NS2 Achievements

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Got an idea for one? List it here.</div>We have our own ideas for achievements of course, but I'd be willing to bet you guys have even better ones. Use this thread to suggest an NS2 Achievement that we could put in.

Be sure to list the name of the achievement, when it would be unlocked and what the icon might look like. Who knows, maybe it will make it into the game!

Comments

• AnthoniAnthoni Join Date: 2009-04-10 Member: 67129Members
    An achievement for "barfing" up so many Hydras. Haha~
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    edited July 2010
    How about salad fingers : Knife down a hive? : Icon : garden shears?
    or the steve irwin : Stick your thumb/knife up an onus's arse to really piss it off! Icon: steve irwin .. or a stingray :P
  • AezonixAezonix Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69727Members, Constellation
    [MARINE ACHIEVEMENT] Solid as a Rock - Lose no buildings in a match (but with dedicated servers, I suppose an admin could easily help 'cheat' that achievement)
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Perfect Hunter: Kill a Marine as a Skulk without missing a bite. (How this works, is that between the first bite on the Marine and the killing bite, each bite must hit the marine)

Ambush Predator: After not moving for at least 60 seconds, kill a Marine within 5 seconds of first movement.
  • BigtoyBigtoy Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3766Members, Constellation
    Tower of Babel (a version each for Kahraa and Marines)

That is, if it will be possible to stack buildings. Also play on words of the original NS1 Babblers
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited July 2010
    Gorges Rock Your Ass! -icon could be an ns1 gorge
    Unlocks by unlocking all Gorge related unlocks

Team Player
    Unlocks by spending 75-90% of your time playing in close vicinity to teammates in 20 games

Reclaimer
    Assist in destroying an enemy tech to rebuild your own after previously loosing it.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    edited July 2010
    <b>I've got your Six</b> - Kill 15 skulks who are within 2 yards of a team mate (or X Aliens).
    <b>Vlad</b> - Impale a marine to a wall as a Lerk (if that features still in!).
    <b>My shrink says I need an outlet for my aggression</b> Kill 3 skulks in one rifle clip (or whatever a high but not impossible number is early game pre upgrades).
    <b>Slippery Customer</b> Slide X meters as a gorge on your belly in a single slide!
  • Gun_KnightGun_Knight Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32618Members
    edited July 2010
    <b>Gorge Love</b> - unlock from 30-60 mins total of gorge heal spray used on friendly structure or characters and actually heals
    <b>Slip and Slide</b> - unlock from using slide on gorge 100 times
    <b>Lets burn</b> - If flame thrower is there, unlock from killing an enemy that is on fire and also killing self by catching on fire
    <b>Saved the day</b> - Not sure how the hive system works, but construct multiple hives in one game by yourself
    <b>I am a rock</b> - Absorb a amount of dmg (maybe 3000-7000?) in one game
    <b>I am the one</b> - reach fade-onos in first 3-5 mins of game
    <b>Passed gas</b> - Gas 100 marines to death or kill 10 marines in one game
    <b>U R Porcupine</b> - Lerk Spike 100 marines or 10 kill marines in one game
    <b>Batman</b> - Roost on a ceiling for a total of 1 hour overall
    <b>The greatest predato</b>r - Dealt 10000 dmg in one game
    <b>The Repair Man</b> - Welded for a total of 30-60 mins and actually repaired points of hp
    <b>Reporting in</b> - Successfully fill marine request x times
    <b>A Farewell to arms</b> - Drop you weapons
    <b>To have and have not</b> - Win a game at lowest tech level after 20 mins, 1 hive for aliens, no arms lab, upgraded armory, or proto for marines however you have 3-4 mins after one is built to win before voided (a comeback).
    <b>Fly By</b> - Lerk spike kill while flying

<b>The breaking point</b> - Be a Business Gorge on the skids and whose family is feeling the economic pinch. LOL but if real on adding this one, id say achieving 7 spit kills in one game. Gorges are not fighting generally unless they are really in a pinch
  • ItsnotvalidItsnotvalid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44254Members
    like... get Marine heavy armor killed single-handed using Skulk...
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    Back in Ns1 it was kind of a small accomplishment to kill an alien with your knife, especially a lerk. Of course a drawback would be players running around with a knife all game, but hopefully no one will be that persistent for achievements.

The icon would be rather simple, something with a knife in it should get the message across.

As for names, yeah....

