BZ - Character customization PLEASE?

ClearVallClearVall Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249668Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
edited January 31 in Ideas and Suggestions
Yeah, look, I do know that it's time of tolerance and all that, but still... Why not to give us a variety? You see, I want to play a white male character because I AM a white male guy. I want to equate myself with a survivor, and I won't be able to do that with a black female hero, whose hands and voice (screams) I hear all the time while playing. This will just ruin all the atmosphere for me. In the first game it was not that bad cause hero was male at least. So really, there is nothing in terms of racism e.t.c. to give us an option to choose the gender and skin color when starting the new game.
LF for Below Zero ^^
Post edited by ClearVall on
Rezca

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 203 Advanced user
    Can't help you, but character customization is a good thought. But you can't see your character, so i don't see why you'd care.
    Milkshake
  • ClearVallClearVall Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249668Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
    I can see hands and I can hear voice, so I believe I CAN "see" character in some way =/
  • dreamsunderstarsdreamsunderstars Texas Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249898Members Posts: 3 Freshly registered user
    ClearVall wrote: »
    Yeah, look, I do know that it's time of tolerance and all that, but still... Why not to give us a variety? You see, I want to play a white male character because I AM a white male guy. I want to equate myself with a survivor, and I won't be able to do that with a black female hero, whose hands and voice (screams) I hear all the time while playing. This will just ruin all the atmosphere for me. In the first game it was not that bad cause hero was male at least. So really, there is nothing in terms of racism e.t.c. to give us an option to choose the gender and skin color when starting the new game.
    LF for Below Zero ^^

And now you know what it's like to be a woman playing video games when half the time a set hero defaults to male and can't be changed. Not saying I don't want choice. The first game was a male character, BZ is not a continuation of the original, it's a new story.
    Can't help you, but character customization is a good thought. But you can't see your character, so i don't see why you'd care.

Incorrect. You can see the hands, you can hear a female voice, hell, several of the portraits in the starting area show your character. I don't see why you care about someone else's concern since it doesn't seem to bother you.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members Posts: 203 Advanced user
    Ok, ok, you got me.
  • MilkshakeMilkshake Romania Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249782Members Posts: 10 Fully active user
    This suggestion is not feasible if you look at their game design realistically.

Subnautica Below Zero is intended to be more focused on the story, involving backgrounds for the characters and a lot of voice acting.
    They are not a triple A development studio like EA - Bioware, so you have to consider that they can't afford to go into such things.
    edited February 11
    Wait, does the voice of the character sound similar to the girl that was on the Live video from the station, or is that just me?(Sorry, don't remember her name :'()
    Post edited by AC_AwesomeCraft on
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 10 Fully active user
    edited February 11
    Robin Goodall's character is a bit too deep rooted into Subzeros storyline to have such a customization be plausible. (Cause face it it's a character driven narrative, change her and you'd have to change Sam too. Less you are okay with siblings looking nothing alike. Not to mention finding a voice actor to rerecord lines... which would have to probably change, as Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam, a guy wouldn't talk like that. )

So story mode Subzero isn't a good setting for customization. Creative Mode could feature it however.

And I would certainly love it being added to base game. As our boy there could use some help with gaining some Personality. Even if just in costomizing looks and clothing colors.
    Rezca
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam,

Is there really a such thing as girly?
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members Posts: 10 Fully active user
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Robin does act quite girly when talking to Sam,

Is there really a such thing as girly?

Absolutely. I should know. I am as girly as they come. Robin's demeanor and speech patterns are very feminine. She's really cute. I love her personality. Which is why I don't think that the option to change gender could be implemented easy as simply rerecording the lines.

I don't have a transcript of the dialogue so I couldn'tsay what would have to be changed of anything. And I'm in no way an expert on male behavior. But I still think there would have to be a few changes, as guys tend to be more emotionally reserved. Idk. It's complicated.

Rezca
    You mean we don't express our feelings? It just depends on the person, i like Robin's personality too, and changing the gender would make for a lot of work to find voices, as you said, and character personality.
    I don't care for gender personally, i just play the game and enjoy it, i don't even pay any attention to gender that often.

And when i say girly, i mean more on the lines of girl things and boy things, i think all things are just, things, that boys and/or girls like. I don't mean feminine, there is a big difference between feminine and manly. (Sorry, i don't really care for the way i type much)