NS2 balance discussion as of build 266

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
After a lot of time with the game, there are a few things that I think need another balance pass:

The Exo
- They're too weak and expensive for their cost. They should be a tech path just as viable as JPs are currently.

- They should be given the ability to weld other marines and exos if the user purchased a welder while still in the suit. This would go a long way to increasing their survive-ability without having to take a light marine out of combat to babysit them. Exo trains would be similar to how heavy trains worked in NS1. Currently MACs are too feckless to consistently fill this role.

- A price reduction to be comparable to JPs. Give them an armor boost and slow them down to the same level as heavies were in NS1. The choice between the two tech paths is between mobility and slow moving, but heavy firepower.

- Make them so they can't be beaconed again. I really enjoyed this mechanic before it was removed. If aliens see an exo train coming, their best defense is to ready bilebomb to counter it, and rush marine start to force a beacon. Having an onos with bone shield can help as well.

- Remove the "very slow while firing" mechanic. If the base walking speed is slowed, this annoying implementation can be removed.

The Fade

- Remove vortex and stab and replace with a better mechanic. I would say metabolize is a good choice, but that would bring the return of super fades. I wouldn't mind personally.

The Shade

- It's ink ability is underused and not nearly as effective as heal wave and echo on the other chambers. Since its ability is highly situational (only really used when being ARCed out), it doesn't get used a lot. Some changes could be to make the ink cloud last longer. It's non-use is also because its uncommon to get shade hive first or second.

The Grenade Launcher
- Player damage could be reduced a bit. The flamethrower is powerful in its role (disabling), then then gl should have its own role (structure destruction). Some player damage is fine, but it seems unreasonable currently.

MACs
- They jiggle and stand still when under any attack. This should be removed. It would also be nice to not have them group up in a giant ball when you have more than one in a hotgroup. Either enhance the AI code for grouping, or give them a "scatter" key like other RTS use.

Grenades
- Reduce the primer timer animation. You should be able to throw quickly after arming them.

A lot of these things would have to be tested for viablity, but I think overall these categories are problem areas currently with NS2 balance.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Agreed on EVERY SINGLE POINT.

Expanding on the grenades though... I think the cluster grenade should have a more "clusters" and less damage on each (same overall). The effect would be that if it is detonated in an open area, it'll be roughly the same effect... but if it's tossed into a VENT... no more annoying vent gorge! :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Agreed on EVERY SINGLE POINT.

Expanding on the grenades though... I think the cluster grenade should have a more "clusters" and less damage on each (same overall). The effect would be that if it is detonated in an open area, it'll be roughly the same effect... but if it's tossed into a VENT... no more annoying vent gorge! :)

Comp mod has them currently start fires, which makes sense. A standard explosive grenade, or modification of the cluster grenade is needed for clearing vents.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Very nice list.

Exos:

A reversion to the old super tank exos is all that is needed imo, a price reduction with the amount of armor and firepower they had would be a bit off in the price/power ratio.

Grenades:

Faster throwing would be a huge step to making them more viable

I would very much like to see marines spawn in with a single grenade (when grenades are researched), that cannot be replaced until spawning (think the first bomb in cluster nades without the spread), with the option to purchase the more powerful variants.

edited for clarity
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    I would very much like to see marines spawn in with a single grenade, that cannot be replaced until spawning (think the first bomb in cluster nades without the spread), with the option to purchase the more powerful variants.

Now that WOULD be a bit OP. On TGNS for a while, cluster grenades were unlocked at round start (and the other types were enabled with AA). It made it impossible for aliens to chew down rez, as all marines had to do was chuck a cluster grenade over there, and that was a guaranteed skulk kill, without much of any risk to the marine or possibility for the skulk to overpower them.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    thank you for the feedback and the detailed list of thoughts. As I said in the clogcast, I will be making some minor adjustments in 268 with more a few patches later.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I would very much like to see marines spawn in with a single grenade, that cannot be replaced until spawning (think the first bomb in cluster nades without the spread), with the option to purchase the more powerful variants.

Now that WOULD be a bit OP. On TGNS for a while, cluster grenades were unlocked at round start (and the other types were enabled with AA). It made it impossible for aliens to chew down rez, as all marines had to do was chuck a cluster grenade over there, and that was a guaranteed skulk kill, without much of any risk to the marine or possibility for the skulk to overpower them.

I was thinking more along the lines of a weaker non-cluster nade that was unlocked once grenades were researched, ideal for vents or to force a skulk off of the RT, but not able to kill unless he is right on top of the thing, think a frisbie mine. forgot to mention the research part :D
  • ChaguiChagui Join Date: 2008-03-01 Member: 63773Members
    Very nice list.
    I would very much like to see marines spawn in with a single grenade (when grenades are researched), that cannot be replaced until spawning (think the first bomb in cluster nades without the spread), with the option to purchase the more powerful variants.

