BZ - Character customization PLEASE?

ClearVallClearVall Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249668Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
edited January 31 in Ideas and Suggestions
Yeah, look, I do know that it's time of tolerance and all that, but still... Why not to give us a variety? You see, I want to play a white male character because I AM a white male guy. I want to equate myself with a survivor, and I won't be able to do that with a black female hero, whose hands and voice (screams) I hear all the time while playing. This will just ruin all the atmosphere for me. In the first game it was not that bad cause hero was male at least. So really, there is nothing in terms of racism e.t.c. to give us an option to choose the gender and skin color when starting the new game.
LF for Below Zero ^^
Post edited by ClearVall on
AndrosJr69VectorMaster22baronvonsatan

Comments

  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 238 Advanced user
    Can't help you, but character customization is a good thought. But you can't see your character, so i don't see why you'd care.
    Milkshake
  • ClearVallClearVall Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249668Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
    I can see hands and I can hear voice, so I believe I CAN "see" character in some way =/
  • dreamsunderstarsdreamsunderstars Texas Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249898Members Posts: 3 Freshly registered user
    ClearVall wrote: »
    Yeah, look, I do know that it's time of tolerance and all that, but still... Why not to give us a variety? You see, I want to play a white male character because I AM a white male guy. I want to equate myself with a survivor, and I won't be able to do that with a black female hero, whose hands and voice (screams) I hear all the time while playing. This will just ruin all the atmosphere for me. In the first game it was not that bad cause hero was male at least. So really, there is nothing in terms of racism e.t.c. to give us an option to choose the gender and skin color when starting the new game.
    LF for Below Zero ^^

    And now you know what it's like to be a woman playing video games when half the time a set hero defaults to male and can't be changed. Not saying I don't want choice. The first game was a male character, BZ is not a continuation of the original, it's a new story.
    Can't help you, but character customization is a good thought. But you can't see your character, so i don't see why you'd care.

    Incorrect. You can see the hands, you can hear a female voice, hell, several of the portraits in the starting area show your character. I don't see why you care about someone else's concern since it doesn't seem to bother you.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 238 Advanced user
    Ok, ok, you got me.
  • MilkshakeMilkshake Romania Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249782Members Posts: 11 Fully active user
    This suggestion is not feasible if you look at their game design realistically.

    Subnautica Below Zero is intended to be more focused on the story, involving backgrounds for the characters and a lot of voice acting.
    They are not a triple A development studio like EA - Bioware, so you have to consider that they can't afford to go into such things.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 238 Advanced user
    edited February 11
    Wait, does the voice of the character sound similar to the girl that was on the Live video from the station, or is that just me?(Sorry, don't remember her name :'()
    Post edited by AC_AwesomeCraft on
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 14 Fully active user
    edited February 11
    Robin Goodall's character is a bit too deep rooted into Subzeros storyline to have such a customization be plausible. (Cause face it it's a character driven narrative, change her and you'd have to change Sam too. Less you are okay with siblings looking nothing alike. Not to mention finding a voice actor to rerecord lines... which would have to probably change, as Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam, a guy wouldn't talk like that. )

    So story mode Subzero isn't a good setting for customization. Creative Mode could feature it however.

    And I would certainly love it being added to base game. As our boy there could use some help with gaining some Personality. Even if just in costomizing looks and clothing colors.
    Rezca
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 238 Advanced user
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam,

    Is there really a such thing as girly?
    baronvonsatan
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 14 Fully active user
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam,

    Is there really a such thing as girly?

    Absolutely. I should know. I am as girly as they come. Robin's demeanor and speech patterns are very feminine. She's really cute. I love her personality. Which is why I don't think that the option to change gender could be implemented easy as simply rerecording the lines.

    I don't have a transcript of the dialogue so I couldn'tsay what would have to be changed of anything. And I'm in no way an expert on male behavior. But I still think there would have to be a few changes, as guys tend to be more emotionally reserved. Idk. It's complicated.

