[Crash] Subnautica crashes on startup

oliv7391oliv7391 Denmark Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223827Members
Subnautica crashes on startup here is the Error http://pastebin.com/RYganc6H and here is the Output log http://pastebin.com/CXkWQ8Lg

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Experimental has a glitch; they're working on it. Good on you for being proactive though. :D
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited November 2016
    I get a crash at start and with the -force-d3d9 launch option i get this http://imgur.com/a/lRbuI

Current experimental build (worked fine yesterday).
  • Torvar72Torvar72 Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245982Members
    I got the game recently through Epic games and the game will not load at all it crashes every time
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Torvar72 wrote: »
    I got the game recently through Epic games and the game will not load at all it crashes every time

@Torvar72 You need to update your GPU drivers.
  • iceking1152iceking1152 United States Join Date: 2018-12-18 Member: 246188Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Torvar72 wrote: »

@Torvar72 You need to update your GPU drivers.

I tried this and it didn't work
  • GAWA1NGAWA1N USA Join Date: 2018-12-17 Member: 246075Members
    edited December 2018
    Same exact problem. Updated my drivers, validated the game, uninstalled - reinstalled, verified again, nothing works. It looks like a decent game but I have not even made it to the opening cinematics yet. Will try to attach the error file, finger crossed.

PS having to wait a day to ask for help = Not fun.
  • drbobdrbob Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246031Members
    I ran into this issue - try deleting (or move it elswhere) options.bin in AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\SavedGames\options\

I think the issue began on the next start after I changed the game resolution from native 1080p to 720p. Haven't been able to replicate the problem since subnautica started working again.

Not 100% sure it was options.bin that fixed it as I reinstalled my GPU driver at the same time.
  • GAWA1NGAWA1N USA Join Date: 2018-12-17 Member: 246075Members
    Still nothing Day 3 and I still can not play the game.
    All my drivers are up to date
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Guys, post your output_log.txt from \Program Files\Epic Games\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\

If there is a folder consisting of a date (like YYYY-MM-DD_HHMMSS) in \Subnautica\, check in there for an output_log.txt as well.

Upload to Pastebin.com and post a link here (just mangle the link if you can't post links, like this: pastebin. com /qwertyz21 )
  • LordOfBeyondLordOfBeyond Join Date: 2018-12-18 Member: 246288Members
    edited December 2018
    Hi Guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me why I cant run this amazing (I think it is) game? So I have latest nvidia drivers. I dont have problem running any other game (I have 300+) , all of them run great. Please help, here is path to my output log.

( I was going to post link but I cant as I have fresh account so the output log is below - - remove spaces) - game is installed on D:

So I start the game and I have black screen with the beautiful ingame cursour, I can hear music and thats it.

Spec: i7 6700k, GTX 1080, 16 gb RAM, res: 3440 x 1440p

Things I have tried so far:

- updated all the drivers\
    - switched off nvidia overlay
    - reduced resolution before I started the game
    - verified game files
    - reinstalled game
    - launched with all the different compatibility settings
    - changed resolution

nothing has worked.

Please help !

Output log removed. fix below.
    edited December 2018
    Ok I have fixed this. So I have helped myself (thanks to one reddit user mentioned below), Thank you LordOfBeyond, ohhh thats alright, no need to thank me. Game is awesome. Thank developers. ok. thanks. So the way I did it was:

- Opt out of Beta in Epic Launcher
    - restart Epic Laucnher
    - go to settings (top right in the epic launcher - global settings, not subnautica's settings)
    - go to subnautica from the global options menu
    - open menu
    - open additional command line arguments
    - paste " -vrmode none "

Launch the game and....enjoy.

Thank you, thank you you are far too kind. I would like to send my warmest thanks to monkeypants844 whose post helped me figure out that cause of all my subnautica problems was my oculus rift.

