Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• VoidgazerVoidgazer Join Date: 2018-01-15 Member: 235069Members
    I had hoped for multiplayer, and in all honesty, I am a little disappointed that it won't be making it into the game. I was, after all, looking forward to roping my best friend into it, and immersing him (no pun intended) in the story and atmosphere of this game.

But who can honestly say that the game isn't an amazing, beautiful creation as it is? The atmosphere, story, environments... All beautifully crafted to make the game incredibly immersive, fun, terrifying, and at times, funny. "beautiful" is a word that I rarely ever use, but I use it in abundance when I talk about Subnautica. Each biome is unique and diverse, with a rich story and rather impressive voice acting.

taking all that into consideration, can anyone really say that Subnautica wasn't worth playing just because it didn't have multiplayer? I, for one, am proud to have been able to watch this game grow and mature into what it is today, to have been along for the ride, and been able to experience all of it for myself, the ups and downs. At the time it didn't seem like much, but looking back? I see that each time I played subnautica, each time I started over for a new update, I found myself enjoying it more and more. My only regret is not buying this game sooner. I wish I had been along for the ride on day one.
  • TheDude646TheDude646 Canada Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235108Members
    stop whining 'bout it
  • SilverHasArisenSilverHasArisen Indiana Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235096Members
    I personally think that coop or multiplayer would ruin the immersion for me. We would need a different play area, more vehicles, etc... things that would be designed from the start for multiplayer, not stuff to design a week before launch. I completely agree with this decision.
  • mickid94mickid94 United States Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235244Members
    Had this been fully released on Xbox one like it has pc?
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    mickid94 wrote: »
    Had this been fully released on Xbox one like it has pc?

• mickid94mickid94 United States Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235244Members
    Has**
    I got my answer on another post. It hasn't yet.
  • AbildgaardAbildgaard Danmark Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235324Members
    Just seeing coop / multiplayer option in main menu would litterally kill the immersion for me. I need this game to be about one guy against -the world- the fear of huge predators, drowning, vehicles getting crushed by depth. And you have noone to help!
  • dariontorealdariontoreal America Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235410Members
    Sorry but after seeing this I would like a refund center to be in place long enough for the coop funds to be redistributed I loved this game since day 1 but my opinions changed only due to coop beingredients refused exactly what happened to skyrim but theyou saved their ass by adding mod options.
    Just an opinion but I'd say at least 40% of the gaming world is enjoyed by coop please reconsider tying together coop at minimum? Would be enough to make this game of the century
    You said it yourselves since the beginning we've all wanted coop and I'd say most of your funds came from coop loving computer gaming people I feel cheated I'm sure a lot of people do we love you but we want our money back or at least add in the ability to have a second player. How many fans and have complained about this and for how long? I get scrubbing off a 10% loss in fans but this is closed to 40-60% it's literally devastating to you and your followers.
    Just my opinion but my resources are from your site so please reconsider plenty of us are begging "not whining", for this.
    Also if you feel as though people don't have a say in what they are paying for you are stupid we understand the difficulties of recoding an entire game so what about mods? A billion computers is better than 47.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Zer0Cool0 wrote: »
    Captagear wrote: »
    Flayra wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

Then this game will die. Unless you guys integrate mod support.

Yeah like all those games before multiplayer was a big thing *sarcasm* I think it will do just fine :)

I think I would last 100x longer with multiplayer. And if not multiplayer than it would last about 50x longer with mods. And if you take those two and put it together you got 500x longer. If this game doesn't do one of the two. It will eventually die.

All games eventually "die" in some form or another.

Look at SWG, a fantastic game that was killed almost overnight, by foolish developers who listened to a "very vocal minority" of players and changed the basic design of the game.

This game hasn't even released fully finished yet, and already the "doom-sayers" are complaining about it.
    How silly is that.

It's not going to be a MMO game, period.

But that doesn't mean it's not going to be really fun to play, it just means that certain folks will have to get their MMO-fix elsewhere.

I personally can't wait for V1.0 and I've already played through the game twice since finding it about a month ago.

I'm pretty sure it will do very well when it becomes a fully fledged experience.
    I know I've already started telling my gaming friends about it.
    B)

Mario Zelda skyrim cod battlefield Galliga pong.........your point of games dying?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    Hey everyone,

We've been getting tons and tons of questions and requests about whether we're going to add multiplayer to Subnautica or not.