    Rezca
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 238 Advanced user
    You mean we don't express our feelings? It just depends on the person, i like Robin's personality too, and changing the gender would make for a lot of work to find voices, as you said, and character personality.
    I don't care for gender personally, i just play the game and enjoy it, i don't even pay any attention to gender that often.

    And when i say girly, i mean more on the lines of girl things and boy things, i think all things are just, things, that boys and/or girls like. I don't mean feminine, there is a big difference between feminine and manly. (Sorry, i don't really care for the way i type much)
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members Posts: 41 Advanced user
    edited February 19
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin's demeanor and speech patterns are very feminine. She's really cute. I love her personality. Which is why I don't think that the option to change gender could be implemented easy as simply rerecording the lines.
    Well, can't argue about that. But for me, her personality was a huge disappointment.

    Spoiler Alert
    See, there's another game in which a 'cute', but rather lax and 'over-emotional' female protagonist gets in contact with an AI - just out of coincidence - and is going to explore rather geometric alien structures that tend to be filled with nothing but oversized control devices and gravitational elevation...
    and this game is called MassEffect Andromeda.
    (and you might have heard about how well this AAA game was received)

    So at least for me, the decision to head into the same direction and making 'cuteness' the most striking personality trait of the female protagonist is negligently stupid. Ripley (Alien) wasn't 'cute'; nor was Furiosa (Mad Max), nor was Queen Elizabeth or Cersei Lannister! 'Cuteness' is all to often just another word for 'incompetent, but at least docile' or 'potential love interest for losers'.
    Post edited by darrin on
    baronvonsatan
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 14 Fully active user
    darrin wrote: »
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin's demeanor and speech patterns are very feminine. She's really cute. I love her personality. Which is why I don't think that the option to change gender could be implemented easy as simply rerecording the lines.
    Well, can't argue about that. But for me, her personality was a huge disappointment.

    Spoiler Alert
    See, there's another game in which a 'cute', but rather lax and 'over-emotional' female protagonist gets in contact with an AI - just out of coincidence - and is going to explore rather geometric alien structures that tend to be filled with nothing but oversized control devices and gravitational elevation...
    and this game is called MassEffect Andromeda.
    (and you might have heard about how well this AAA game was received)

    So at least for me, the decision to head into the same direction and making 'cuteness' the most striking personality trait of the female protagonist is negligently stupid. Ripley (Alien) wasn't 'cute'; nor was Furiosa (Mad Max), nor was Queen Elizabeth or Cersei Lannister! 'Cuteness' is all to often just another word for 'incompetent, but at least docile' or 'potential love interest for losers'.

    I have heard several scathing reviews for MEA yes, did not know about the female lead being mandatory. far as I ever heard the protagonist's gender and personality are usually up to the player.

    (Or was it the sister? I did hear people complain about her.)

    I don't mind cute girls, I actually prefer approachable, endearing characters over the recent on slot of wooden block overly masculine women of recent years. That being said over incompetence isn't in any way endearing.

    But in this case the character did have to be at least a bit open and willing to work with the alien. I think Robin's proved that she's not stupid, she hasn't blindly trusted Al-An. They're interactions so far have actually been humorous and amusing. Which I appreciate. I much prefer that to having to sit and listen to a less light hearted character whining and complaining or full out being angry and antagonistic towards the alien in their head.

    Rezca
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 14 Fully active user
    edited February 19
    You mean we don't express our feelings? It just depends on the person, i like Robin's personality too, and changing the gender would make for a lot of work to find voices, as you said, and character personality.
    I don't care for gender personally, i just play the game and enjoy it, i don't even pay any attention to gender that often.

    And when i say girly, i mean more on the lines of girl things and boy things, i think all things are just, things, that boys and/or girls like. I don't mean feminine, there is a big difference between feminine and manly. (Sorry, i don't really care for the way i type much)

    No I mean men generally have better control of their emotions, and express themselves differently.

