Onos Digestion Petition.

[Spec]Ice[Spec]Ice Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98614Members
edited May 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">ONOS DEVOUR</div>This is a petition to bring back this amazing attack/skill into NS2. This was one of my most memorable moments of NS being eaten. Screaming from inside for my friend to help me! Sometimes being freed from it's grasp just in time to win the game. Sometimes hearing the gun fire slowly fade away and accepting my death. Please BRING BACK DEVOUR!!!.

Comments

• VarXXVarXX Join Date: 2011-01-24 Member: 78824Members, NS2 Playtester
    I'd love to see Devour return
  • [Spec]Ice[Spec]Ice Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98614Members
    Lots of views no posts :(
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    At first I was like "OMG you can't remove a player's freedom, they will cry because they can't play for 10 seconds."

But then I was like "Wait, I remember being devoured, it was awesome screaming for help from inside, and it was epic chasing down an Onos that had eaten your mate."

Consider my vote cast!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Count my vote in, but consider that the reason why it was removed is because too many people felt that you had to wait too long. Perhaps just reduce the devour time. I mean in NS1 if the onos didn't die within 10 seconds of devouring someone, it was unlikely to ever die until the marine was through digesting. But yeah, I loved devour and it was really the only way to counter a huge heavy rush. The marine counter to the counter was to have a mix of jetpacks and HA. What will be the NS2 counter to lots of heavies? Maybe UWE has a plan, but seems like an onos with no devour can just do a bit of damage before needing to retreat, while the heavies just repair in the meantime.
    10 seconds is really not a long time. I mean people wait hours to raid in WOW these days and spends years grinding. 10 seconds is noting. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    got my vote. that feature alone is what i showed my friends to get them to start playing, years ago
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    Ya it was super fun for both sides IMO :P
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Devour was terrible and for the most point ruined the reason for heavies. The only way it should return is if exo/heavies couldn't be devoured.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I'll vote for this is we get to see the Onos actually eat a rine, instead of the rine just going *poof*. How great would it be to see an Onos run by with a Marine's foot sticking out of its mouth?!?! I'll tell you. It would be a massive bowl of awesome sauce. mmmmmm.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    yes yes yes plzzz ooo yess

& while we are at it how bout skulk xenocide :)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1846134:date=May 13 2011, 09:40 PM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ May 13 2011, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes yes yes plzzz ooo yess

& while we are at it how bout skulk xenocide :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Xenocide for Gorge plox, with infestation bonus!!
    <!--quoteo(post=1846119:date=May 14 2011, 03:52 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 14 2011, 03:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Devour was terrible and for the most point ruined the reason for heavies. The only way it should return is if exo/heavies couldn't be devoured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the only reason Heavies got eaten easily was if they where alone :) Never travel alone in HA + wasn't everyone talking about counters to this counters to that? This is a good counter to HA :)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Digestion was the one thing i hated the most about NS1. It's nothing more then a overly elaborate several-minute temporary ban from the game. Reconnecting to the server was a more pleasant experience, which is a clear indicator that it was a horrible game mechanic.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1846136:date=May 14 2011, 12:53 AM:name=[Spec]Ice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([Spec]Ice @ May 14 2011, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I think the only reason Heavies got eaten easily was if they where alone :) Never travel alone in HA + wasn't everyone talking about counters to this counters to that? This is a good counter to HA :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A good counter makes someone stare at a goatse screen for half a minute asking the comm for a beacon? While hoping the jetpack user who is priority #1 saves you with his jp hmg combo? Devour made the jetpack the only played role in late games.

And wouldn't it be unsatisfying getting to your exosuit the first time, buying all your cool new weapons and instantly get devoured by a space rhino?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Onos need a better and more creative counter to heavies in NS2, without having to put the player in timeout for up to 30 seconds. A dynamic, fully 3d onos stomach would be pretty cool though. Maybe you could scratch a message in the stomach with the axe for future digested marines to see? lol
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Only if it stuns/greatly slows the onos for a few seconds (i mean you eat a marine as a whole while running or what?)
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    yes let's add an ability to the game that causes a player to not be able to move, see anything interesting, or play the game for 30s or more

#1 on the ranking for ns abilities added that lost their charm after the first day
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    Yes.

If you don't like the experience of being devoured, don't put yourself in a position where you may be devoured.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Yeah run in front of a marine and onehit him (eat him run away and wait until he is devoured[hide ya kids hide ya wife]) - great gameplay, adds much and requires a lot skill. Not.

Thats why we wont see devour in NS2. (and if, not in the old ns1 way)

I dont understand you guys, on one hand you QQ about the shotgun that can onehit skulks(basic, smallest lifeform) - on the other demand a more or less ultimative onehit ability that requires even less aim than a shotgun.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes, bring it back plz k thx. Was epic shouting for help or chasing down the onos to get the friend out. You can take control away from the players. Counter-Strike players are dead with one shot, have to sit and wait till the next round. 10 seconds is nothing. Re-spawning in some games like TF2 sometimes takes ages.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited May 2011
    Actually YES - with some modifications.

First off - no chomping exo's, that was always too dissapointing as a newlymade HA.
    Secondly - make it a chance of beeing devoured, not necessarily RNG, but the lower the 'rines HP the greater chance % of successfully eating your target.

In addition to that i propose a "Hidden: Source" (google it, play it, love it) style alien view addition!
    ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhSD8rL96hQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhSD8rL96hQ</a> watch when he, briefly, changes viewmode to an inverted color, wallhackstyle mode.
    It would be awesome if aliens would see that too in order to be able to prey on the weakest enemy!
    sure, it wouldnt go through walls like in that game (that'd just be op))
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It was a bloody stupid attack in NS1 and it would be a bloody stupid attack in NS2. Drop it in a pit and set it on fire.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    edited May 2011
    a petition huh?
    can i just sign with three x ? no? :/

<i>Jason VVhore</i>
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    It was a fairly cheap ability that when combined with stomp, led to run and hide tactics by the Onos. If you want the most powerful alien in the game to casually eat your most powerful player then run off and hide like a baby, then cool beans. Otherwise, no thanks!
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    God, no. What benefit at all does it give the gameplay?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    No, it was boring to be devoured, and onos always looked stupid doing hit and run