Gorgeous Trailer Released - Natural Selection 2

1235»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    After watching all of the railgun kills, I can't wait to try out the railgun. I'm really hoping that it will provide a 50 res option for a single railgun exo that sits between a JP and the dual exo. With good aiming skills and its ability to cause a HUGE amount of damage in one shot, this might be the weapon of choice against lerks and fades, not to mention gorges, providing a high accuracy option compared to the dual miniguns with no annoying overheat to worry about.
    I'll say this: one railgun and one dualie absolutely WRECK if done right (positioning)
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    It's interesting watching the current business model used by large publishers/developers in regards to 'AAA' games, if this was a AAA title under the thumb of some draconian publisher you could be guaranteed that this update would released as a dlc, splitting the community. UWE is one of the rare few who is transparent with it's development of games and genuinely friendly with it's fan base, ranking up there with Valve comfortably.
    Well done everyone at UWE, gorgeous update looks... gorgeous and I can't wait to get my hands on the update.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Janos wrote: »
    It's interesting watching the current business model used by large publishers/developers in regards to 'AAA' games, if this was a AAA title under the thumb of some draconian publisher you could be guaranteed that this update would released as a dlc, splitting the community. UWE is one of the rare few who is transparent with it's development of games and genuinely friendly with it's fan base, ranking up there with Valve comfortably.
    Well done everyone at UWE, gorgeous update looks... gorgeous and I can't wait to get my hands on the update.

If that were the case, we'd pay $1 to reload and repair our railgun exos 6 hrs into the game, because we're not price conscious at that point.

Also, look at 0:51. Gorge plushie. Do want.
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    edited February 2013
    If that were the case, (url omitted because the forum doesn't seem to know how to deal with it) we'd pay $1 to reload and repair our railgun exos 6 hrs into the game, because we're not price conscious at that point.

And one of the replies on the first page: "This would be perfectly ok with a free to play shooter" This is our future folks. Thank god I almost exclusively play older games ^^

Also, look at 0:51. Gorge plushie. Do want.

What's with that UWE? You want us to beg? Is that it?
  • Chubby ChuChubby Chu Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172576Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    After watching all of the railgun kills, I can't wait to try out the railgun. I'm really hoping that it will provide a 50 res option for a single railgun exo that sits between a JP and the dual exo. With good aiming skills and its ability to cause a HUGE amount of damage in one shot, this might be the weapon of choice against lerks and fades, not to mention gorges, providing a high accuracy option compared to the dual miniguns with no annoying overheat to worry about.
    Without saying too much I think you're going to like the update quite a bit.

Cool.

I was also just thinking, if we're going to have a fist exo, why not give it a knockback effect? Seems reasonable to me, the exo fist is made out of metal powered by hydraulics and nanites after all.

FALCOOOONNNNNNNN PUUUUNNNNCCH

That, or I think it would be awesome if you could hold a smaller alien in place while you unload your mini-gun / rail-gun in his face (belly?) :)

And if you grab an onos, he drags you around... Onos Cowboy!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Xarius wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i felt like that alien teleport entrance would go on the WALL instead of on the floor, forming almost a doorway for you to go trough so lets say you put one in subaccess and the other in cargo it will feel natural to pass trough it and out trough the wall. This is going to make you disorientated when you come out of the tunnel when the face gate is correctly facing any given angle of a choosing by commander.

Yea I actually found it surprising too that you are 'taken into' the tunnel like this and you don't fall or have to 'jump out', it's immediately a straight horizontal stretch of tunnel even though it is built on the ground.

exactly i felt the tunnel should be an opening in a wall, not on the floor instead to make it more seamless and better to orientate yourself.
    atleast make the tunnel U shaped if you gonna go supermario styled with it. this tunnel feels just like a separate room built somewhere in the map your passing trough to get to the other side of the teleport, just when you are choosing random spectate or teams. its a separate room that is not attached to the acctual map. i would wanna see this more natural flow, more believable almost integrated with the map.

Please don't whine before you even seen thing in action.
  • CoCoNutMonkeyCoCoNutMonkey Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11321Members, Constellation
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    If the tunnel could be placed on any surface then it would be very easy to build one that marines can't get into. I assume you can still do that, but not just anywhere. I do wonder if there will be some problematic spots though that leads to a tunnel the marines can't kill without jetpacks.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Tunnels on the ground prevent any wrong orientation confusion. Would be strange to enter westwards and exit eastwards, for example.

Also: it appears from the video, Exo players now get a slight outline around Aliens so they can better see them?
  • VengeurFantomeVengeurFantome Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48290Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see in trailers a little gorge doll ! :)
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In trailers, little gorge doll sees you!
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    the babblers look godlike... hanging onto lerk/fade etc... genius :o
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
  • Mr_JeburtOMr_JeburtO Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20340Members
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    peregrinus wrote: »
    and check out gorge toys!
    vSgHHiR.jpg

The art team really did an outstanding job with those. They don't look like gorges, they don't look like gorge plush toys, they look like what gorge plush toys would look like in a stylized computer game world. Just beautiful on so many levels.

I want actual plushies that look EXACTLY LIKE THAT.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @2:04, the *REAL* "Aliens: Colonial Marines". Well played, UWE...
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    So excited to play this tonight. Even if I have to wait til 12am after my DnD session. XD -geekout-
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited February 2013
    Anyone else just launch Steam, hoping the update is released early? @-)
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Isn't this getting released in 40 minutes??? 1500 PST, it's 1420 now..
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    no server will be open... i foresee much raging by joining a server when someone filled it a split second before you...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Sampson wrote: »
    no server will be open... i foresee much raging by joining a server when someone filled it a split second before you...

Lucky we can test all the stuff in private lans then!
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    The trailer is fantastic. I normally watch trailers once, maybe twice. I have watched this one 4x now, and going back for a fifth to see some of the more subtle things I missed.

The little babblers were not what i was expecting... they are far far better! Great idea and design!

And the rail gun. Wow. Love the thunk and chunk.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    only a half hour but i hope the exos aren't OP now.. wonder how they balanced it... i guess since gorge tunnels hurt marine armor may help some
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    So what's the first thing you guys will do? Change log reading and in game testing concerning railgun damage and performance is on my list. Then I will jump into the actual game.
  • BluPickleBluPickle Aix-En-Provence, France Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182881Members
    00:09 GMT+1. Still no update. So sad :(
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Want to play... now! Waiting for update!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Oh and Hugh is a beast with a railgun it turns out. Who would've called that?? o.0

There's no way that's Hugh behind that railgun! Good shootin Hugh!

I suspect in house hacks made especially for Hugh filming trailers [-( lol
    Actually, that is me behind most of the railgun shots. And I am that good.

That good at recording hours of footage and grabbing out the few seconds where I am actually able to hit something and make it explode.

--Cory