    Robin gets annoyed with her sister not acting warmly to her and actively tries to make her show more affection. I don't think a guy would get so hung up on that. A guy would probably not spend several minutes asking her to be more affectionate. A guy who was annoyed with ill treatment would probably just tack on an "Okay whatever, love you too sis." To the end of the conversation, rather than constantly heckling.



    RezcaAC_AwesomeCraft
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members Posts: 41 Advanced user
    edited February 19
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    I have heard several scathing reviews for MEA yes, did not know about the female lead being mandatory.
    I never said the gender was mandatory. In fact, you have a choice in MassEffect Andromeda.

    Still most of the complains were about the female protagonist and for similar reasons. And this is exactly the point. Even if BZ would offer a gender choice and the devs would hire a male voice actor, things would still be similar to MEA and both games would still share the same 'issues' (or let's call it 'risks').
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    I don't mind cute girls, I actually prefer approachable, endearing characters over the recent on slot of wooden block overly masculine women of recent years. That being said over incompetence isn't in any way endearing.

    But in this case the character did have to be at least a bit open and willing to work with the alien. I think Robin's proved that she's not stupid, she hasn't blindly trusted Al-An. They're interactions so far have actually been humorous and amusing. Which I appreciate. I much prefer that to having to sit and listen to a less light hearted character whining and complaining or full out being angry and antagonistic towards the alien in their head.
    Well, personal preferences I guess.

    I don't want to be nitpicking about work in progress, but I called her incompetent because she can't distinguish 'work' and 'free time'. Furthermore, she didn't ask her sister why she is so formal, she tried to correct her... that's something different. Because she puts her disregard on formalities above the wishes of her sister. And when she didn't get what she wanted, she pouted.... (at work!)

    Likewise, her first reaction to the base being blocked was to ask "How do you know my name?"... which is kind of egocentric. It's also kind of stupid to assume the aliens couldn't achieve that by eavesdropping, especially since it's not her first visit down there.

    I'd probably be surprised to see an reaction whatsoever or at least being shocked to hear someone speaking and would ask "what?"; "who's there?" or probably wouldn't respond at all.

    Her second sentence: "I come in peace!" is also egocentric ("I" instead of "We") and incompetent because it's an hollow phrase and implies that her words alone would be convincing enough. I'd probably let my actions speak for themself and walk back slowly (still under shock).

    Later, when she's at the sanctuary and the alien introduces itself as AL-AN , she makes unqualified comments about 'meeting an Alan out here'. Sure, you can call this 'cute' or 'girly', but it's actually rude. Just imagine the same scenario in real life. You'd be in a foreign country, you'd introduce yourself for the first time and someone would make some misplaced comments about your name.

    But I guess it's ok for her to act as if nothing is of consequence... because it's a just a game trying to entertain the player (during their free time).

    You see, It's personal preference...
    Post edited by darrin on
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & QA Lead, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,993 admin
    ClearVall wrote: »
    Yeah, look, I do know that it's time of tolerance and all that, but still... Why not to give us a variety? You see, I want to play a white male character because I AM a white male guy. I want to equate myself with a survivor, and I won't be able to do that with a black female hero, whose hands and voice (screams) I hear all the time while playing. This will just ruin all the atmosphere for me. In the first game it was not that bad cause hero was male at least. So really, there is nothing in terms of racism e.t.c. to give us an option to choose the gender and skin color when starting the new game.
    LF for Below Zero ^^

    You were not a white male in the first game. You are not a white male in the second game. Playing from different perspectives broadens your horizons.

    We will not be making a character selection, as the story is about a particular person who happens to look they way they do.

    If NS2 fails, follow my Nuke From Orbit Guide.

    NS2 Discord: https://discord.gg/0TKQwZWu7JEPeAgW

    Subnautica Discord: https://discord.gg/subnautica

    RezcabaronvonsatanJakobWulfkindAC_AwesomeCraft
This discussion has been closed.