Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - First Steam Release

Comments

• dopemandopeman Join Date: 2009-07-05 Member: 68040Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770252:date=May 8 2010, 07:31 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ May 8 2010, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, it's the best, unless you know of a better option...?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe not using any pattform. No, I don't know a different plattform, but as a customer it is not my job to think about one. I don't want to argue about steam again, this was done a long time ago in the forum. I just wanted to mention, that I think it is not independet when I need a thirdparty software to play NS2. Well in the end I am still unfortunatelly depended on Windows. (I hope this will change some day far, far away)
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770254:date=May 8 2010, 01:39 AM:name=ToHiForAFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ToHiForAFly @ May 8 2010, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Impulse...

Let the troll begin<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you think that for the audience who you can get your game to and the price of distribution, Impulse is a better option? No way. Steam has the market cornered, and while they might not be perfectly friendly in terms of the cut they take (but we'll never know because of NDA), the audience of distribution more than clears them ahead of the competition.

I'm not saying Steam is great from an ethical perspective, but it would take a pretty big force to move the immovable object. Like, Google or Microsoft would have to launch a distribution platform.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770255:date=May 8 2010, 01:44 AM:name=dopeman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dopeman @ May 8 2010, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it is not independet when I need a thirdparty software to play NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's ridiculous. If you'd even so much as basically researched the process of producing and marketing a successful Indie game, you'd know that you simply can't do it successfully without some sort of 3rd party proprietary support 99% of the time. Even if you have a genius progammer or two on your hands who can in-team produce the engine, editing tools, debuggers and all, you're not going to have a reliable means of distribution that fits any sort of sane business model capable of producing a game marketable to modern consumers. You need to seriously reevaluate your concept of "independent," because that's just plain dumb.
  • dopemandopeman Join Date: 2009-07-05 Member: 68040Members
    Well, like I said, I don't want to argue about that, especially not here in the comments.
  • BetaSwordBetaSword Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36256Members
    The Alt-Tabbing-Support might also prevent a Crash of the engine for Firewall&Antivirus-Messages, I suppose(Correct me, if I'm wrong).
    Some games prevented to show the ZoneAlarm-Messages.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    I haven't been following the NS2 News much been very busy with work but when I was told it was released on Steam I downloaded it via there.

I loaded it up for the first time and the performance was really bad. I was running 1280x1024 tried with High and Medium, FPS was fluctuating and when looking at the Task Manager it was peaking 12-13% of my CPU which is probably peaked due to the fact I am not sure if this game has been built to take advantage of multi-threading.

I run an i7 2.66GHz so with HT I end up with 8 cores.

In the end the menu was even almost unusable I had to hover over buttons for like 5-10 seconds for it to fully light up so I could click them.

Where should I officially be reporting bugs? I couldn't see any NS2 related bug place.

Specs are:

Windows 7 64bit
    i7 920 2.66GHz
    6GB RAM Triple Channel
    ATI 4870 Graphics Card

Thanks.
  • InnotaInnota Belgium Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17118Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Wow... 1st time i try the steam release, 10 fps... :x 40 fps on the standard release
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Huge step forward. Finally steam support. Props!

Haven't received my steam activation key yet tho.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Hmm. I want to buy the game but i can't find NS2 in the Steam store. Will it be available there too?
  • FiverFiver Join Date: 2010-03-25 Member: 71079Members
    Since I just took a stab at it, I'm guessing the update already took place since I'm seeing this engine test as 10x better than the previous one. Amazing work, guys.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed how if you shoot one bullet at a time, it's really quiet in comparison to quick firing? Also, the model on another player's gun is flipped around and floating at his side, at least in the one case I saw another person.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Great work guys, I love the progress you have made. Can't wait to see alpha released.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited May 2010
    Ok in the first run, i found 2 bugs in a minute. I think previous version was better than this one.

1. Riffle sound is stucked in the loop mode
    2. As seen here in the thirdperson view weapon is not on his hands. :)
  • alzarocalzaroc Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18451Members, Constellation
  • TherapyFailedTherapyFailed Join Date: 2010-01-10 Member: 70030Members
    Congrats on the milestone. Im glad that i could register my copy on Steam.

Fiuu, i thought that i was the only one with extreme bad performance compared to previous non-steam engine test, but i see others have the same problem. Thats good in my case because i really thought that i messed my computer by updating the ATI drivers yesterday for Bad Company 2 (which still runs a lot worse than before the latest patch sadly).

Hope you manage to fix this soon and also drolling to try alfa in the near future.
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770267:date=May 8 2010, 08:40 AM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ May 8 2010, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm. I want to buy the game but i can't find NS2 in the Steam store. Will it be available there too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you could read you would know it isn't available at the moment!

