Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    everything is broken without a place for some love in that map :P
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ah my eyeballs are so dry after 4 hours of grayboxes. We had some good games.
    A heads up on the veil_test version the thread for that map is in the competitive section of the forums (here) so please direct any feedback or suggestions you had for the map to that thread!
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was fun as always. Time flew by and it felt like we just started when it was over. Veil especially felt so wrong but then again so right.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Dammit, I missed the Veil_test :( It's hard to play on these sessions when they coincide with my times for Sunday lunch XD
    Comments: The Combat one that we played, seems a bit hard sometimes to go through the long corridors, where marines have the advantage (and with then shotgun+jp camping on the vents, it becomes harder to hit them!), but I do love the middle room's design.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    angelous wrote: »
    The Combat one that we played, seems a bit hard sometimes to go through the long corridors, where marines have the advantage (and with then shotgun+jp camping on the vents, it becomes harder to hit them!), but I do love the middle room's design.

Glad you enjoyed. This was my first published map, called skylight, and was never properly grayboxed and tested - I just tried to copy Faceoff flow. I'm waiting for the next big Combat patch, and for ns2stats to get their shit together & support combat, and then I'll continue balancing it. I too am not that pleased with the layout, but I think my time is better used creating another map than completely redoing that one. As someone mentioned draw calls in the center is a bit high as the map is model heavy with little brushwork and was never planned with visibility in mind.
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    Hi, here is the new link for co_orion

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140576142

Lets see if this works for tomorrow!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Alright chaps, its that time of the week again. What submissions we got for today? A new build of prison and bluemans combat map is all I'm aware of. Other than that I think colony needs another test so still plenty of room for some more maps put into the lineup! get your requests in!
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Well, Tarvos has had some changes :P
    Dont know if i like them, Think you have made me hate Hollow haha :P , so tempted to scrap that room and start that room again! lol
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Well, tonight's session was a bit of a bust due to all the problems people had with the new way maps are published in the workshop. Lots of errors, server crashes. I'm sorry for the anti-climax there, guys. Hopefully things start making more sense to everyone soon.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think we will be holding another one tonight so If you do have any maps let us know!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Origin needs testing
    the issues with playing the maps seems to come from how they were published. make sure you find the cause of the issues and pm when you believe it to be fixed. we'll have to try it before the games starts. There's only so much we can do server-side. if the workshop publish is not functional we won't be able to play it. I'll contact the server provider today to clean up all mods so we can start from scratch if its some sort of file conflict.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    The problem could be if the mod is published in "private" or "friends only" mode. Maybe NS2 couldn't handle this things well.

We had this problem with Lokee when installing my co_Portals test, there was this error with "file not found". Unfortunately I don't remember what exactly resolved the problem :-/.
    I'm not expert on this but talking to oblivious we recalled a few rules you need to follow when publishing successfully.
    *All lower case characters in your filenames
    *place the overview in your maps folder
    *Run builder at least once
    *??? Delete the setup.xml (not sure which .xml this is or where its located)?!
    * To republish to the same id you have to use the mod tut hex method
    *Make sure you have some entry in the description section
    *Make an empty folder with the same name as the mod for your output folder.

Not sure these are even correct but maybe some people could clarify the method behind a successful map publish. Or at least confirm a few of the suggestions we heard are actually required.
    All mods have been removed from the server and prevent cluttering it up in the future please test the map before you publish!
    Howser wrote: »
    I'm not expert on this but talking to oblivious we recalled a few rules you need to follow when publishing successfully.
    *All lower case characters in your filenames
    *place the overview in your maps folder
    *Run builder at least once
    *??? Delete the setup.xml (not sure which .xml this is or where its located)?!
    * To republish to the same id you have to use the mod tut hex method
    *Make sure you have some entry in the description section
    *Make an empty folder with the same name as the mod for your output folder.

Not sure these are even correct but maybe some people could clarify the method behind a successful map publish. Or at least confirm a few of the suggestions we heard are actually required.
    All mods have been removed from the server and prevent cluttering it up in the future please test the map before you publish!

This is what I did and seemed to work.