Back in our early prototypes we always had multiplayer in the back of our mind. But we had so much to learn about the game, multiplayer was never a priority. Eventually we hit early access and now it would take many man-years to add any kind of multiplayer to Subnautica. We don't want to spend years more working on Subnautica before v1.0, so we sadly have come to terms with the fact that we won't be adding any kind of multiplayer or coop to the game.

Maybe one day we'll start over on a different engine and make a new Subnautica game based around coop. A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game.

But until then, we're going to finish up Subnautica the way it was meant to be: one person trying to survive in in a massive, dangerous, beautiful, alien world.

Yeah like all those games before multiplayer was a big thing *sarcasm* I think it will do just fine :)

I think I would last 100x longer with multiplayer. And if not multiplayer than it would last about 50x longer with mods. And if you take those two and put it together you got 500x longer. If this game doesn't do one of the two. It will eventually die.

Look at SWG, a fantastic game that was killed almost overnight, by foolish developers who listened to a "very vocal minority" of players and changed the basic design of the game.

This game hasn't even released fully finished yet, and already the "doom-sayers" are complaining about it.
    How silly is that.

But that doesn't mean it's not going to be really fun to play, it just means that certain folks will have to get their MMO-fix elsewhere.

I personally can't wait for V1.0 and I've already played through the game twice since finding it about a month ago.

I'm pretty sure it will do very well when it becomes a fully fledged experience.
    B)

Mario Zelda skyrim cod battlefield Galliga pong.........your point of games dying?

Where ya been dude?

Subnautica hasn't been going to be a MMO/Co-op game for almost TWO YEARS now!!

The point is... Get Over It.

Also, just so yer whine isn't completely without "cheese"...

There's a few folks who are attempting to create a Co-op Mod for the game, but you were probably too busy trying to prove your totally lame point...,
    To actually check that out in the forums.

Have a lovely day.
    smh
  • MysticFoxMysticFox United States Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235490Members
    edited January 2018
    this is mostly a review post about the game its also same review i gave on steam as well. The game is such a beautiful yet sad game, now dont get me wrong i love this game a lot, its very beautiful, and despite it not having multiplayer its guarantee that people are gonna buy it and play it, purely for the first experience, the story and creation content. when i do mean sad though after while going into the story understanding whats going it has this very sad undertone, then the game play as single player you almost feel the shackles of loneliness hold you down, it amost made me feel that if there isnt single player then there needs to be even more interactive things going on, i did enjoy the cuddlefish update but then i started feel a bit like Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) from castaway. The game in my thoughts is probably one of the best games i have played in such a long while, yet also being so effective as to bring up so many emotions traveling and looking at all the biomes and life forms on this beautiful planet, it really brought out the side of me when i was younger and loved learning about the oceans and marine biology. The game though is a bit too effective in this almost needing the multiplayer content as a sense of relief and companionship, which makes sense do to the very nature were this game takes place and how it takes place, we humans are built on this instinctive need for social interacting, but in a way single player also makes sense for the story of the game being the lone survivor, its almost madding trying to think about multiplayer and the story being together, cause by making it single player they really do succeed in how the story is played, how this character is alone, finding out the mystery to what happen, while trying to survive. If there was a way add multiplayer i would make it very different, i would not add another human character for the second player but maybe a robotic drone controlled by second player with different/limited features maybe, use cuddlefish as a controllable second player character, i dont know but maybe the approach to multiplayer doesnt have to be the generic obvious way, maybe itself can be very unique. This is all really my thoughts and review of the game either way its an amazing game, with too me maybe limited features onto itself i did find myself questioning when the game fully comes out if im gonna play the story through again but thats left to be seen, and i'll be sure make another post and review about that experience itself in time.

P.S. I just saw a animated show called "The Deep" on netflix past month gotta say i felt like its vehicle and style was very similar to subnautica not so much so that there the same just all the little things though, playing the game and watching this series this month really made me feel like exploring the ocean. XD its a very neat show based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer, i very much enjoyed the series
  • bananakbonebananakbone Gun tower in Subnautica Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236167Members
    I love it, but at he same time I hate it, it is really scary. Graphics, sounds, and the story is AMAZING
  • bananakbonebananakbone Gun tower in Subnautica Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236167Members
    Like Jacksepticeye says "I love it to bits."
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Hey everyone,

How silly is that.

