Build 268 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    :)
    Surround being fixed is a godsend.
    Only one or two remaining issues known (taunt sounds)

Ugh everytime I try downmix 5.1 it just feels wrong...... I guess if I really want 5.1 without muffled audio or things sounding in the distance I'd need actual 5.1 speakers.. using soundcards to downmix to stereo headphones works but just doesn't sound as good as leaving them on stereo :P
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Well loading on a regular hard drive is much quicker now, didn't get to test any gameplay or performance changes

But it looks good, by the way does this game have any type of like gamma control built in? I'm using the nsl low lights and I did adjust my monitor settings but I want it to be a bit brighter and didn't notice any gamma commands (just did a quick sweep cause I had to logoff)

Is it in video settings?
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited August 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    More shoddy IP spawns:

kFhkz3y.png

Did you even read the other post where I already answered this? You don't need to post this again. One IP is pre-placed and the other one is randomly placed in code.

I did indeed read your post. Was just showing it happens very frequently, this being the 4th time I've seen it. Maybe CDT can put a min distance between structures that are spawned randomly.

And I don't get why you're upset I posted another screenshot. Just because you've explained why it happens doesn't mean discussion should cease. Hopefully I don't get another veiled ban threat via PM for this post.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    More shoddy IP spawns:

kFhkz3y.png

Did you even read the other post where I already answered this? You don't need to post this again. One IP is pre-placed and the other one is randomly placed in code.

I did indeed read your post. Was just showing it happens very frequently, this being the 4th time I've seen it. Maybe CDT can put a min distance between structures that are spawned randomly.

And I don't get why you're upset I posted another screenshot. Just because you've explained why it happens doesn't mean discussion should cease. Hopefully I don't get another veiled ban threat via PM for this post.
    So the issue is acknowledged and you keep posting it? What is that going to accomplish? There is nothing to discuss.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    More shoddy IP spawns:

kFhkz3y.png

So the issue is acknowledged and you keep posting it? What is that going to accomplish? There is nothing to discuss.

I didn't realize it was acknowledged as an issue until now.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I don't know about anyone else but the exchanges between @Mendasp and @ns2isgood sound like an old couple bickering. :D

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I don't know if others have this too, but loading takes actually way longer for me now and I also get regulary crashes.

But I can alt tab now without the game freezing which is nice

What loading? Main menu, first loading when you join a server, mapchange or everything I stated there?

generally the server join loading times or when I want to open a sandbox game. So on first try I timeout after 10 minutes or something like that and on second try it needs 16 seconds to load in
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sebb wrote: »

1) You guys wouldn't be complaining about these changes if the compmod had a different name.

My point exactly!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @sebb, I read this 'cause it was you. ;)

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    I don't know if others have this too, but loading takes actually way longer for me now and I also get regulary crashes.

What loading? Main menu, first loading when you join a server, mapchange or everything I stated there?

generally the server join loading times or when I want to open a sandbox game. So on first try I timeout after 10 minutes or something like that and on second try it needs 16 seconds to load in

Did you try to open your console during these loadings to find out what's wrong? For instance, I had some issues with b267 'cause one of the files, the one about Bindings or something took so many time to open. I'd like to know if that's the same file or not, just being curious.

@bonage, I agree about the name but it was made initially for competitive scene so, when they released the mod, that made sense. Curious again, what denomination would be better in your opinion?
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    I agree about the name but it was made initially for competitive scene so, when they released the mod, that made sense. Curious again, what denomination would be better in your opinion?

It makes the most sense yes, but it suffers from an identity crisis from half of the playerbase that stems from the whole 6v6 is evil idea. Not much you can really do about it imo. It has always been like this, and there isn't much that can be done about it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer

Did you try to open your console during these loadings to find out what's wrong? For instance, I had some issues with b267 'cause one of the files, the one about Bindings or something took so many time to open. I'd like to know if that's the same file or not, just being curious.

yes I've done that. the only strange thing I noticed is that it seems to interrupt the loading of the map for some seconds to set pixels for the loading screens as they change
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    @BishopC‌
    Yes, balance was bad enough to warrant change. It may have "felt" balanced.. but it was not. Not by a long shot according to win rates.

