Recipe changes - HUGE change to early game

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    A charged tank will stay charged in inventory or in a locker

Ahah, so that's how it works. Good to know. Thanks!

Scanner room actually turned out to be pretty useful. Despite it showing nodes I had already gathered, it showed me a bunch right near my base that I had missed, so that was cool. And yeah, I noticed that rebuilding the thing caused the list to change, but I think they need to make the scanner interface just like the Vehicle mod station, where it locks you in place while you use it.

I think I've said this before, but expect these kinds of wild changes over the next few months. It's going to take a lot of work to balance stuff and the devs are going to try a lot of things that don't work out. As frustrating as it can be, it's up to us to give useful feedback so they can get it right by the time the game launches. I think of it as enduring some moderate frustration now so that future players don't have to. It's also kind of fun.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    You don't have to Drag & Drop O2 tanks.
    Just Double Click on the one in your Inventory and it will switch out with the one you're using.
    B)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited October 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Jacke wrote: »
    BTW, has anything been done about the excess of aggression fauna? Packs of Stalkers in the "Safe" Shallows and Bonesharks everywhere?

A good solution to this would be to randomise aggression...

Just saw this on the Trello about hyper aggressive bone sharks versus the Seamoth:

https://trello.com/c/nQDXB3DJ/1186-52579-bonesharks-hyper-aggressive-toward-seamoth-destroy-it-within-seconds

Oh, and for a change of pace... It looks like the DEVs have noticed the Reaper Leviathan isn't aggressive enough:

https://trello.com/c/uW9wtjOn/1248-54413-reaper-leviathans-ignoring-player

Oh, this is just too funny.

"... Well... that's one way to fix the death animation..."

(This video was linked from the Trello card about the Reaper Leviathan ignoring the player.)
    garath wrote: »
    Just saw this on the Trello about hyper aggressive bone sharks versus the Seamoth:
    https://trello.com/c/nQDXB3DJ/1186-52579-bonesharks-hyper-aggressive-toward-seamoth-destroy-it-within-seconds

Oh, and for a change of pace... It looks like the DEVs have noticed the Reaper Leviathan isn't aggressive enough:

Huh, I haven't experienced these issues. The Reapers sure haven't ignored me!

And while I can see a pack of Bonesharks destroying a Seamoth quickly, I've never had them gang up on me like the card describes. I dunno, maybe I'm just careful not to let them surround me like that. Or maybe I'm just a good pilot. B)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    The bioreactor recipe used to be 4 titanium and 1 lubricant. My first reaction to this recipe change making it require a wiring kit is to declare the game hopelessly broken.
    It is quite a change. So far none of the changes since the middle of September in Experimental have made it onto the Wiki. So it's discover as I explore. Kind of interesting, but also kind of disturbing. Maybe good to be shaken up this way though.

Other significant blueprints I've yet to unlock and so don't know how they've changed: Powercell Charger, Thermal Plant, Nuclear Reactor, Fuel Rod.

A Medkit can now be fabricated from 1 Fiber Mesh, which is made from 2 Creepvine Samples. Either near a Kelp Forest or after setting up your own Exterior Growbed, that could work. But for 1 Silver, I'll make 1 in my main base (far from Lifepod 5). And 1 in my Cyclops. And 1 for each future lower base. Just for the simplicity.

As well, I was used to building 2 Water Filtration Machines in my main base. I need an Aerogel each for them, but I've already got 2 Gel Sacks and more left over to grow, and it's not too hard to get 2 Aluminum Oxide. But to power them, I used to have 12 or more Solar Panels. My first base underneath Lifepod 5 got by on 1 Solar Panel and I added a 2nd when I started primarily using it and I needed the 500 stored charge for overnight fabrication. I really wonder how many my main base will need. And how much Silver for other power sources.

And I wonder how many for a Moonpool? Old blueprint had 1 Advanced Wiring Kit.

For Cyclops recharging, I previously built a bank of 4 to 6 Powercell Rechargers. If the Battery Charger takes a Wiring Kit, they will too, or an Advanced Wiring Kit. And that's 2 Silver in each one.

I hope the DEVs really are planning to add a scroll bar to the Scanner Room as someone suggested. If I can use the Scanner Room to find as much Silver as I need now for all these recipe changes, it might not be so bad
    The workaround for the Scanner Room list is vital here. On creating the Scanner Room and upon loading the first savegame from starting the program, the list is rebuilt. (For some reason, it never appears to rebuild after just exiting to main menu and loading a savegame.) At that time, you can select late alphabetic entries like Sandstone.

I just leave the Scanner Room of my first base on Sandstone. For my main base, I'll likely have to scan for Aluminum Oxide and other mats.