B)

Where ya been dude?

Subnautica hasn't been going to be a MMO/Co-op game for almost TWO YEARS now!!

The point is... Get Over It.

Also, just so yer whine isn't completely without "cheese"...

There's a few folks who are attempting to create a Co-op Mod for the game, but you were probably too busy trying to prove your totally lame point...,
    To actually check that out in the forums.

Have a lovely day.
    smh

No B) emoji?
    smh your better than this
    MysticFox wrote: »
    this is mostly a review post about the game its also same review i gave on steam as well. The game is such a beautiful yet sad game, now dont get me wrong i love this game a lot, its very beautiful, and despite it not having multiplayer its guarantee that people are gonna buy it and play it, purely for the first experience, the story and creation content. when i do mean sad though after while going into the story understanding whats going it has this very sad undertone, then the game play as single player you almost feel the shackles of loneliness hold you down, it amost made me feel that if there isnt single player then there needs to be even more interactive things going on, i did enjoy the cuddlefish update but then i started feel a bit like Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) from castaway. The game in my thoughts is probably one of the best games i have played in such a long while, yet also being so effective as to bring up so many emotions traveling and looking at all the biomes and life forms on this beautiful planet, it really brought out the side of me when i was younger and loved learning about the oceans and marine biology. The game though is a bit too effective in this almost needing the multiplayer content as a sense of relief and companionship, which makes sense do to the very nature were this game takes place and how it takes place, we humans are built on this instinctive need for social interacting, but in a way single player also makes sense for the story of the game being the lone survivor, its almost madding trying to think about multiplayer and the story being together, cause by making it single player they really do succeed in how the story is played, how this character is alone, finding out the mystery to what happen, while trying to survive. If there was a way add multiplayer i would make it very different, i would not add another human character for the second player but maybe a robotic drone controlled by second player with different/limited features maybe, use cuddlefish as a controllable second player character, i dont know but maybe the approach to multiplayer doesnt have to be the generic obvious way, maybe itself can be very unique. This is all really my thoughts and review of the game either way its an amazing game, with too me maybe limited features onto itself i did find myself questioning when the game fully comes out if im gonna play the story through again but thats left to be seen, and i'll be sure make another post and review about that experience itself in time.

P.S. I just saw a animated show called "The Deep" on netflix past month gotta say i felt like its vehicle and style was very similar to subnautica not so much so that there the same just all the little things though, playing the game and watching this series this month really made me feel like exploring the ocean. XD its a very neat show based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer, i very much enjoyed the series

Please. Use. A. Period. This. Really. Pains. Me. To. Read.
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    Well heres hoping for a mod or maybe a co-op DLC? I really really want to experience this with my best firend. We love playing games like Terraria and Starbound together. This is an amazing experience and I feel it would be even better with just one other person!

Sad news but maybe the sequel or prequel will allow MP? I hate MMOs. They never really deliver; they have to knock down graphic fidelity and immersion is terrible. But games that allow just 2 players or maybe 4 like old Diablo are simply awesome!

I am looking forward to finishing this game and then getting the DLC when that comes. But please for the love of gaming start planning ti have co-op in the next iteration! This world, idea and universe is screaming for it!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    SickSix wrote: »
    Sad news but maybe the sequel or prequel will allow MP?
    !

cough Natural Selection 1 & 2 cough
  • ASeaofBloodRedRosesASeaofBloodRedRoses Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236330Members
    edited January 2018
    Okay... I don't usually ask this, but...

What about now?

The wording of this post makes it sound like it may be something to consider post-launch.
    I wouldn't expect you to add it pre-launch. That WOULD add a lot of time, and the experience you are seeking excludes multiplayer.
    I'm talking more about coop - three people, tops. And I say three and not two because of the Cyclops's flavour text.
    I feel like this game needs coop.

I totally get it if you're still set on no. Completely. I LOVE the game as-is. Hell, Subnautica hit that sweet spot that VERY few games have ever hit before with me. Exactly what I crave in a gaming experience. If you made another underwater survival game, even one less story-based and more focused on a massive map, bigger subs (like minecraft is... very little story, mainly survival), I would buy it instantly. No questions asked.

