Recipe changes - HUGE change to early game

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    If you take the Seaglide with you after you build the Seamoth, it is quite possible to get down to just above the 200 meter point in the Deep 'Shroom Base with the Seamoth, then zoom down with the Seaglide, collect a couple of things and then hightail it back to the Seamoth.

Doing this a few times will get you more than enough goods and new blueprints to further your game fairly early on.

B)
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Kurasu wrote: »
    I could swear I had a lot of trouble getting the moonpool. Not 'no shards *anywhere*' trouble, but definitely wasn't easy. I seem to remember having to hit the Grand Reef to find mine. I found most of the Cyclops in the mushroom forest near the Aurora, I remember, but not the moonpool at all.

The Vehicle Modification Station, I want to say I found in the Grassy Plateaus. just kinda hanging out around the wrecks.

I am intending on restarting my game with the newest build to test out the 'game balance' with the recipes, but just hadn't done so yet.

Check near Lifepod 19. I've been consistently finding Moonpool fragments there. The trench where 19 is is also extreeeeemely good for finding Magnetite and Rubies (formerly Aluminum Oxide).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Check near Lifepod 19. I've been consistently finding Moonpool fragments there. The trench where 19 is is also extreeeeemely good for finding Magnetite and Rubies (formerly Aluminum Oxide).

Wait, what? There are Rubies in the game now?

Subnautica Wiki: Ruby

Huh. That seems so weird to me, suddenly changing elements drastically like that on a whim. But when I went to check online, it turns out Rubies are indeed made up from aluminum oxide...

So I guess it's actually correct now, but having it the old way for so long, it just feels wrong. :confused:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    @Tarkannen I was bewildered by the new recipes that say they require Rubies. Then, I saw a post from @baronvonsatan saying they just renamed Aluminium Oxide to Rubies--along with a most excellent place for finding a ton of them. Then, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. (I lucked out and found Aerogel there as well!! The location was the trench near Lifepod 19. Thanks again, @baronvonsatan!

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I forgot to mention it's also a good spot for Lithium as well.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    The Mobile Vehicle Bay is in pieces around the shallows, easy to get. I've consistently found Moonpool pieces in the mushroom forest by the Aurora for the past several builds. There's a fair amount of Lithium there, too, along with Shale outcrops that will sometimes drop diamonds.

The Vehicle Modification Station is now in a databox, which I /think/ is outside the two new wrecks near Lifepod 19. They're at, like, 180 meters depth, so you don't need a pressure compensator to get there. Bring a laser cutter if you can, because the Reinforced Dive Suit databox is behind a cut-able door in one of those small wrecks.

Also, I have been seeing fragments of the regular Modification Station between the mushroom forest near the Aurora and the bulb tree zone to the north.

Also, also, you can find all the Bridge and Hull cyclops pieces in that mushroom forest. Engine pieces are in the Jellyshroom caves and around the southern and western slopes of Gun Island.
    Oh, and you can get into the Aurora without the Propulsion Cannon. Not in or out by the near entrance, but through the entrance by the cargo bay door. It's a bit of a jumping puzzle but perfectly do-able. Same with getting up the stairs in the Prawn bay.
    It's a good idea to have a Propulsion Cannon anyway because you're gonna run into Bleeders.
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Oh, and you can get into the Aurora without the Propulsion Cannon. Not in or out by the near entrance, but through the entrance by the cargo bay door. It's a bit of a jumping puzzle but perfectly do-able. Same with getting up the stairs in the Prawn bay.

Even before the cave spider hit box bug, I would have said it is challenging to visit the Aurora without the Propulsion Cannon. Now, with a highly possible hit box bug for the cave spiders that seems to make them much harder to hit, I think is is double so. The game scatters what seems to be a nearly infinite number of Propulsion Cannon fragments around the Aurora. So, if you are visiting the Aurora without the Propulsion Cannon, you are doing so only because you are so otherwise bored with life in general that you want to face the gauntlet of cave spider death just for a challenge similar to jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute. Well, that's my opinion at least. :)

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Thanks to everyone who keeps updating this topic. I've not had the time to get into game to check out recent Experimental changes directly.