* You definately need lower case file names
    * I ran the builder once
    * I then deleted game_setup.xml from my output folder.
    * Did the hex thing (Remember to have launchpad closed! when you make this change)
    * Included a desciption
    * Dont know what you mean by the empty folder ?
    * My structure is NS2_Tarvos\output\maps\overviews

Dont know what the hell it is, but somwer in this mess I was getting just a black screen after "client connected to 192.168.0.1" but after these steps it seemed to work
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    hey, you told me lowercase only in folder names!!! omg im suiciding.

Seriously, this new publishing method is a pain in the ass.
    edited May 2013
    I'm so excited I'm going to request that we playtest co_angst - before I have even published it yet. I've been working hard on it all week: the graybox is done (including translating some old geometry into props), lighting is almost done. I just have to make the ready room and add occlusion. I'm very pleased with the result so far, despite the lack of texture, and I hope it generates some excitement.
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Oh, co_angst sounds like fun, looking forward to see how it's turning out. Are you aiming for a "port" or more of an "reimagination"?
    If the playtest is at a somewhat good time for us EU players, give me a heads-up and I'll drop by.
    Hypergrip said:
    Oh, co_angst sounds like fun, looking forward to see how it's turning out. Are you aiming for a "port" or more of an "reimagination"?
    If the playtest is at a somewhat good time for us EU players, give me a heads-up and I'll drop by.
    Sunday playtests are noon PST - 8pm GMT I think.

Initial work is a straight port, after the port is finished I will re-imagine how to detail the map and any possible layout changes. Similar to how Core was done, I think. I'm really excited to re-imagine the Bridge area, it should look very cool and space-ship-y with the Descent Shuttlebay tileset.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Cool, Angst was my most favorite co map after Core :)
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

I'm really excited to re-imagine the Bridge area, it should look very cool and space-ship-y with the Descent Shuttlebay tileset.
    I haven't played around with the cinematic editor yet, but I wonder how hard it would be to create a "starfield" (like that old Windows screensaver) or "warp speed" effect. Then it's not only in space, it's in HYPER space :D
    Oki I have made some small additions to Tarvos, Also tried to butcher in some occlusion boxxes for better performance.
    Have tried to follow all the advice for the new launchpad and published it.
    Did a test run on localhost and seemed to work without issues.
    Hope it will work tonight
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members

What is it with the constant kicks from the server? new map load after every game, even if it's the same map? I'm seeing even new error messages ("invalid data").

Is the latest patch somehow incompatible with the server configuration? What's going on?

I'm not blaming anyone (except workshop, of course), just wondering. How are mods supposed to be successful with this kind of flawed functionality?

ggs everyone who was there

uplift is a neat map

Between the web admin and workshop we're hitting a lot of issues with the validity of the mods on the server. I the biggest issues seems to be caused by the workshop but I've recently noticed a few quirks with the web admin, particularly if a lot of the admins have it active at anyone time.
    It'll take some time but we'll get this all ironed out, I guess we'll have to suffer it for a few more weeks.
    If you get kicked just give it a few minutes then try reconnect.
    Sorry for any trouble it causes
    Hello all
    I wont be able to make tonight's session, or if I do it will be like 10 :(
    But There is an update of Tarvos with a different idea for hollow if you get time to test it.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Evening, tonight at 21.00 UTC (40 mins from this post) we will be running ns2_mamba on the server. Tschoppo will be present, so let's help him out with some feedback on his new map.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    We played again tonight. It's not official but we try and get a few on every night around 6/7GMT - if anyone wants to test more maps.

I'd also like to try and get a list of maps we're testing before the starts on sundays so we can at least test everything is working on the workshop end and ours.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I have recorded last night session. Playing with ping 300 was hard but still it was so much fun to play all the new maps. There is a bug on ns2_Tarvos where we couldn't cyst to the rt. You can see it in 32:40 stream time.

http://www.twitch.tv/carnage134/b/412659317
    Thanks to troop and carnage for recording the games I think this is a really smart move. You learn so much more just by watching your map being played.... I find anyway. If you can keep the recordings coming that would be awesome. There very useful
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    i hate my voice lol.