NS2c

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think UWE is aware of performance costs of the game pretty well at this point, they have done quite a bit to speed up alot of the slower parts. I think that the infestation costs mainly come from increased network traffic and possibly some cinematics that need optimizations. While I do think certain things could be done better/faster its all about time/reward in the end, you can spend tons of time refactoring for a 10us gain.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986949:date=Oct 4 2012, 10:52 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 4 2012, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think UWE is aware of performance costs of the game pretty well at this point, they have done quite a bit to speed up alot of the slower parts. I think that the infestation costs mainly come from increased network traffic and possibly some cinematics that need optimizations. While I do think certain things could be done better/faster its all about time/reward in the end, you can spend tons of time refactoring for a 10us gain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well they dont have the option of removing it like ns2c - i was just surprised that it seems to make such a big difference.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Dear god, just running around as marine/skulk in an empty server. So good. How can these guys have so much better movement than the paid developers?
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    Have you guys organized any playtests / play-sessions? I can't seem to find a server running this mod that has people in it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987026:date=Oct 4 2012, 09:13 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Oct 4 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you guys organized any playtests / play-sessions? I can't seem to find a server running this mod that has people in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like i said, because of "unfinished" state the server never gets full, max size i got was 6 vs 6 for about 5 minutes.
    I hope dragon work on this mod, would be cool to have a alternative to ns2.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1987026:date=Oct 4 2012, 11:13 AM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Oct 4 2012, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you guys organized any playtests / play-sessions? I can't seem to find a server running this mod that has people in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you using menumod? It hides some of the ns2c servers
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987026:date=Oct 4 2012, 07:13 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Oct 4 2012, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you guys organized any playtests / play-sessions? I can't seem to find a server running this mod that has people in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no idea what the numbers are, but I am aware that a number of people (including myself) are not able to join any server running a mod because of a bug related to the mod support that was added in the last build. I'm really hopeful the bug gets fixed by the next patch, I want to play this so much but cannot and it sucks.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    Most importantly, is the SG back to its NS1 glory?

EDIT on having played some:
    The alien res system appears to be broken, each RT gives 1 res/tick to each player rather than sharing out 1 res/tick between whole team.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got anyone lined up to do some high res models? If you advertised the project some I'm sure you'd get a bite around some established modding communities.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Are you sure you just didnt have an even number of rts and players? We had seen res flow that seemed excessive at times but generally it was low number of aliens. Res ticks every 4 seconds and should distribute 1 res per rt to the team of aliens.

There are some bugs that cause the current version to be somewhat annoying to play, I am hoping to release an update today which addresses all of those and improves upon the play also.

Am still looking for additional modelers that want to remake art.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Every 4 seconds? Was it really that often in Ns1?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987429:date=Oct 5 2012, 10:21 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 5 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure you just didnt have an even number of rts and players? We had seen res flow that seemed excessive at times but generally it was low number of aliens. Res ticks every 4 seconds and should distribute 1 res per rt to the team of aliens.

There are some bugs that cause the current version to be somewhat annoying to play, I am hoping to release an update today which addresses all of those and improves upon the play also.

Am still looking for additional modelers that want to remake art.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am quite sure since the amount of res/tick equaled the amount of RTs both when there was only me and when there was 3 ppl on the team. The ticks also seemed to come quicker then I remember them being in NS1 but that might just be me.

Some other things I noted:

The game seemed rather laggier than ns2 although this might have been the server (It was one of the servers listed on the ns2c site)
    Marines kept jumping on top of me as an onos, which I am pretty sure shouldnt happen.
    The fade blink feels very strange, it sort of does a little jump when you start blinking.
    While on the subject, crouching as fade seems to completely break blink (it eats energy but does nothing).
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1987026:date=Oct 4 2012, 03:13 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Oct 4 2012, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you guys organized any playtests / play-sessions? I can't seem to find a server running this mod that has people in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I hope this mod gets some more attention. It was really fun when we had a bunch of people on about a week ago.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Might do some occasional semi-organized playtests on Fridays and the weekends, but at this point just playing it on the public servers would be better.

Join this steam group if you would like to be informed of any coming organized games:
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c</a>
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The first patch has been released with plenty of tweaks and fixed. The biggest one being that rounds now end correctly so you can play more than 1 game without a server restart :). The changelog can be seen <a href="http://www.ns2cmod.com/blog/" target="_blank">here</a>.

There are 2 US servers currently up but hoping to get a EU running soon. The game feels surprisingly smooth even if you go above 100 ping so don't let that discourage you from trying it out.

You can find the current server list <a href="http://ns2cmod.com/blog/?page_id=14" target="_blank">here</a>.

I will be putting up announcements on the steam group time to time for both testing and playing. The group is public and anyone can be part of it: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c</a> .