I also suggest a trip to the Bulb Zone wreck (the westernmost of the 2) for all the frags needed for the Modification Station. There's also a a Plain Pot and an Interior Growbed. I prefer Pots to the Int. Growbed, but for those who like it, it's there.

It's at less than 200m, so even a stock Seamoth can reach it. Because it's a significant wreck and in the Aurora Rad Zone to boot, like going down early to the Degasi Jelly Shroom Cave Base, I'd advise taking at least 2 spare High Capacity Oxygen Tanks. (This game, I actually went to the Degase Base after the Bulb Zone wreck, parking the Seamoth at 180m, switching to the Rebreater as it's safe going straight down to the base, then doing 2-3 swimouts down from the top of the cave to the base and back to the Seamoth.)

Extra tanks need to be swapped into the paperdoll while on the surface or in a base or vehicle to be charged, but swapping is now easy with drag-and-drop and can be done with no free inventory spaces. (In fact, drag-and-drop swapping works on all PDA displays with all items same on both panes.) The removed tank always ends up the rightmost lower of the same type of tanks. Practice swapping where it's safe as it needs to be done when under 45s of oxygen and right after getting back in the vehicle to recharge the tanks.

The Bulb Zone wreck also has an access on top that can be cleared with the Propulsion Gun, but it's not necessary to do so as all the wreck spaces are accessible with the Repair Tool and the Laser Cutter.

@garath I don't remember why I didn't have a propulsion cannon at that point. Maybe it was really early in the game and I hadn't been able to find the materials to make the advanced wiring kit. I didn't have a laser cutter either, but I just wanted to repair the Aurora's drive cores so that was okay.

Getting past the cave crawlers is actually pretty easy. Here's how: Don't stop running. That's it. You'll get tagged once or twice but if you keep moving and dodging, you'll get through with minimal damage.

Dealing with the bleeders was more annoying, but I was able to make do with my knife and just bashing them with the repair tool. If you time it right, you can kill them with the knife as they're charging you. They're relatively slow, so it's pretty easy to do. That's been my experience, anyway.

@0x6A7232 Seriously, flinging cave crawlers into the distance with a propulsion cannon is one of my favorite parts of the game.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Jacke I think you can swap by just clicking on the new tank, no need to drop it. If not, I did see somewhere that they were working toward it.
    Olmy wrote: »
    We're still adjusting balance, but i hear your concerns and here's some things I agree with:

1. Over reliance on silver in early and mid game recipes
    2. Over abundance of lead
    3. Propulsion Cannon's use of magnetite is inappropriate as we encourage use of the propulsion cannon in the aurora (which we expect to be explored partially before jellyshroom caves).

Potential solutions to these issues:

1. a) Go back to copper for beacons (replacing silver)
    b) Potentially replace silver in solar panel and bio reactor recipes
    2. Increase silver to 50% probability in sandstone (up from 45%), reducing lead to 20%.
    3. Simply remove magnetite from the propulsion cannon

I definitely think beacons should be made with copper wire. If they still need silver, you are effectively discouraging their use.

As long as the Propulsion Cannon requires magnetite, experienced players may *completely* explore jellyshroom caves before the Aurora. Meanwhile, new players will visit Aurora with no Propulsion Cannon at all and post many a negative review as they die to the many beasties so easily handled by the PC.

Speaking of copper, has anyone seen any large copper deposits around? They used to be all over the place all around the Aurora, but they're not there anymore. I think I've found two in my recent games. One was at the northern edge of the eastern mushroom forest, almost at the bulb tree zone, and the other was at the bottom of the western blood kelp zone.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I just having bad luck with my world-generation?
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Speaking of copper, has anyone seen any large copper deposits around? They used to be all over the place all around the Aurora, but they're not there anymore. I think I've found two in my recent games. One was at the northern edge of the eastern mushroom forest, almost at the bulb tree zone, and the other was at the bottom of the western blood kelp zone.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I just having bad luck with my world-generation?

