Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update (Build 136)

Comments

• ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And now you can fist the skulk to death???<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are you basing this on? You have no idea what amount of damage this attack will do, the refresh timer on the attack, or anything about it.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-I'm not going to complain about the "switch-axe", becuz if it property work the same way the knife does then I can just fpsbanana and skin it to like a uh...knife or katana, chainsword or w/e<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cool story breh

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-now the issue with the new armory...marines can now buy their own weapons....WOW! I can imagine a troll walking into a server and start spaming the HMG button until the res reach 0. And nubs that going to hump the armory for hours choosing his bb gun. Armory Humping is already bad in NS 1 before now why the heck would you want to make it worse?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fairly sure they have said every marine gets distributed a separate amount of res.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Flamers...this is the weapon that bring up a lot of contradicting sense about space travel, which already mention by C4K3 before. And I do agree with him that this weapon have no place in space combat, there are others way to replace this weapon for clearing infestations. How about a anti-infestation gas that stop the infestation and kill them(how? nano duh)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just use a flamethrower?

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Why is the command station so damn huge now...holy crap, I mean that thing is almost as big as a damn shed. What do the command do in there? partying? the design in NS 1 make sense, all you need is a monitor a chair to sit on, hell...I was thinking why can't a commander use a laptop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is this a complaint? So what if it is bigger? Only thing I can think of is that skulks will be able to hide behind it which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. Have to wait to see how it plays.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Drones...only thing I can say is "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" so pretty much marines in NS 2 will be gunning and running...it pretty much kill Nature Selection and sum up that it going to be a no-brainer game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't have anything to base this on (much like your whole f**king post) but I would say that drones will build at a considerably slower rate and maybe have some map limitations - who's to say what will happen BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW THE DETAILS YET ######!

I do agree about sprinting though, not a fan of it in games at all.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Serious, Gun Melee? How the heck can you even manage to melee a skulk to a wall and kill it? despite the fact that these upgrade skulks now have armor and they probably around a hundred pound plus. Why even need range weapon, when you can Rocky Balboa the ###### out of the Kharaa?
    In NS 1, using a knife is like a deathwish unless you got the skulk beat up good enough. And now you can fist the skulk to death??? WHAT!?! so the new skulk weaker than the old one? Charles Darwin be face pawning*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since we don't know how it will exactly act, I think that the Aliens get a reasonable counter. Thinking about it also that there are the Lerk and Fade to be shown, the Dev's surely have this discussed and a good Reason in the occiput. We don't know much of the gameplay so it's stupid to judge about as we don't know how it will act.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-I'm not going to complain about the "switch-axe", becuz if it property work the same way the knife does then I can just fpsbanana and skin it to like a uh...knife or katana, chainsword or w/e<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can do it, or you can wait till you see it. The idea seems very interesting, and calling something an switchaxe musn't be like a Conan's Twohander.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-now the issue with the new armory...marines can now buy their own weapons....WOW! I can imagine a troll walking into a server and start spaming the HMG button until the res reach 0. And nubs that going to hump the armory for hours choosing his bb gun. Armory Humping is already bad in NS 1 before now why the heck would you want to make it worse?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe there was some Talk about having own Resources as Marine so let's wait. Against Armory Humping I can't say anything cause i did not feel like it's such a big problem.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-now I have no complain about the bite-cam, I got use to it in NS 1, and it was a pretty creative first person idea for biting. Sure it does obscure your view a bit, but still it make you feel like a skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, i totally think that this is a unique NS thing. One get's used to it and everytime you see it you know, that's <i>my</i> NS.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Flamers...this is the weapon that bring up a lot of contradicting sense about space travel, which already mention by C4K3 before. And I do agree with him that this weapon have no place in space combat, there are others way to replace this weapon for clearing infestations. How about a anti-infestation gas that stop the infestation and kill them(how? nano duh)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I agree with the Flamer I also may say that we judge it by the typical "Flamethrower" form the realworld. Maybe it's only a sort of heavy welder, with exact aiming? As another point, the destruction of the the Battlefield is not always considered by an army that must get their job done. The Dev's will have discussed that.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- The graphic lag shown in the video are clearly unacceptable, and I'm sure that Flaya and Corey were fraping this on their high end computer. I know this is an early footage but PLEASE PLEASE!!! take this into consideration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are right.

