Recipe changes - HUGE change to early game

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @Hulkie2345 Right? I spend as little time in the bulb zone as possible. Electric worms, bonesharks, mesmers, and reapers to the north and west. The place is a serious danger zone. Once you make it past the /gauntlet/ of bonesharks by the new biome entrance, it's pretty smooth sailing since there are relatively few river prowlers and the baby ghost leviathan is easy to avoid (walk on the left side!).
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    4 or 6 Quartz, 1 Titanium?

I think 6 would be WAY too much now that they made Quartz much less common than before. 4 Quartz would be far better than 6.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I agree with @garath Lithium is a bad choice for the Solar Panels, worse than Silver, due to Lithium not being present in the early game biomes: Safe Shallows, Kelp Forests, or Grassy Plateaus. A long while back, Solar Panels used to require unlocking by scanning frags, but that restriction for the early game power source was deemed excessive. Solar Panels needing Lithium without changing Lithium's distribution (a massive change to the materials system) would be worse than needing to scan frags.

Without Solar Panels, there will be no early game bases except unpowered ones for storage, requiring the player to race through them to store and extract items for Fabricating on Lifepod 5. This will completely distort gameplay.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    4 or 6 Quartz, 1 Titanium?

Maybe not quite that much quartz. However, I would think that copper or copper wire would be appropriate, and it makes logical sense. Maybe even table coral as well since it's used in the computer chip recipe, presumably in place of some sort of silicon substrate.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited October 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    A long while back, Solar Panels used to require unlocking by scanning frags, but that restriction for the early game power source was deemed excessive
    What about going back to this, but then letting the lifepod transmit power to any nearby base component (or make one of the three cells removable)? Maybe scale back the lifepod's power gen, so you're encouraged to look for alternatives.

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    Jarin wrote: »
    A long while back, Solar Panels used to require unlocking by scanning frags, but that restriction for the early game power source was deemed excessive
    What about going back to this, but then letting the lifepod transmit power to any nearby base component (or make one of the three cells removable)? Maybe scale back the lifepod's power gen, so you're encouraged to look for alternatives.

I don't know if that would work well. For me, right now due to the change in quartz. I stopped caring about solar panels. I just run on Bioreactors. So I basically gate myself like if they went back to frags. The Lifepod acting like a battery would end up making people lazy and not bother moving. But either way it's kind of bad. I rather make 12 bioreactors, to power the Water Filtration system. Than waste my time getting uranite or silver.
    edited October 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »

I don't know if that would work well. For me, right now due to the change in quartz. I stopped caring about solar panels. I just run on Bioreactors. So I basically gate myself like if they went back to frags. The Lifepod acting like a battery would end up making people lazy and not bother moving. But either way it's kind of bad. I rather make 12 bioreactors, to power the Water Filtration system. Than waste my time getting uranite or silver.

Well, just one small problem, now the bioreactor requires a Wiring kit--i.e. 2 Silver per bioreactor....

Like you, I'm a huge fan of bioreactors. I put grow beds with melons next to each bioreactor to keep it stocked. Then, when I feed myself melons, I drop a couple in each bioreactor. But now that bioreactors take the precious silver, I may take a hard look at nuclear for the first time.
    edited October 2017
    garath wrote: »

Well, just one small problem, now the bioreactor requires a Wiring kit--i.e. 2 Silver per bioreactor....

Like you, I'm a huge fan of bioreactors. I put grow beds with melons next to each bioreactor to keep it stocked. Then, when I feed myself melons, I drop a couple in each bioreactor. But now that bioreactors take the precious silver, I may take a hard look at nuclear for the first time.

I see Bioreactors better than all other power sources. Solar panels and nukes have draw backs. I deal with the scarce silver only 12 times. I stock pile wiring kits. After that, breed crabsquid forever. I don't need to waste my time going to the Lost River. Or have night time affect me. I'll work hard at the start. Than I'm set.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

I see Bioreactors better than all other power sources. Solar panels and nukes have draw backs. I deal with the scarce silver only 12 times. I stock pile wiring kits. After that, breed crabsquid forever. I don't need to waste my time going to the Lost River. Or have night time affect me. I'll work hard at the start. Than I'm set.

I personally use sandsharks for power. They're easy to get.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    If you want to make solar panels less useful for energy, just make them less useful for energy.

Maximum of, say, 3 solar panels. After that, they do nothing.

Alternatively, lower the amount of energy they give, so the bioreactor is more appealing later (and of course thermal/nuclear, depending on where you are).

Alternatively-alternatively, just remove the ability to channel power. People are less likely to build massive solar farms and channel the power if there's no power channels.

