Experimental Non Flash Menu Mod

Comments

• fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1877954:date=Oct 3 2011, 10:28 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 3 2011, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->perhaps it should just be included by default to make it a bit easier.

Is there anyway to get it working with the other install method? It's easier for me just to modify my launch options in steam and then run it directly from there rather than having to run the bat file every time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just didn't want to surprise people with a dll suddenly being included but, I will probably just make a separate combined download

If you use the other install method you only have to launch with the bat once. This should be fixed in the next update
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    4/10 Update
    <ul>Added auto retry connect button to the ServerInfo window when the server is full which will connect to the server when a slot opens up
    Fixed losing the cursor in the buy menus when another player closed there armory menu
    Fixed loading lua dll modules when the mod is installed using the second installation method
    Removed a leftover buy menu debug message</li></ul>
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877954:date=Oct 3 2011, 11:28 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 3 2011, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there anyway to get it working with the other install method? It's easier for me just to modify my launch options in steam and then run it directly from there rather than having to run the bat file every time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The new version works nice for me with the steam launch option "-game menumod"

<!--quoteo(post=1877981:date=Oct 4 2011, 06:04 AM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Oct 4 2011, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4/10 Update
    <ul>Added auto retry connect button to the ServerInfo window when the server is full which will connect to the server when a slot opens up
    [...]</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Big praise for that!! I always missed that feature and the work around over steam friends is not that handy if you have no friends on the server ^^ Awesome mod! Great work!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Nice, it's working perfectly now. Love the autojoin feature as well. Really great work :)

Improvements I'd like to see:

Selected server colour changed to yellow. (dark blue can be difficult to see)
    Connect button moved to the bottom right and a close button on the top right of the server browser (filters bottom left).
    Favourites, history and friends tabs.
    Right click context menu (Connect to server, refresh server, view server info)
    Active window highlighted.
    Ability to resize / move server filters.
    Ability to resize / move all windows.
    Option to change server browser font size.

Basically just taking everything that's good from NS1 / source game menus.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877999:date=Oct 4 2011, 11:41 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 4 2011, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice, it's working perfectly now. Love the autojoin feature as well. Really great work :)

Improvements I'd like to see:

Selected server colour changed to yellow. (dark blue can be difficult to see)
    Connect button moved to the bottom right and a close button on the top right of the server browser (filters bottom left).
    Favourites, history and friends tabs.
    Right click context menu (Connect to server, refresh server, view server info)
    Active window highlighted.
    Ability to resize / move server filters.
    Ability to resize / move all windows.
    Option to change server browser font size.

Basically just taking everything that's good from NS1 / source game menus.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I know it's possible for game devs to use the full steam server browser in her own games with all features you mentioned. I don't know why they made there own GUI for that, maybe for a different look and feel? mmh
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Not compatible with 186 it seems. Can't spawn as alien when using this.
    Yeah its just when you have the keybind mod enabled you can just disable it in the mods menu make sure to restart after. i guess i need to hook OverrideInput on some other stuff
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I noticed a small bug. When you are in game and you bring up the options menu, if you try and change your nickname then the commands will still register in-game. E.g. Pressing WASD still moves your player as well as types the character.

This is also true when using the server browser and typing a map name.
    heres a quick fix for alien spawning when you have the keybind mod enabled for <a href="http://www.fsfod.vivaciti.net/files/menumod_186keybindhotfix.zip" target="_blank">menumod_186keybindhotfix.zip</a>
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    This version gave me a nasty bug - the mouse cursor was active when i was playing, so i couldnt look around. Rest of the controls worked tho, but instead of looking around i was moving the mouse cursor.

So, could somebody please share an older version until its fixed?
    <!--quoteo(post=1878717:date=Oct 8 2011, 09:04 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Oct 8 2011, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This version gave me a nasty bug - the mouse cursor was active when i was playing, so i couldnt look around. Rest of the controls worked tho, but instead of looking around i was moving the mouse cursor.

