What's In An Alias?

14567810»

Comments

• FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    Fraxinus is the uncommon name for ash tree. My last name is an English derivative of the word ash (specifically referring to the tree).
  • RideRide Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22511Members
    When I was looking for my name I just had bought my new snowboard bindings plus I had that RIDE poster in front of me. Little did I know this name would stick with me.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    i have 3 alias, this one, sexyresults and jayt

steppin'razor is from one of my favourite books Neuromancer

sexyresults is a great song from a defunct band Death from Above 1979

jayt is a twist on my real name
  • JerickJerick Join Date: 2008-11-08 Member: 65405Members
    I have a number of aliases Jerick, Fald, Andaris, De'Lacue, Lourseair, Hendric that I use each and every single one of them is a character from storys and books I've never written.
    The reason for this is this array of fictional characters represent more to me than they ever could to any reader.
    They represent parts of my personality, my asperations and my fears.
    It's for this reason that my behavour is actualy greatly effected by the name I choose.
    For example Jerick is extreamly stealthy and usualy avoids direct attention attempting to stick to the fringes of your view.
    So when I have an account with the alias Jerick I find myself lurking alot.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    My full nickname is Russkij Standart 0.7l.
    Got this nickname from russian vodka lol.
  • xstation14xstation14 Join Date: 2007-01-08 Member: 59524Members
    well the x stands for xbox, station is playstation, and I made my e-mail when I was 14. The name I use for most games today is scabies. I dunno why I chose it it just sort of stuck with me ;P
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715324:date=Jul 2 2009, 02:21 PM:name=xstation14)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xstation14 @ Jul 2 2009, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The name I use for most games today is scabies. I dunno why I chose it it just sort of stuck with me ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Scabies tends to do that.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1710797:date=Jun 7 2009, 06:10 AM:name=Standart)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Standart @ Jun 7 2009, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1710797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My full nickname is Russkij Standart 0.7l.
    Got this nickname from russian vodka lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol, apparently I'm not the only vodka on the forums :))
    though mine is Austrian, not Russian

its funny when people try to pronounce my name in online games (monopoly?) but usually it gets shortened to 'mono'
  • WurmspawnWurmspawn Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 19Members
    good topic!
    mine started as a result of role play gaming in RIFTS and playing lots of quake. We had recently got the <a href="http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=809&Category_Code" target="_blank">Wormwood supplement</a> and I was practically obsessed with it's dark medieval chaos. Think Warhammer 40k dark in a feudal europe, where disease and decay is rampant, demons and angles fight holy wars and the famine stricken peasants saviours are shamans of blood and the church. Really epic stuff.

Wurmspawn was a character made of an <a href="http://rifts.wikia.com/wiki/Apok" target="_blank">Apok</a> OCC Class, a holy warrior but half demon. Antihero type of thing. His story diverged from the setting background into my <a href="http://shashnia.pbworks.com/" target="_blank">own world</a> quickly.

The name comes from his story, lusting for power, making deals with demons, discovering he was their pawn, trying to turn on them, getting obliterated, having the gods rescue him, his flesh rebuilt on his bones from the bodies of the demonic Wurms that devoured him. And generally kicking ass. I frickin love Q1 too. NIN doing the soundtrack, playing long grinders in DM# series against reaper bots and friends

So yeah, then Wurmspwn was my name (8chars, i'm old) and <a href="http://shashnia.pbworks.com/wurmspawn" target="_blank">I'm working on the novel of his complete tale.</a>
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    The alias i used during the time i played NS was Nosferatu which came from an old German film about Dracula. People on Ventrilo however could never pronounce it right so it often got shortened to Nos or Nosseh, which over time evolved into Nossah.

Not very dramatic is it?
  • Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
    edited March 2010
    Came up with this name when NS was still in Beta. After I decided to change names for the first in my history of gaming. I was looking for neat Word/Letter/Number combinations that looked neat and settled on Zero7. Why? Because of the similarity of form between Z and 7.

I didn't find out until years later that there was an actual European Band named Zero7.

Despite this I haven't really deviated from using this name for the better part of a decade now. Sometimes I'll use Zairo7 when Zero7 is taken (sadly far more often than naught now... If only I could return to the good old days of yester-year). Though now I occasionally also use KitS. Same thing, just wanted something different- I have no idea how I came up with it.

P.S. To any REALLY old folks out there who might remember me: Hey :) How you doin'? :D

Also. FIRST POST IN YEARS! ZOMG!