Recource deposits have been drastically reduced on the surface and increased in the deep areas that was on trello I guess last week
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    Yeah. The ore deposits are basically gone. The sandy area next to the Aurora is basically junk now. Going down into the map is more a necessity to progress.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    edited October 2017
    Olmy wrote: »
    We're still adjusting balance, but i hear your concerns and here's some things I agree with:

1. Over reliance on silver in early and mid game recipes
    2. Over abundance of lead
    3. Propulsion Cannon's use of magnetite is inappropriate as we encourage use of the propulsion cannon in the aurora (which we expect to be explored partially before jellyshroom caves).

Potential solutions to these issues:

1. a) Go back to copper for beacons (replacing silver)
    b) Potentially replace silver in solar panel and bio reactor recipes
    2. Increase silver to 50% probability in sandstone (up from 45%), reducing lead to 20%.
    3. Simply remove magnetite from the propulsion cannon

1a. Straight up yes. No argument here.
    1b. Replacing the silver in solar panels, I feel, is hugely important. Requiring silver in bioreactors I don't find *as* problematic, as building bases that require more than solar aren't going to be massively necessary until after silver is more common. Especially if you are increasing the silver spawns. Solar panels, on the other hand, *definitely* need to be easy to craft if you want to encourage any early base-building.

2. I haven't played the new game yet, so I don't know how overabundent lead is as compared to what it crafts, so I can't speak on this part. The necessity of silver (at least at this point), on the other hand, definitely says to me that increasing silver *is* a must-have. So I think this would be a good plan on that side at the very least.

3. Yes. I understand the concept of why you want it there, but the cannon, IMO, is too necessary to exploring the Aurora. Unless you have made it so only deeper parts are blocked off, and the parts that allow you to get to the Jellyshroom caves are easily accessible. Which I would accept as well. I.E. allowing the player to get to the seamoth bay to pick up the depth module, but making deeper exploration requiring the PC.
    Early base building is okay. But only in Freedom mode. I just made 3 Bioreactors. So my power needs are okay.
    I forgot to mention how much I dislike Solar Panels needing silver. Early game, I want to use all my silver for the Habitat Builder and then for the higher capacity oxygen tank. It's quite a pain to finally obtain the Habitat Builder but then not having enough Silver to build a Solar Panel to power the base. Usually, I will do one of two things:

1. Leave my initial base un-powered and quickly swim back to the Life Pod for air, or
    2. Just let myself die since I won't lose anything.

Personally, I think that is a very bad direction for the game to take... You don't have enough resources to power you very first base that was a royal pain to obtain because of what seems a more complicated Habitat Builder recipe. So, you leave it unpowered... or, you just die in your very first base.

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    garath wrote: »
    I forgot to mention how much I dislike Solar Panels needing silver. Early game, I want to use all my silver for the Habitat Builder and then for the higher capacity oxygen tank. It's quite a pain to finally obtain the Habitat Builder but then not having enough Silver to build a Solar Panel to power the base.
    I agree, it is painful having the Solar Panels need Silver. I ran my initial base under Lifepod 5 on 1 Solar Panel for a long time, then only upped it to 2 when I switched to using a Fabricator in the base and needed more power storage to not black-out overnight. My new base near the Grand Reef still only has 2 Solar Panels. When I get the mats for Water Filtration Machines, I'm going to need more.

Obviously, the devs are wanting to limit base power by requiring power sources to include a rare and commonly used material in the blueprint. To some degree, Quartz does this for Solar Panels too as Quartz is now a much less common mat with similar lower use in blueprints. However, having the power sources use Silver just pushes the demand on Silver to the limit.

