Build 268 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited August 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 268 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 Build 268 is now live on Steam! Although it has only been a couple weeks since the release of Build 267, we bring you this new build...

Read the full story here

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    What the dickens, was not expecting this. thanks
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Got a little bug, i was in the main menu while the server changes the map. After map loading i was blocked with the "main menu cursor" without the main menu on the screen.

Can't get out of this state, escape does nothing, no control response, the only thing i was able to do is to access the console where i saw very fast message displaying, i hardly saw "Call Stack" and "mainmenu.opened" or something like that.

Don't know if it is easily reproducible, it just happens me right now. I'll try to check it on my next play.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    Me: "Hm, I'd like to play Strike Vector again. All NS2 servers are empty, anyway. Lemme just download this..."

CDT: "Nah, dude, take this update."
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Remember guys, most servers are not up to date yet. Patience :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Can't connect to any servers through the server browser. I get Mod Error when I try to use quick join and it just says "couldn't establish connection" if I try to join thru server browser. Can't join thru steam either, "couldn't establish connection"

The server browser displays favorites and servers that you joined before, which may, or may not be up, so wait a bit until all the servers are updated and try again.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    my bad, I just woke up. didn't check the time stamp on the post it all makes sense to me now :p

stoked on checking out the fixed surround sound once the servers go up
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    :)
    Surround being fixed is a godsend.
    Only one or two remaining issues known (taunt sounds)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Remember that my items are the ones you like and everyone else worked on what you dislike.
    Sweet! So how long until NS2+ gives the perception that the vanilla game is bugged again? :D :P

• TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Fixed skulks not being able to wallwalk on Clogs."

this frustrated me so much .. thx for fixing and overall great patch
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Okay guys, this time I'm going to be the ever-present voice of nagging after each update.

While I do appreciate the effort the CDT puts into all this, and there are really, really, really awesome and important changes in there, I think some of those should have stayed in comp mod.
    Especially the readjustment of (most of) the ressources costs as well as the mix-up of the biomass system with the pre250 individual upgrade system seems to me like it's just going to mean a lot of re-learning for your average player without any real effective change to pub play.

On a more personal note, it always annoyed me to hell that I could never jump with an empty jetpack (no fuel in my legs?) until they changed it.

Now, I know you guys playtest this stuff, and I know that this has to be approved by a bunch of people to get into the game, and I am also aware that I haven't even finished downloading this patch yet, and we probably all will adjust to it sooner or later, but I still feel the need to share this opinion. Flood me with disagrees all you want, but on first sight it looks like you tried to fix a little too much this time :)

(Btw, is there a toggle for the red-flashing ammo counter? Because that's actually the only HUD element I ever found distracting :D)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Okay guys, this time I'm going to be the ever-present voice of nagging after each update.

While I do appreciate the effort the CDT puts into all this, and there are really, really, really awesome and important changes in there, I think some of those should have stayed in comp mod.
    Especially the readjustment of (most of) the ressources costs as well as the mix-up of the biomass system with the pre250 individual upgrade system seems to me like it's just going to mean a lot of re-learning for your average player without any real effective change to pub play.

On a more personal note, it always annoyed me to hell that I could never jump with an empty jetpack (no fuel in my legs?) until they changed it.

Now, I know you guys playtest this stuff, and I know that this has to be approved by a bunch of people to get into the game, and I am also aware that I haven't even finished downloading this patch yet, and we probably all will adjust to it sooner or later, but I still feel the need to share this opinion. Flood me with disagrees all you want, but on first sight it looks like you tried to fix a little too much this time :)

(Btw, is there a toggle for the red-flashing ammo counter? Because that's actually the only HUD element I ever found distracting :D)

I appreciate the feedback, but of course please play it for a couple days and see what you think then. I realize a lot of people have played some of these changes in COMPMOD but as I also said above, "inspired" meaning we adjusted them more or less depending on how we felt it would effect pub players.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Excited to test out the balance changes. They're some good ones in there. It's been a long time since a real balance patch came out.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Random thought: The jumpy new jetpacks remind me of the Dark Troopers from Star Wars Battlefront 2.
  • kesuga7kesuga7 Earth Join Date: 2014-08-22 Member: 198060Members
    wow this looks amaze

for a CDT this is better then some real professional studios :S
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Changes for the commanders, enough said.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    There is in NS2+.
  • LostWolfLostWolf Germany Join Date: 2014-05-11 Member: 195975Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First impressions:

- Glad to see a fix for the "bites not hitting" bug
    - Metabolize: Yay!
    - A bit sad to see Shadow Step go... it was a nice option sometimes.
    - Fade without movement penalty: interesting, could be good. Phantom+Stab, anyone? ;)
    - Individual Alien ability upgrade: Awesome, I've always wanted this ^^ More strategic decisions = good.
    - (But I think the Alien research table is missing Advanced Metabolize?)
    - Webs @bio 5: good, now we may actually see them being used
    - "Changed fade damage type to ‘light structure’ (75 damage base, ¼ damage to armor)." -> Umm... please don't tell me that Marine armor now has twice the effective HP vs. Fade? oO I don't see a change that would really counter-balance that.
    - Exosuits -> "Removed ability to be beaconed." - Yay! :D "Force beacon+kill the exo" is back ^^

Great job @ everyone involved :)
  • artemartem Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159587Members
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Wow. SO many changes to "Balance". How much what costs what for alien commander. Seriously. Holy wow. So many changes. Bilebomb.... structures costing 13 res instead of 10, upgrading from the hive rather than individual structures... metabolize... spurs veils shells now costing 15 res... jeesh.. so many changes...
    I crash every time I try to spawn in to a server :( i load up, join a team, then crash as soon as it's my turn to come out of the IP
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    I discovered the guy with the most badges in NS2.
    600736679B0571145EDC9A6808A2D58A63FF2149

PS: this issue is solved.
    managed to spawn as an alien finally, then crashed as soon as I did damage to a marine
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014

Honestly, even if you're completely new to the game, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 30 minute games to master the tech trees (in any of the many builds we've had). Even faster if you actually take the time to learn it in singleplayer.
    It's not going to affect any of the rookie players who havn't played alien commander before, it's only going to affect those few pub alien commanders, and they will get the hang of it real quick I'm absolutely certain.
    Sure there will be some frustrations, there always is with changes in this game for some reason - but in particular the alien cost changes, are not going to affect much in my prediction when it comes to pub. If anything, it only helps bridge between pub and comp scene.

I see what you mean there, but quite honestly - I think it's a good trade off. There is a lot more versatillity with the new jetpack.