Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update (Build 136)

Comments

• JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751682:date=Feb 7 2010, 09:41 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->exCAL or ENSL + consties + positive score in most scenarios, steam rating 10 playing NS the last 6 years + trolling several NS related forums + making valuable things for the current NS community player base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm exCAL ansl(NS specific Leagues or whatever), but I do not have the elitist e-peen stroking attitude everytime I sit down in front of the computer.

I've played in leagues/clans for a variety of games as well, from Ghost Recon to Red Alert (the first one) to the Teamfortress Genre and Counter-Strike, but I do not have the complete elitist attitude that some people seem to need to have.

EVOLVENS has the worst of the worst when it comes to egotrip players, it is the truth and he/they know it.
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751683:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:43 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 7 2010, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you just basically said the whole of the forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's not accurate since e.g. there are only FIVE consties posting in this thread.

That's why the only imput over here comes from people who have no idea what are they talking about but had to post some random useles crap like "I like this" or "I don't like this" like someone cares a ###### about it. Most of the veteran players I know want the epicness of NS untouched but enriched instead mutilated, and now many many of them are pissed; it is not so hard to understand since most of the income was provided by your NS players of all time; also it is not a bad idea even if they play wide up the market for their product, all fine, just don't trash your own master piece with retarded unrelated and cheap additions from every worthless game around, get some goddamn selfconfidence and listen to your old fans because they will be your foreing affairs department for free and can give you all you could need because we love NS so much. Aeroripper was the one who proposed the preordering thing and see, how successful was that single idea.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I'm pretty impressed at how much cake actually loves this game.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    Oh ya, people are just mad because <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->"THEIR MOVEMENT EXPLOIT"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> is not being included into the game.

Oh yes I am a <b><u><!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Team Fortress VET<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></u></b> who is really good at all forms or circle jumping/strafe jumping/bunny hopping/<b>inverted bunny hopping</b>, and it does not bother me they are not including it.

<b>Inverted bunny hopping</b> is where you use +forward and +back (W/S) to bunny hop. Yes it is possible. Go fire up TFC and try to do it all the way from your Flagroom to theirs and cap the Flag, while also using the <b><u>Hand-Held Concussion Grenade Technique</u></b>. Come back when you have mastered that C4K3. Go EMO CRY somewhere else.

NS1 does not have that much skill in it compared to some other games, it has always been a little more new player accessible with a decent skill curve.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I disagree with multiple commanders. I disagree with alien commanders. I disagree with the flamethrower. I disagree with the removal of the grenade launcher. I disagree with smaller maps. There are a ton of changes coming in NS2 that I plain don't like. I realize most of them are final, though, and even with them NS2 looks like it's going to the best shooter since NS1. If it's even half as good as NS1, we're looking at a solid game.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751692:date=Feb 7 2010, 09:00 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's why the only imput over here comes from people who have no idea what are they talking about<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this is all highly insulting to any NS fans who happen to have sober judgement or even pretence of consciousness, as few have already been quick to remind you. You can't barge into a forum and thread populated exclusively by NS fans and tell them they're not, that they all suck, and you're the "real" fan and expert on everything.

If you have any actual criticisms, this is the place to be - if not, no one's interested in whiny non-sequitir humbuggery perpetuated through a failed Argument from Majority. Well, what'll it be?
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751692:date=Feb 8 2010, 03:00 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 8 2010, 03:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New concepts frighten me. I am terrified of change and originality, and strongly believe that it should be stamped out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Man, you'd make such an excellent video game designer. Companies like EA Sports need minds like yours to work on their football games.

Also, the extent to which you're being useless about this matter is astonishing. NS1 is still there, you know. You can go play it. Nothing is stopping you.

Also, you do realize how you could mod this game, right? You could even upload NS1 textures, models, and animations, just to make this the perfect game ever. We'd all think you're amazing. Really.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    Very nice, coming along great and I cannot wait to play it.