But at the same time.
    If you add coop in as an expansion pack, or even as a separate game (Don't Starve, Don't Starve Together), it would also mean more sales for you.
    There is a practical reason to doing it.
    The way your post is worded IS quite ambiguous - you say that adding multiplayer will delay launch day. But launch day has passed. It's not an issue anymore.

There are two things that would make this game perfect.

1. Playing with someone.
    2. GIVE ME MORE. BIGGER MAP. BIGGER SUBS. BIGGER FISH (LIKE 10X BIGGER THAN WHAT WE GOT).

You have given us so much, all that's left for me to ask is for more. Do what you guys do, and make this amazing, incredible game. Make more of it.
    If you choose not to make multiplayer/coop, I completely understand.
    If you do, I will literally be running to my computer to buy it.
    Ignore the people who are asking for refunds, saying they felt cheated. These are the same kinds of people who will ask for a refund because the latest Legend of Zelda game wasn't multiplayer, despite Four Swords being multiplayer. Regardless of your decisions, I will be eagerly anticipating any and all future updates and game launches in the future (please make more underwater stuff!!!).

PS: Some suggestions for if you ever DID add coop. Because maybe you will, but mainly because I want to share some neat ideas.

Radios. Make it so that unless someone is at a radio or broadcaster or something, they can't contact others. Maybe they'll have the ability to turn on or off remote base beacons (not the ones you place, but locators - is someone alive in there beacons) of some sort. Sure, people can Discord around this, but for people who want immersion with another player... there you have it. The seamoth could have a radio upgrade slot (specifically radio - it wouldn't take up a slot in the upgrades).

A way to access to Cyclops's cameras when not at the helm (I actually really want this in single player by the way). Meaning one person could be managing cameras and checking hull integrity (a relay, someone to let the helmsman know where to go, and to let a third person know where the damages are), one person to be the helmsman, and one engineer taking care of damages and managing torpedoes. One of these people, likely the relay person, or engineer in non-combat situations, would also be diving or going out in the equipped submersible vehicle - or even both of them. One person collecting a resource and a second watching over them to make sure they get back safely.

A second lifepod spawning for that person. Maybe someone who was released earlier but floated in space until debris hit them down, and their lifepod kept them alive. You'd have to find a way to explain their lack of need for food or water... Maybe an old Degasi survivor that the others thought to be dead, or maybe a second survivor from the Aurora who was launched out to a floating island near the volcano, but something happened and they couldn't stay, meaning they swam for the nearest piece of land
    This would give you an excuse to use that female character model (which I want the option to use anyway), and provide story context. Adding a second lifepod and forcing coop to only be allowed in new games (so we wouldn't be able to use our current saves) would also be a viable method of explaining away the second person. Since we don't (as far as I know) have a reason/official confirmation for why two of the three Degasi survivors died and the third survived, maybe you could have two (or three, if that's an option) of them be playable after the destruction of their base. A return to the planet is also possible - greedy capitalist people decide "hey, what if we went there for that sweet, sweet, advanced technology", despite the warnings about the dangers and contaminations on the planet. Maybe they only send a couple of people, or maybe a new big fish (BIG!!!) comes along and snaps the underwater submarine they crafted specifically for this mission in half. So most people would die except for 2. And that big fish would be the next piece of the story - what the fuck is it and WHY DID IT EAT OUT BOAT???

In general, a bigger sub would be great too. Doesn't need to be bigger, but something with the ability to dock multiple seamoths/prawnsuits would be neat. Making the multiplayer aspect a bit more... multiplayer. It would need to be less mobile than the cyclops though. Not even bigger, just slower, awkard shape, etc. The cyclops would be a mobile base, yes, but this would be a mobile hub. You don't drive this thing, you park it on week-long missions while hunting for resources. I'm talking massive storage, but no real "hey, let's go for a drive" aspect.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Okay... I don't usually ask this, but...

What about now?

The wording of this post makes it sound like it may be something to consider post-launch.
    I wouldn't expect you to add it pre-launch. That WOULD add a lot of time, and the experience you are seeking excludes multiplayer.
    I'm talking more about coop - three people, tops. And I say three and not two because of the Cyclops's flavour text.
    I feel like this game needs coop.

