Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - First Steam Release

Comments

• ryanericwryanericw Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68624Members
    edited May 2010
    Had a weird bug at first with steam. I entered my product key, and it said I still had to do something, but even after restarting Steam, I could not see NS2 anywhere. Not in library,media,tools,etc..... Upon trying to "activate a game" with the key the second time, it said there was no need as it is already associated, and THEN it decided to let me allocate the files...
    stupid steam.

liking the progress, and especially to those who said "its phony and will never be on steam", etc ,etc. Tards
    I will update this post to announce any problems if any seen.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update
    Love the main screen, really nice. The only problem I seem to have is when I goto fire the weapon, the game skips or studders before the first shot, all shots after that one are fine. When I release the button, and goto fire again, it skips/studders for the first shot again. Weird Issue?
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    nope, not unusual at all when firing - I see a delay of up to a second, then a reduced delay. Frame rates are also abysmal at times, i'm seeing 1fps at times (3.4Ghz P4, ATI 4670) but some small enclosed areas are fairly smooth (until I look further afield)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770244:date=May 7 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ May 7 2010, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also experiencing the crazy slowdowns, a pretty fast machine, but getting 2-3 FPS in parts.

Oddly enough, I could stand in one place, and look around in any direction at high FPS, and then take one step forward, and everything was crazy slow, then step back, and everything was fine. It was even super slow in wireframe mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same exact issue here. steam version running 10% of what the standalone version was running performance wise.
    it seems what you LOOK AT determines the fps drop (literally to 3 fps), looking in the direction of the rest of the map (As if it was rendering the entire map at once) seems to do it. when i look at a corner away from the rest of the map into (space?) its smooth as butta.

hope this helps, and good luck
    specs:

latest 197.13 forceware whql drivers

core i7 920 @ 3.1ghz
    80 gb intel SSD
    geforce 295 GTX
    6 gb ddr3 @ 1800
    asus p6x58d mobo

temps are normal so nothings being stressed. i'd look into whether the engine is rendering appropriately for some people. (hardware influenced? the guy i quoted has a nice system like mine and has these issues as well, yet others have no issues?)

**UPDATE**
    its due to ragdolls aka the targets. dont know if the "physx > CPU" writing as anything to do with it, maybe physx is failing?
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    I don't understand why people are shocked that the engine test has performance problems and runs differently on different systems and sometimes functions worse on better systems. This is a test. The point is to find these things out. Incomplete engines behave WEIRD. That's the fact of the matter. Furthermore, animations, models, sounds, little glitches, etc. There's going to be a lot of problems as UWE isn't going to bother polishing minor details that are likely to change in the future. The best thing we all can do is remain objective in bug reporting and not worry about why feature X or Y isn't present.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Something very wrong for me.

The performance seem to have jumped the gun in improving dozen-fold in some areas and worsening likewise in others; there's also something like four-second input lag for keyboard and mouse.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1770346:date=May 8 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ May 8 2010, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why people are shocked that the engine test has performance problems and runs differently on different systems and sometimes functions worse on better systems. This is a test. The point is to find these things out. Incomplete engines behave WEIRD. That's the fact of the matter. Furthermore, animations, models, sounds, little glitches, etc. There's going to be a lot of problems as UWE isn't going to bother polishing minor details that are likely to change in the future. The best thing we all can do is remain objective in bug reporting and not worry about why feature X or Y isn't present.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope it's not about the prealpha version in general, the point is that the performance has drastically decreased with the steam patch, for most people i guess?
  • imasillypiggyimasillypiggy Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71672Members
    edited May 2010
    well i have a good computer able to play high end games and the engine test ran really well but the steam one goes at like 10 frames per sec
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Got to admit I thought the Steam version did perform substantially worse than the stand alone version did.

I havent tested either version much but it was my first impression, not that I am too concerned as this is the reason it is a engine test.
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    when I go to play my Entire screen moves at like 4 fps.

I am on a intel core i7 | 6gig of 1333 ram | 4870 ATI rad 2Mb video card.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    I have a problem.
    I have changed my internet provider so i cant access my old email address.
    I HAVE saved my registration key somehwere, but when i enter it to steam, it isn't recognized.