Hopefully we will be able to have some awesome matches this week :).
    The patch has gone live on workshop now, any servers will need to update. If you have any issues/questions let me know here or via steam.

If you want me to add your server to the list let me know, I am looking for some servers (AU/EU).
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    something is off with skulk, is it normal for skulks to slow down while jumping? (not bhopping)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    A few of the alien players weren't able to spawn in one of the games we had, we had 3 hives and a couple people needed to readyroom and rejoin to get a spawn as alien. They said they were stuck on the Waiting to spawn message with it stuck at 0 seconds.

Not being able to hear HMGs was a common complaint as well.

Not sure if the server was updated to the first patch though.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1988400:date=Oct 8 2012, 10:13 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Oct 8 2012, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if the server was updated to the first patch though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was, the update was applied after they made the second announcement. How can I verify what version of the files I have?
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1988400:date=Oct 8 2012, 07:13 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Oct 8 2012, 07:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few of the alien players weren't able to spawn in one of the games we had, we had 3 hives and a couple people needed to readyroom and rejoin to get a spawn as alien. They said they were stuck on the Waiting to spawn message with it stuck at 0 seconds.

Not being able to hear HMGs was a common complaint as well.

Not sure if the server was updated to the first patch though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also noticed that the HMG volume seemed to be pretty low when there was a lot of action going on. But we will defenitly be looking into that and the spawn bug for the next patch.

If you notices any other problems please let us know(or just post it here) and we will look into it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1988422:date=Oct 8 2012, 10:28 PM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Oct 8 2012, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you notices any other problems please let us know(or just post it here) and we will look into it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should skulks be slowing down while jumping? (not bhopping) Its a noticeable decrease in speed.

I didnt play much ns1 to know
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I think you should make marines spawn with max clips, it's kind of annoying that you spawn with only 2 and if you forget to pass by an armory you run out really quick. (Not to mention it's more time spent in base for no real reason)

I understand this is supposedly how it was in NS 1, but that isn't actually a fair comparison since in NS 1 one clip was 30 ammo and you started with 4 clips. Now you start with 50 ammo and 2 clips. Not to mention that it really doesn't add anything to gameplay in the first place.

Fade blink also feels very strange. (And there appears to be some upward motion)
    As a skulk (or any class really) if you hold forward and jump you will slow down, not really intentional but a side-effect of the air control implemented currently.

Ammo at spawn is the same as NS1 (same rifle clip size too), that may be something that gets changed slightly but I think it helps add greater importance to the commander.

Fade blink was changed in the last patch posted, is your comments regarding that version?

And for having the latest files if you are able to join automatically without getting server mod out of date you should be fine.

Spawn bug is known, you can rr and rejoin aliens and not lose any res, but that is the next major bug I am focused on finding.
    <!--quoteo(post=1988445:date=Oct 8 2012, 11:57 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 8 2012, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a skulk (or any class really) if you hold forward and jump you will slow down, not really intentional but a side-effect of the air control implemented currently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so i guess eventually this side effect will be addressed? Its incredibly frustrating in combat with collision then all of a sudden your trying to jump a crippled dog.

-inb4 bhop then, bhopping 100% of the time is not feasible in some situations.
    It is something that will be fixed eventually, movement needs arguably the most work currently, especially since all classes share the same base movement.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1988444:date=Oct 8 2012, 02:35 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 8 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you should make marines spawn with max clips, it's kind of annoying that you spawn with only 2 and if you forget to pass by an armory you run out really quick. (Not to mention it's more time spent in base for no real reason)

I understand this is supposedly how it was in NS 1, but that isn't actually a fair comparison since in NS 1 one clip was 30 ammo and you started with 4 clips. Now you start with 50 ammo and 2 clips. Not to mention that it really doesn't add anything to gameplay in the first place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You always started with 50/50 in NS1. Only difference in NS2 is you start with 50/200, and that 200 spare is the max.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I guess I had that wrong about Ns 1 them, can't remember having to ammo up at an armory every time I spawned to be honest. And I don't see how it adds anything to the commander, just creates a pointless routine at the start of the game. (And affects the viability of no armory starts and relocs)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1988582:date=Oct 8 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 8 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess I had that wrong about Ns 1 them, can't remember having to ammo up at an armory every time I spawned to be honest. And I don't see how it adds anything to the commander, just creates a pointless routine at the start of the game. (And affects the viability of no armory starts and relocs)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also slows down marines from rushing. I liked this mechanic in NS1 tbh.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited October 2012
    Actually, in later versions of ns1, the marines spawned with 50|100 LMG and 10|20 pistol bullets. I think it has been this way since about version 3.1

I just booted up the game to check :)