ns2_hera

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2014
    grey box can only really test the flow of the map, individual rooms and their bias for marine or alien only comes into effect with real prop work and lighting. you can play test a grey box map to perfection but once its detailed it will need completely retesting
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    We need screenie! im realy waiting for that map...
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited July 2014
    Overview:
    blue: probably finished areasIrG1lBU.jpg

Progress (2012-2014):
    • 2012 - August - Landing Pad
      nshera4.jpg
      nshera2.jpg
      nshera3.jpg
      nshera6.jpg
      nsheracorridor.jpg
      nsheracorridor.jpg
    • 2012 - October - Landing Pad
      herastation2.jpg
      herastation3.jpg
      herastation4.jpg
      ns2_hera_landingpadlol.jpg
    • 2012 - December - Techpoint & Landing Pad
      8276580590_76edcc0436_b.jpg
      8275518279_0627e55e66_b.jpg
      8275518137_61df43be92_b.jpg
      8276580194_bb41fbf14c_b.jpg
    • 2013 - March - Ready Room
      8533490724_efd08d98af_c.jpg
      8591733526_0d76ca4c8e_b.jpg
      8591708952_4c89306834_b.jpg
      8591777816_5457e9a7b5_b.jpg
      8590380025_fdfbd45871_b.jpg
    • 2013 - August - Message: No Time / Personal Life
    • 2013 - December - Message: Working on it for last few weeks / announcement of greybox (workshop)
    • 2014 - March - Message: Alibi / Janos are actively working on hera - Logo
      GdFRv0X.jpg
    • 2014 - May - Message: Layout changes for a playable state. We are stressing to get it done.
    • 2014 - July - Waiting for greybox version (on workshop)...
    Upcoming: Greybox Version (on workshop)

PS: They are doing this all in their spare time & for free, so dont be sad if there is nothing new. ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    It would just be a shame if all those awesome visuals end up with bad playability.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I want to play this map!
    wish people would stop bumping this map, gets me excited for an update
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    By now I am sure you guys are pushing for an official release like Kodiak from the get-go :D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    looking good! Using shapes so loosely (with the intersecting faces etc) is actually a really nice way of grey-boxing. Looking forward to testing it
    Thanks for sharing
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    looking very good indeed!
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    The hard work is shining through, more anxious than ever to get a test run on it! Keep it up guys :)
  • RemedyRemedy Join Date: 2011-06-16 Member: 104735Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Loving what I've seen so far, here is a little something for the two of you.

Props can be pretty, but brushes are beautiful.
    Props can be pleasant, but brushes are a bitch...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Remedy wrote: »

Exactly. There are so many maps now that -- and I'd like to coin a phrase here -- suffer from "prop-storm" syndrome. A violent storm came through the map one day and scattered a massive amount of completely random props around the level, and they stuck there for some reason, despite lacking any sort of coherent theme or color palette.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Exactly. There are so many maps now that -- and I'd like to coin a phrase here -- suffer from "prop-storm" syndrome. A violent storm came through the map one day and scattered a massive amount of completely random props around the level, and they stuck there for some reason, despite lacking any sort of coherent theme or color palette.
    That seems to be how every map is these days, random props scattered around.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

That seems to be how every map is these days, random props scattered around.

Exactly! Biodome and Eclipse, for example, yea they use a TON of props, but they use them right. I've seen a ton of custom maps where just anything goes. You'll see the brown biodome stuff just randomly thrown in amongst the green eclipse stuff, for example.

More props != more pretty. It takes a lot of time and imagination to figure out how all these props can fit together properly.
  • RemedyRemedy Join Date: 2011-06-16 Member: 104735Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    If the prior screenshots of 'Shipping bay' and the ready room are anything to go off, which they are, then it's quiet obvious this remake won't suffer from a "prop-storm." Working with brushes can pay off immensely, but anyone who has worked with brushes knows it can be quite a painstaking process.

Thankfully the Editor has been improved so that working with brushes has become more tolerable.

Two features that I personally think are needed for the Editor to encourage more people to work with brushes:
    -The texturing tool needs a simple button that changes the rotation values of ALL the selected textures from positive to negative and vice versa e.g. ('135' to '-135' or '-11.25' to '11.25'). Essentially, whenever a mapper flips a group of brush geometry the mapper doesn't have to individually 'flip' the texture rotation values of every brush affected.

-The snap X,Y,Z tool, needs to have the option to snap all objects within a selection (in relation to the possible directions within an axis) to the furthermost object in that group (e.g. left or right on X axis, up or down on Y axis, front or back on Z axis). This is necessary, as any experimenting with moving, rotating, especially welding copy-paste brush groups to build a full room (brush architecture that moves away from perpendicular lines) will inevitably have brushes that aren't on grid. So being able to snap vertices exactly to match a template(cornerstone) for a set of brush architecture that isn't on grid can stop whole rooms and maps from slowing skewing/warping.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the encouragement, it is much appreciated.
    Yeah, props are good if you theme correctly. We pretty much stick to the same bunch props from different themes that work well together and duplicate well to balance with brushwork.
    The RR was a test bed for this but it will be slightly refined to include new props (and style) where appropriate.
    Once this hits play-testing I plan to make several unique wall and pillar props specifically for Hera inspired by the original texture set to replace the generic refinery walls and pillars that I enjoy building with.
    I also intend to build one or two unique props per room as required. EG, the larger pillars, The holo room thing, new signage etc etc.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Props are in rooms to give a background story, like cargo on veil. The boxes and containers there are not just randomly scattered, i can imagine all the other possibilities, locations, rotations and modelscales that was tested in the beta stages before finding a good balanced layout for that room using nothing but models to break down the flat open areas.
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Props are in rooms to give a background story, like cargo on veil. The boxes and containers there are not just randomly scattered, i can imagine all the other possibilities, locations, rotations and modelscales that was tested in the beta stages before finding a good balanced layout for that room using nothing but models to break down the flat open areas.

Yea cargo is fine, it all fits the same theme. What I was referring to is when mappers place lots of props in an area just with the hope that any prop will work. What results is just an explosion of different conflicting art directions all in the same space. It's not pretty. :(
    I feel very stupid for asking this question, but what are brushes, actually?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    I feel very stupid for asking this question, but what are brushes, actually?
    Geometry. Basically all the faces you create "by hand" which you apply textures to, etc.

Brushes is what people used to Quake/HL mapping call geometry. The good old times!
    wowzer looks great even in grey box
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    wow! Big line of sight. It may be a issue at some point.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    Hehe, a little. Additional blockers like containers, volume lights, etc etc aren't present yet. It's deceiving from the editor and in grey, actually no longer lines than those in existing maps... except the ms to landing pad as it stands. I intend to scale everything down as small as allowable later, probably 10-15% I guess?
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Every time there's new screenshots in this thread I get SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited
This discussion has been closed.