How can I change my email address if I can't access to the old one ?
    How can I get the STEAM working new key ?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    read news -> read email -> copy key -> start steam -> activate -> paste key -> downloading NS2 -> testing -> happy
    Good work i guess.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    yeah but for me its
    read news -> ###### i cant access my old email address again so i cant read it.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1770363:date=May 8 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ May 8 2010, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah but for me its
    read news -> ###### i cant access my old email address again so i cant read it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Send as much information as you can (old key, purchase date, paypal transaction ID, email, etc) to store@unknownworlds.com and we can help you out.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Looks great guys. However, it is a little bit laggy for me, and i have a sick system:

Processor Information:
    Vendor: AuthenticAMD
    Speed: 3211 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    4 physical processors
    HyperThreading: Unsupported
    FCMOV: Supported
    SSE2: Supported
    SSE3: Supported
    SSSE3: Supported
    SSE4a: Supported
    SSE41: Unsupported
    SSE42: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
    Driver: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    DirectX Driver Name: atiumdag.dll
    Driver Version: 8.660.0.0
    DirectX Driver Version: 8.14.10.700
    Driver Date: 10 Sept 2009
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    VendorID: 0x1002
    DeviceID: 0x68b8
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 16.65" (31.42" diag)
    67.7cm x 42.3cm (79.8cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (High Definition Audio

Memory:
    RAM: 4095 Mb

Everything fired up just fine. Lighting is on par with Splinter Cell. Very nice.

One glitch, when I first started up, D and S keys went left and forward respectively. Rebound move right and move back to D and S again, and it worked fine.

Can we get the pistol and the knife in the next patch? i wanna set up my binds and knife dummies.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    edited May 2010
    Just thought I would post another issue I see other people have mentioned, not sure if this was fixed in the patch.

On first load-up it didn't seem to initialize properly, the server browser window was squashed, when you went to the key bindings nothing was there etc.

This caused the controls to be weird when you were in the game, when you exited the game and re-opened it must of finished initializing because the server browser was fine and then key bindings were all fixed and showing in the window.

Bit weird but probably something to look at for final release as to why first load is acting weird.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770386:date=May 8 2010, 04:09 PM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ May 8 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just thought I would post another issue I see other people have mentioned, not sure if this was fixed in the patch.

On first load-up it didn't seem to initialize properly, the server browser window was squashed, when you went to the key bindings nothing was there etc.

This caused the controls to be weird when you were in the game, when you exited the game and re-opened it must of finished initializing because the server browser was fine and then key bindings were all fixed and showing in the window.

Bit weird but probably something to look at for final release as to why first load is acting weird.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The defaults perhaps.

If you need to, make sure you can find your option file in your Application Data folder so you can manually mess with stuff.
  • ryanericwryanericw Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68624Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770346:date=May 8 2010, 12:32 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ May 8 2010, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why people are shocked that the engine test has performance problems and runs differently on different systems and sometimes functions worse on better systems. This is a test. The point is to find these things out. Incomplete engines behave WEIRD. That's the fact of the matter. Furthermore, animations, models, sounds, little glitches, etc. There's going to be a lot of problems as UWE isn't going to bother polishing minor details that are likely to change in the future. The best thing we all can do is remain objective in bug reporting and not worry about why feature X or Y isn't present.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not being a ######, but you are just wasting your time stating the obvious. We all know it is a test*. We all know it will have problems*. We all know it will run different on many different machines which is why we all report our issues here so the devs or others can collect the data, make changes, and other users don't have to freak out or feel like they are on a boat alone.
    I did not expect it to be perfect, but for a first test, this is pretty damn good with little/no bugs, but then again there aren't many features yet either.

System Specs:

CPU: 3.4GHz phenom II quad core
    RAM: 8GB - ddr3 12800
    VCARDs:
    - 4850 x 2 - 2GB
    - x1950 - 512mb
    Sound: Creative Audigy ZS2 + Logitech z5500
    Monitor: 28" Hannspree 1080p monitor, running at 1920x1200
    PSU: Corsair TX850w
    HDD's:
    - 4 x 1TB internal hdd's, running 2 x raid 1. effectively 1tb usable per raid.
    - 1 x 1TB external usb
    - 1 x 300GB internal sata
    - 1 x 160 internal sata (OS Installed)
    Case: Antec 1200, with 2 extra 120mm fans.
    AFM CPU Cooler: Zalman
    3 Monitors Connected.
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
  • vrexvrex Join Date: 2009-10-03 Member: 68931Members
    Lights still flickering to high hell with crossfire/sli.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1770346:date=May 8 2010, 10:32 AM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ May 8 2010, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why people are shocked that the engine test has performance problems and runs differently on different systems and sometimes functions worse on better systems. This is a test. The point is to find these things out. Incomplete engines behave WEIRD. That's the fact of the matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    (you posted this in response to my post i take it since it was right after mine.)

duh?
    hence the objective reporting of the performance in detailed specifics to include system specs.
    it gets better by people reporting, i don't think anyone is "shocked" or is ######?
    besides, i've seen this argument literally dozens of times with betas (pre alpha in this case) the infamous "its just a [insert stage of development] so stop complaining!" the fact is those that take the time to report HELP the developers solve the issues... its the whole point in "previewing" a product before it's release date.