-<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sprinting...it's already bad enough that most aliens have to get into close combat with marines, and now they can sprint their ass out of danger? WOW! please don't tell me you guys getting these concepts from that horrible fan-made movie on youtube.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Dev's will have thought about it, it's still testing cause alpha is way to go. And that "horrible" fan movie, As Dev it's really nice to see Fans making such things, there is the Fun and Message, if you want motion pictures go to the cinema.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Why is the command station so damn huge now...holy crap, I mean that thing is almost as big as a damn shed. What do the command do in there? partying? the design in NS 1 make sense, all you need is a monitor a chair to sit on, hell...I was thinking why can't a commander use a laptop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Though i loved the NS1 CC it seems that the CC is going to have some new cool features and the Tech Points are big, so we'll see why that is.

<!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Drones...only thing I can say is "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" so pretty much marines in NS 2 will be gunning and running...it pretty much kill Nature Selection and sum up that it going to be a no-brainer game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think there was a Post about them that their more the kind of Fieldrepairtool. The initial buildphase is still based on marines I believe.

Thanks for your Feedback.

/damn, ninjad!
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 09:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection 2 is starting to become like a no brainer generic game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A no-brainer generic game set in a unique and distinct setting, pioneering a new approach to technology and focusing on complex strategy, intricate knowledge of numerous mechanics involved, twitch skills and teamwork. Right.
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Flamers...this is the weapon that bring up a lot of contradicting sense about space travel, which already mention by C4K3 before. And I do agree with him that this weapon have no place in space combat, there are others way to replace this weapon for clearing infestations. How about a anti-infestation gas that stop the infestation and kill them(how? nano duh)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Might I, just as a relevant reference, mention the movies Alien and Aliens?

The footage is awesome, can't wait to see it play!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    "A no-brainer generic game with a mirrored redundant commanding model, simplified map layouts, and reduced skill to movement mechanics"
    Anyone can string together a series of fluff that arbitrarily defends a position.

having played with many of them, I am inclined to agree with cake et al.'s assessments, though I disagree with his tactics. I've been very vocal about casualness and gimmickry seeping into this game and the flippant departures from NS1, but that's not going to change with callous flaming.

Somehow I suspect he already knows this and his posts are not meant to be constructive so much as retaliatory for ruining a prospect. The realization that it's already too late for NS2 to live up to what the vet community needed it be is hard to accept, but how you handle that realization paints the difference between reactive despisal and proactive concern.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751815:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:40 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 8 2010, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A no-brainer generic game set in a unique and distinct setting, pioneering a new approach to technology and focusing on complex strategy, intricate knowledge of numerous mechanics involved, twitch skills and teamwork. Right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds so easy even a child could master it within minutes. Clearly.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751797:date=Feb 8 2010, 07:19 AM:name=fuyuki359)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fuyuki359 @ Feb 8 2010, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flamers...this is the weapon that bring up a lot of contradicting sense about space travel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh really? Clearly using projectile weapons and grenades inside thin-walled space stations is totally realistic.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751824:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:49 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Feb 8 2010, 08:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh really? Clearly using projectile weapons and grenades inside thin-walled space stations is totally realistic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gameplay > Realism
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I tried to refrain from doing this, but this post was a doosey.

<!--quoteo(post=1751225:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry they lost me when removed the knife, devour, lerk bite and everything that did NS a great game and replaced all those with this... Crap...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What made NS a great game in my opinion had little to almost <i>nothing</i> to do with the knife, devour or lerk bite. It was to do with the adrenaline pumping gameplay, the constant struggle for resource control, the unique asymmetrical teams, the intense atmosphere, and a great outlet for my competitive and aggressive side (just a few things off the top of my head). To belittle the game down to a few mechanics and weapons shows me how little your opinion means in terms of game design.

<!--quoteo(post=1751225:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is pretty much worthless now, no matter what, is just a chaotic and nasty mixture of candy eye and stupid features (e.g. axes and flametowers in space stations with limited amounts of oxigen and delicate machinery, OMFG genius) of every crappy game around, including doom, deadspace, gearsofwar and the list goes, walking over a laggy engine with a pimp editor; dead before its birth because was made for a market segment composed by Hellen Kellers and kids with an extra chromosoma. R.I.P. NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where to start on this bit? I fail to see how this game is now a 'chaotic and nasty mixture of eye candy'. To my eyes it looks like Natural Selection reinvisioned on a current gen engine. The part about axes and flamethrowers in space, 'in space stations with limited amounts of oxigen... OMFG genius' right so this is a realism argument. So hand grenades, mines, grenade launchers and (in the past) nukes you also have a problem with? This is a computer game, designed for enjoyment, not realism. And delicate machinery? In my opinion thats probably originally due to engine/time/man power constraints on the original mod so things were kept simplistic. However I might add the obs and AL looked pretty delicate to me from the start.