I think the alien resource tower looks great, it doesn't need to be big, I think it works nicely and fits quite well with the compact and efficient designs of the aliens. I dont think it needs change, people need to stop thinking things need to be BIG to work.

I am bothered by the clack clack clack the skulk is making and I am hoping this is just a place holder, the gait sounds like the skulk is scrambling around for footing than having an even gait, and that clacking will get very annoying esp. if skulks are supposed to be agile and scouty. I would suggest something less invasive on sound, similar to the ns1 sound but a little more.. weighty?

The lighting worked really well in the halls, especially at the last scene with the skulks charging the marines, the light bouncing off was brilliant and gave it a good ambient feel.

The marines are going nicely and I am shocked to say I am tempted to also play marines because of the great advancements.

Keep the good work going!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1751703:date=Feb 7 2010, 01:24 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Feb 7 2010, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, you'd make such an excellent video game designer. Companies like EA Sports need minds like yours to work on their football games.

Also, the extent to which you're being useless about this matter is astonishing. NS1 is still there, you know. You can go play it. Nothing is stopping you.

Also, you do realize how you could mod this game, right? You could even upload NS1 textures, models, and animations, just to make this the perfect game ever. We'd all think you're amazing. Really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't wait for ns classic servers.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would say that because some rooms look "open" is because you need building space. If the room is cluttered with stuff, you wouldn't have much space to build what you need.

Plus it doesn't bother me too much.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    in response to all the hating, here's another constie member liking the new game, and guess what, I actually like getting a new game!

as to saying that they are only putting in things from other games, show me one aspect of ns1 that wasn't in any other game somehow? the point is, in ns1 uwe have taken lots of ideas from other games, and combined it in a superior game, now in ns2 they will be doing it again, nothing wrong with getting inspiration from other games or reality, it's kinda the point of making better games
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    C4K3 you are totally the guy who runs <a href="http://ns2fail.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">http://ns2fail.wordpress.com/</a> aren't you?

I can tell because it's full of exactly the same misguided crap.

Reading those "quotes" i am pretty relieved that neither you, nor your team of super friends will be playing Natural Selection 2. Thanks for doing us all a favour.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    First ingame view of the Weldbot and new pistol? Sweet!

Q: Does the pistol have an alt-fire with 4 shots? I noticed 4 bars right ounder the "10" in the ammo count. Wondering if that's for some alt-fire or indicates something else. Assault Rifle actually has the same 4 bars.

What is the building the marine walks by right after the Weldbot (at 0:24). Looks like it could be the MASC Factory or Arms Lab.

<!--quoteo(post=1751207:date=Feb 5 2010, 08:26 PM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Feb 5 2010, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, did anyone notice the shower of sparks that the marine is shooting when the skulk runs into the vent?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually figured it was a welder.

About the momentum, I supposed they plan to add it later and I'm in favor of that. I think it adds feel to the game especially with the aliens and their different sized creatures. Plus its another gameplay element to master.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    I'm not sure why you guys respond to CAKE. Incoherent, rambling sentences raging about some fantasyland NS1 do not an argument make. He's either trollin' or nuts, or both, anyway, in no way responsive to any of your arguments. I'll give you all the same advice I'd give to him if I thought he would listen: go do something more useful with your time.

The above message brought to you by a constie, exCAL vet, steam rating 10, playing NS for the last 8 years, and making valuable contributions to the NS community--like telling people not to feed trolls.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751728:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:02 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Feb 7 2010, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q: Does the pistol have an alt-fire with 4 shots? I noticed 4 bars right ounder the "10" in the ammo count. Wondering if that's for some alt-fire or indicates something else. Assault Rifle actually has the same 4 bars.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Clips?

<!--quoteo(post=1751728:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:02 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Feb 7 2010, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About the momentum, I supposed they plan to add it later and I'm in favor of that. I think it adds feel to the game especially with the aliens and their different sized creatures. Plus its another gameplay element to master.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Momentum is pretty damn tricky. On one hand, it WILL make you feel like you're playing on ice one way or another, on the other hand, it enhances experience greatly for reasons aforementioned.