In ns1 the marines started with 2 grenades (if researched). I would like to see marines in NS2 spawn with 1 slowing grenade (yeah the one that no one buys because it sucks).
    aeroripper wrote: »
    The Exo
    - A price reduction to be comparable to JPs. Give them an armor boost and slow them down to the same level as heavies were in NS1. The choice between the two tech paths is between mobility and slow moving, but heavy firepower.

I once played in a server that had exos moving much faster, and able to jump. Also the marine jumps out when the exo got destroyed. I liked it very much.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Chagui wrote: »
    yeah the one that no one buys because it sucks

Oh you mean cluster grenades?

Pulse grenades > all
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have never seen Exos on comp mod servers.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I have never seen Exos on comp mod servers.

Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean Exo's haven't been changed.

Here and here are the current changelogs for v2 and v3 of the CompMod.

Pretty much /thread
    I've only ever played it a few times, but the comp mod does seem to work well in the overall flow of the game. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it "felt" good.

Perhaps some of those changes can be looked at for integration into vanilla? (ideally, I think we'd all want to play 1 game, and not have a comp mod be necessary)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2014
    I was thinking more along the lines of a weaker non-cluster nade that was unlocked once grenades were researched, ideal for vents or to force a skulk off of the RT, but not able to kill unless he is right on top of the thing, think a frisbie mine. forgot to mention the research part :D

I did some tweaks with a mod that I played for a few months. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204003592

I was trying to get cluster grenades used more in the early game, but they're still not very good at clearing vents like NS1 nades were.
    In ns1 the marines started with 2 grenades (if researched). I would like to see marines in NS2 spawn with 1 slowing grenade (yeah the one that no one buys because it sucks).

I do miss spawning with grenades when researched from NS1, as they got a lot more use clearing RTs/vents.
    I once played in a server that had exos moving much faster, and able to jump. Also the marine jumps out when the exo got destroyed. I liked it very much.

I don't like the idea of making them even faster. Make them slower, but more survivable and offer them as an solid alternative to JPs.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Sebb I stand to be corrected. Got to see EXO in Multiplay AUS last night. We wrecked them all. *BOOM. Love when they blow up.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe you should try playing on some servers that use compmod, because the vast majority of your wishes are in compmod at this point.

I like many changes in comp mod, but not all. I am only aspire to be a pubber. I still want higher level games though. Flamethrower changes specific in comp mod I think might be more powerful than necessary as I am calling for a slight buff, although I do really like the big buff comp mod gives to them.

For those that remember, we shall reignite the cult of the flamethrower again!!!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I agree with everything - and have mentioned some of these before in here - except for two things: A cost reduction for exos and the ability to weld.

I believe that'd shift their role a bit too much (and role confusion by being more spammable) by making them an obvious general upgrade and lean things into being OP once again (and possibly cause another kneejerk reaction). If they are beefier tanks, and can build, repair one another and have infinite ammo I think this is a bit much, and won't have as much depth as a result.

I think relying on a nominal 15% Armor increase but with more skill based movement abilities such as allowing the timed thrusters to work in all directions as well as removing any and all speed penalties, should do it. This provides a bit more of a skill curve by including timed evasive movements in an exo and even if it is relatively shallow, it doesn't overlap with roles that everything else (all macs and marines) already perform - and yet still provides the buff needed most with Exos: combat viability.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I agree with everything - and have mentioned some of these before in here - except for two things: A cost reduction for exos and the ability to weld.

I believe that'd shift their role a bit too much (and role confusion by being more spammable) by making them an obvious general upgrade and lean things into being OP once again (and possibly cause another kneejerk reaction). If they are beefier tanks, and can build, repair one another and have infinite ammo I think this is a bit much, and won't have as much depth as a result.

I think relying on a nominal 15% Armor increase but with more skill based movement abilities such as allowing the timed thrusters to work in all directions as well as removing any and all speed penalties, should do it. This provides a bit more of a skill curve by including timed evasive movements in an exo and even if it is relatively shallow, it doesn't overlap with roles that everything else (all macs and marines) already perform - and yet still provides the buff needed most with Exos: combat viability.

Those ideas seem like a more reasonable change to me than what I suggested. I didn't think about being able to build structures with the welder as an exo (which wouldn't be wanted). Price reductions could cause more significant balance issues as well.

