody has any objections) two nights this week for showcasing the maps that already exist, probably on friday and saturday evenings.

The first night will be a remake night with the current playlist of Caged, Eclipse, Lost, Nothing and Origin. I would include Tanith but I can't get it to play nice.

The second night will be originals made for NS2. So far I have: Colony, Drydosity, Goliath, Icarus, Jambi, Kodiak, Plant, Prison, Triad, Turtle and Yamal. If I have missed a map or two that you think would be good to include please say so.

(Edit: It's a bad day for my speelin')
    @Howser
    Thank you for including me in the Admin list, despite of I have not administrated a thing and I even don't know how to do that :-D But I wanna learn, you will explain me everything one day :)

@ObliviousSight
    The thematic evenings are really cool idea! Maybe, If it is possible, we can include it in the server programming. For example - Wednesday - only remakes are in rotation.

I would also suggest a implementation of simple announce system, that will inform the PUB players about the purpose and imminent test sessions of the server.

I suggest a welcome message of such:

"
    Welcome to Fail Masters UK, a server run by a community of NS2 level designers. This server serves the purpose of a the testbed for Custom maps currently under development. Please keep in mind, that we reserve the right for slot reservation for NS2 level designers. It can occur, that during the Test sessions your slot can be made avaiable in favor a Level Designer. Thank you for understanding.
    "

And yes, the EXO cannonballs are serious thing! :-D
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Oh sorry rudy I thought i gave you admin rights a long time ago.
    I'll certainly have to sort you out with them its all very straightforward. I'll talk you through it on friday, or you can get oblivious or flat to add you, they should have full admin control now.
    As with regards to the message I think we should make a standardised message texture- non server of map specific that just warns of gray boxes and issues, with a reminder of where to give feedback.
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    First time posting something on steam workshop so i dont know if its working correctly.

Anyways, here the link

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138119003

hope it can be tested!
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    The Circus tent, nice!

Funny games today, especially the neverending last one.
    edited April 2013
    The public steam group is now live. Mainly for people that are interested in playing custom maps but don't want to make get too heavily invested in the whole mapping/testing community. Everyone who likes testing maps should join to be informed of any sessions we'll be holding throughout the week. Joining the games is not mandatory, but it'll be a easy way for us to get the word out and fill the server.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Going to need some Jambi testing on Sunday. Made an entirely new room and removed a hallway or 2.
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    Whats the time frame for testing maps? I will have a version of co_orion in 4-5 hours
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We start at 20:00 GMT, and keep going for a few hours after that. :)
    Yo, map test is 30 minutes.
    Plenty of new stuff being tested tonight so get you mods published and jump in mumble!
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see the server having only custom maps in rotation and more specifically only maps for the regular ns2 gameplay since that is what the server is running.

I believe there is demand for custom maps and the server could be running with players on it every day.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Uhh the server should be running only custom maps in the regular rotation. We only run non vanilla maps during tests either on sundays or when a member requests a play through on their map.

[Edit] For some reason the server is defaulting to Descent after a map change. Not quite sure why...
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Hi all, unfortunately I joined a bit late on Sunday and missed the sessions with Tarvos and Tarvos_Test.
    Did they play ok, or at all ? is there any feedback :)
    I want to dive in and keep working on it :)
    If the server becomes more regular, for play otherwise than only the sundays, proper map voting, rotation etc. is a must. Also NS2Stats or something could be useful in providing statistics from games.
    We have got plans for including ns2stats on the server and for putting in an admin kit of some form, however we need to perform some housekeeping and clean up the server before we do so. I haven't had chance to try and sort it myself yet. However, thank you for the suggestions and I would welcome more if you know of anyway in which we can improve the server or help promote these maps.
    We have got plans for including ns2stats on the server and for putting in an admin kit of some form, however we need to perform some housekeeping and clean up the server before we do so. I haven't had chance to try and sort it myself yet. However, thank you for the suggestions and I would welcome more if you know of anyway in which we can improve the server or help promote these maps.

Now when I think about it how about a steam community group? You could schedule playtest events in a group etc. and give them more visibility.
    You mean like this one :D

We haven't been really active in promoting it yet, but that is something we will work on. The group is open to all who are interested. Many of the mappers are members of the group as well.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think a problem might be that there are only 18 slots during the main play sessions. I have been unable to play the last few sessions due to the server being full, and all other times the server is empty anyway.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    yeah its a bit sad server is dead during the week. good thing i can steal a slot on sundays :P
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    well there is nothing to stop people from pming some of us that are online for a game or 2 midweek (since we are mapping and it can get a little boring at times)! and the server is full rather quickly failing that we can post / etc on the public group to help, tho ignore my attempt tonight and sorry for those with 30 messages!!!!!! it was steams fault not mine
    You mean like this one :D

We haven't been really active in promoting it yet, but that is something we will work on. The group is open to all who are interested. Many of the mappers are members of the group as well.
    Not in OP, not in existence ;)

I think the Co_Portals will need play testing soon. Great opportunity for midweek session.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited April 2013
    Aaaand another fun evening ended by the steam workshit.

GGs everyone while it lasted :)

€: very good idea with the steam notification for the event, that's what worked for me!
    Hey everyone.
    I'l be able to attend this evenings tests from the beginning :D, So was wandering if we could maybe test Tarvos?
    The main workshop item has all the changes, including @Howser idea to not have the landing pad connection to top and bottom.

If there are any things needing urgent change before tonight please let me know :).
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    please add some love room in the living area
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    please add some love room in the living area

Some love ? Is something there broken ?