anyways. maybe you weren't trying to flame, idk. if not nvm. but don't discourage anyone from posting anything, unless its useless information.
    /end rant.
  • pellaajapellaaja Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26198Members
    Err.. from where _exactly_ do I access the tools? Can't seem to find them.
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770424:date=May 9 2010, 03:02 AM:name=pellaaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pellaaja @ May 9 2010, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Err.. from where _exactly_ do I access the tools? Can't seem to find them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2
    Or
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2

The first letter "(C:)" may change depending on your computer set up.
  • nero_angelonero_angelo Join Date: 2009-12-26 Member: 69781Members
    wooo why steam says "ValveTestApp4920" instead of Natural Selection 2 ?0__o
  • radu_icemanradu_iceman Join Date: 2010-05-09 Member: 71683Members
    I downloaded the engine quite fast from STEAM, but I'm lagging very much in-game. I tried all three graphical settings, but it still lagged. Of course, in the non-steam version I could run it on highest without even lagging a bit. I'm gonna try and re-download it.

After re-download*

Nope, still lagging.
  • WoopfishWoopfish Join Date: 2010-02-27 Member: 70756Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770447:date=May 9 2010, 11:09 AM:name=radu_iceman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_iceman @ May 9 2010, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I downloaded the engine quite fast from STEAM, but I'm lagging very much in-game. I tried all three graphical settings, but it still lagged. Of course, in the non-steam version I could run it on highest without even lagging a bit. I'm gonna try and re-download it.

After re-download*

Nope, still lagging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didnt try the non-steam version, but I do also lag... Anyways, I'm guessing it will be fixed! Engine looks good though! Looking forward to the release ;D
  • SuperAguriSuperAguri Join Date: 2008-03-18 Member: 63890Members
    My Config run at 1920 x 1200 just have 6fps ......

Intel i7-930
    ATI HD4850 1GB
    6GB RAM
    Creative X-Fi PCI-E

Congratulation for the first Steam release and looking for Alpha Version and more improvements coom soon !!!
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i have a question.

whats now better? i cant see any difference between the spark install and now the steam. can i do something special now?
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1770484:date=May 9 2010, 09:47 AM:name=ns_insider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns_insider @ May 9 2010, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i have a question.

whats now better? i cant see any difference between the spark install and now the steam. can i do something special now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No but all future updates are automatic + steamworks is used
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Woohoo! It's great to finally play the engine test! I know it was available before, but being on steam is what finally pushed me to DL it. Say what you want about Steam, but for me it just works. Easy to use for buying/playing games and to network with. Plus that's the only way I ever played NS in the first place.

Because this is the only forum that I frequent. One exciting thought is that I'll likely be steamfriends with a bunch of UWE forum members in the near future as NS2 players.

Also Happy Mother's Day to Hive's everywhere!
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Steam, the game belongs not to you wich you have bought online, and you only can play it via steam and only install it via steam. no more cds/dvds.

i dont like steam
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770496:date=May 9 2010, 08:25 AM:name=ns_insider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns_insider @ May 9 2010, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam, the game belongs not to you wich you have bought online, and you only can play it via steam and only install it via steam. no more cds/dvds.

i dont like steam<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its come a LONG way since its beta days. its the de facto standard now in pc gaming. lots of great things about it i could wax on about, and i love it personally, (allows games like TF2 to exist as intended) but the bottom line is developers love it because it stops piracy dead in its tracks (if you want to play online that is) and they can roll out updates every day if they want and everyone is on the same page, not to mention instant feedback of what systems are being used and your sales.

... so unless you got a better idea? cuz right now devs are making up excuses by the hand fulls , usually relating to piracy, of why they dont develop (or even PORT , ugh) their game to PCs.. steam is our "compromise" between PC consumers and PC devs until someone like you has a groundbreaking new approach that gets everyone onboard.

just my 2 cents.
    and btw, i bought gta4 on dvd.....that was a ###### nightmare.
    1)dvd has to be in drive to play and cd key to install
    2) social club has to be installed and running to play
    3) games for windows has to be installed and running to play
    4)if you update your saved games can get wiped (twice)
    5)your saved games can't be transferred from one computer to another REGARDLESS whether or not its YOUR ACCOUNT AND CD KEY(i had to hack it)
    6)if you confront the games for windows employees at CES 2010 about what bs has occurred with their service they just laugh and say "dude i just work here i don't know"

steamworks saves my controls, saved games, resolution , and purchased games in a cloud so i can log in ANYWHERE and play my games instantly. i really dont mind having to use it. (especially when you own as many games as i do, around 60, it becomes an organizational tool.)