@Martigen‌
    Some balance discussion that influenced these changes was in fact had here http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135131/ns2-balance-discussion-as-of-build-266#latest
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    2. Why completely overhaul the resourcing system which was working fine
    3. No, tunnels are primarily used to move quickly from point A to B. Spreading infestation is just an added benefit of a tunnel. For 1 marine to have the ability to very quickly take down a whole teams travel route is ridiculous. At what point was it ever known that Gorge Tunnels were OP and had to be nerfed?
    2. I assume by resourcing you mean starting resources and lifeform costs, not alien upgrades being decoupled from structures (which PTs were against when it was tested pre reinforced)
    Like i mentioned in here previously, cheaper lifeforms means less punishing elements and less slippery slope experiences (which effect pubs more!) to allow for more comebacks and greater variety in rounds, just like the decoupling of upgrades. As an added bonus it allows players more chances to learn how to play and it doesn't affect lifeform timings, i.e. when they first appear on the field.

3. Tunnels are used primarily to travel.. so in large pubs on average you see 3 tunnels within the first minute of a round, creating early map control - especially when they are reinforced with hydras, clog walls, whips, shades, constantly reinforced by skulks and a healing gorge while it takes you and another marine 20+ seconds to kill it if you've already cleared everything else.
    This makes that scenario more of a challenge now at least, so its not guaranteed PvE reinforced map control in the first minute of a round against pub marines.
    Remember when tunnels were on biomass 6 and aliens still had a 65% winrate?.... I am not sure the gorge tunnel scenario in 267 was healthy or necessary.

@the_tick‌
    the_tick wrote: »
    So let me get this right, to upgrade bile it costs 2 minutes and 50 resources now?
    And GL's only cost 30 to research?
    No, please read the changelog:
    Reduced Advanced Armory cost from 30 to 20 team res.
    Also, A reduction in armslab cost from 20 to 15 team res.
    But.. if you were looking for GLs as the counter to bile, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Oh and you can get that AA in 1:40
    Oh and you can rush Exos and get them ~ 3 minute mark as well.
    But none of that will help if multiple gorges can slip by your marines in the first few minutes.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    10+20 = 30 ? 10 for the armory, and 20 for the advanced armory

also, 15 (biomass1) 20 (biomass2) 15 (bilebomb upgrade) is 50 to me... Also, I did the math on paper, pre 268 it was 20+30+30 agreed? 20 and 30 for the biomass and 30 for the gorge upgrades. which is 80 resources,

Starting resources is 60?

Maybe for 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6 these changes are fine, but for 10 vs 10 + I can really see bad things happen once they know this is possible.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited August 2014
    sebb wrote: »
    1) You guys wouldn't be complaining about these changes if the compmod had a different name.
    What the hell are you talking about? I'm against it because:

1.) I don't like some changes.
    2.) It wasn't made public that such drastic gameplay changes were going to be made (and certain balance elements)
    3.) It's being forced on us right now, and a huge circlejerk of people are sticking with it and opposing any relevant argument on the subject.

If the makers of CombatMOD were apart of the CDT and suddenly CombatMOD changes were, silently worked in and forced, I'm pretty sure people would still be pissed.

These changes could have been made over a new workshop mod forked from compmod and given as a choice to server owners, then I'm pretty sure many people wouldn't be so "gosh-darn against change.". Instead, the CDT(&friends) kept getting upset over the difference of compmod and vanilla every time they joined a Hyperion server and felt it was a great idea to just push this entirely on everyone.

I played the entire last season(poorly) and loved some of the changes in compmod, only a few I hated and some I disliked. The thing is though, it was an option still to be played in vanilla or not.

Again, this is not about change, (Least, for most the relevant posts.) it's about the intentions and development path of the CDT currently.

So stop posting your stupid proverbs and quotes about change in a subtle attempt to say "fuck you" to everyone making a relevant complaint.

