Why did you buy Subnautica?

13»

Comments

• Superstrider06Superstrider06 Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231813Members
    I bought Subnautica because I watched some youtubers play it so I got I got it on the Xbox One, at the time i didn't have a comeputer that could run steam :D
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited July 2017
    Best joke I've heard all day
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    So technically you bought it at gunpoint @CaptainFearless :D
    badumtiss.gif
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    because it was an awesome game.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The reason to answer the OP is probably gone as this thread is a revival. But for the devs:

I was always searching for a rich and beautiful open world underwater game with exploration and crafting and no one really did that job. The peace focus is a bit too much for me, but I rather liked it then a game where I'd fire guns underwater permanently and without any physical water impact. The game felt good being underwater while being a bit relaxing and without the shooting pace. Additionally no AAA companies focused on games of that type. We have dozens of planet and space games popping up, but not a single good underwater one.

And when I look at NMS with a procedural but faceless world where everywhere is nowhere I'm glad of the restricted open world with a persistant face of Subnautica. Size doesn't matter if the world has no face and without a face an open world is meaningless. So I'm happy with the small part of the Subnautica world, which is really big for me to hold enough place for future secrets.

Maybe I missed the game having not enough underwater physics, a bit too less crafting and a very bad Cyclops playability, but the overall underwater world experience is unmatched for me. I'm probably all in for kickstarting Subnautica 2 once this game is released.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Was a suggestion from STEAM way back and watched it's development for a year before buying it.
    Got it just after the Crash Zone update.

B)
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I played minecraft for like 3 years before I found subnautica and I loved every second of it. Found subnautica looked like another great survival game. So i bought it
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    Because a friend of mine convinced me to. Somehow when I first saw the game I clicked "Not Interested", must've been a misclick or I saw the underwater habitat building (Habitat Update 1.0 just came out then) and thought that was all there was to the game. Friend of mine saw that they were planning on adding MP at the time, thought it had MP already, and bought it and convinced me to too so we could play together. We both started playing it in singleplayer and loved it enough that we didn't mind the fact that it didn't have multiplayer like my friend thought it did.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    It's all Markiplier's fault. Saw one of his videos of the game last year, and soon the game went on sale. Had to buy. :)
  • Iridian_RaingemIridian_Raingem U.S.A Join Date: 2017-07-20 Member: 231931Members
    I still don't know if my computer can run it, but if it can it'll be because I've been watching Markiplier play it.
    I got Don't Starve for the same reason, and I love it!
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    The base building looked awesome
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    A good video game is like a good book in that it opens up new perspectives and occupies one's thoughts. This game does these things for me and very well. Technological advancement of our race has always been a drawing card for me and likely has something to do with a hope for a Utopian future. The survival scenario where I can not only survive but flourish is rewarding. Like the game Skyrim, Subnautica's game world is immersive and attractive. It's a place that I could spend some time in.
  • fruitbat99fruitbat99 Join Date: 2017-07-20 Member: 231941Members
    I got it because I love how it can scare you so much.
  • EkksuEkksu Lost River Join Date: 2017-06-08 Member: 231016Members
    Ever since I was a wee baby ekksu, I've been fascinated by the concept of giant ocean creatures. Specifically sea serpent-like ones. That and ocean environments have basically captures my imagination for years. It started when I was ten with Morpha and the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time and the eels in Super Mario 64. It continued as I grew up with Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter. Just to see something so huge and to feel so small is an amazing experience that still gives me shivers today. So when I found out about a game that focused on nothing but the admittedly niche genre of water-based games with giant sea monsters, it was basically a no-brainer for me to fall head over heels in love with it!

Finding out the Reaper existed was like a godsend to me; I've never believe in something being "too big", but most games still shied away from the sizes Subnautica capitalized on with the larger creatures. It's just...fascinating.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Markiplier's "let's play" vids. I didn't know how badly I needed a game like this in my life until I saw the gameplay, and all the frustrating "WTF" and "you missed something obvious" moments I got from watching Markiplier do things. (Seriously-- if anyone can contact him, please advise him to stop swimming with a tool in one hand.)
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I saw it on YouTube and it looked cool! The game was a super early build but by the time I bought it it was the Shocking Update had just released. The submarines were my favorite part of the game that got teased. I also look at lots of concept art which really got me hooked for future updates. Some of the art even made it in the game. It just looked like such a cool concept. Alien planet, water world, DA FUTURE, and the unique biomes.

