Gorgeous Trailer Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Slyfox101Slyfox101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169370Members
    SteveRock wrote: »
    yeh descent is pretty damn..gor.... gorgeous. ugh.

I see what you accidentally did there.

Amazing trailer, excellent work. Hype!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    WOW. All I could think when I saw the babblers was.

SO CUTE!

Hahaha, nice work UWE. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out for you. Brilliant trailer Cory, the best so far in my opinion. If those cute Gorges don't sell this game, I don't know what will!?
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    xen32 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Let's hope the best :P
    peregrinus wrote: »
    It is in the video. When the skulk exits the gorge tunnel you'll see a couple of cloaked aliens.
    The new effect is more watery, less ghostly. Looks good! Of course that's from the aliens POV. May look different for marines.
    Yeah I did see that. I meant the Marine view, only thing that counts :)

Also I think it's quite impressive how much such a small team has done with the game (and the patch as well). Alone how long small side stuff like that Gorge toy model took to make, or creating the trailer...

Questions:
    1. Do Gorge tunnels need infestation? It looks like the Skulk exits somewhere where you wouldn't have infestation.
    2. I can see why they are called Babblers now. It appears the last one explodes?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    Let's get this game sold a bunch of times more so they can keep developing for many more years to come :)
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Fantastic job on that trailer. I was excited to see what the end result was going to be and it certainly lived up and surpassed any of my expectations.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So many things to get excited about, not least this:
    UWE wrote:
    Every existing map has been updated and enhanced for better balance and flow of play.

How you have managed to do all of this with a team of that size is beyond me. Absolutely incredible work, really!!
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    I wonder what Freud would have said about those "tunnels". I mean, there really aren't phallus symbols in NS2 but we have something different...
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The kharaa are clearly a feminine species :P
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i felt like that alien teleport entrance would go on the WALL instead of on the floor, forming almost a doorway for you to go trough so lets say you put one in subaccess and the other in cargo it will feel natural to pass trough it and out trough the wall. This is going to make you disorientated when you come out of the tunnel when the face gate is correctly facing any given angle of a choosing by commander.
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i felt like that alien teleport entrance would go on the WALL instead of on the floor, forming almost a doorway for you to go trough so lets say you put one in subaccess and the other in cargo it will feel natural to pass trough it and out trough the wall. This is going to make you disorientated when you come out of the tunnel when the face gate is correctly facing any given angle of a choosing by commander.

Yea I actually found it surprising too that you are 'taken into' the tunnel like this and you don't fall or have to 'jump out', it's immediately a straight horizontal stretch of tunnel even though it is built on the ground.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    hozz wrote: »
    Wow Gorge Tunnels are much shorter than I expected! This hopefully promises a lot of "ZOMG the Marines have found it and are coming through, who built that ####??!!!" moments.

Bear in mind that the exit might be covered in whips and hydras. What's an alien butthole tunnel for if you can't smother it in tentacles?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    What happens if the entrance and exit is destroyed while players are inside? Devoured?
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    What happens if the entrance and exit is destroyed while players are inside? Devoured?

Yes. When either the entrance or exit is destroyed all entities inside will die.
  • OpaOpa Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158555Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome trailer !
    Awesome music ! Who made it ? Need it in the Deluxe folder guys !!!

10 hours remaining =)
    edited February 2013
    Mindstorm wrote: »

Yes. When either the entrance or exit is destroyed all entities inside will die.

I hope they actually need to destroy both entries, else what's stopping a gorge from just luring multiple marines into a tunnel only to then collapse the exit and kill them all. Or even worse when there's exos and stuff using it... With such a huge risk, I don't see why marines would ever bother going inside a tunnel, it's bad enough that you can surround the exit with whips and hydras.

On a sidenote, wouldn't it be amazing if the tunnel slowly fell apart when an exit was destroyed and they'd have to rush to the other side? :p
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Xarius wrote: »

I hope they actually need to destroy both entries, else what's stopping a gorge from just luring multiple marines into a tunnel only to then collapse the exit and kill them all. Or even worse when there's exos and stuff using it... With such a huge risk, I don't see why marines would ever bother going inside a tunnel, it's bad enough that you can surround the exit with whips and hydras.

I'm not up to date, but I assume exos and onos cannot enter gorge tunnels due to being too big.

But I agree, unless gorge is prevented from destroying it, the gorge will just lure people in and kill them.
  • SeracSerac Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160108Members
    RadimaX wrote: »

The enemy's gate is down :)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    TimMc wrote: »

I'm not up to date, but I assume exos and onos cannot enter gorge tunnels due to being too big.

But I agree, unless gorge is prevented from destroying it, the gorge will just lure people in and kill them.
    Each entrance costs personal resources; you could use this as a strategy in theory although it's going to get expensive very quickly (and it's not as easy to execute as you might think).
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    TimMc wrote: »

Exos and Onos can use tunnels
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

On a sidenote, wouldn't it be amazing if the tunnel slowly fell apart when an exit was destroyed and they'd have to rush to the other side? :p

how would a gorge kill the entrance/exit?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Incorrect. Both ends need to be destroyed - then everyone inside dies.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    It is in the video. When the skulk exits the gorge tunnel you'll see a couple of cloaked aliens.

The new effect is more watery, less ghostly. Looks good! Of course that's from the aliens POV. May look different for marines.

Yes that is alien POV. Marines POV it looks way different and bad ass!

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    current1y wrote: »

Sooo eager to find out.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I liked the part where stuff exploded, especially the gorg... I mean skulks go boom. :D
  • SirChrisSirChris Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33248Members
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    and check out gorge toys!
    vSgHHiR.jpg

Aren't they adorable? :3
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members

So, that implies that Marines can SEE cloaked Aliens in some way?

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Paragon wrote: »

So, that implies that Marines can SEE cloaked Aliens in some way?

... or just the effect of cloaking/uncloaking. In a few hours, we will find out :)
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    edited February 2013
    This looks far better than I'd ever hoped it would. Even the "little" things like the reflections in the floor or the decals adds so much!

Bravo UWE! :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The gibbing looks cool, xeno is going to look awesome then :)