Gorgeous Trailer Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    edited February 2013
    TAPETRVE wrote: »
    Also, I assume there are no gore fx other than alien instagibbing by railgun.

From the press release page: "Graphics have been improved – Spark can now render the blood splatter"

There is also blood in the skulks mouth after a bite. I love it and don't feel like it is making the game any "darker". Feels like it needed to be there with Spark and NS2s sort of Near-Realistic art style.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    11PM! (UTC) Why do you do this UWE!? now my poor boss has to hear that i'm skipping work tomorrow so I can spend the whole night trying to squeeze myself into a gorge tunnel!
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    edited February 2013
    I wonder: What happens if a tunnel entrance gets destroyed while there are still players inside - do they all die, or can they still leave through the intact exit? If both entrances get destroyed, I assume the tunnel will simply vanish and all players inside die.

@Caturday: Yeah, of course there's blood splatters now, too. And, obviously, bullet holes. Maybe we'll even get burn textures for the flamethrower, who knows.
    @TAPETRVE I'm pretty sure the fire effects at the end of the trailer are new? Did flames always stick all over the walls? Never get to use the flamethrower! :?
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    OMG BABBLERS ARE ADORABLE CRAB THINGS. AND THE GORGE PLUSHIES ON THE GROUND, WANT!

And fantastic job on Descent! It's actually the first map (nothing wrong about the other ones!) where I really buy the idea that people used to live there.

Great ambiance and color. Gosh I wish other maps had more neon and different lighting like that.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    I love the decals on walls. It really adds to the already atmospheric game. I can't wait to try out the new build. I'm really hoping for some decent performance boost as well.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Oh man, finally! Can't wait to pop some fleeing gorges with the rail gun. That will be satisfying.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    @Caturday: Surface flame effects have been there before; they are actually 3D objects just like dynamic infestation. Decals are new.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Amazing trailer!
    And man this video still only scratches at the surface of how beautiful descent is...

Oh and Hugh is a beast with a railgun it turns out. Who would've called that?? o.0
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Oh and Hugh is a beast with a railgun it turns out. Who would've called that?? o.0

There's no way that's Hugh behind that railgun! Good shootin Hugh!

I suspect in house hacks made especially for Hugh filming trailers [-( lol
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Great trailer!

Hmm, Oni popping like watermelons? Too much? :)
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    yeh descent is pretty damn..gor.... gorgeous. ugh.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Railgun - Awesome.
    Descent - Very slick.
    Babblers - Adorable.
    Marines in Gorge tunnels - BEST THING EVAR.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My mind can't comprehend.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorgeous, a decent new map :)
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Very nice to see another colorful map. Brown and Grey is so last decade.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    Great job UWE. You make it worth waiting for. The new map looks beautiful and babbler's eyes are cute as f..k.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Wow Gorge Tunnels are much shorter than I expected! This hopefully promises a lot of "ZOMG the Marines have found it and are coming through, who built that ####??!!!" moments.

Is the new Camo effect in the video? I couldn't find it.

Funnily enough, the thing I'm waiting for most is to see the balance chages to the existing stuff (like Camo, or map changes) :p
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hozz wrote: »
    Wow Gorge Tunnels are much shorter than I expected! This hopefully promises a lot of "ZOMG the Marines have found it and are coming through, who built that ####??!!!" moments.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised as well. I envisioned a long walk for an Exo, making it too risky to be worth it. With this short jog I wouldn't mind rushin' through with expensive equipment!
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    I hope the babblers don't end up feeling too clunky.

It would be cool if shooting certain level materials (like a glass window) caused the railgun to reflect back at the exo. This would create a new reactive strategy for aliens to counter the railgun. It would be fun trying to lure exos into "glassy" areas.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Cory did a beautiful job with the trailer.

Music was pretty cool too!

So many gorgeous things...what a feast for the eyes!
  • ApocalipsusApocalipsus Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21838Members
    Really nice trailler guys, well done.

Btw is there a changelog anywhere?
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    derWalter wrote: »
    i give a ****, fix performance ffs.

i want updaterate 100, serverside fps @1000 and clientside fps never under 100 for 60% of the players.
    This sadly will never happen (or maybe it could with some JIT action). Lua is a design flaw.

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited February 2013
    It is in the video. When the skulk exits the gorge tunnel you'll see a couple of cloaked aliens.

The new effect is more watery, less ghostly. Looks good! Of course that's from the aliens POV. May look different for marines.

I4KPAJE.jpg

8uZeTgQ.jpg

Ff6kyeI.jpg

EvWCKYq.jpg

and check out gorge toys!
    vSgHHiR.jpg
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Oh my... Descent looks exceptional. The aesthetics are superb and fit my tastes perfectly, I am really impressed by the mappers. Amazing job guys. The Railguns, flying alien gibs, decals, Babblers and tunnels look awesome as well. Can't wait!
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Btw is there a changelog anywhere?
    The content patch isn't even released, so no change log.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Amazing trailer.. the music is amazing.. very reminiscent of The Orb. Great work guys.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Absolutely superb trailer. It's shared, and I will keep pimping it out to my steam friends list, too (where I'm offering to buy copies of NS2 for my steam friends who don't currently have it, to support UWE further).

This looks absolutely stunning, congrats all around. Let's get this bad boy to 1 million+ views eh :)