Onos Digestion Petition.

Comments

• wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Easy fix, make the waiting period shorter for the marine. it's not like if the marines kill an onos the half digested muck will burst out alive and well shooting things anyway.

Marine needs to be saved within x seconds of being devoured, or he dies and gets queued for respawn. The onos however, has to digest the marine for a longer period of time as a cooldown between devours.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    If you add the ability to shoot inside the Onos while devoured then I doubt many people would use Devour much, especially in the later stages of the game when everything is upgraded and you could easily kill an Onos that wasn't on full HP to start with.

What's the point in bringing in an ability when people would not want to use it in fear of dying. None.

Add the ability to be able to 'see' outside the Onos while devoured? Boring again as the Onos is probably back in the hive waiting for you to get pooped out.

Which brings us back to the original and boring mechanic that is Devour 1.0 where you do nothing but sit there.

As I said in my first post, Devour is the only ability that incapacitates the enemy, it feels out of place. Either add more abilities like Devour to the other aliens and marines and work NS around that concept, or take out the mechanic of being 'stunned' for so long without the ability to do anything.

It's currently the odd one out and ruins the flow of gameplay for the person afflicted.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847323:date=May 19 2011, 11:09 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ May 19 2011, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->U mad bro?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, I'm always a mad c*nt. You wish you could approach this.

<!--quoteo(post=1847659:date=May 21 2011, 02:28 PM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ May 21 2011, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easy fix, make the waiting period shorter for the marine. it's not like if the marines kill an onos the half digested muck will burst out alive and well shooting things anyway.

Marine needs to be saved within x seconds of being devoured, or he dies and gets queued for respawn. The onos however, has to digest the marine for a longer period of time as a cooldown between devours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still a one-hit kill weapon. What does it fix?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Why not wait and see what UWE comes up with? The onos devour was a little gamebreaking in NS1 and im quite sure that UWE comes up with even more fun abilities for the onos this time around, so devour wont be needed or missed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1847688:date=May 21 2011, 04:19 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 21 2011, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still a one-hit kill weapon. What does it fix?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if you've been reading the discussion you'd notice many of the complaints are the boredom inflicted by waiting such a time to be devoured.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    i dont understand the one-hit-kill arguement. i havnt played in a while but i remember shotguns being one-hit-kill vs skulks at short range, how is that any different than a late game weapon for aliens being a one-hit-kill?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    In counter-strike head shots were one-hit-kill and were almost the best part of the game. Lots of weapons were one-hit-kill in day of defeat. There is nothing wrong in general with one-hit-kill attacks.

For the waiting time, it's not a big problem, as wulf explained.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the ideal solution if bringing back devour would be to increase the timeout among other things. let me explain. On one hand the pro-digest love the team-based play it promotes while the anti-digest hate that its a one shot kill that forces long timeout. So, I'd suggest simply giving the devoured player the option to commit harikiri and join the end of the respawn queue and thereby forfeit any rescue. If the marine believes there is a chance of rescue or enjoys digestion for some reason, they may stay and continue until they are a-rescued or b-harikiri.

Since the issue of player frustration is out of the way now, devour should have some tradeoff for being able to 'one shot kill'. Increase devour times to reduce spamming and have the digesting Onos trackable on the marine minimap for a short period after even if cloaked (since the devoured marine should otherwise be trackable dead/alive). Perhaps even make the ramp up time of digesting Onos's slightly higher. The cost of devouring is thus not only the inability to surprise devour marines constantly but concession of information (moot after MT though i know).
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    If we're going to talk about 1 Hit Kill weapons, lets make it take some skill.