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Quick note about quartz: it's HELLA easy to find if you know where to look. It's been largely removed from the surface and stuck in caves & cavelike places (e.g., the massive coral tubes). Just look for a hole in the ground, dive in, avoid being blown up by several Crashfish and voila: quartz. There are also huge buttloads of quartz deposits in the Blood Kelp Forest; some of them-- and I don't know if this is a glitch or not-- can be picked up for 2 instead of 1.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Quick note about quartz: it's HELLA easy to find if you know where to look. It's been largely removed from the surface and stuck in caves & cavelike places (e.g., the massive coral tubes). Just look for a hole in the ground, dive in, avoid being blown up by several Crashfish and voila: quartz. There are also huge buttloads of quartz deposits in the Blood Kelp Forest; some of them-- and I don't know if this is a glitch or not-- can be picked up for 2 instead of 1.

Yeah, lategame,when I needed a ton of glass off my base expansion, I hightailed it to the 2nd blood kelp with a seamoth with 3 storage modues. I made that trip 3 times.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're re-balancing the game based of real data, when players find resources, blueprints and actually craft them (not cheating them in). We had a lot of things show up as issues, ones we're trying to fix. It's going to be changes likely all the way up to release, but we think we know where we're headed with the changes and so far, a lot of the changes look to be working. They are only in the Experimental version currently.

Would be nice if the Scanner room was fixed, it might affect how players build if they can search for requisite mats.

When it comes to finding silver, it'd be nice to send out my squadrons of flying monkeys camera drones to go find it for me. That'd definitely push a scanner room much higher on my to-build list.
    re: Scanner room, I've found that the only thing that will change the list is quitting the game entirely. Kind of a pain.

Also the option to scan for "copper ore". This only works if you, like, dropped a piece of copper somewhere. It doesn't seem to detect large deposits. Kind of useless?
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    After 8 hours on my Fifth full game (or maybe sixth ?) the silver is definitely an issue (it was copper last time). I don't understand the big shift to silver. Gold is really under used. Lead also.

But what ever, the game is improving on each version. GJ to devs.

I'm passing 200h of playtime and I'm still enjoying that game A LOT.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Nice to see the Boneshark issue being looked at; they're waaaay aggressive (And they come in huge numbers everywhere except the Mushroom Forest!) and do a truckload of damage to the poor little seamoth.

More aggressive Reapers? More reason not to go to the Dunes and Crash Zone then :lol: Not without an exosuit anyway, somehow they're less frightening when you're on the ground rather than higher up in the water column. Guess this change'll be a good thing then, since they often ignored the exosuit when I was in it (Seamoth on the other hand, they home into that thing real quick!)

Would be fun to see things like Mercury and other niche resources be used more too, but I feel that'll end up being a post-1.0 thing.
    My heart rate still rises when I hear a Reaper's roar in the distance, but I'm not really scared of dealing with them anymore. They're an inconvenience, mostly. I can hug the ground in my Seamoth, hide behind rocks or in caves to avoid being noticed. If they see me and I can't outrun them (they have a pretty wide turn radius), I wait for them to charge, dodge aside and hit them with the zapper. That gives me more than enough time to high-tail it out of there.

It's actually pretty fun, but I'm getting off-topic.

Has anyone noticed a lack of large copper deposits? The shallows by the Aurora used to be packed with them, but there's hardly anything there anymore.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

Huh, I haven't experienced these issues. The Reapers sure haven't ignored me!

This must be in the experimental version, as I've not had the same experience, either. I *have* had the experience of not seeing the Reaper until it was pretty much literally right on top of me (not spawning off in the distance the way I would have assumed it should), but once it was spawned, it certainly seemed to find me tasty.

It only would go after the other wildlife once I was hidden away in my observation base.

..... please don't make them totally ignore the other wildlife; I love feeding Smiley. :{

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Popped into experimental to take a look at the recipe changes - and noticed the very different crash zone lighting! I like it! Except how most of the debris and any base compartments being an unusual dark color regardless of the time of day... Byt that's off topic.

On topic, I'm liking the new changes for the most part. Like the Water Filtration Machine now is a little more work to put into it, and I like how Aerogel, Benzene, and Aluminum crystals are being spread out into other recipes! :)
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    There actually might be a solution to this - maybe making the Drill Arm appear in the Aurora where you get the Prawn parts (instead of the Dunes!). Make it appear early, and then you could mine for silver and the other things early instead of at the very end of the game when you already have most everything. The PRAWN is completely pointless without the drill arm anyway. Searching for 999 silver when Sandstone is uncommon and drops lead (!!!) a lot of the time does not make the game more fun. There is still time for these things to be changed though.
    ssutcliffe wrote: »
    There actually might be a solution to this - maybe making the Drill Arm appear in the Aurora where you get the Prawn parts (instead of the Dunes!). Make it appear early, and then you could mine for silver and the other things early instead of at the very end of the game when you already have most everything. The PRAWN is completely pointless without the drill arm anyway. Searching for 999 silver when Sandstone is uncommon and drops lead (!!!) a lot of the time does not make the game more fun. There is still time for these things to be changed though.