• romrom Join Date: 2018-12-19 Member: 246362Members
  • kxs031kxs031 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246512Members
    Ok I have fixed this. So I have helped myself (thanks to one reddit user mentioned below), Thank you LordOfBeyond, ohhh thats alright, no need to thank me. Game is awesome. Thank developers. ok. thanks. So the way I did it was:

- restart Epic Laucnher
    - go to settings (top right in the epic launcher - global settings, not subnautica's settings)
    - open menu
    - paste " -vrmode none "

Thank you, thank you you are far too kind. I would like to send my warmest thanks to monkeypants844 whose post helped me figure out that cause of all my subnautica problems was my oculus rift.

This worked partially. My game no longer crashes on start up. However, all my items are still reappearing and disappearing. Any suggestions on how to stop that? It makes it terrible when scanning stuff.
  • LordZ123LordZ123 Join Date: 2018-12-19 Member: 246361Members
    I have crashes on start-up too, but all of the solutions above do not work!
    Please help, I have only just got the free version on Epic Games!
    Here are the files below.
  • TakkaTakka Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246634Members
    edited December 2018
    Same as everyone else, got the game for free from epic games, worked flawlessly until yesterday it crashes on startup every time. This happened over night with no changes my end except a windows update. Rolled it back...nothing, GPU drivers....nothing. I have tried every fix I have found on every forum and UW's response in all of them is "roll back your AMD drivers".....which I don't have as I have a Nvidia card or "update your drivers"......which I already had.

If started from .exe then loading wheel crash to desktop, and error ls-0013 through epic games launcher. I had an output log that identified a crash, but now it doesn't and doesn't seem to be generating a new one when I try to start the game. I will include it anyway but as you say there will be no human response I'm not sure it matters, I have seen hundreds of people post theirs to no avail.

The fact you are not more on top of a problem that a huge number of users seem to be having is atrocious, it also seems from the above post that I am not the only one having this issue right at this moment so it seems very unlikely to be a problem on my end. I have seen posts about this very same issue from 2015 and then posts 3 years later from the same people saying they never found a fix...and they paid for the game. A lot of them, and you seem to not even be acknowledging that this is even happening on a wide scale. By your apparent slow response times and lack of help to others I am not holding out hope that you will resolve this. I was completely in love with this game, I damn sure wont be buying below zero now though.

I would post a new topic and a pastebin link but you want me "to be around a little longer" before I can do that.

Files below. Unsure how to find "error log".

• RITBeastRITBeast United States Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246639Members
    I have an issue where it loads fine from desktop shortcut, but when i try to launch using steam "non-steam added game", It briefly starts before exiting without getting to the menu. Kinda need that to work for it to run through my steam link.
    Update: I created a new log on for windows, game runs fine on that account..what?
    Update 2: After fresh install on original account still no joy although I can confirm no output log is being created when the game is launched.
    Update 3: No dice, worked for one launch on the other account, now same issue on second account. only thing in between was I transferred my save game, though as the game wouldn't start I don't see how that could be an issue. Removing the save game from the folder has no effect. I also plugged in a controller.
  • AwarasAwaras Join Date: 2018-12-22 Member: 246677Members

- restart Epic Laucnher
    - open menu
    - paste " -vrmode none "

I had the same problem since yesterday, after doing this the game works again with no issues. Thanks.
    The funny thing is that I have no VR at all...
    edited December 2018
    RITBeast wrote: »
    I have an issue where it loads fine from desktop shortcut, but when i try to launch using steam "non-steam added game", It briefly starts before exiting without getting to the menu. Kinda need that to work for it to run through my steam link.

I have exactly the same issue. It worked fine for a couple of days then without warning an update from epic happened and it broke. First it would simply crash on start every time, then another update and I have the current symptoms (can't launch via the exe)

I read here on the steam forums that epic accidentally published a DRM free version of subnautica, that is why launching via the exe file worked at first. Now they have patched in DRM it can only be started via the epic launcher and this prevents steam streaming from working.

I really like the game but at this point I've spent more time diagnosing problems than actually playing it. If in home streaming is blocked I have no viable way to play.
    It is true I launch it through steam for the control pad support, and it worked on my second profile from the .exe the first time. The next time a launched it through steam so maybe that is the common factor. Although deleting the steam shortcut and cutting of any connection between the two should fix it if that was the case. I can't see how launching it through steam would break the install permanently unless it identified as some kind of pirate copy. Puzzling.