Perhaps power sources (and the Power Transmitter) could be switching to needing Gold and not needing Silver? Along with Quartz for Solar Panels, this would still limit power sources in the early and middle game.
    @garath You hit the nail on the head. There are too many priority items in the early game calling for the same rare resource. I have had a couple games recently where I didn't build a base until I had the blueprints for a bioreactor and MPR because I didn't want to bother with solar panels.

I also find myself going for a nuclear reactor when I can, because it's the only thing that can support a water filter machine. It's like, if I want one or two water machines, I can have 12 solar panels, or 6 bioreactors, or 5 thermal plants... or 1 nuclear reactor. Uraninite can be in some hard to reach places, but when you can get to it, it's plentiful. That's my reasoning, anyway.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    I think I get the thought process behind adding silver, though. As it stood before the change, if you were even remotely close to the surface, there was little or no reason to build anything other than a huge solar farm. Basically they were underpriced compared to every other form of power generation.

I see the problem, but leaning on silver isn't a great choice either. Anyone have some alternate suggestions on how to make early base power not-prohibitive, while still having a good reason to upgrade to other generators?

I mean, this would be easily solved if there was a real reason to build deeper bases, but that's currently entirely unnecessary, and I don't see that changing before release. We're limited mostly to numbers and recipe tweaks at this point.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Easy: require Lithium. Why? Well, the Solar Panel isn't just a panel, it also stores (quite a substantial) amount of energy, and for that, it need to have a battery inside. Enter Lithium.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Easy: require Lithium. Why? Well, the Solar Panel isn't just a panel, it also stores (quite a substantial) amount of energy, and for that, it need to have a battery inside. Enter Lithium.

Silver is a rare element. But at least it exists in the starting zone. On the other hand, don't you have to leave the starting zone to even find Lithium? Isn't the closes Lithium in the Mushroom Forest on the side of the Aurora?
    If you changed it from Silver to Lithium, I don't think you've improved the situation. At best, you've kept it roughly the same. At worse, maybe you've made it worse. I guess it depends upon how you look at it. Yes, Lithium is not as rare as Silver and is easier to find. But, on the other hand, it's not close by. So, you have to leave the zone to find some.

I think the DEVs have to identify why they changed the recipe in the first place. Did they do it because they wanted to prevent players from building an infinite number of Solar Panels? Or, did they do it just because there was suddenly a surplus of Silver with nothing to build with it?
    garath wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Silver is a rare element. But at least it exists in the starting zone. On the other hand, don't you have to leave the starting zone to even find Lithium? Isn't the closes Lithium in the Mushroom Forest on the side of the Aurora?
    If you changed it from Silver to Lithium, I don't think you've improved the situation. At best, you've kept it roughly the same. At worse, maybe you've made it worse. I guess it depends upon how you look at it. Yes, Lithium is not as rare as Silver and is easier to find. But, on the other hand, it's not close by. So, you have to leave the zone to find some.

I think the DEVs have to identify why they changed the recipe in the first place. Did they do it because they wanted to prevent players from building an infinite number of Solar Panels? Or, did they do it just because there was suddenly a surplus of Silver with nothing to build with it?

It's "fixes" the issue in that Silver is now available, and it makes sense. They'd need to add (scant) Lithium deposits at the base of the Red Grass zone, or something. It does already exist in the Purple Jellyshroom caves, though. Just nothing to point the player down there early enough.

Best solution would be to bring back the Accumulator and have solar only give you power during the day unless the Accumulator is attached to the base. :trollface:
    Why not just increase the cost of the solar panels with the more common materials? Easy to find and gather, but you're forced to make a decision on how much you want to spend for more power.
    4 or 6 Quartz, 1 Titanium?
    There is a prompt that tries to help new people about the Jellyshroom cave. But it really doesn't help. There's also a new prompt for the ILZ shortcut entrance in the Bulb Zone. But even with me knowing the basic area where the opening is. Prompts are still not good enough to get the players attention. Especially with new people avoiding the bulb zone. With the Reaper nearby.