They are now giving us the Scanner Room very early game, and someone above made the cool suggestion to just set it to Sandstone and *leave* it set to Sandstone. If you want to search for something else, build a second Scanner Room, they suggested. I thought that was awesome! In my last game, I found the Drill Arm outside that first wreck as you first get to the Grand Reef. So, I think they are giving the Drill Arm to the player about the same time they would have the PRAWN. At least, the way I play, I usually find the Drill Arm *before* I have built the PRAWN because I pass by that wreck on the circuitous route I take to the Floating Island.

It's definitely discouraging to me personally to get lead from Sandstone. I mean... I'm excited to find Sandstone. This is supposed to be something good. I open it.... and get lead! For me, that's like being a small child on Christmas morning. You go to your stocking to see what goodies are there.... and find COAL! (In the Christmas stories, if you are bad, you get coal...)

I realize the DEVs wanted to mix it up and all that. But for those of us who have hundreds of hours in the game, getting lead from sandstone is just like that... getting coal on Christmas morning.

Oh well. It is what it is.

I feel badly for the new player who wants to check out the WIKI when the game launches. They'll be like... This is ALL WRONG! If this game has been in Early access for a couple of years, how come the WIKI is completely and totally WRONG. :)

Not that I'm saying the DEVs should leave everything set just so the WIKI is correct. That would be ridiculous. No, I'm happy they are working hard to balance everything, and I have confidence it will all turn out well in the end. It's just a bit challenging for those of us who have played so many hours to see everything changing so dramatically of late.

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    ssutcliffe wrote: »

They are now giving us the Scanner Room very early game, and someone above made the cool suggestion to just set it to Sandstone and *leave* it set to Sandstone. If you want to search for something else, build a second Scanner Room, they suggested. I thought that was awesome! In my last game, I found the Drill Arm outside that first wreck as you first get to the Grand Reef. So, I think they are giving the Drill Arm to the player about the same time they would have the PRAWN. At least, the way I play, I usually find the Drill Arm *before* I have built the PRAWN because I pass by that wreck on the circuitous route I take to the Floating Island.

It's definitely discouraging to me personally to get lead from Sandstone. I mean... I'm excited to find Sandstone. This is supposed to be something good. I open it.... and get lead! For me, that's like being a small child on Christmas morning. You go to your stocking to see what goodies are there.... and find COAL! (In the Christmas stories, if you are bad, you get coal...)

I realize the DEVs wanted to mix it up and all that. But for those of us who have hundreds of hours in the game, getting lead from sandstone is just like that... getting coal on Christmas morning.

Oh well. It is what it is.

I feel badly for the new player who wants to check out the WIKI when the game launches. They'll be like... This is ALL WRONG! If this game has been in Early access for a couple of years, how come the WIKI is completely and totally WRONG. :)

Not that I'm saying the DEVs should leave everything set just so the WIKI is correct. That would be ridiculous. No, I'm happy they are working hard to balance everything, and I have confidence it will all turn out well in the end. It's just a bit challenging for those of us who have played so many hours to see everything changing so dramatically of late.

Removing lead from limestone chuncks removes the copper issues but when you want to build foundations and vehicles you'll look for lead by looking for sandstone outcrops

Now is this right? Maybe not but as obraxis said this is going to change throughout the coming months

And in my opinion they should focus a bit more on the advanced materials as they are used to be used to make very few items (they're used in more items now I believe) but as I said the recipes, fragment locations,etc will keep changing
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2017
    So with the latest changes, where does one find Magnetite now?

I've been to the Floating Island & The BisAssGun Island and can't find any in either place.
    :/

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »

I've been to the Floating Island & The BisAssGun Island and can't find any in either place.