For example, alt-attack upgrade for Onos Gore called "Impale", which lets an Onos instantly kill non-Exo Marines if he can pin them to a wall. Naturally, this move uses a lot of energy, so its best to position oneself and ambush (or fling Marines to wall with Gore and use as finisher move).
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    There are many ways to balance devour and smooth out the complaints in this thread.

the main complaint i see is the devour time which people have no patience for. devour should not be an easy-to-do maneuver. it should take careful timing and precision as well as an escape plan. the only people who should be easily devoured are the rambos which i have no sympathy for if they need to wait 30 seconds (infact, i wish a 30 second timeout on all of them).

one simple solution for protecting team players from being easily devoured, which i believe someone has already suggested, could be that an onos that devours an exo moves at a slower rate giving his team mates a greater chance of rescuing him. as long as the marine is with 2 team mates the onos should not be able to run away with ease.

ontop of that we could also add (this may sound silly) a larger hit box for the onos' gut which would not only make him a slower target but a larger one at that.

my 2 cents.

devour was by far my most memorable and enjoyable feature of ns1. that includes eating and being eaten. I am obviously in favor of seeing it return.
  • DrCubeDrCube Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75221Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847663:date=May 21 2011, 07:21 AM:name=SilverAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverAx @ May 21 2011, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you add the ability to shoot inside the Onos while devoured then I doubt many people would use Devour much, especially in the later stages of the game when everything is upgraded and you could easily kill an Onos that wasn't on full HP to start with.

What's the point in bringing in an ability when people would not want to use it in fear of dying. None.

Add the ability to be able to 'see' outside the Onos while devoured? Boring again as the Onos is probably back in the hive waiting for you to get pooped out.

Which brings us back to the original and boring mechanic that is Devour 1.0 where you do nothing but sit there.

As I said in my first post, Devour is the only ability that incapacitates the enemy, it feels out of place. Either add more abilities like Devour to the other aliens and marines and work NS around that concept, or take out the mechanic of being 'stunned' for so long without the ability to do anything.

It's currently the odd one out and ruins the flow of gameplay for the person afflicted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're still taking someone out of the game, While taking damage from him . The Onos is like a tank of the alien team, he is meant to soak up the damage for his team. It would still be an amazing still that helps the rest of the team, you eat the enemy so the rest of the team doesn't have to take the damage and at the end of it all you get a nice healing reward.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847809:date=May 21 2011, 09:18 PM:name=DrCube)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrCube @ May 21 2011, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're still taking someone out of the game, While taking damage from him . The Onos is like a tank of the alien team, he is meant to soak up the damage for his team. It would still be an amazing still that helps the rest of the team, you eat the enemy so the rest of the team doesn't have to take the damage and at the end of it all you get a nice healing reward.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My main argument is that the Devour ability is the odd one out in NS. No other mechanic/ability does what Devour does, which is essentially time out for the person consumed.

There are other ways to soak up damage from the Marines and be a tank per se.

You also can not compare one-hit kills between a skulk vs shotgun and Most expensive supersuit/weapon Marine vs Devour
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847789:date=May 22 2011, 05:49 AM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ May 22 2011, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i dont understand the one-hit-kill arguement. i havnt played in a while but i remember shotguns being one-hit-kill vs skulks at short range, how is that any different than a late game weapon for aliens being a one-hit-kill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Shotgun is OP, and still has not been addressed (even though the fix is a simple tweaking of two numbers in the code). The shotgun should take a modicum of skill to one-hit-kill a skulk, but at the moment it doesn't require even that.

<!--quoteo(post=1847765:date=May 22 2011, 03:12 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ May 22 2011, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if you've been reading the discussion you'd notice many of the complaints are the boredom inflicted by waiting such a time to be devoured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, so you were simply treating one of the symptoms for a broken mechanic, rather than fixing the mechanic. I'm sorry for misunderstanding you the first time.

<!--quoteo(post=1847800:date=May 22 2011, 06:28 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 22 2011, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In counter-strike head shots were one-hit-kill and were almost the best part of the game. Lots of weapons were one-hit-kill in day of defeat. There is nothing wrong in general with one-hit-kill attacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The differences are simple, but significant:
    - you have to aim
    - you are also susceptible to being one-hit-killed
    i.e. there is skill, and there is risk
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1846119:date=May 14 2011, 01:52 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 14 2011, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Devour was terrible and for the most point ruined the reason for heavies. The only way it should return is if exo/heavies couldn't be devoured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this. From an RP point of view, how can an Onos eat a heavy? Surely they'd only just be able to eat the little guys.