Pretty sure all Half-Life/Source games have momentum to movement - on the ground, that is - but good luck even noticing it.

<!--quoteo(post=1751727:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:00 PM:name=Supernorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supernorn @ Feb 7 2010, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://ns2fail.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">http://ns2fail.wordpress.com/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sad now. I swear I have not seen something this pathetic in my entire life.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    While it is true that most games have some degree of momentum, what some ppl are suggesting is just out of hand. Controlling skulks with serious realistic momentum is going to be slippery around tight corners. It might be possible to get it working in a logical and seamless manner, but I don't really see a need for it other than some neat eyecandy and maybe a bit of gameplay value which will likely get old fast. The mod I'm on has it....and I hate it :P Also causes us some annoying graphical glitches, though that probably won't be an issue for NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751734:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:35 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ Feb 7 2010, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While it is true that most games have some degree of momentum, what some ppl are suggesting is just out of hand. Controlling skulks with serious realistic momentum is going to be slippery around tight corners. It might be possible to get it working in a logical and seamless manner, but I don't really see a need for it other than some neat eyecandy and maybe a bit of gameplay value which will likely get old fast. The mod I'm on has it....and I hate it :P Also causes us some annoying graphical glitches, though that probably won't be an issue for NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's very tricky to do right, but if so, it provides enormous learning curve and fun feedback: momentum is what makes bunny-hopping, rocket-jumping, etc. fun, except without the repetitive and unintuitive mantra involved. I think, unless there's some brilliant idea to change how momentum would be treated in general, it may be safer to just let it be.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I'd suggest playing the Mortal Kombat theme while reading this thread from the point that cake makes his first post... was playing in my head anyway.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Its too too bad I already posted in this thread. I otherwise:
    <b>Constie Post Count +1.</b>

But wait... could it be... that I liked the video, am happy for the patch(es) and can't wait for the Alpha to arrive?
    Just because you're a veteran of any game means that you are the ultimate guide to how things should be. NS2 will be very different from NS1. Old news. Lets move on.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751741:date=Feb 8 2010, 12:11 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Feb 8 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd suggest playing the Mortal Kombat theme while reading this thread from the point that cake makes his first post... was playing in my head anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Techno+Syndrome+Mortal+Kombat/8125526" target="_blank">Auditory aid.</a>
  • s0ks0k Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70473Members
    edited February 2010
    Honestly, the criticism of the individual elements seems unnecessary, but I can understand it since we've had so little to look over. When we get something, we devour it like a pack of rabid, starving animals. Take the footage for what it is -- early, somewhat unpolished gameplay. It's always a slippery slope when developers release unpolished footage; however, what's significant here is what the footage represents.

All the pieces of the game are finally coming together. What made the original game so appealing, at least to me and my friends, was the truly unique blend of gameplay elements and atmosphere. They've nailed the atmosphere, barring the odd nuance. How it plays is my concern, and it seems too early for that still.

One of the defining qualities of the original game was how easy it was to play but how hard it was to master. My biggest concern with sequels in general is that developers think complexity equates to more fun. We'll have to see.

All in all, there's a large community of ex-players out there, like myself, who are just waiting to jump into the next generation of Natural Selection. Here's hoping for the level of fun we had in the original.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751695:date=Feb 7 2010, 02:05 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Feb 7 2010, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh ya, people are just mad because <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->"THEIR MOVEMENT EXPLOIT"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> is not being included into the game.

Oh yes I am a <b><u><!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Team Fortress VET<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></u></b> who is really good at all forms or circle jumping/strafe jumping/bunny hopping/<b>inverted bunny hopping</b>, and it does not bother me they are not including it.

<b>Inverted bunny hopping</b> is where you use +forward and +back (W/S) to bunny hop. Yes it is possible. Go fire up TFC and try to do it all the way from your Flagroom to theirs and cap the Flag, while also using the <b><u>Hand-Held Concussion Grenade Technique</u></b>. Come back when you have mastered that C4K3. Go EMO CRY somewhere else.