P.P.S. Member 301 and still only a "foul beast" with less than 150 posts!? Yes, I do lurk HARD CORE. How do I post stuff!? WHAT'S ALL THIS NEW-FANGLED GADGETRY? NS2? WHAT'S THAT!?!?
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    Ironically this very post will be my 150th and I'm also a hardcore lurker as you can see :P Here's to you Zero7.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760981:date=Mar 24 2010, 12:16 PM:name=Zero7)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zero7 @ Mar 24 2010, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't find out until years later that there was an actual European Band named Zero7.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I swear, my mind added 'Boy' between 'European' and 'Band' when I read that first. Somehow, it seems more fitting - you extravagant fairy you! <3
    ...Also: Hello!

Oh erh, yeah, my nick. To the pervs: no, no, my nick is not to be understood like that! It's a combination of 'Harry Potter' and 'Dirty Harry'. The story is well, rather simple, I needed a nick so I was talking to my brother about it - back in the day I had a slight resemblance to Harry Potter on the Danish Cover of the book, and a Dirty Harry movie was on the night we talked. Somehow the two were combined - these days I wonder how the hell that happened.

One problem with the nick: Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, think of the nick in the wrong way. Somehow a combination between Harry Potter and Dirty Harry is just alien to people :P (I wonder why!)
    ...Well, I've begun using the nick 'Nukaen' to some extent, partly due to aforementioned problem with the other nick, and partly because Dirty Harry Potter is too long for some things (and DHP is too short!). Not sure I'll stick with that though, I might try and find another alternative nick at some point, or just stick with DHP some more.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Well back when I started playing natural selection, I was 12 or 13 when it came out. I pretty much changed my name weekly from random crap.

It wasn't till 2006 that I settled on the name "blut" and started to become a better player. Blut is the German word for blood, but sadly everybody thought it was a goofy name and kept pronouncing it as "bl uh t" over the microphone.

Shortly after I changed my name to wulf, which has a lot of cultural significance to me, (i dont know why i didn't change my name to this earlier).
    So if you happen to see a wulf, or an athawulf on games where nicks are registered, it's probably me!

I also have a ton of smurf names....

marshmallow, heimdallr... "not wulf"
  • WashuuWashuu Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17891Members, Constellation
    Washuu was my favorite character from Tenchi Muyo. Washuu, with two u's specifically is the best case scenario for romanized phonetic spelling. The actual english translation of the character is Washu. At the time when I started using this alias I was about 14 or 15, so I am amazed I chose that way and stuck with it. Tenchi Muyo and Washuu are definitely made a huge impact in my life, so I have never left that alias. I may not be a girl, but I have red hair. ^^ Since I got into FPS, I have yet to have a different name than other Washuu for more than a month.

Now I am learning Japanese and plan to become a translator since I am deeply involved in Japanese culture.
  • WestwoodWestwood Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30057Members
    Westood Gamestudios -> my name is a Anthem to them. Most ppl know them for the old C&C games, Renegade, Earth&Beyond....
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My original forum name was #include, but over the years it got auto-converted to just include >_<

Anyway...

#include hails from the wonderful code of C++

ie

#include <iostream.h>
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768726:date=Apr 26 2010, 12:09 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Apr 26 2010, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My original forum name was #include, but over the years it got auto-converted to just include >_<<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#include <soul>

Dangit, this isn't Python....
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768093:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:23 AM:name=Westwood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Westwood @ Apr 21 2010, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Westood Gamestudios -> my name is a Anthem to them. Most ppl know them for the old C&C games, Renegade, Earth&Beyond....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats cool, I always loved Westwood and then they got bought out :/

This is the first callsign I used with the first multiplayer game I played(over the modem). It came from the game Terminal Velocity and the name of the ship I would always play as was called Razor. After playing more and more multiplayer games HL, UT, etc I made it longer and added 'Claw' to the end. But still even after that I'd see so many people using my name that it killed the uniqueness of it. So I usually come up with new names all the time and remain extremely anonymous.

Today I was thinking of requesting a new name.Razor_anonymous maybe? eh
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2010
    I played Americas Army 2.0 and this is where i first came up with this name. It was based on my affinity of using the sniper rifle to kill things ("focused" get it). Later on i thought the name seemed a bit to long and formal [and very hard for people to say with a mic], so i just started using "Wolf" in game.