I do love devour though, used to love getting devoured
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Let's first see how the NS2 Onos plays out and after that we can think if we need Devour ...

I had the feeling that Devour encouraged a very boring playstyle as an Onos, rushing in, stunning a Heavy Armor, Devour him and run for your life.
    That's not something you'd expect if you are this massive beast.

I'd rather have a living fortress who maybe doesn't need to get all the attention by the marines for his Devour ability, but something else.
    <!--quoteo(post=1848167:date=May 24 2011, 07:03 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 24 2011, 07:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, so you were simply treating one of the symptoms for a broken mechanic, rather than fixing the mechanic. I'm sorry for misunderstanding you the first time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's broken isn't defined by "what harimau likes". Get over yourself
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848218:date=May 24 2011, 09:53 AM:name=intellix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (intellix @ May 24 2011, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with this. From an RP point of view, how can an Onos eat a heavy? Surely they'd only just be able to eat the little guys.

I do love devour though, used to love getting devoured<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From an RP point, how does it eat any marine whole? It's big but not 'that' big, it'd have to still chew that's for sure.
    It doesn't even have a very large mouth..

Unless UWE is unveiling a baby brigade that they've chosen to keep secret for now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1848223:date=May 24 2011, 10:20 AM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ May 24 2011, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had the feeling that Devour encouraged a very boring playstyle as an Onos, rushing in, stunning a Heavy Armor, Devour him and run for your life.
    That's not something you'd expect if you are this massive beast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So instead rush in, stun a heavy, gore him till he dies then run for your life?
    How about make devour a 3rd hive ability (if that kind of tier tech is implemented). Or have it so he doesn't even devour heavies as many people have been saying.
  • moku9moku9 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69265Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848330:date=May 25 2011, 07:47 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 25 2011, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From an RP point, how does it eat any marine whole? It's big but not 'that' big, it'd have to still chew that's for sure.
    It doesn't even have a very large mouth..

Unless UWE is unveiling a baby brigade that they've chosen to keep secret for now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not an ono, but I've played one on TV. I think of this as sucking out the contents and leaving the crunchy shell. Since hvy armor laying around reduces performance without adding to the game, the model for discarded rine shells was omitted from the game.

Can we please close/lock/burn this thread so I can stop seeing that inhumane ono colon graphic in my mind every day...the horror....the horror......
  • SypherZSypherZ Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20639Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    lol yes!

I remember i had a custom skin in NS that when i was devoured, i got a cool text saying "Intermission" and some funky elevator music instead of the original devour effect :D

Been trying to find that funky elevator music ever since :P
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    I'm not sure about devour in NS2.
    Sure it was awesome in NS1 but how would it be implemented effectively animation wise!

<!--quoteo(post=1846135:date=May 14 2011, 03:49 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 14 2011, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xenocide for Gorge plox, with infestation bonus!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh God this.
    I'd pay money just to see this happen.
  • Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    edited May 2011
    I would like to see devour in NS2, but only if exos are safe.
    Maybe adding a nice effect where the marine maybe has one or two second to switchaxe the eye or something while being
    half-eaten inside the mouth and if he manages to hit a hurting point, the onos would scream, puke the rine out and maybe
    be weakened for two seconds.
    If the marine would not make it, a "<i><b><u>FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuu......</u></b></i>-" Scream would come and the eaten one would maybe see a lil "slide" down the throat, maybe seeing the mouth closing and watching his rines fighting one last time, then ending up in a claustrophobic yet kinda big stomach. Maybe making another saving method where you
    have to find, lets say, an infected part of the stomach of the A**hole to crawl out?

just my two cents. But if its added, PLAY THAT FUUUUUUUUUUUU- scream! maybe with a kewl hand-stick-out animation?
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I don't think it's unreasonable for the giant alien rhino-gorilla-elephant to be have an attack that basically one hit kills a normal marine. It's fun for the onos and adds a level of immersion for the marine.

