Why did you buy Subnautica?

Comments

• Bolo_NikeBolo_Nike On Top of Da Sea Join Date: 2015-08-06 Member: 206842Members
    edited November 2016
    Its minecraft on an alien world with new, shiny, sciency stuff to explore. So why not. The scary things i found after though still freak me out though....... friggin reapers...

Also saw possibility of family survival like we did on minecraft. Since that's out just waiting to see what comes next because its all top rate.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    I've been a big fan of games similar to the likes of Minecraft and Terraria. These kind of resource-driven, exploration survival games are really fun when done right. I saw a video on youtube of subnautica and decided to pick it up.

If I narrowed it down to what the "wow" factor was that made me purchase and get so involved, though, I'd say its the art style. Even though the textures are relatively dull and the game is hardly in a polished state, the bio luminescence and creature design really nails the alien ocean aesthetic. The variety between biomes also keeps things interesting and fresh, with plenty of beautiful areas to explore. Not to mention the sound design is awesome as well. My first time exploring this game (purposely spoiler-free) was an incredible experience, being both afraid and amazed at the darkest depths the game had to offer. (And this was before the ILZ and LR were even added.)
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I bought it cause i watched a video of 5 Most Mysterious Underwater Sounds Ever Recorded and it got me spooked and i wanted a game about such spooky stuff, subnautica came close, got it.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    It popped into my Steam suggestions during a sale. The concept seemed intriguing (there really aren't that many underwater games) so I watched a few videos and fell in love with the aesthetic, as well as the fact that it has a story to go with its sandbox.
  • themaelstormthemaelstorm Germany Join Date: 2016-11-03 Member: 223623Members
    I was looking for new survival-building type games and I actually looked into a few at the time and put them on my wishlist.
    I started with Craft the World, had some fun but I was in fact interested in an underwater game. I grew up seaside (in Aegean Coast of Turkey) and I love sea and sea creatures and underwater fascinates me.

So after getting a bit bored with CtW and not finding what I want with Deepworld (steampunk) I thought I can give Subnautica a whirl.
    I was then lead to believe the game didn't have building at first so I was about to let it go... but I liked how it looked and eventually I got hooked. Last week or so I've pretty much played no other game!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I saw MagzTV play it and it looked freaking awesome. Relatively low price point didn't hurt either.
  • RabRab Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223890Members
    Well, the story goes like this. We have a new live in person that rents one of our spare rooms. He comes home one night, and me already buzzed really good with vodka he recommends the game. So I'm all for trying most anything at this point so went and bought and played it till it was time to pass out for the night. Been playing it ever since. I really enjoy the scenery, the exploration and gathering things to make things concept, I'm still accumulating the story line. Didn't do much of that the first night, I was a little hindered but its been great ever since!
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    I saw PBG play it. I wanted more. Then I saw Markiplier play it. Then I knew I had to have it. If only to build an Ocean Palace to rival even that of Chrono Trigger. And while it lagged the game so badly that I had to abandon my save, I SUCCEEDED IN BUILDING THE OCEAN PALACE.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Do you still have that save? You might be able to make it playable again if you clean your cache, see instructions in my sig.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Having played FPS games (my friends don't see the subnautica attraction!), I saw the trailer on steam, it looked beautiful. I liked the idea of being able to dig the sand. I liked crafting stuff. I liked the idea of exploring at my own pace and not being pushed on to the next step before I personally am ready to go there.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    At the time it was being likened to Minecraft, building bases in the deep sea of an alien planet with friends, so basically I wanted procedural server based multi player only to find its actually single player :(
  • Fitz0uilleFitz0uille France Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215682Members
    Survival and water !
    Clearly not regret my purchase and wait for an DLC or a second opus with cooperative multiplayer (up to 4)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Saw someone play SN and fell in love with all the pretty fish. Money was tight, however, and I had to be super sure before spending it on something as non-essential as a computer game, so I just started browsing YT for videos for more info. The ocean was gorgeously rendered, the plants glowed in the dark, there was a huge beast that could rip your tiny ship apart... and when I saw Jacksepticeye build his ridiculously huge base, I knew I had to have the game.
  • MasterJediKniteMasterJediKnite Join Date: 2017-07-11 Member: 231761Members
    I have loved Subnautica ever since i saw IGP (great YouTuber, go check him out) play it. I saved up enough money. Bought some steam cards. My first Steam purchase (and best purchase). Now I play it all the time.

Thank you IGP for introducing me to the BEST game in the world.

AND

THANK YOU UNKNOWNWORLDS FOR THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!

