Natural Selection 2 News Update - Gorilla released (NS2 Build 194)

Comments

• MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome! Mineshaft is a beast, really cool map. Have yet to play games on it though. Onos seems to have some geometry collision issues some places. Jetpack is weird.
    Great job!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    i just played for a few hours, summit and mineshaft. AMAZING time! this game is so much fun to play, really has come together. depth and gameplay and territory control and team work, felt like a released game already save for one or two things. well done you guys. jet packing around dog fighting fades is a thrill, just as running around a corner and seeing the onos smiling at his food, and the times when a skulk came FLYING out of dark corner was just sweet as hell.

amazing patch, gonna be playing this far too much now..
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    yeah after playing a bit more I'm really excited too

I'm thinking that after a week or two for people to learn the mechanics, it'll be time to start raising the level of RTS "understanding" that a lot of players lack. Somebody should write some guides (maybe I'll work on one..?) to playing well and being cool.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SO SO Good!

Mineshaft is sooooo much better than I thought it was going to be, absolutely stunning!

Performance feels 20x better.

Onos is frikkin awesome, went on a 20 kill streak earlier with him, love it.

Skulk wall walking and leap is way better.

Just an awesome build, absolutely loving every second of it, great work devs! x
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I'd just like to say: removed RFK <i>really</i> felt good. I was fighting for my team, not for my personal res pool, and I actually found myself valuing my life and taking caution with enemies even more in this system.

It felt much more strategic, and the games didn't lead towards those old landslide rolls that the old builds always had.
  • Jackson3113Jackson3113 Join Date: 2008-05-16 Member: 64272Members
    I just tried the new build, like I try every few builds you guys release, to check if the games glaring issues with networking and graphics had been fixed yet and if the game was finally playable.
    To my disappointment I found the answer was again; No, all the dynamic lights where flickering, the first level load chrashed, and all the players movement where clunky and rubberbanding with everyone complaining that the server needed to be reset in chat.

Why does the team persist in cramming new features into an engine that is fundamentally broken. <b>Focus your efforts on making what you have work smoothly and across a wider range of PC builds than your own one</b>, then think about expanding on it, I beg you.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Just had a fun few rounds on the new patch. It's really starting to come together into a nice fully featured game. Still lots to tweak and polish, but the core is get quite strong!
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899127:date=Feb 3 2012, 01:49 PM:name=Jackson3113)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jackson3113 @ Feb 3 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just tried the new build, like I try every few builds you guys release, to check if the games glaring issues with networking and graphics had been fixed yet and if the game was finally playable.
    To my disappointment I found the answer was again; No, all the dynamic lights where flickering, the first level load chrashed, and all the players movement where clunky and rubberbanding with everyone complaining that the server needed to be reset in chat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have a mid ranged computer, nothing fancy, and it runs fine for me. And if everyone was complaining the server needed resetting, did you perhaps take into account the server was actually broken in some way at the time?
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome build. Very proud of you guys for delivering Gorilla. Cheered me up from having a bad day.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The onos can't really keep a good speed with all the geometry scattered around. Something along the lines of tf2 level of collision would work well. So the onos can just run through hydras and cysts without stopping to a hault and trying to awkwardly run away.
    Something I've found with the Onos when messing around with it - not sure if it's a intentional, I can't imagine it is.

When using the cloak upgrade, while sneaking along, that movement counts towards the 'momentum' of the onos running. If you walk forward in cloak for a while in a straight line you can burst out of cloak at full speed.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    Brilliant work UWE! You really deserve some praise for this!
    Great performance increase, nice new features and lots of awesome fixes, and the beatiful new map!
    I have one question though, why havent you implemented <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">Yuuki's fade momentum mod</a>, which fixes what you tried to do yourselves?
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    As you can see in the video, momentum is preserved in vanilla when going directly up(or down) but not when going forward.
    Also it was at the progress page at some point.
    Anyway, Yuuki stumbled upon the exact same problem when creating the fade mod.
    The fade mod also have pretty good adrenaline usage system as well.
    The drain increases the longer you are in blink state, to encourage use of small blinks and the momentum from them.
    The best thing overall, from the 6v6 testing/playing we have done with this mod, is that it makes the fades be alot less in invul/invis mode.
    That is a huge balance issue in the vanilla version; fades never have to commit to a fight, they can always escape.
    There is only one thing that bothers me about it, and I think UWE are the right guys for the job.
    The fade model does not seem to be visible all the time it should be, you can shoot it before you can see it.
    Can we have the blink momentum implemented/fixed for next patch? I'm sure Yuuki would be honoured if you used his.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899138:date=Feb 3 2012, 04:38 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 3 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The onos can't really keep a good speed with all the geometry scattered around. Something along the lines of tf2 level of collision would work well. So the onos can just run through hydras and cysts without stopping to a hault and trying to awkwardly run away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah Onos should not collide with Hydras or Cysts(not sure if they do or not for Cysts, but they definitely shouldn't.)