I'd vote it be made so that digestion only takes about 10 seconds, the onos gets healed for 10% of his total health over the 10 seconds and only one marine can be digested at a time. This way the onos gets a bit of self healing to keep himself alive during a base rush and we emphasize to marines not to get near the big scary thing, without making the player sit out for an excruciating amount of time.
  • Eletro BullEletro Bull Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101560Members
    The one of the many main reasons I played ns1, to eat marines or be eaten in return, not seeing this ability in ns2 would break my heart :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1848322:date=May 25 2011, 02:37 PM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ May 25 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's broken isn't defined by "what harimau likes".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What's 'not broken' isn't defined by "what wulf likes".

<!--quoteo(post=1848322:date=May 25 2011, 02:37 PM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ May 25 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get over yourself<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Can God create a stone He cannot lift?"
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=1849182:date=May 30 2011, 08:46 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 30 2011, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Can God create a stone He cannot lift?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. You have to exist to create.

On that somewhat inflammatory note, I'm in favor of Devour coming back. An attack that a player has a real reason to hate and try to avoid? A reason to run (at least faster than the next guy) when a top-tier evolution appears, rather than just bouncing around like a retarded crack-monkey, shooting? Yes, please.
    That said, I'd also agree with the slowdown, and eat-a-bullet options; the first would be more likely to reserve its use to single/double Marine groups (triple at most?). The second would be a tradeoff, instantly resetting the Onos' ability to eat a teammate, allowing impatient ****s to get to the respawn queue faster, while providing a down side. Too many impatient people in a group? Wipe out all of them with Devour in a matter of moments, leading to the devoured hanging around not only for the potential for rescue, but to keep the ability unavailable for use.

Adds severe cinematic moments, a definite fear element for an expensive evolution, and teaches people to stick together. All up-sides.
    Down side. Rambos get eaten and complain loudly about how 'cheap' it is that they can't wander around the map and freely solo, no matter how good their twitch reflexes are. Or is that a bonus?
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1849192:date=May 30 2011, 12:12 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ May 30 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. You have to exist to create.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A bold assertion. I always answer the question about the stone with "He can do both".

About devour, I'm not opposed to it. If the devs think that it is the best thing for the Onos, then great. But for all we know they have some sweet things up their sleeves....also, are other aliens getting more moves? Or will we only have the few that are in for each alien?
    <!--quoteo(post=1849182:date=May 30 2011, 07:46 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 30 2011, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's 'not broken' isn't defined by "what wulf likes".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"What wulf likes" isn't defined by "that which isn't broken" is actually more correct.

btw nice try, I think you deserve a star or happy face sticker. Next weeks sticker can be earned by defining what broken means and explaining how it does or does not apply to onos devour.
    edited May 2011
    I already have. Learning disability or deliberate ignorance? Allow me to re-iterate. Please pay attention this time.

The Onos is a tank - if only due to his excessive health. And yet the NS1 Onos is used as a hit-and-run unit. Broken.

The NS1 Onos does one-hit-kills, but unlike one-hit kills in any reasonably-balanced game, you do not have to aim, and you are not also susceptible to the possibility of being one-hit-killed i.e. there is no skill required, and there is no risk involved. Broken.

The NS1 Onos' one-hit-kill is not only a one-hit-kill, it takes control away from the victim player for even longer than it should be expected to (longer than death). Broken.

I would sooner have a skulk, which is susceptible to being one-hit-killed with a shotgun, with devour. Or at least xenocide. There's actual risk because you can die very easily as a skulk, and there's some skill involved in getting close enough without being killed first. And in the case of xenocide, you have the trade-off.