NS1 does not have that much skill in it compared to some other games, it has always been a little more new player accessible with a decent skill curve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've played both games at the competitive level and they both take about the same skill. It's funny how you say that you're not an elitist, then go on to brag about easy movement skills, formatting the hell out of your text in a ridiculous attempt to sound important and get attention. The funniest part is bunnyhopping was confirmed a few months ago yet you're both arguing over it's exclusion and it is completely irrelevant to this thread. That said, what cake fails to mention is that he is considered just as idiotic by the people he claims he's arguing for as he is here.

As for criticisms immediately relevant to the video and not just the game's design in general, I have a few. The skulk's animation look a little stuttered from the short glimpse we see. It might be because it's mostly the long legs moving, but it makes him look a little odd and possibly hard to track. It's too early to tell if those concerns are issues though. The skulk's feet clacking sound should have it's volume lowered. The marine's health bar shouldn't be larger than the armor if armor works the same way as it did in NS1. I'm disappointed that sprint has been added into the game. I feel like it can only mess up pub play in a game that encourages marines to be in squads. People will run around, breaking up groups and getting themselves and others killed. Sprint has only ever seemed to fit in war games where the people with guns need to run to cover from fire. Other than that I've never seen it make add anything to games, only detract from the gameplay and make it feel like you need to put your defenses down to keep up.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If you're going to criticise people, stop mentioning the same stuff people are mentioning over and over again. It gets boring to see a "I'll add my two cents in" and you read something that's been posted twice in the past 5 threads you read on each page.
  • ZhukZhuk Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70474Members
    Really enjoyed the pre-alpha footage, the game looks great, the artwork especially is top notch and the atmosphere of the game is perfect. You guys have made massive progress so far and it really shows, thanks for sharing this with everyone :)

keep up the good work!
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The models looks great. Especially the Gorge and the Resource Tower. I also love the Skulk's movement (The way his feet move).

I'm really impressed with the shadow effects. I think it'll play a big roll in multi player.

Nice work.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751676:date=Feb 7 2010, 10:20 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since most of the good veteran players of all time are so pissed to post / read anything over here I think it would be a good idea bring to you some quotations, guess who said what:

<b>Whining removed.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, you and your friends sure do like to cry a whole lot about a game that isn't even released yet. And threatening to exploit servers? Oh my god, watch out UWE! Christ, get a life.

<!--quoteo(post=1751682:date=Feb 7 2010, 10:41 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b> <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->trolling<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b> several NS related forums<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that pretty much sums it up.
  • minomino Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42334Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    C'mon guys dont feed the troll :)

I like the little preview of the pre alpha! Its so hard to get there as a developer. You code thousand of lines and you cant see nothing of your game, but then it begins that the optical things move togehter. Its nice to see this progress in real time by UWE as a not developer.

Guys you rock! I'm getting more and more interested in game programming by your technical postings.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sigh, guys, C4K3 is taking a break. Ignore him and move on.
  • fuyuki359fuyuki359 Join Date: 2008-08-06 Member: 64762Members
    edited February 2010
    You know something. Now that I looked through all C4K3 posts and went through a couple of evolvens dot com threads, I think they're right....

*shield up*

@this one is for you C4K3 and the vet players

I have finally realized that after all these time I have been blinded by the hype so much that I could not see things that might hurting the future of NS 2.

Sure C4K3 might sound like a troll, but as you look through his posts; he have point. Natural Selection 2 is starting to become like a no brainer generic game.