And yes, saying "I'm not happy with X being in Vanilla." is a relevant complaint and if you can't see why it is then maybe you should put more thought into it.
    Golden wrote: »
    As for this, I don't know how anyone can take such a situation and forget that if you're going from 2 Fades and 1 Skulk to 3 Fades and 3 Skulks, that you're going to have 6 other marines around. What are they doing in your situation? Phase gates are very strong in pubs simply due to the 'sheepherder effect' where everyone spawning phases immediately. You can't just pull one thing out and say "This! This isn't balanced!" You have to look at everything as a whole.
    Because it is a public game, and people aren't always going to be standing by on phasegates. The 3 Skulks/3Fades now will take down the gate lightning fast in comparison to before. People aren't watching their map, thinking logically... You'll at most 2-3 people on the marine team that actually do.
    Golden wrote: »
    If anyone has any specific questions about why something was changed, please post and we'll try to address it. General "I don't like change" comments aren't very helpful to anyone.
    They should be, since they give you insight on the community. Some don't like change, you like change. Why do people need to respect the latter instead of the former? Especially since, anything that isn't as plain as that comment is being completely shutdown and circlejerk voted down. Just look at my past posts so far. I'm sure with everyone being disagree voted that states something against this patch is just foaming at the mouth to post and just see several different people disagree their post and then have 1 person reply with a completely one-sided statement that will surely encourage them to voice their opinion again.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    But none of that will help if multiple gorges can slip by your marines in the first few minutes.
    It's a pub, @IronHorse. Not everyone is going out of their way to plan logically/ahead. Least, I hope you were being sarcastic... Counter-arguments like this aren't helpful since you're expecting more from players than they usually give in public games.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you say you dislike X being in vanilla you need to explain why. It may be a valid complaint but is far from constructive.

I could say I dislike how prevalent alcohol is is American culture. Or I could say I dislike how prevalent alcohol is in American culture because I have seen the negative impact it has on people through all stages of life. Alcohol is easily abused and is culturally encouraged. It ought not be encouraged.

I should of used something from ns2 but that was on my mind but I feel my point was made.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Some specific stuff: basic skulk vs marine. Skulks have been terrible since the insane acceleration changes. Either nerf marine accel or give skulks acceleration back. Yes, aliens currently have better building power, but it's not worth sacrificing a balanced basic unit vs basic unit which all players will experience every game. Nerf alien economy if you have to, but un upgraded lmg marine must equal unupgraded skulks in power. Extend bite range, return the tiered bite cone too.

Fades: stooop. revert to shadowstep fade movement, leave blink, get rid of stab and vortex or dont it doesnt matter, and leave metabolize. pleaseee.

or just stop making such huge sweeping changes every patch. it's causing massive player loss in the long term.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    ceribik wrote: »
    If anything it should have been buffed in the sound department when shaded. Shade is suppose to hide sound when fully upgraded, but the tunnel makes an exit sound that can be heard on the other side of the map. It's ridiculous. A shade at the very least should reduce the exit sound.
    That sounds like it ought to be a bug.

Yes, it is a bug
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    "Sweeping changes every patch" ????.......
    Is this the first time you've checked in since build 250 / a year ago? :-P
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think when there are six aliens dry-humping an unattended phase gate, the exact amount of damage half of them happen to be doing to it is the least of your worries. You're not going to be saving that gate regardless unless the alien players make a colossal blunder.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    A random gler has something else to say about that.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And that would be the alien players making the mistake of tunneling too hard and allowing that GL to live long enough to do anything important in that situation.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited August 2014
    Lmao...okay we are obviously thinking of two different situations in our heads...but thanks for the disagree and the response to my offhand comment.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ball2hi wrote: »
    They should be, since they give you insight on the community. Some don't like change, you like change. Why do people need to respect the latter instead of the former? Especially since, anything that isn't as plain as that comment is being completely shutdown and circlejerk voted down. Just look at my past posts so far. I'm sure with everyone being disagree voted that states something against this patch is just foaming at the mouth to post and just see several different people disagree their post and then have 1 person reply with a completely one-sided statement that will surely encourage them to voice their opinion again.

There's a difference between not liking change because it's change, and not liking change for specific reasons. Going onto forums and simply saying "I don't like this change" and not giving any reasons as to why you don't like it isn't constructive and doesn't help anyone. It's just pointless complaining that serves no one.

If you came and said "I dislike this change because..." and then gave specific reasons why you don't like it, people would take you more seriously. If, for example, you said that you disliked the changes to the exos because you preferred them to be more mobile and less damaging, then you're at least coming here with a legitimate, well-formed argument. I wouldn't agree with you, and neither would a lot of people, but at least you'd be starting an actual discussion.

If you just come here and say "I don't like this because it changes things," how do you expect people to respond? It makes you sound like you're blindly against change of any kind, regardless of what it is.
  • TachiTachi moldova Join Date: 2014-01-06 Member: 192562Members
    Commander can't see anymore how much ammo soldier has. It's always displays as soldier is at full ammo capacity.