[201] THE SKULK: HOW-TO JUMP

SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">(VIDEOS)</div>Here's a short video that explains the mechanics of the skulk movement in build 201. I think it's pretty great. When you get the hang of it, it's almost too powerful. Give it a chance before barking at it. :)

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SLCGdD_VK0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SLCGdD_VK0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

And then, how it works in real gameplay. In this video I start with no upgrades, then start using carapace at some point, and eventually leap and silence. The first clips are a bit bad but it gets better towards the end. Cue cheezy music. <b>Cheeeezy.</b> 720p available when youtube stops being a butt.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WjBkRwnH6AM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WjBkRwnH6AM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Might indeed need some tweaking, especially with leap. Damn that is a lot of speed. I can get the skulk up to about 11 with bursts to 12/13 with my FPS, but leaping combined with it is indeed 88mph material even for me :P

<b>After testing it some more, we need a maximum cap on the skulk speed. This is ridiculously fast</b>
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    so amazing. thanks for the vid!
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    This is exactly what I need, because I'm horrible with the new skulk. Thanks!
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Really great job on this video, Skie! It was extremely informative!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks Skie! Before your vids, I was running up walls and jumping off, thinking I'd get the speed boost -_-

I'd hate to imagine the speed demons born of Wall-Jump, Leap, and Celerity...
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the video Skie!

Here I was figuring skulk movement was brokt again.
  • GhettOSTyOGhettOSTyO Join Date: 2006-10-12 Member: 58070Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Great tutorial video.

The problem i keep having is not the timing but the skulks ability to attach to the wall. I keep trying to jump on to the wall from the ground only for me to fall back down or for it to take a second for me to actually attach.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1917315:date=Mar 24 2012, 10:12 PM:name=GhettOSTyO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GhettOSTyO @ Mar 24 2012, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great tutorial video.

The problem i keep having is not the timing but the skulks ability to attach to the wall. I keep trying to jump on to the wall from the ground only for me to fall back down or for it to take a second for me to actually attach.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happens when you are trying to jump up onto a wall. You will sometimes not attach doing this. If you simply time your jumps so you connect with the wall at the peak or just starting your fall then you will consistently stick to every wall.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    Very nice videos. The speed is simply insane.
    Imagine a 6v6 competetive game. the aliens will control all the map :D. Still I think it is hard enough to master so lets see how many player really pick it up to that level.

On a side note: I always thought it was a stereotype that all scandinavians hear heavy metal. I guess I was wrong :P
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This is still a very un-intuitive movement system that is harder to learn and master than bhop was in NS1. Why are we replacing a relatively easy to do but hard to master skill (bhop) with a hard to use and very hard to master skill (wall jumping)?

I thought the whole goal was to make a system that was easier to learn and understand that was more intuitive than what NS1 had. If this is the case, then the current implementation completely fails as a replacement system. To me, everything about the wall jump mechanic feels like a bug and it doesn't make sense why you are receiving a boost when you do.

The biggest issue I have is WTH is the white bar and what does it represent? Why do we have to time our jumps off the wall to receive a speed boost? Shouldn't just jumping 90 degrees off a wall give you the same boost?

This system needs to be made much more user friendly if it is to ever be a replacement movement skill.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the video - very cool!

I dont like that there is a minimum amount of time i have to wait on the wall to start the walljump...
    (waiting for the white bar to go to the top and then jump before it drops again)

Would be much more responsive if i could just jump again the moment i hit the wall... so it would be a perfect jump as long as you jump before the white bar goes down again. (tho the timewindow would be a bit too big i guess)

I very often dont get any sound feedback even tho the bar looks full, seems like i maybe press 0.001s too early and as long as the bar is not on the way back down(or 100% at the peak) again there is no sound feedback...?

Having to flick the screen like that so often makes my head go spinning after a while(so i guess i will stay in the 9-10 speed area).. but thats not uwes problem i guess.

edit: i though the whole point of not using bhop was to make edit* something more intuitive?
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    This is bunnyhop 2.0, different but just as un-intuitive. People dont like the bunny hop because it wasnt something that made any logical sense, and you could not figure it out by just watching someone do it. This is almost the exact same thing. If you want a skill based movement it has to be intuitive, you should be able to watch what someone does in order to figure it out, or it needs to be described as a feature, not some hidden skill that you have to figure out. Youre not going to gain more players by putting new players at a disadvantage to those who know about hidden movement. Theres no tooltip you can write up thats going to explain this skill. Its just bunnyhop in a new pair of shoes.