So, could somebody please share an older version until its fixed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was the cursor still visible after you connected or did it get stuck shown after using the armory, alien buymenu or chat
    I did add console command a while ago to fix this if it ever happen resetmouse. The old versions are also still left up as well <a href="http://www.fsfod.vivaciti.net/files/" target="_blank">http://www.fsfod.vivaciti.net/files/</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1878782:date=Oct 9 2011, 02:23 AM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Oct 9 2011, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was the cursor still visible after you connected or did it get stuck shown after using the armory, alien buymenu or chat
    I did add console command a while ago to fix this if it ever happen resetmouse. The old versions are also still left up as well <a href="http://www.fsfod.vivaciti.net/files/" target="_blank">http://www.fsfod.vivaciti.net/files/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly dont remember what i did to get the mouse active, i got kinda wasted later on.
    But i'll try to reproduce the problem later on.
    I seem to be getting some random crashes with the 186 temp version when opening the armory menu.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879171:date=Oct 10 2011, 10:32 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 10 2011, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I seem to be getting some random crashes with the 186 temp version when opening the armory menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bug seems to of existed before the temp version. The armory menu was getting double created because I didn't set one of my hooks to the correct type
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I'm unsure if this has been mentioned, but are there any plans to bring the armory/evolve menus to a non-flash state as well? The PT mod had done this and it turned out alright. Either way, the less flash and more options the better so keep of the great work on this mod.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879348:date=Oct 11 2011, 06:26 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ Oct 11 2011, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm unsure if this has been mentioned, but are there any plans to bring the armory/evolve menus to a non-flash state as well? The PT mod had done this and it turned out alright. Either way, the less flash and more options the better so keep of the great work on this mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well the evolve menu isn't flash. I have debated remaking the armory menu or just making a radial menu
    So I found the real issue with the armory menu one of the uwe devs fat fingered isMouseVisible in the <a href="https://github.com/Flayra/NS2-Scripts/blob/ae3eef0db6147de575943d17c04450aa374cac84/ns2/lua/Armory_Client.lua#L225" target="_blank">Armory:OnUse</a> code.
    I will probably just temporally replace the function for build 187

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->local isMouseVisble = Client.GetMouseVisible()

if self:GetIsBuilt() and self:GetIsActive() and not Shared.GetIsRunningPrediction() then

if not isMouseVisible and (isPlayerAlive and isLocalPlayer) then<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    there is a good chance that I will include the non flash menu from the PT mod to build 188. I just need to adapt the design, since mine is... lets say "different".
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879503:date=Oct 12 2011, 05:00 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Oct 12 2011, 05:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is a good chance that I will include the non flash menu from the PT mod to build 188. I just need to adapt the design, since mine is... lets say "different".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Take the best ideas from both, ask Cory to design a basic new menu "look", BOOM, Frankenmenu loved by all!
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    The evolve menu isn't flash? Could have sworn it was but good to know.
    How is progress going with the cursor-bug fsfod?
    <!--quoteo(post=1880881:date=Oct 20 2011, 07:11 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Oct 20 2011, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is progress going with the cursor-bug fsfod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Were you still having this issue even after updating to the version I release on the 12th
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1877923:date=Oct 3 2011, 12:53 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 3 2011, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really good work man. This is better than the default menus and functionality in every way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

So much better than default.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really good work man. This is better than the default menus and functionality in every way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Hope they include this officially in the game and work it into their main menu redesign.
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Does this mod somehow improve performance? It kind of feels like it.

Also nice work. I like not having to modify any of my base game files as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884287:date=Nov 8 2011, 08:51 PM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 8 2011, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does this mod somehow improve performance? It kind of feels like it.

Also nice work. I like not having to modify any of my base game files as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it will make much difference to the normal game performance but startup time might be slightly faster
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Btw the game loads much faster the firsttime if you run this awsome mod!
    13/11 Update
    <ul>Added the name the server to the scoreboard
    Made the Server Browser auto select the server that your connected to in the server list
    Added dynamic(none of that GUIScale silliness) ui scaling of the menu and chatframe when running in low resolutions.
    Added an option to make the ns2 window borderless. Requires UIHelper module
    Added mouse wheel scrolling for sliders/scrollbars, list, stepper controls when the. Requires UIHelper module
    Added a lua auto execute directory/system see autoexec\readme.txt for useage
    Added a editable value textbox for the mouse sensitivity slider
    Fixed newly created console command keybinds only becoming active after being bound twice or restarting ns2
    Fixed keybind changes not always taking effect when using the classic menu
    Tweaked the layout and spacing of some of things</li></ul>
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    This is really good, so it seems strange to me why they've not done anything similar yet themselves or asked to include this, they used community help before so why not this?