That's wat the update says:
    "We're not currently selling pre-orders for the game through the Steam store. The only way to get access to the current pre-alpha release is through our pre-order page."
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    ns2_dm1 gives me major framedrops.
    ns2_dm2 on the other hand is fine and even gives me a performance boost compared to the past release.

Congrats on the milestone guys keep it up ^^.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Lol, don't be so quick to diss people for not reading, theres ALOT of text on the internet these days, just coz they didn't read it doesnt mean they can't read it, hahaha! Dont scare off the newbies, perma newbs like me need them to actually get some kills!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    sooo is the server browser working? cause I cant see anything there
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770273:date=May 8 2010, 08:41 AM:name=kflow47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kflow47 @ May 8 2010, 08:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you could read you would know it isn't available at the moment!

That's wat the update says:
    "We're not currently selling pre-orders for the game through the Steam store. The only way to get access to the current pre-alpha release is through our pre-order page."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never went there. They should have stated that in the email update or on the buy page. Here's what it said:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey everyone!

The Natural Selection 2 Engine Test and Spark tools are now available on Steam!

If pre-ordered NS2, you will receive a special code shortly (if you haven't already) with instructions for unlocking it and downloading it through Steam. If you don't want to wait, you can retrieve your key manually (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve).

If you haven't yet pre-ordered (what ARE you waiting for?) you can still do so and activate NS2 on Steam now (http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy). You can play around with the tools, walk around a couple test levels and shoot some target dummies while you're waiting for the alpha.

We've also released an update today: we've activated the server browser, fixed restoring the graphics device when you alt-tab in and out of the game, shored up some visual differences between spot lights in the editor and the game, and added the preliminary documentation on the engine's scripting API.

Releasing on Steam is another big milestone for us, so we hope you're as excited about it as we are!

-The NS2 Team
    P.S. If you've previously installed the Engine Test or Spark SDK, you'll probably want to uninstall it to save space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If i follow the 'buy' link it also doesn't state that the game is unavailable for purchasing on Steam.

Anyway, thanks for pointing to the frontpage.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    WOOO! congratulation you guys, it's so awesome to see it in steam officially instead of trough a third party shortcut :D
  • DjROniXDjROniX Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65825Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770244:date=May 8 2010, 05:26 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ May 8 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also experiencing the crazy slowdowns, a pretty fast machine, but getting 2-3 FPS in parts.

Oddly enough, I could stand in one place, and look around in any direction at high FPS, and then take one step forward, and everything was crazy slow, then step back, and everything was fine. It was even super slow in wireframe mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here to.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Omg, fps are even worse than non-steam version <_<, definitely performance needs to improve a lot or this game will be unplayable for most of us.
  • OmitsonOmitson Join Date: 2007-12-15 Member: 63164Members
    Can't wait for alpha. Shooting target dummies gets old real fast.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    No first person gun model. Every polygon vertex converges to my crosshair. It's completely unplayable for me. Didn't have any problem with the first non-steam version.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Hmmm... installed the Steam version fine... except mine says "ValveTestApp4920" instead of Natural Selection 2.
    Is this normal?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
  • ToHiForAFlyToHiForAFly Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71516Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770256:date=May 8 2010, 07:47 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ May 8 2010, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you think that for the audience who you can get your game to and the price of distribution, Impulse is a better option? No way. Steam has the market cornered, and while they might not be perfectly friendly in terms of the cut they take (but we'll never know because of NDA), the audience of distribution more than clears them ahead of the competition.

I'm not saying Steam is great from an ethical perspective, but it would take a pretty big force to move the immovable object. Like, Google or Microsoft would have to launch a distribution platform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ofcourse steam has the lead in indie games.
    I find Impulse just more user friendly, they tend to stick to the rules and they don't have a guy that can make 1 euro from one dollar.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1770302:date=May 8 2010, 04:50 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ May 8 2010, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm... installed the Steam version fine... except mine says "ValveTestApp4920" instead of Natural Selection 2.
    Is this normal?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here. I don't known the reason.
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    holy, im going crazy :D

the end is near, soon you made it ! waiting for this best mod/game ever in history :)

downloading it now in this moment. slowly
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1770319:date=May 8 2010, 11:24 AM:name=ns_insider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns_insider @ May 8 2010, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->holy, im going crazy :D

the end is near, soon you made it ! waiting for this best mod/game ever in history :)

downloading it now in this moment. slowly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know this is basically the same Engine Test that we've already had, right?
    It's not alpha or anything yet.