Back to square one please.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917332:date=Mar 25 2012, 05:24 AM:name=Jonacrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonacrab @ Mar 25 2012, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Back to square one please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awaiting suggestions, that are not bunnyhop. ┐(ٌ◕ˇڡˇ◕)┌

But it's still work in progress, expect more changes after PAX. The timing is going to change, for one, and skulk's attractiveness to walls.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    if you must have a bunny/wallhop mechanic, you really should make it intuitive/accessible to all

like some games with bunnyhop have like a "pogomode" where if you tap space anytime after you jump but before you hit a surface you bounce
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1917324:date=Mar 25 2012, 02:02 PM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Mar 25 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is still a very un-intuitive movement system that is harder to learn and master than bhop was in NS1. Why are we replacing a relatively easy to do but hard to master skill (bhop) with a hard to use and very hard to master skill (wall jumping)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only thing that you could critique as being too unintuitive is timing the walljumps with the white bar although the skulk timing sounds are helpful. Looking forward to what additional changes you guys end up making here.

You could very easily condense walljumping down into a tooltip - "Jump off walls to gain speed". Don't think you could do so with bhop, so i'm not entirely into the arguement that walljump is just as unintuitive. It also isnt very hard to figure out the basic idea by watching someone else do it (unlike bhop).

I don't think its really as unintuitive and hard to use as you make it sound. I'm already seeing alot of players on the aus servers (not clanners or anything) figuring out the walljump concept by themselves and using it more and more.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The timing concept is what makes this unintuitive. This just adds a layer of complexity to something that should be rather easy to understand.

The sound in the current implementation only adds to the confusion for players that know that they can wall jump to gain speed. For people who are new to the game that see people flying past them bouncing off the walls will wonder why they can't achieve that and either have to ask or spend a bunch of time trying to figure out the timing (if they even knew that there was timing involved).

The change from build 200 to 201 even threw me off as I didn't know there was a timing aspect to the wall jump. To me it felt like it was only working 1/4 of the time which IMO made it feel like it was a bug.

Remove the white bar and the whole timing system and cap the speed that can be gained by doing this to a reasonably high number to still allow for a decent skill ceiling and then you have a movement feature that can be described in a simple tooltip.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    do people remember how q1 bhop used to work?

you just have to hold down the jump key, there was no timing involved, as long as you had the jump key down, you will automatically jump as soon as you land, 100% perfect.

In terms of 'ease' of use that is probably the best way to implement it.

all the games after that where you had to hit the jump key manually as soon as you land just makes it harder and was the start of the whole mousewheel, or other spam jump macros.

so suggestion:

holding down jump key will make you auto jump.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917354:date=Mar 25 2012, 03:41 PM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Mar 25 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The timing concept is what makes this unintuitive. This just adds a layer of complexity to something that should be rather easy to understand.

The sound in the current implementation only adds to the confusion for players that know that they can wall jump to gain speed. For people who are new to the game that see people flying past them bouncing off the walls will wonder why they can't achieve that and either have to ask or spend a bunch of time trying to figure out the timing (if they even knew that there was timing involved).

The change from build 200 to 201 even threw me off as I didn't know there was a timing aspect to the wall jump. To me it felt like it was only working 1/4 of the time which IMO made it feel like it was a bug.

Remove the white bar and the whole timing system and cap the speed that can be gained by doing this to a reasonably high number to still allow for a decent skill ceiling and then you have a movement feature that can be described in a simple tooltip.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe the timing feature could be reversed, doing it as soon as possible after hitting the wall allows maximum speed and the longer you tarry on the wall the less effective it will be, allowing it to fill up would give no effect. The overall time that the bar takes to fill could be slightly increased.

Or not, as that does sound like it would convert into spam in practice.

Removing timing all together sounds like removing the "skill" from the skill based movement system. And just so you know, I've learned how to do this in game but still can't bunnyhop for more than a few seconds in any other game I've tried it in... bunnyhopping is a far more bizzare concept for someone to wrap their head around and less satisfying to perform.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917355:date=Mar 25 2012, 03:42 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Mar 25 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do people remember how q1 bhop used to work?

you just have to hold down the jump key, there was no timing involved, as long as you had the jump key down, you will automatically jump as soon as you land, 100% perfect.