IGP
    UNKNOWNWORLDS
  • cyberfish2944cyberfish2944 iowa Join Date: 2017-07-02 Member: 231531Members
    I`m 61 years old. All my life i loved the idea of living under the sea. I was and still am a devoted fan of "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea" I have watch and own most of the movies out that deal with the subject of a underwater lifestyle. This is a natural choise for me. The only thing better is if you all decide to build a second version that will be more of a RPG ,explore ,settle game.
  • SilentmanSilentman Bratislava, Slovakia Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230963Members
    After enjoying the hell out of Natural selection 2 I went to see what other games the developers did/are doing. Instantly realized I have to buy and play subnautica. And support these awesome devs. :)
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Looks like a bit of a necro here, but it's a good topic and I'm glad to see it resurrected.

I put Subnautica on my wishlist after watching a significant number of YouTube videos about it. When it was on sale, I went ahead and got it.

The main things that drew me to the game were the beautiful underwater setting, exploration, base building, and the promise of a interesting sci-fi world and story. Far too many survival sandbox games don't really have a goal other that to survive as long as you can (gets boring very quickly). I was excited to see a game that promised to take the elements of a survival sandbox and give them a purpose.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I bought it when I was at the beach. I'm the nephew of a late marine researcher, and I have always loved the ocean. So when I saw this on steam - I was like "ooh! Underwater survival! That's different!" I was not disappointed.

P.S. I bought the game right after the crash zone update, so it was fairly devloped, but wasn't mainstream. Bought it for $10. Worth it.

That's right, I played this game before it was cool. B)
  • sontarsontar Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231777Members
    I enjoy the water, and think it is cool, not to mention, I saw a friend of mine play it, and it is a beautiful game. It looks amazing
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    I bought it because Peepers are tasty!!!!
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I bought it because Peepers are tasty!!!!

Especially with some good tartar sauce.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I watched some youtuber or another, can't for the life of me remember who it was, I might not even be subscribed to them anymore.

It seemed to be an open world, underwater survival type game, with the potential to be expanded to include tons of building, and lots of features to explore, with fun survival mechanics.

I mean, I guess it's still underwater..........

I'm really not pleased with the direction the games taken, and it feels like there is a growing number of people who agree with me. The story feels half baked, with lots of tired tropes (oh look, ancient aliens with physics-bending technology, high-tech buildings that look strangely like some sort of temple, and a tendency to leave incredibly dangerous things around where anyone can pick them up. Not like exactly that has ever been done in every scifi ever).

The "no weapons" policy seems less than idea on it's own, but when you make the whole map absolutely thick with creatures that's AI could have been ported directly from a zombie survival game, it makes for incredibly tedious gameplay consisting primarily of either memorizing aggro ranges and staying out of them, or circle strafing around them.
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    I got the game because of a Youtube series, as well, but they've actually made a really awesome story around the survivor being in contact with the corporation and getting real-time help.
  • ArzakhanArzakhan Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231781Members
    I really love science so this game got me buzzing after watching a large amount of markiplier's playthroughs, if you haven't watched them, you so totally should, and I was enthralled by the concept, although I do have a fear of the ocean. Like markiplier. I thought this was the perfect game, and other than some of the bugs and the game not working sometimes, it is.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    Thalassophobia, what really drew me towards it was how alien the fauna was mirroring some of the strangest features of oceanic life here on earth. sure its not in any way classified as horror, SN is easily the one most terrifying games i ever played, i dont say that often even as an avid horror fan in gaming: plays it on hardest settings and 7.1 DTS (>dolby) high end surround sound gaming headphones. got more than i bargained for when i initially bought this game. sure originally it was an impulse buy, tried it once and never really took the time to properly invest my time solely on the game after 9 months X1's release. whwn i did it good timing, thats when they added the most intense parts like containment & prison
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I heard about Subnautica from the dudes over at Space Game Junkies. It was last August and I'd been lucky and hadn't paid attention to all the talk about No Man's Sky. Subnautica was described as doing the lost-on-a-planet experience in a much better way. So I checked it out, liked what I saw, and bought it. And I've just cracked 500 hours on the game.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    I bought it after watching Jacksepticeye play it (BEFORE the dyed hair). After playing it I became addicted to it and now I have over 700 hours in it on Steam.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I needed something to whet my appetite...
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I bought it because I god damn love the ocean. I would never go in it, because we don't know so much about it, and sharks are a big fear of mine, but Jacksepticeye and Markiplier's series really got me into it. When I saw the gun for the first time, I just stopped the video and bought it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So technically you bought it at gunpoint @CaptainFearless :D