Kouji_San wrote: »
    I dunno, I just took the plunge...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited July 2017
    It might have been mentioned in the other forum I spend a ton of time on (Hard Light Productions, dedicated to bringing modders together, specifically aimed at the FreeSpace 2's Source Code Project):

Topic: Subnautica, or How I Learned To Love Deep Water (Read 3125 times)

I added it to my wish list on Steam, and snagged it on the next sale.

PS If anyone's wondering, I go by jr2 over there. No, it's not 'junior'. :# It's jayartoo :p
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    edited July 2017
    In this case, I used to be a hard hat diver (commercial, I used to wear that exact helmet in my avatar image) and there aren't a lot of games with a prominent underwater feature. So perhaps nostalgia. Also, I like a game with a story and survival.

Yes, I played Bioshock 1 & 2 as well. No, I am not a big daddy IRL.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    Mostly because of the developers. Natural Selection was such an amazing mod for Half-Life. In college I followed NS2 development from the start, listened to every podcast, and religiously read the forums and tried to contribute ideas.

I appreciate Charlie's positive attitude when I see him talk/write (and that reflects in his game design/ideas). Max's technical lead and effort put into the engine (that's a lot of headaches!). Cory's concept artwork and design is familiar yet original and pleasant to look (and always feels well placed).

They are just the kind of people you want to support and hope succeed. Maybe it was always a niche kind of game but I really wanted NS2 to do better; I'm glad Subnautica is finding popularity and it deserves it.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    I came to this game because when i saw it and read some of the details around it, i realized it's a lot like Deep Fighter in some ways, obviously the big difference being that you are not constantly in a sub and there are no lethal weapons. I used to spend hours on that game between missions just trying to enjoy the idea of being underwater watching fish swimming trying to go deeper down a gaping crack trying to hoist up a boulder with thorium sticking out the sides. I also played other game similar to that in theme; [H]ardwar, bounty hunter, G-Police and i always enjoyed just going around trying to take in the atmosphere and location the game is set in.

With all that said and done i knew Subnautica when i saw it would interest me enough to come out and play it. Turns out a real staying point about the game is the settings which i very well knew would interest me and an unexpected boon was the Peeper fish on this game, the noises it makes and the way it reacts drew my attention to it more than another other fish in this game. Then there is the resourcing and survival aspect as well, it plays towards other areas i have got a passing interest in.

It wasn't a risky purchase, it was one i knew would interest me and i have not been let down.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I simply like discovery and reaserch, pariticularily in the biological field. Alien life always gripped my curiosity and when I found subnautica I was captivated by the biodiversity of it all. This is why I strongly recommend the devs devote some time to adding more complex life after v1.0.
  • DarcekDarcek Israel Join Date: 2017-08-06 Member: 232263Members
    I bought this game,cause it deserves every penny.
    Its so addictive,at the time I started playing i played 5 different game.
    Subnautica took over,forgot about the rest.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Because it seemed genuinely unique. And that it is.
  • RhymesRhymes Ottawa Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232280Members
    My 13 year old son told me about Subnautica. He lives primarily with his mom so this has been a great bridge for those times I can't be there with him. It is an amazingly rich world and a developing narrative that we are loving to
    explore together.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    The endless YouTube videos looked like such a stable and fun-looking open-world exploration, survival, and building experience that $20 was a very compelling price, even knowing the game was incomplete. It seemed almost certain that even if I played for a month or two and nothing was ever finished, I'd get more than $20 worth of entertainment out of it (and I was right).

I STAYED, however, because witnessing and participating in how the community has shaped the Developers' changes relative to what they originally planned has been fascinating, both from a game design perspective and simply from a "people watching" psychology perspective.

Finally, the brewing battle between various factions of the video game market - so-called "Casual" gamers, "Hardcore" gamers, younger vs. older gamers, fans of genres that resent genre-bending elements - is writ large in the Subnautica forums. You can't satisfy someone to whom a "good video game" is something that kills and respawns them every 10 minutes with the same game as someone who has slaved away over a desk all day and just wants to unwind. And that is very telling here, or should I say on the Steam forums for the game.
  • SutremaineSutremaine Join Date: 2017-03-12 Member: 228860Members
    Bought it based on a YT LP. I liked the idea of soaring around in the ocean and finding interesting things to look at. The sound was pretty good as well, and the whole atmosphere of the game.