In terms of 'ease' of use that is probably the best way to implement it.

all the games after that where you had to hit the jump key manually as soon as you land just makes it harder and was the start of the whole mousewheel, or other spam jump macros.

so suggestion:

holding down jump key will make you auto jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Describe the skill in that. Plus do you really want skulks just hopping along the floor through corridors to be the norm? I like the current system because it synergises with the skulks ability to wall climb.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    The skill should come in through players making it hard for your movement to be effective (which pushes you to move in more creative ways), not in a braindead mechanical exercise of pushing buttons. Even the trickiest jumps in CPMA/defrag/etc are relatively easy to explain and practice, but knowing when it's right to use those techniques (and being able to do it under pressure) is what really stands out. This is why the finicky walljump system feels like a waste of time to me, so I just play lerk until we get leap.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Thanks to skie, his videos are more pro :P Here is a lil video that I did, this is no leap strafe-wall jumping, just showing that skulk strafe-walljumping in 201 is pretty neat and you can get some speed, and the first one is pretty fail but I left it in there anyways for the speeds

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUYwk_oBh3s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUYwk_oBh3s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

compared to b200

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9lwwLYgOrk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9lwwLYgOrk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I prefer build 201 skulk movement
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    A little too difficult and not so user friendly movement system.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    as tempest said, where is the innovative new skill based movement? because this isn't it.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    guys please stop criticizing wall jumping its implementation is impeccable

no really though, how is this supposed to be more intuitive than bunnyhopping? not only does it have just as high of a learning curve, but it also only applies to one class. it also looks just as "unrealistic", for those who care about that sort of thing.

don't worry though guys cory or someone will come in here and say that it's just a first/second/third pass and it's constantly evolving or something
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917382:date=Mar 25 2012, 06:16 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 25 2012, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing I've seen people asking about the wallhop is whether it actually does anything better than bhop does. It's still pretty awkward thing to learn and it doesn't exactly make sense in most cases realism wise. Certainly you can set up a LAN server an figure things out, but that's something you could already do with NS1 system and could do even better with some design improvement.

At worst you're left with a bhop like system that's still far more limited by the surroundings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quoted from another thread.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    For the timing I think a exponential or linear decay from the landing time could work well, you still need to time your jump well, because jump has a cooldown, so If you jump to early you would miss the right timing.

For the un-intuitiveness I think the main problem is that it's not universal, it works only on walls, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Having it tied to jump from any surface would make it more intuitive. Jumping from the wall could still be an advantage, because of gravity.

For capping the speed, you can use piece-wise linear friction coefficient, e.g. if speed is bigger than 15 double friction. It does a soft cap which is much better than the usual hard clamp.
  • fallout1333fallout1333 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147884Members
    this is only a form of travel, it does not set you up good to attack a marine. leaves you too open to being shot at having to use walls to boost your speed.

bring on the bunnyhopping
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    The timing is left over from the original movement mod, where it was supposed to represent the storing of impact energy into the legs of the skulk. There it made perfect sense, its just what actually goes on when you do repeated jumps. And it adds a bit of skill, as you had to maintain the rhythm even when fighting if wanted to keep up the speed.

The impact energy thinking clashed with the desire to keep skulks on the walls and also with the improved skulk air control - the new air control forced you to look into walls to get the max energy from it, so it pretty much had to go.

The problem with the new system is that its _way_ too fast. If we are going to balance the skulk around it being able to move at 12+ with a small effort, the game will be too fast.

In my opinion, wall movement/jumping should give a boost of maybe 20-30% of the standard speed. That's like a top speed of about 9-10. If you want to go faster than that, you should need leap or celerity.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917393:date=Mar 25 2012, 11:39 AM:name=fallout1333)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fallout1333 @ Mar 25 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is only a form of travel, it does not set you up good to attack a marine. leaves you too open to being shot at having to use walls to boost your speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. You can start accelerating a few rooms before if you see marines on the minimap, and unlike in bunnyhopping, you can maneuvre more than just a jump's height off the ground.

I guess the general consensus is that the timing is that makes the walljumping unintuitive. But as already mentioned, that's getting changes anyways.

Just as importantly, <b>what do you guys think of the idea of the angle restriction?</b> That is, that you can't jump to just any direction after hitting a wall, but your movement on the map has to have a certain momentum and direction. This makes you a bit more predictable, but there's a similar restriction in bunnyhopping - you can't just jump immediately 180 degrees into a different direction, you have to do a jump or two and do a curve on your path. The same you can do with the skulk.

We want this to be good, of course, but not bunnyhopping, so voice your opinions.
  • BalderonBalderon Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75215Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm new to the concept and I've just been practicing about 2 hours. This is DEFINITELY easier than bunnyhopping. To be able to time your walljumps is much easier to do than to time your bunnyhops. But just like bunnyhopping the hardest thing to do is to move through different terrain while timing your jump. It is quite easy to learn the timing but quite difficult to move through the terrain while timing perfect all the time, just like it should be. I think it is great as it is at the moment.