<b>Out of Ammo</b>

<b>Too Close for Comfort</b>

<b>Slice and Dice</b>

<b>Just use Your Gun You Dolt</b>

Im not too good at it, and of course that last one was a joke.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i have no concrete suggestion, but please don't add a single stupid one. they should all come from the way you naturaly play the game, or else people will do stupid things just to get the acheivments.

That way you can acutally make the game better, by having acheivments that make the people play the game the way it is meant to be played (teamplay etc)
  • SnpbondSnpbond Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67585Members
    [Alien] Jack of all Trades - Evolve into alien each life-form once in a single match.

Perhaps an icon similar to 'evolution' <a href="http://nearemmaus.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/evolution.jpg" target="_blank">http://nearemmaus.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/evolution.jpg</a> but with alien lifeforms.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    edited July 2010
    I don't have any specific achievements (I'm new to NS so I have no clue), but I have some general ideas.

Some players seem to have a problem with the achievement system in general because it may detract from the overall NS experience that they are accustomed to. So I'm thinking maybe make achievements that do not conflict with the general flow of the game.

Achievements that:

-reward behavior that promotes teamwork and productivity during a match (Disciplined soldier/drone: Complete a commander's request 5 times. This can have many ranks as well)
    -unlock after a great feat (killing 5+ aliens/marines within a certain amount of time while completing a required objective)
    -are harmless and don't disrupt other players (use the armory for the first time, kill your first Fade, etc.)

Not achievements that:

-require unproductive actions to unlock at the detriment of the entire team (go an entire match without killing anything, do not be killed during an entire match, etc.) - Basically stuff that would encourage players to work against the team
    -provide an incentive for players to be inflexible ("Sorry I can't build that / change to that class / use that weapon because I am trying to unlock this achievement")
    -unlock gameplay benefits (I think achievements should be 100% optional and just be for fun)
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Guts and Glory = Survive beeing eaten by an onos
    hulk smash = paralyze more then 5 or more players with a single stomp
    Jet setter = Stay airborne with the jetpack for xx amount of seconds (a high, hard to reach number).
    Facehugger = make a kill mid-flight as a lerk
    Faded glory = get a melee killing streak of 5 as a fade
    Metal Gear Skulk = bite a heavy to death
    Oh Noos = digest more then 5 players without dieing as a onos.

I've probably got more but i'm going out now might think up more later :p
  • Jon-AceJon-Ace Join Date: 2009-06-13 Member: 67817Members
    Screwed: Be the last surviving marine in a match.
    [A silhouette image of a marine surrounded by skulks]

It Slices, It Dices: Get 3 knife kills in a single life as a marine.
    [An image of a bloody marine knife]

Infestation: Drop 50 buildings in your career as a Gorge.
    [No image idea yet.]

My Boomstick: Kill 5 khara with a shotgun within 30 seconds.
    [An image of a marine's shotgun mid-firing]
  • barbarossabarbarossa Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21941Members, Constellation
    You definitely need one for killing an onos with a knife/pickaxe. Name along the lines of "The bigger they come..." or something.

Achievements that make people want to actually help the team instead of going solo and doing something crazy (like the above) would also be preferable - maybe [if it still exists] using umbra to shield your hivemates from X points of damage, or repairing X buildings, or helping to build X buildings (considering the commander can build them on his own, but you can still help, right?). These achievements could be longer-term ones that may make people feel like they're grinding toward them, but they might just learn good, team-helping habits in the meantime.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    A little bit in the SC2 spirit:

win your first game ( as alien, as marine)
    win 5 games, win 10, win 50

win 3 (5?) games in a row (as alien, marine)

i like that, then you have different acheivments for alien and marine wins.

Also, win first game as commander (marine, alien)

also with the 5,10, 50 wins
    also with the like 5 games in a row
    those can have titles like, general, overmind.. whatever.

and jeah, some easy ones, first kill, first building destroyed are nice too.
  • murphyt4murphyt4 Join Date: 2003-12-12 Member: 24297Members, Constellation
    Saved from Above: Save 5 marines from certain death by dropping them medpacks during a fight while they are about to die. Icon: Red cross kind of thing
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I like to keep this handy - (quote from aliens "I like to keep this handy...for close encounters.)