It's ironic if the thing with the DRM is true. They release a game for free, giving would be pirates a chance to get a legit copy. They bork the DRM, mess it up for a bunch of legit copy holders both paid and unpaid, which presents getting a pirate copy of the game to finish it as as possibly the only alternative. This or drive people away from epic games to steam, which is kind of counter productive to the aim of the give away.
    drbob wrote: »

I have exactly the same issue. It worked fine for a couple of days then without warning an update from epic happened and it broke. First it would simply crash on start every time, then another update and I have the current symptoms (can't launch via the exe)

-Link removed due to being a noob- that epic accidentally published a DRM free version of subnautica, that is why launching via the exe file worked at first. Now they have patched in DRM it can only be started via the epic launcher and this prevents steam streaming from working.

I really like the game but at this point I've spent more time diagnosing problems than actually playing it. If in home streaming is blocked I have no viable way to play.

Thank you! That thread actually had the solution in it! Reposting Alexander-V's solution from that thread in case anyone else is encountering the same issue:

- create a shortcut for the game in the epic launcher if you don't have one already
    - right-click the shortcut -> select the "Web Document" tab -> copy the URL (in my case: com.epicgames.launcher://apps/Jaguar?action=launch&silent=true)
    - open steam
    - click "Games" -> "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library..."
    - click "BROWSE..."
    - search the exe (in my case: D:\Games\Epic Games\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe)
    - click "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"
    - now right click Subnautica in your Steam library -> select Properties
    - in the TARGET field remove the entry and add the URL you copied before instead with "" around it (in my case: "com.epicgames.launcher://apps/Jaguar?action=launch&silent=true")
    - click CLOSE and launch the game from Steam

edited December 2018
    Thank you! That thread actually had the solution in it! Reposting Alexander-V's solution from that thread in case anyone else is encountering the same issue:

- create a shortcut for the game in the epic launcher if you don't have one already
    - right-click the shortcut -> select the "Web Document" tab -> copy the URL (in my case: com.epicgames.launcher://apps/Jaguar?action=launch&silent=true)
    - open steam
    - click "Games" -> "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library..."
    - click "BROWSE..."
    - search the exe (in my case: D:\Games\Epic Games\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe)
    - click "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"
    - now right click Subnautica in your Steam library -> select Properties
    - in the TARGET field remove the entry and add the URL you copied before instead with "" around it (in my case: "com.epicgames.launcher://apps/Jaguar?action=launch&silent=true")
    - click CLOSE and launch the game from Steam

That works to launch the game from within steam, but because of the way that shortcut works steam doesn't recognise that the game has launched - steam overlay an in home streaming still don't work.

Arrg, it started crashing again. I've created a separate thread about my issue because it seems to be unrelated to the problems recently discussed in this thread.

drbob wrote: »

That works to launch the game from within steam, but because of the way that shortcut works steam doesn't recognise that the game has launched - steam overlay an in home streaming still don't work.
    Gah, yeah, it didn't recognize my controller. Played at the pc for a bit out of frustration, but tough to play with toddler in your lap.

• MesumMesum Ukraine Join Date: 2018-12-23 Member: 246812Members
    edited December 2018
    I have similar problem.
    Game was working nice for 36 hours but after last launch it begin crashing in 1-2 minutes after start. It seems heppens while loading
    surroundings becose if i stay in cyclope or habitat and dont move it run longer before crash.
    I already tried:
    - updated all the drivers
    - used some old AMD drivers like drbob
    - reduced resolution before I started the game
    - verified game files
    - launched with -force-d3d9 and -vrmode none
    - did new save after start and before crash

update:

- used -force-opengl but game didnt lauch at all
    - tried to install Radeon Adrenalin 2019 Edition but my GPU is too old for this
    - check files with Piriform Recuva
    unknown worlds just needs to give steam keys for the game to those that got it from Epic cause this is BS