IN NEED OF A TUNE UP??

BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
IN NEED OF A TUNE UP??
Is your ideology equipped with unreliable brakes and steering?
Does it veer sharply always to the left, or pull to the right into oncoming traffic?
Can't put the brakes on your economy?
Think of your safety, and that of your children's children. Get your ideology serviced today!

(Just thought we needed some better quality SPAM)

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Fine, I'll bite it.

Global warming is a myth!!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Fine, I'll bite it.

No, no, no. Manmade Glowbal Warming / CC is either 1) wildly exaggerated or 2) a fabrication, and most warming / CC is from natural causes, as seen in historical cyclical records of warming and cooling throughout history. Also, interventions thought up today are 1) hideously expensive to the economy and 2) not guaranteed to do much more than spit in the winds of warming / CC (gotta call it Climate Change or when the next cooling cycle comes around your gig is up).

I have an entire folder on this. Shall we play?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Fine, I'll bite it.

No, no, no. Manmade Glowbal Warming / CC is either 1) wildly exaggerated or 2) a fabrication, and most warming / CC is from natural causes, as seen in historical cyclical records of warming and cooling throughout history. Also, interventions thought up today are 1) hideously expensive to the economy and 2) not guaranteed to do much more than spit in the winds of warming / CC (gotta call it Climate Change or when the next cooling cycle comes around your gig is up).

I have an entire folder on this. Shall we play?

I feel a forums war about to start.

Shall I grab the popcorn?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yay, bullseye!!

This is gonna be so much fun
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    The Earth is flat.
    I object to the expression "Global Warming" because it implies otherwise
    edited December 2018
    Now, this isn't to say that we should allow polluting, or dirtying up our environment with industrial waste. THAT I believe everyone is agreed on. We should (I think) focus a lot more on that. The question is whether CO2, a byproduct of just about everything including breathing, is harmful, and if so, by how much, and how much we can mitigate GW / CC by our efforts, and whether it would be cost effective (it might cause more harm to us to try and stop GW / CC rather than simply attempting to put our industrialized resources into living with the results, if any).

sbh5wy.jpg

ejyh5v.jpg

Climate Change could best be summarized as It's Complicated™ Anyone who claims otherwise is (I believe) ether ignorant of a lot of the additional facts beyond the thin slice they've been inclined to peruse, or being disingenuous. The "95% of all scientists" argument is not really all that much because, when you look closer, you find that it's more like "95% of the scientists surveyed on this panel believe mankind has affected the climate to increase" and that doesn't specify if they think a) it's a problem at the level observed, and b) whether they think something can or should be done about it, or, even if they do, what they think we should do and by how much. There are in-depth articles etc, (and here's one) but here's a smattering of the reasons why Climate Change might not really be all it's cracked up to be, presented in graphical form:

15d075f.jpg

s3jarp.jpg

The rest, but collapsed so it doesn't overload the thread:
    2n9xn3n.jpg

nd3c75.jpg

2iuxi4h.jpg

2myrvoz.jpg

1zfh63l.jpg

23mo5lh.jpg

xpdgdu.jpg
    edited December 2018
    Oh wow, you meant that.

I hope, more than anything really, that you are correct.
    Dude got a serious Global Warming trigger.
    Now I want to produce such intricate responses for Flat Earth, and throw them whenever someone as much as think "flat".
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Oh wow, you meant that.

I hope, more than anything really, that you are correct.

Now, on a more serious note, I do believe these discussions are healthy.
    I usually stand on the Global Warning Denial role, but I'm ready to stand on the other side (if no one takes it) for the sake of discussion.
    edited December 2018
    I guess this will teach me to start a flippant forum thread!

I agree informed debate about such a serious issue is healthy. Essential really. And also very difficult to maintain.

But I don't think I want the stress of taking up the opposing role just here. This forum fulfils other functions for me. Sorry guys.
    Hmm. Can we at least agree that fudging actual accurate numbers from satellites to bring them more into line with "desired" outcomes, is quite wrong, especially within the scientific community? Anyone interested should look up "ClimateGate" on Google, and compare the results with those found by searching "ClimateGate" on DuckDuckGo. The difference in results alone I find rather alarming.

And yes, this forum is not for actual debate. I have found most people engaging in online debate have absolutely zero interest in considering the other side of an argument. Some might say that includes myself, although from my point of view, it seems more like I see and reject arguments on the other side for valid reasons, and attempt to articulate those reasons in debate.

Bottom line, though, if no one wants to have a pointless online discussion about this, it's actually rather relieving, as in my experience they devolve into shouting matches pretty quick. Maybe this forum is different, that would be nice.

I guess the takeaway is, no one should be surprised when beginning conversations by painting large portions of the population with a sarcastic put-down result in members of said population responding (although it's more likely they will a) stay quiet and think less of you or b) be the obnoxious loudmouth of their group, make an ass of themselves, and make you inaccurately think even less of their entire group based on their poor personality).
    edited December 2018
    @0x6A7232 Ok, you got the my meaning of my quite OP wrong. It was aimed at equally at the left and right (check it again). Just a gentle dig at the perils of unalloyed ideology of any kind really.

Anyway I better opt out of the forums at this point. Sorry to have pissed you off, that's never going to help anything obviously.
    Mission accomplished commander.
    Discussion thread demoralized.

BlueBottle wrote: »
    @0x6A7232 Ok, you got the my meaning of my quite OP wrong. It was aimed at equally at the left and right (check it again). Just a gentle dig at the perils of unalloyed ideology of any kind really.

Anyway I better opt out of the forums at this point. Sorry to have pissed you off, that's never going to help anything obviously.
    Having placed the original response, I got your intent quite right.
    I don't think we can define ones political affinities in such a simplified spectrum as left/right. There is good and bad in both of them.
    Also you invoked the economy, our safety, our progeny safety and ideology.
    These things all go hand in hand. I just picked what seemed like the most controversial topic I could fit on top of it all.

If you are not familiar with the opposing arguments, at least enjoy this opportunity to acquaint with some of it.

And do not apologize when there's nothing to apologize for.
    Ok cheers.

All the best guys, and good Christmas!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @BlueBottle The starting post does indicate more danger to one side than the other. It could be made clearer by saying something like "to the left into a brick wall, or ..."

I doubt 0x6A7232 meant any offence, and they seemed to only wanted to illustrate that manmade GCC isn't as cut-and-dried as some want us to believe.

@Maalteromm Your debate against Flat-earthists should demand an explanation for differing seasons North/South of the equator, and how It can be noon at one point on earth when another is midnight. :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please do not spam the forums. This is the only warning I will give.
This discussion has been closed.