You have to defeat the robot master Magnet Man
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Try the jellyshroom caves? I don't know, just a hunch.
    @DaveNY Jellyshroom caves, mostly, but the Sparse Reef has a fair amount and there are parts that are shallow enough to reach with a Seamoth equipped with the basic pressure compensator. It does show up on the western side of Gun Island, but it's not terribly common.
    Considering that Magnetite is needed to build the repulsion cannon, is 'fix the radiation zone' no longer your first game goal? Considering that you need the cannon to get into the Aurora, the cannon takes Magnetite to make, and Magnetite isn't exactly what I would call 'early game' materials.
    edited October 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »
    Considering that Magnetite is needed to build the repulsion cannon, is 'fix the radiation zone' no longer your first game goal? Considering that you need the cannon to get into the Aurora, the cannon takes Magnetite to make, and Magnetite isn't exactly what I would call 'early game' materials.

It seems the game now gives you a signal for the Degasi 'Shroom base. So, I assume the DEVs now want us to head there after the island but before hitting the Aurora. That cave is where I picked up a TON of magnetite. It's pretty crazy for me to go there *before* the Aurora. It used to be:

1. Get the Depth Module from the Aurora
    2. Head to the 'Shroom Cave base using (1)

Chicken versus Egg: Chicken is the Depth Module from the Aurora, Egg is the 'Shroom cave *below* default depth of Seamoth.

I find it completely inexplicable how they now want us to head to the 'Shroom cave first!!

I was able to do it by being extra careful. By that, I mean I very carefully took the Seamoth quickly down below 200 meter max depth and then back up to an under 200 meter depth place in the cave. Then, I repaired the Seamoth and parked it on the ceiling. Then, I swam down from my Seamoth on the ceiling to the base. Then, after I cleared the base, I hunted for Magnetite.

I was able to do it because it was fun and it was a challenge. But I wonder if the average player would blow up their Seamoth trying this, get frustrated and wish they'd never bought this game!

I really just want someone to pick up the lead game designer, hold him in the air, shake him a few times and say, "What were you thinking?!?".

:)
    It seems the game now gives you a signal for the Degasi 'Shroom base. So, I assume the DEVs now want us to head there after the island but before hitting the Aurora. That cave is where I picked up a TON of magnetite. It's pretty crazy for me to go there *before* the Aurora. It used to be:

1. Get the Depth Module from the Aurora
    2. Head to the 'Shroom Cave base using (1)

Chicken versus Egg: Chicken is the Depth Module from the Aurora, Egg is the 'Shroom cave *below* default depth of Seamoth.

I find it completely inexplicable how they now want us to head to the 'Shroom cave first!!

o.O Same! What, are we expected to bring a line of pipes down there? Because unless they've added early game moonpools *and* stations, you *can't* build a module to go deeper, so you'd need to do it 'manually' and pray you didn't wipe out. And I sure as shift wouldn't want to be swimming around there without a seamoth to run to for air. I'm really impressed you managed it.

I love how dangerous the jellyshroom caves are (I actually like areas that are necessary, and feel like a risk even so) but there are limits!

Actually, in looking at it, if they made the moonpool easier to find than it used to be, that might be the intention: craft a moonpool and station, then create your own module.

The materials for the moonpool are early game material, as are the materials for the module and the station. And the station is easier to find than the moonpool to use it on.
    edited October 2017
    Actually, in looking at it, if they made the moonpool easier to find than it used to be, that might be the intention: craft a moonpool and station, then create your own module.

The materials for the moonpool are early game material, as are the materials for the module and the station. And the station is easier to find than the moonpool to use it on.

Where are you finding the vehicle mod station? Personally, I'm finding the Moon Pool very early game in the mushroom forest next to the Aurora. In fact, last game start, I found the Moon Pool when I went to check out the signal for Life Pod 4. I had the Moon Pool *way* early. But I forget where the Vehicle Modification Station is. With the recent bug fixes and changes, I start a new game every other day but only play a couple of hours before starting over yet again. :)

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    You "can do" the Shroom cave in the order they want you to. But I had to hold like 3 air tanks. So ferrying back magnitetite was really lame.

Where are you finding the vehicle mod station? Personally, I'm finding the Moon Pool very early game in the mushroom forest next to the Aurora. In fact, last game start, I found the Moon Pool when I went to check out the signal for Life Pod 4. I had the Moon Pool *way* early. But I forget where the Vehicle Modification Station is. With the recent bug fixes and changes, I start a new game every other day but only play a couple of hours before starting over yet again. :)

I could swear I had a lot of trouble getting the moonpool. Not 'no shards *anywhere*' trouble, but definitely wasn't easy. I seem to remember having to hit the Grand Reef to find mine. I found most of the Cyclops in the mushroom forest near the Aurora, I remember, but not the moonpool at all.

The Vehicle Modification Station, I want to say I found in the Grassy Plateaus. just kinda hanging out around the wrecks.

I am intending on restarting my game with the newest build to test out the 'game balance' with the recipes, but just hadn't done so yet.