It's hard to find the sweet spot between getting the "gg" coming from aliens when exos appeared, and the relative ease of killing exos now. The "not in your face" MAC change coming in 267, and maybe another behavior modification in a future patch will make them more useful attached to an exo as well.

I'd still like to see them not be beaconable again though, but I don't recall the balance discussions around the time that was changed.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Exos always felt awkward in ns2, sorta a gimmick. But now that it is in... I'm gonna throw random stuff out there -

I think exos should be a bit cheaper, but a bit weaker (in terms of armor). Maybe increase DMG and the whole directional thrusters deal. Increase JP cost to make the commander choose between the two.

Idk. Exos have always puzzled me in the ns2verse.

Maybe make them faster and have reduced speed on infestation?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's my personal opinion but I feel that exo's don't fit with the gameplay philosophy of the marine team at all, I know nothing can be done about it at this point but their addition was never additive to the marine teamplay and felt as if the marines had a big bulky Mecha-Onos that was a chore to keep welded.

Which of course is a letdown because(ns1 fanboy rant) back in ns1, heavy armor was everything an exosuit is and was still capable of filling the roll of a standard marine. (Building, welding, commanding, phasing)
    edited July 2014
    I thought their versatility made them too powerful. I remember in NS1, once the HA train with HMG + welder was out, it was game over for aliens 9/10. There are too many things different in NS2 to say HA would be better or not as we don't have devour (the HA counter), we don't have HMG (can't dps enough to make them fearsome). I just think the design of the game has diverged too much for us to recall back one specific thing and not think of what made it balanced in NS1 (which is missing in NS2 - I mean another specific counter or mechanic NOT balance).
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exo's are great for guarding base during end game from rushes, but its boring for the poor chump who's spent a chunk of Pres.

Would be nice to see them make a come back.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought their versatility made them too powerful. I remember in NS1, once the HA train with HMG + welder was out, it was game over for aliens 9/10. There are too many things different in NS2 to say HA would be better or not as we don't have devour (the HA counter), we don't have HMG (can't dps enough to make them fearsome). I just think the design of the game has diverged too much for us to recall back one specific thing and not think of what made it balanced in NS1 (which is missing in NS2 - I mean another specific counter or mechanic NOT balance).

The aliens have plenty of counters already, Onos has the bone shield ability, gorges with bile bomb, whips with bile bomb, crags with umbra. They wouldn't necessarily have to bring back the HMG for damage, I could see a heavy armor unit walking around with a personal minigun or railgun quite easily in addition to the standard marine equipment.

Of course all this cost money and it'd probably just be easier to get rid of exo's altogether, but that'd be a pr nightmare unless they replaced them with something better. So we'll just have to deal with the walking soda machine that'll continue being the noob trap and be balanced on for the rest of the game's existence.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I don't want to see overpowered Exos ever again. They just stood in the doorway and killed every alien and structure in side. I said it often, but I will repeat myself: If you make the Exo stronger, you have to make the Aliens stronger as well and this will result in a 3rd beta phase of chaos and months of horrible gameplay in the name of "let's try to change this and that, I think I found the holy grail".
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't want to see overpowered Exos ever again. They just stood in the doorway and killed every alien and structure in side. I said it often, but I will repeat myself: If you make the Exo stronger, you have to make the Aliens stronger as well and this will result in a 3rd beta phase of chaos and months of horrible gameplay in the name of "let's try to change this and that, I think I found the holy grail".
    Perhaps a new balance mod with the changes mentioned here only, to see how it plays?

The aliens have plenty of counters already, Onos has the bone shield ability, gorges with bile bomb, whips with bile bomb, crags with umbra. They wouldn't necessarily have to bring back the HMG for damage, I could see a heavy armor unit walking around with a personal minigun or railgun quite easily in addition to the standard marine equipment.

Of course all this cost money and it'd probably just be easier to get rid of exo's altogether, but that'd be a pr nightmare unless they replaced them with something better. So we'll just have to deal with the walking soda machine that'll continue being the noob trap and be balanced on for the rest of the game's existence.

I don't wholly agree with your statements, but I can see merit in your argument. But I LOVE your soda can description of an EXO!! I think I may has described them as walking tuna fish on the wiki.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    After reading about heavy armour I kinda feel like if the newer exos could weld, the'd basically be equivalent to HA/HMG marines.

And I'd actually be cool with that.

I dont think the thrusters should work in multiple directions for exos; aliens are about skill-based movement, marines are about positioning. Giving exos the ability to strafe around like mentalists will make them enfuriating to play against.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Yes, they were a bit OP before 250. Maybe they did a little too much damage.
    The trick is to get it right this time :D

...maybe a mod is the way to go, though.
    (Btw, is that modular exos mod still around??)