Alternatively-alternatively-altneratively (whew!), make the power drain *itself* automatically when it's dark for each solar panel. It drains less than it raises, so in the day it'll refill easily enough, but at night, if you're doing stuff, you're in danger of running out.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, about that quartz rarity: Quartz is not rare. You just have to know where to look. Blood Kelp forests are overrun with the stuff, as are cave systems in the Safe Shallows (as well as the three gigantic coral tubes), cave systems in the Grassy Plateaus, and in the Grand Reef.
    Yeah it's common in Blood Kelp. But you will be making lots of back and forth runs. Unless you wait till you have the Cyclops.
    Yeah it's common in Blood Kelp. But you will be making lots of back and forth runs. Unless you wait till you have the Cyclops.

Or, Seamoth with 3 storage (plus depth)

I prefer 6 lockers full of quartz :P

I prefer 6 lockers full of quartz :P

LOL.

Well, when you realize just how much you can get--and how quickly--you decide... You know what... I think I'll just store all my Quartz in the Blood Kelp zone. :)

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Its definitely more rare, but really there is probably the same amount of quartz once you account for the amount that seems to have been dispersed into the grassy plateau. I don't really mind the silver being in the solar panels, its definitely limiting, but not too badly. I only really need one early game with a bit of power management.

My current run is being limited by both copper and silver, but once I get another depth module for the seamoth I know I can haul in copper by the ton whereas silver really has no major areas until you get the drill arm. Quartz is needed rarely enough that just grabbing a few everytime I see a cluster is sufficient so far. I do really like the use of mid and late game items to build objects in the mid to late game instead of practically everything requiring just titanium, copper, quartz, and silver.
    Playing through the experimental, I am actually finding a *derth* of lead. I understand how at some point you will definitely want less of it, but at the part of the game I'm in right now, it would be nice if I could find some more.

I'm not sure how to balance that out for later in the game. Maybe make lead like lithium, and be able to find grabbable deposits?
    Kurasu wrote: »
    Playing through the experimental, I am actually finding a *derth* of lead. I understand how at some point you will definitely want less of it, but at the part of the game I'm in right now, it would be nice if I could find some more.

I'm not sure how to balance that out for later in the game. Maybe make lead like lithium, and be able to find grabbable deposits?

Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any large lead deposits this time around.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any large lead deposits this time around.

I think if you go deeper you can find some
    edited October 2017
    Yeah. There's absolutely none at/near the surface. Although since I haven't been able to find gel sacks yet for aerogel, that doesn't yet hurt me *too* much. I wouldn't be able to create it anyway. ;)

I was more meaning actual chunks of lead you can just 'pick up' like quartz, lithium, uranite, and salt.
    I miss the earlier Subnautica versions when quartz was common but hard to see during the day. At night, it practically glowed, and you could go swimming and return with TONS of it
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    I think the main issue with quartz isn't its accessibility, but rather its use. I'm usually packing a lot of quartz before moving to a new base because having to spend 2 quartz for each glass becomes a burden. Windows, tables, aquariums, chargers, etc... I'd rather have glass be made of a single quartz if it becomes less accessible.

I'm quite surprised to hear you say you can't find lead. I started a game in [55058], and two hours in, I have 20 lead in a locker collecting dust.

I'm quite surprised to hear you say you can't find lead. I started a game in [55058], and two hours in, I have 20 lead in a locker collecting dust.

The RNG is a harsh mistress.
    Trade you for the five dozen gold I've got?

.... well, 20 or so.
    I will trade you silver for Cave Sulfur. How about 5 Silver per Cave Sulfur?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members

Wait... Seamoth storage stacks???

sorry torpedo system, i've just now lost the one and only reason not to get rid of you.
    edited October 2017
    I never use the torpedoes or decoys. Such a waste of time. Silent running, Stasis Rifle, perimeter, and shield ftw.

If the game has only one form of multiplayer. I'd love the ability to trade resources to friends. Me and a friend will be playing Sub at the same time. He'll have 40 pieces of copper laying around. And I have 1.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited October 2017
    I see the problem, but leaning on silver isn't a great choice either. Anyone have some alternate suggestions on how to make early base power not-prohibitive, while still having a good reason to upgrade to other generators?

I mean, this would be easily solved if there was a real reason to build deeper bases, but that's currently entirely unnecessary, and I don't see that changing before release. We're limited mostly to numbers and recipe tweaks at this point.
    Looks like we have the latest development here. Still need a reason to build deeper though, otherwise this will just encourage new players to stay in the safe shallows even more.
    Dev update wrote:
    Balance: Nerf to Solar Panels; Half storage and greatly increased light falloff per depth
    Edit: Also this
    Dev update wrote:
    Balance: Doubled power output of bio reactor
    Getting there, maybe. It's a decent progression now, anyway.
    I think the change to solar panels is quite excellent. I use solar for my first temporary base close to the surface but then make the switch to bioreactors. That power source works at any depth. Also, shortly after they nerfed solar, they buffed bio with double speed power production. Hurray!