Kill x amount of enemies with the shotgun while having your health below 25%.
  • buffbuddhabuffbuddha Join Date: 2008-05-13 Member: 64261Members
    If you guys have destructible doors:
    OH YEAH - Onos breaking down X doors

I think I'm getting the Black Lung, Pop - Lerk gassing X marines

Ankle biter - Skulk killing marines from behind, on the ground, no jumping

I really like Anthoni gorge barf idea

Nothing to see here, move along: Fade blink in, kill, blink out without taking damage

Sliced bacon - Marine killing a gorge with a knife
    i'm not sure about the x amout of kills with weapon y.
    that will force the players to:
    a) attack and don't support (no teamplay)
    b) use a specific waepon, wheter it is reasonable in that situation or not.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <b>With Friends Like These</b> - Play a game with at least 2 friends on the same team as you.

<b>Keep Your Friends Close, But Your Enemies Closer</b> - Play a game with at least 2 friends on the same team as you, and 3 friends on the opposite team.

I'm in the process of making icons for them.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to see some team-related ones:
    All or nothin: win the game within 2 minutes
    our boomsticks: with 5 other marines kill a hive with a shotgun rush
    wall of shame: win a game without a single marine dying to hydras
    game over man: hold off the aliens for 5 minutes while they hold all other tech points

and some other ideas:
    you're one ugly mother: kill a fade in 1 on 1 from full health
    ain't go time to bleed: get 3 kills while under 25 health

for aliens:
    Farmer of lame: drop 10 hydras in a single game
    nowhere to hide: kill the commander after he hid in the command-cube
  • buffbuddhabuffbuddha Join Date: 2008-05-13 Member: 64261Members
    edited July 2010
    @Asraniel: Ah I see your point. They do seem ridiculous now that I think about it. haha
  • 3lliott3lliott Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72447Members
    My favorite part of the original game was killing Onos, so I suggest...

<b>Hatari!</b>: Kill five Onos in one game.
    <b>Big Game Hunter</b>: Lifetime achievement for killing 100 Onos.
  • PHLAKPHLAK Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72448Members
    edited July 2010
    <b>The Rocketeer</b> - Fly 10000ft (or a large number) with the jetpack
    <b>Who needs enemies?</b> - Kill 5 different friends on your Steam Friends list
    <b>BFF</b> - Kill an enemy that has done 90%+ damage to a teammate but did not kill them
  • SiforSifor Join Date: 2005-04-12 Member: 48244Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <b>Lucky exit</b> - Get saved while you're in Onos belly 5 times (or mooooore)
    <b>Flying cookie</b> - As Onos, eat 30 marines in mid air
    <b>Scramble eggs Chief</b> - Kill 100 egging aliens with shotgun (or not)
    <b>Smell PopCorn</b> - Kill 20 Marines (headshot) with parasite
    <b>Rambo's Bro</b> - Kill alien with melee weapon with all clips empty
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    edited July 2010
    Crop duster: Hit a crowd of 5 TSA marines with gas, while flying.

Need no rest, only buttons pressed!: Have an average of over 50 actions per minute (APM) as a TSA or Kahraa commander. (for the entire match!)

Army Employed Arsonist (AEA): Light 5 Kahraa units on fire with the flamethrower, in under 10 seconds.

Organic decoration: As an alien gorge, place 5 buildings in one room.

and if chuckling is back in NS2:

The joker: Be fired at under 5 seconds after chuckling.
  • LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
    HAH! These are HILARIOUS!

Flay we need a vote system. I want to vote these things up or down.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779615:date=Jul 16 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 16 2010, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i have no concrete suggestion, but please don't add a single stupid one. they should all come from the way you naturaly play the game, or else people will do stupid things just to get the acheivments.

That way you can acutally make the game better, by having acheivments that make the people play the game the way it is meant to be played (teamplay etc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very important. Achievements need to encourage good playing so everyone isn't forced to play like an idiot to get the achievements (because you know everyone will). But also, I'd like to add that achievements need to be contained within the time of one game (there will be exceptions to this I'm sure). For example, an achievement where you have to get 100 skulk kills would be worthless if the kills were added cumulatively from all your games. Everyone is going to kill 100 skulks total eventually, so your aren't actually achieving much. If you had to get a large number of skulk kills in a single game however, it would take actual good play to achieve.

For a suggestion, personally I like achievements where you have to shoot enemies that are in the air or moving quickly. If you could have one where you shoot and kill an alien within 1 second of it appearing on your screen, that would be cool.