Also, can you explain to me how your in a position to have intimate knowledge on how the engine is laggy?

<!--quoteo(post=1751225:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good movie BTW, you are ready for Jollywood.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Petty insults, refreshing.

Enough negativities, this gameplay video made my freaking day. Can't wait for something playable, though I'm afraid its going to seriously impact my uni studies when it does!
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751822:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:35 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 8 2010, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"A no-brainer generic game with a mirrored redundant commanding model, simplified map layouts, and reduced skill to movement mechanics"
    Anyone can string together a series of fluff that arbitrarily defends a position.

having played with many of them, I am inclined to agree with cake et al.'s assessments, though I disagree with his tactics. I've been very vocal about casualness and gimmickry seeping into this game and the flippant departures from NS1, but that's not going to change with callous flaming.

Somehow I suspect he already knows this and his posts are not meant to be constructive so much as retaliatory for ruining a prospect. The realization that it's already too late for NS2 to live up to what the vet community needed it be is hard to accept, but how you handle that realization paints the difference between reactive despisal and proactive concern.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not all bad. More players = more competition. As long as NS2 isn't as dumbed down half as much as TF2 was from TFC then it'll be ok. Obv not perfect but eh, there will be new stuff to do and tons of competitive LUA scripts.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Variation is dumbing down? I call it variation.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751822:date=Feb 8 2010, 05:35 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 8 2010, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The realization that it's already too late for NS2 to live up to what the vet community needed it be is hard to accept<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right, which is why UWE made it so their game cannot be modified at all. They wanted to ensure that, no matter how many complaints were received, that their word was law, and that no one was allowed to modify how the game worked. Exactly.

/sarcasm

If their engine and game code is as accessible as they say it is, then you could make a completely different game, all on your own. You could also upload exact numbers, models, animations, sounds, particle effects, textures, mechanics, and even entire maps from NS1 and just stick it in there. Your prized NS1 can be as untouched as you wish.

People's constant whining is so pointless here. If you don't like the game, make your own game. That's usually a cheap, retarded argument idiots make to defend their favorite game, but in this case it actually applies, as <i>UWE gives you the tools to modify the game to your heart's content</i>.

An OMG-SUPER-DUPER-HARDCORE-COMPETITIVE-VETERANS-ONLY-NO-CASUALS-ALLOWED mod just requires knowledge about LUA, and you're free to just play that and ignore all vanilla NS2 servers. No one is stopping you.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    I hate it that this thread got derailed by trolls like C4k3. what the hell does all that text above me have anything to do with the game or criticism to improve what we have seen? If we just had ignored these angry sad people instead of replying to their posts, which is the best way to deal with them, we wouldn't have such a frustrating senseless debate, which corrupts our legibility as critics in the eyes of UWE.

please, I simply ask, to cease this useless debate, Ignore the obviously aggravating Posts and post if you have something constructive to say to the actual game, not an idea of the game, or the possibility of the game, or the fans of the game. if you don't, just don't post. please.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I think the game is going to be good.

Looking forward the next friday update !

:)
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Will we get any screenshots from this? Not official ones, just something in good resolution and non-messed-up gamma?
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751826:date=Feb 8 2010, 10:05 AM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Feb 8 2010, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gameplay > Realism<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea that's what I wanted to point out. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sarcasm > Gameplay?
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Ok, last post here since this is really going nowhere. Please, people, stop claiming to know the exact mechanics of the way the game is going to work. People spouting wild assumptions like they're law really pisses off and frustrates devs (and also makes for humor at times). I'm not saying that it's not ok to have opinions, but if you've never been involved in the dev process of a game or mod, please, think twice before posting. What we're seeing is a mere inkling of what there is and what is planned. And of course the game is unoptimized and runs like crap right now. Games do not start out running well and slowly lose performance (unless you're TF2) during the dev process. The other way around. Optimization is usually ongoing and there's always a big push at the end. I'm not on the team, but from being on the dev side of a mod, I can tell you with confidence that the code is not done, the code is not optimized, the maps aren't done or optimized, dito for many of the models and textures, and gameplay isn't finalized. Chill out.

They made NS1 didn't they? Was it a good game? Did it run well on most computers at the time? There you go. The team is not going to release an RC/Retail version until they've met there goals and have it running as well as possible (though if your computer is a dinosaur, you've nobody to blame but yourself).
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Guys, can we get back to the topic at hand? Make a new thread titled "OGM! Top Ten Reasons I HATE NS2" and go there.

