Bunny Hopping in 3.0

Comments

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->EDIT: w00t! 11(th) page! This is the last topic I would think to hit 11 pages. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bunnyhopping is a rather inflammatory topic, allthough it has stayed quite calm, people do have pretty strong feelings about it...
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    huh? I don't get it. I'm not bashing you or anybody, why do you think this. I'm offering people to play me if they think I don't know what I'm talking about, no more, no less. Is this where the misunderstanding is?
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->huh? I don't get it. I'm not bashing you or anybody, why do you think this.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't get it either... And no I don't think your bashing anyone...

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm offering people to play me if they think I don't know what I'm talking about, no more, no less. Is this where the misunderstanding is? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I think so. But why should you have to prove yourself though?...
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    My take on it is either make it so everyone can bhop as a skulk or make it impossible for everyone.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    everyone can bunny hope, just not with a script
  • RyoOhkiRyoOhki Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12789Members
    A while ago, I was playing in a 2.0 NS game with some other aussie clans. One thing seemed strange; some skulks were moving extreamly fast whilst being totally silent. I spectated the alien players doing this and instantly found out what was going on. These skulks had silence, but were bunny-hopping.

That's what bunny-hopping is: a free extra evolution upgrade. It's celerity without having to spend res whilst allowing you to take silence or adren as well. You can't do this with any other upgrade in the game, alien or marine. It is a physics exploit of the HL engine and cheapens the gaming experiances of players.

I'm all for bunny-hopping being completely removed.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    i don't care what they do as long as they don't have that crappy energy thing like in dod
  • DiskordDiskord Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16464Members
    Taking out bunny hopping is like removing slam dunking from basketball. Just because you a) are physically incapable b) are too stubborn to learn or c) dense, doesn't mean it's going anywhere.

Not everyone can do it, but you can learn. It isn't hard it just takes some patience. Hell, I don't even bunny hop anymore because it was throwing off my bite timing, but that doesn't mean I want to burn all those who do.

Like Soberana said ( never thought I'd say that ) the game is all about adaptation. If you can't adapt, then you're left behind - simple as that. Rather than posting reasons why we should take it out, you should go learn how to do it.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Ryo-Ohki, the game has been balanced (as far as I can tell) accounting for the fact that skulks can bunnyhop. I love to use bunnyhop/silence, but for sheer speed, it still doesen't compare to what can be done with celebrity. As for concerns regarding one tough key mashing functions that we see on many game controllers and joysticks (but very few mices, or whatever the plural is) why not just add a millisecond wait between registered mouse hits? There really isn't a reason why people would need to tap jump any faster than 10 times per a second either way. Implimentation of this would kill most scripts as well, wouldn't it?

Why is it that no one complains about bunny hopping gorges? In my opinion the tactical advantage of moving a gorge around the map quicker is far greater than that of the skulk, not to mention retreating advantages. I dunno, to me it just points to the fact that people dont like getting killed by a good skulk, "if it kills me and I can't do it, it souldn't be in the game!"
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Personally I can do it sometimes, then again I don't see a need to practice exploitation (PS anyone who throws the flayra quote at me will be deemed an idiot)
  • e_Nadagaste_Nadagast Join Date: 2003-10-30 Member: 22149Members
    edited December 2003
    bhop is a skill that adds to this game, why remove it? The more movement techniques/quirks the better.
    I feel that bunnyhopping removes skill from the game not the other way around. The reason you bunnyhop is because it is easier going quickly from one place to another or easier to kill something(IE closing the distance as a skulk). I wouldn't bunnyhop if it made the game harder...

I think it should either be listed in the manual and described well so everyone who wishes to give it a try can or removed(yes it seems very possible to remove to me, the very simple fix I did for HLDM a page or 2 back seems to be quite bug free and feels OK, checking with a speed-o-meter tool you get no airacceleration at all but you can keep whatever speed you have managed to pick up from gauss jumping etc.)

Why not make bunnyhopping a server variable(IE sv_alienbunny) which could be set at off(0), and limited to 1.7 times the base speed as it is now(1) and list bunnyhopping in the manual?
  • zubatazubata Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13090Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Personally I can do it sometimes, then again I don't see a need to practice exploitation (PS anyone who throws the flayra quote at me will be deemed an idiot) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't agree with Flay's quote at all. But don't talk about idiocy when you *still* don't get that alien bhop was *intentionally* left in game by *developers* as opposite to marine bhop. This was clear intent, not something that was forgotten. It's a intended feature. The developers decide what is feature and what not. Not you. Got it ?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited December 2003
    And I was so sure bhopping was left in because <s>it</s>[giving the aliens the same slow-down the marines got] would hurt skulks bulletdodging and lerks flying. Oh well.
    <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My take on it is either make it so everyone can bhop as a skulk or make it impossible for everyone. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah and lets include built-in aimbot into NS because if some people have the skill to aim like aimbot, everyone else must be able to do it or it's not fair !! LMAO
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin--zubata+Dec 27 2003, 10:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (zubata @ Dec 27 2003, 10:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My take on it is either make it so everyone can bhop as a skulk or make it impossible for everyone. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah and lets include built-in aimbot into NS because if some people have the skill to aim like aimbot, everyone else must be able to do it or it's not fair !! LMAO <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, commie has a really good point.