<!--quoteo(post=1899142:date=Feb 3 2012, 04:45 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Feb 3 2012, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Brilliant work UWE! You really deserve some praise for this!
    Great performance increase, nice new features and lots of awesome fixes!
    I have one question though, why havent you implemented <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">Yuuki's fade momentum mod</a>, which fixes what you tried to do yourselves?
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    As you can see in the video, momentum is preserved in vanilla when going directly up(or down) but not when going forward.
    Also it was at the progress page at some point.
    Anyway, Yuuki stumbled upon the exact same problem when creating the fade mod.
    The fade mod also have pretty good adrenaline usage system as well.
    The drain increases the longer you are in blink state, to encourage use of small blinks and the momentum from them.
    The best thing overall, from the 6v6 testing/playing we have done with this mod, is that it makes the fades be alot less in invul/invis mode.
    That is a huge balance issue in the vanilla version; fades never have to commit to a fight, they can always escape.
    There is only one thing that bothers me about it, and I think UWE are the right guys for the job.
    The fade model does not seem to be visible all the time it should be, you can shoot it before you can see it.
    Can we have the blink momentum implemented/fixed for next patch? I'm sure Yuuki would be honoured if you used his.
    * Sorry hit the post button too quickly, it will be up in a few minutes *<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ALSO THIS, SO HARD. I love what you've done with Gorilla UWE but this definitely bugged me.
  • xXSMGXxxXSMGXx Join Date: 2009-12-22 Member: 69757Members
    Game crashes to desktop on launch after this new patch.

64bit win7 i5 2.8ghz
    gtx 560ti 448 cores limited edition
    nvidia 285.62 and tried nvidia 290.53 beta drivers no luck on both
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1899148:date=Feb 3 2012, 02:01 AM:name=xXSMGXx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xXSMGXx @ Feb 3 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Game crashes to desktop on launch after this new patch.

64bit win7 i5 2.8ghz
    gtx 560ti 448 cores limited edition
    nvidia 285.62 and tried nvidia 290.53 beta drivers no luck on both<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Verify cache, if that doesnt work re-download the game. Steam's patching doesnt seem to work too well atm.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorilla is amazing. Best patch yet. Mineshaft is scary as hell for marines to play on. Seriously, super scary.

I dare say though, that trailer was something else. The music in combination with the gameplay footage was heartpumpingly good. Great music.

Though the inclusion of Motionblur in some scenes for the trailer is unfair. Object motion blur looks so good, I wish it was in game!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    awesome patch. game is definitely shaping up to be incredible.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    The trailer looks amazing. The summer seems really early.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    meant to be studying but i am about to be really distracted for next 6 hours
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Today is a monumental day for NS2! I'm so excited to try out all the changes.

BTW does anyone know why Mineshaft is so taxing on the computer? The middle of the map is a death trap for most people with old computers!
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    yea, sorry for being so short, but onos is really terrible. might as well fade. it's just a meat shield really. and it's slower than an arc it seems (w.o momentum gain... which is hard as ###### cuz if u turn or cysts or anyone gets in ur way then u lose it).
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Fantastic trailer guys. Really well done.. the patch looks superb too.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    cant wait to try out this build, but I didnt see devour as an onos skill, can anyone say if its back or not? was one of my favorite things about the onos, even as a marine, getting stuck in their stomach was really unique. Only thing that ever bothered me about it was they could eat marines in exo suits.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899104:date=Feb 3 2012, 03:58 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 3 2012, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was kind of a problem with the NS1 onos, it really doesn't work against marines if they can move, you needed stomp, or to (of all things) ambush people in hallways with devour.

Trouble is, stomp was really lame as a marine, and devour was even worse, and I don't think either really fit the onos.

I'd much rather it gain some benefits to its tankyness than a couple of kinda lame abilities that don't really have much to do with being a giant huge space rhino/gorrila.

Charge as a passive ability maybe? Gain acceleration as you move and do damage/knockback when you run into marines/structures? Bone shield would be useful if it isn't in already, maybe the ability to do some sort of screen shake when you jump? But jumping can only be done every so often?

There's a lot of stuff you could add to the onos to make it good, rather than just relying on the NS1 abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's funny, because for the most part, these features are already in the game.

Accelerating while moving (in a mostly straight line) is already in. Damaging structures after charging isn't (wish it were) and screen shake is too. Dunno about boner shield though.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Great Job! Performance fixes are great keep it up! :)
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    just bought 11 more copies of the game to give to my pals :)

and that aint a typo
  • BiovfBiovf Join Date: 2012-01-27 Member: 142136Members
    Just did a quick match in the new map, so awesome!
    Now just gotta check if there are any Lua interface changes to see if the bots I'm developing keep working.

Great jobs guys!
    <!--quoteo(post=1899166:date=Feb 3 2012, 04:27 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Feb 3 2012, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->meant to be studying but i am about to be really distracted for next 6 hours<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well looks like you just lost an hour and a half to a single game... ahah
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    awesome patch :)

mineshaft is fun

Onos is fun

the building up momentum before you charge into the base is cool ehheeh

plus it looks like you just knock everyone down all around you, like a mega riflebutting action! lol

jetpacks aren't as OP as I was hoping :(

reminds me of ns1 JP if you have really bad fps lol

leaping skulks vs jp would be pretty fun

what else...
    gorge bilebomb has crazy range now

lack of RFK means aliens dont just auto win even with 2 hives.. they still need to control their res nodes to keep up supply of fades/onos etc

oh and i like the mineshaft starts and maps which allow aliens easy access to hive 2... and that the game centers around hive2 vs jetpacks.. we stalemated for ages but it was still back and forth and didn't 'feel' like a stalemate
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great patch, great changes, great performance increases - hit registration seems much much better now!

However, where is onos bone shield? :(
    I dont mean to nitpick, but it seems like the ns2 onos is falling back into the same problems that the ns1 onos had. Besides the awesomeness of onos, i can't see it doing anything better that the other classes can do really.. its not going to stop me from onosing but yea, it feels like the onos has no designed role.