I really enjoyed the constructive criticism from a few pages earlier, but now we are letting C4K3's obvious bait take over the complete conversation. I do agree in some ways with his vantage point, but we're talking about gameplay elements of a game not even in ALPHA.

Remember Power Armor? No? Because it was replaced with Heavies before 1.0. Remember Lerk spikes? Heck the lerk model still has the look of them. but they were removed after release. Things will change. Yes, it seems like the dev team is seeing some interesting gameplay mechanics in other games and using them here. So what? They work, then it adds more dimension to the game. It doesn't? Remove it.

In honesty, right now I'm more excited with a LUA scripted NS1 experience in an NS2 engine and world, but that's just because I love what I am familiar with. I'll still play NS2 day one, and I'll hopefully enjoy it as much, or more. Please stop feeding the baseless criticism, and either show your support for the good you see, or posted in a positive way the things you are more concerned with.

@devs: It really looks great, but I agree the bulkier skulk looks "fat?" or larger than it should to me. It might be the animations, but I dunno, I kinda laughed when I saw it.
    The maps look great, and the marine structures and animations. I, too, have concerns with armory selection and the ease a Kharaa could take you down while your entire screen is consumed by the armory.
    The alien RT looks amazing, and I can't wait to walk around a map and see this world first hand. Keep it up!

Other: Is there a resource for looking up LUA scripting and learning it?
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751868:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:26 PM:name=darktimes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darktimes @ Feb 8 2010, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate it that this thread got derailed by trolls like C4k3. what the hell does all that text above me have anything to do with the game or criticism to improve what we have seen? If we just had ignored these angry sad people instead of replying to their posts, which is the best way to deal with them, we wouldn't have such a frustrating senseless debate, which corrupts our legibility as critics in the eyes of UWE.

please, I simply ask, to cease this useless debate, Ignore the obviously aggravating Posts and post if you have something constructive to say to the actual game, not an idea of the game, or the possibility of the game, or the fans of the game. if you don't, just don't post. please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're just a butt hurted fan boy. If what have been said above not criticism, then what in the ck is?
    Okay so posting something constructive about the "actual game", then tell me where is the actual game?!? they promise the alpha on Fall 2009, and all they have now is 2 screenshots and a game footage that don't even have nearly close to everything.

So blindingly praising and kissing UWEs asses is good and talk about their flaws is....bad?
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game looks already pretty epic and that is still PRE-Alpha footage.. wow :)

Looking very forward to the Alpha release, seems like it'll be a blast!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751864:date=Feb 8 2010, 10:42 AM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Feb 8 2010, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, which is why UWE made it so their game cannot be modified at all. They wanted to ensure that, no matter how many complaints were received, that their word was law, and that no one was allowed to modify how the game worked. Exactly.
    /sarcasm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah it can be modified, because we all know porting from a more casual game upwards works well right? It's what they do with console-to-PC releases, and they turn out just fine. I mean how else does Honda leverage the technology in their F1 cars - they obviously start from a Civic.

/sarcasm is fun

You yourself state the 'build your own game' is a weak argument. It applies if you maybe want to change your lerk skin to say purple, but if you think the changes to core gameplay and mechanics are a Lua script away, you're more naive than I thought.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751744:date=Feb 7 2010, 05:29 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 7 2010, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Techno+Syndrome+Mortal+Kombat/8125526" target="_blank">Auditory aid.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I love you. Mortal Kombat indeed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751918:date=Feb 9 2010, 05:56 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 9 2010, 05:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you think the changes to core gameplay and mechanics are a Lua script away, you're more naive than I thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would take a lot of coding, but surely not ALL of you old vets are so butthurt about UWE not releasing the same game that you can't put a bit of work into it.

None of you have played NS2 anyway. In case you're wondering, NS1 wasn't the best game of all time forever. Changes can be good.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    its so nice to see how you guys are coming closer to your dream
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited February 2010
    *Don't feed them* --Comprox
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751918:date=Feb 8 2010, 02:56 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 8 2010, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you think the changes to core gameplay and mechanics are a Lua script away, you're more naive than I thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So what you're saying is that you have no idea how Lua scripting works? Okay.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2010
    Sigh. I'll keep this simple. Keep the personal attacks out of this thread or I will just lock it.

My god kids. C4K3 has been banned too. Move on.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    aw, I was enjoying the epic trolling by c4k3, he suckered you all in... hahah
    <!--quoteo(post=1751938:date=Feb 9 2010, 07:35 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Feb 9 2010, 07:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep the personal attacks out of this thread or I will just lock it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it was just starting to get interesting!