Have you played the latest version of Science and Industry? It did a very good job with the issue of bhopping.

Basically, what it did was make it so the _special command is <b>built right into your +jump command</b>, so all you have to do is hold down jump and you can get the perfect timing nesseary to bhop.

Even a nub can pick up fairly quickly how to speed himself up and figure out bhop. It works really good, believe or not.

Go play the mod for yourself, if you don't believe me.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    nubs comparing aimbot to bhop - thread is now 12 pages too long
  • SoberanaSoberana Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17695Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--zubata+Dec 27 2003, 10:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (zubata @ Dec 27 2003, 10:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 02:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My take on it is either make it so everyone can bhop as a skulk or make it impossible for everyone. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah and lets include built-in aimbot into NS because if some people have the skill to aim like aimbot, everyone else must be able to do it or it's not fair !! LMAO <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay.
  • bLuIShbLuISh Join Date: 2003-05-21 Member: 16559Members
    despite the 12 pages of spam, i doubt any of the dev team will even be moved enough to put in b hopping for marines. considering 3.0 wasnt even released yet, why even bother trying to "balance" it now? its like criticizing and suggesting new ideas for a car that was only announced
    <!--QuoteBegin--Sarisel+Dec 27 2003, 01:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sarisel @ Dec 27 2003, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> nubs comparing aimbot to bhop - thread is now 12 pages too long <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nubs that don't get other people points - thread is now 12 pages too long
  • styleestylee Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14802Members
    *points to his signature*
  • TheOneTheOne Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17679Members
    edited December 2003
    My view is that skilled bhop is part of the game.

Its also good news to hear lame script commands are being removed, n1 devs

<span style='color:green'>*IMAGE SPORED.* It should be obvious why this one is gone.</span>
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--zubata+Dec 27 2003, 04:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (zubata @ Dec 27 2003, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--Sarisel+Dec 27 2003, 01:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sarisel @ Dec 27 2003, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> nubs comparing aimbot to bhop - thread is now 12 pages too long <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nubs that don't get other people points - thread is now 12 pages too long <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and nubs who take everything personally, yet don't know what the hell they are talking about
  • ubermenschubermensch Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11692Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin--cri.tical+Dec 20 2003, 12:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cri.tical @ Dec 20 2003, 12:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Its pretty silly to see Charlie waste his time on removing certain commands to prevent bunnyhop scripting. He should have simply removed bunnyhopping and that would eliminate the complaints. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you refered to him as "Charlie." lol.
  • ToshaxToshax Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13137Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Personally I can do it sometimes, then again I don't see a need to practice exploitation (PS anyone who throws the flayra quote at me will be deemed an idiot) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you were deemed an idiot a long time ago
    <!--QuoteBegin--Toshax+Dec 28 2003, 04:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Toshax @ Dec 28 2003, 04:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--CommunistWithAGun+Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 27 2003, 08:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Personally I can do it sometimes, then again I don't see a need to practice exploitation (PS anyone who throws the flayra quote at me will be deemed an idiot) <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you were deemed an idiot a long time ago <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Man, I should really stop feeding the trolls.
  • PalinPalin Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14848Members
    I'm particularly disturbed at the desire to bhop as a marine... skulk is ok, but not marine or other aliens.

NS isn't what I'd say to be the most realistic gameplay I've ever seen, but it IS believable. Marine bhopping ruins that believability as no human, even pumped with caffiene and cocaine, can maintain that kind of stamina. Now the last thing I want to see implemented is the dreaded stamina bar that slows you down after running too much, but if that's what it takes to bring back some semblance of believability to the marines' game so be it.

Personally, I say if it takes scripts to become more godlike than Legolas, then that's just wrong. There's a reasons there isn't a bhop bind in the controls menu.

*kicks self for even entertaining the idea*
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Join Date: 2003-10-31 Member: 22157Members
    Instead of trying to get rid of scripted bunny hops, why not make the playing field even by implementing a quake style bunny hop, where holding down jump as you land will make you bounce again, avoiding the ground friction. Just make this available for the aliens and Bob's your uncle, everyone can do it without the need of scripts.

Then, all the players will need to do is learn how to strafe jump, for the speed advantage. Also, why not remove the 170% (I think that was the value) speed limit that VALVe implemented to slow down bunny hoppers? It would make things so fun for the aliens.
  • rennexrennex Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2688Members
    I swear I wrote that somewhere.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Basically, what it did was make it so the _special command is built right into your +jump command, so all you have to do is hold down jump and you can get the perfect timing nesseary to bhop.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't that **** with lerk flight?
  • DeathScythe61DeathScythe61 Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24316Members
    edited December 2003
    How DOES one Bhop anyway? I normally just have to ambush people 'till 2nd hive to get kills-_-