Again now that I think about:
    -Serious, Gun Melee? How the heck can you even manage to melee a skulk to a wall and kill it? despite the fact that these upgrade skulks now have armor and they probably around a hundred pound plus. Why even need range weapon, when you can Rocky Balboa the ###### out of the Kharaa?
    In NS 1, using a knife is like a deathwish unless you got the skulk beat up good enough. And now you can fist the skulk to death??? WHAT!?! so the new skulk weaker than the old one? Charles Darwin be face pawning*

-I'm not going to complain about the "switch-axe", becuz if it property work the same way the knife does then I can just fpsbanana and skin it to like a uh...knife or katana, chainsword or w/e

-now the issue with the new armory...marines can now buy their own weapons....this does not help coordinating marines to work as a team for everyone will just run out on their or try to kill steal just to get their hands on other weapons...again gunning and running. And trust me there will be nubs that going to hump the armory for hours choosing his bb gun. Armory Humping is already bad in NS 1 before now why the heck would you want to make it worse? Its was good that you make everyone start out full armor, but why you gotta ###### it even more on other part.

-now I have no complain about the bite-cam, I got use to it in NS 1, and it was a pretty creative first person idea for biting. Sure it does obscure your view a bit, but still it make you feel like a skulk.

-Flamers...this is the weapon that bring up a lot of contradicting sense about space travel, which already mention by C4K3 before. And I do agree with him that this weapon have no place in space combat, there are others way to replace this weapon for clearing infestations. How about a anti-infestation gas that stop the infestation and kill them(how? nano duh)

- The graphic lag shown in the video are clearly unacceptable, and I'm sure that Flaya and Corey were fraping this on their high end computer. I know this is an early footage but PLEASE PLEASE!!! take this into consideration.

- Sprinting...it's already bad enough that most aliens have to get into close combat with marines, and now they can sprint their ass out of danger? WOW! please don't tell me you guys getting these concepts from that horrible fan-made movie on youtube.

-Why is the command station so damn huge now...holy crap, I mean that thing is almost as big as a damn shed. What do the command do in there? partying? the design in NS 1 make sense, all you need is a monitor a chair to sit on, hell...I was thinking why can't a commander use a laptop.

- Drones...only thing I can say is "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" so pretty much marines in NS 2 will be gunning and running...it pretty much kill Nature Selection and sum up that it going to be a no-brainer game.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    Oh boy..you might wanna do some research before you get in such a position.
    Just a few things:

-I'm not sure about gun-melee, but I'm pretty sure they won't OP it and after all alpha-testing can still change it.
    In ns1 you have marines dancing out skulks with dodge-jumps, (backwards) double jumps, bhop on rails and ramps, etc. even while reloading!
    So in ns2 you can dodge, sprint and gun-melee to deny the final bite to the skulk, but you can't reload during gun-melee, right? So this doesn't help rambos much and helps groups of marines.
    This ability rather buys you or better your teammate sometime than damaging the skulk.
    I can imagine that the skulk gets smashed at the wall when it is very close to it, or as a sorta death-animation when the low damage gun melee kills it due to very low hp.

-You can't exploit the ns2 armory, because you have your own respool. Thus you can't screw up research and commander's resources in general.

-Flamethrower isn't worse than grenades regarding the whole sci-fi setting and spaceship/station enviroment. It's a common weapon in games and makes the casual gamer happy, when he/she explores the game. It's purpose to clean DI makes sense and it is visually far more appealling and distinctive than some boring gas, which would also be to similar too spore/umbra.

-I don't like how the closed CC looks tbh, but after all it is a main-target and has to be huge so as many aliens as possible can attack it at once.

-Drones: You see a lot of "pro"-players on public that run of for fragging and don't care to build, bite rts, weld structures, etc, because it's boring to them. If it gets too much it's also boring to me so I can understand that position. So here we have some AI for the commander to toy with that makes our dirty jobs and still you keep complaining?!

-Complaining about things that are clearly declared as placeholder and whining about a sloppy performance in a quickly assembled movie makes you just look clueless.

Just to be clear, I love the marine and alien movement in ns1 and I'd love to keep it, but you have to acknowledge that it's hard and unintuitive for new players. They have to find other ways.
    You can still use LUA to make a ns1-classic mod or movement-mod or whatever..