I totally get it if you're still set on no. Completely. I LOVE the game as-is. Hell, Subnautica hit that sweet spot that VERY few games have ever hit before with me. Exactly what I crave in a gaming experience. If you made another underwater survival game, even one less story-based and more focused on a massive map, bigger subs (like minecraft is... very little story, mainly survival), I would buy it instantly. No questions asked.

But at the same time.
    If you add coop in as an expansion pack, or even as a separate game (Don't Starve, Don't Starve Together), it would also mean more sales for you.
    There is a practical reason to doing it.
    The way your post is worded IS quite ambiguous - you say that adding multiplayer will delay launch day. But launch day has passed. It's not an issue anymore.

There are two things that would make this game perfect.

1. Playing with someone.
    2. GIVE ME MORE. BIGGER MAP. BIGGER SUBS. BIGGER FISH (LIKE 10X BIGGER THAN WHAT WE GOT).

You have given us so much, all that's left for me to ask is for more. Do what you guys do, and make this amazing, incredible game. Make more of it.
    If you choose not to make multiplayer/coop, I completely understand.
    If you do, I will literally be running to my computer to buy it.

They said after the expansion is done (no, that will not have multiplayer) they are moving on to other things
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    Until we reach a point where they consider another DLC or a direct sequel/prequel, we have to accept that a mod is our only hope.
  • MysticFoxMysticFox United States Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235490Members
    Not sure why cant edit but here's a revised edit of a post since someone wanted a proofread-ed version with correct punctuation. XD

So ok all this is mostly a review post about the game it's also the same review I gave on steam as well. The game is such a beautiful yet sad game, now don't get me wrong I love this game a lot, its very beautiful, and despite it not having multiplayer its guarantee that people are going to buy it and play it, purely for the first experience, the story, and creating content. When I do mean sad though after while going into the story understanding whats going it has this somber undertone, the gameplay as single player you almost feel the shackles of loneliness hold you down, it almost made me think that if there isn't single player then there need to be even more interactive things going on. I did enjoy the cuddlefish update, but then I started to feel a bit like Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) from castaway.

The game in my thoughts is probably one of the best games I have played in such a long while, yet also so compelling as to bring up so many emotions traveling and looking at all the biomes and life forms on this beautiful planet, it really brought out the side of me when I was younger and loved learning about the oceans and marine biology. The game though is a bit too effective in this almost needing the multiplayer content as a sense of relief and companionship, which makes sense due to the very nature were this game takes place and how it takes place.

We, humans, are built on this instinctive need for social interaction ut in a way single player also makes sense for the story of the game being the lone survivor, its almost madding trying to think about multiplayer and the story being together, cause by making it single player they really do succeed in how the story is played. How this character is alone, finding out the mystery of what happens while trying to survive. I think there was a way to add multiplayer I would make it very different. I would not add another human character for the second player but maybe a robotic drone controlled by the second player with different/limited features maybe, use cuttlefish as a controllable second player character, I don't know, but perhaps the approach to multiplayer doesn't have to be the obvious generic way?

This again is all my thoughts on the game, either way, i think its a fantastic game! I honestly believe with all the limited features of the game, and I do find myself questioning when the game entirely comes out if I'm going to play the story through again but that's left to be seen, and I'll be sure making another post and review about that experience itself in time.

P.S. I just saw a animated show called "The Deep" on Netflix past month gotta say I felt like its vehicle and style was very similar to subnautica not so much so that there the same just all the little things though, playing the game and watching this series this month really made me feel like exploring the ocean. XD its an elegant show based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer, I very much enjoyed the series!
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    MysticFox wrote: »
    Not sure why cant edit but here's a revised edit of a post since someone wanted a proofread-ed version with correct punctuation. XD

So ok all this is mostly a review post about the game it's also the same review I gave on steam as well. The game is such a beautiful yet sad game, now don't get me wrong I love this game a lot, its very beautiful, and despite it not having multiplayer its guarantee that people are going to buy it and play it, purely for the first experience, the story, and creating content. When I do mean sad though after while going into the story understanding whats going it has this somber undertone, the gameplay as single player you almost feel the shackles of loneliness hold you down, it almost made me think that if there isn't single player then there need to be even more interactive things going on. I did enjoy the cuddlefish update, but then I started to feel a bit like Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) from castaway.

The game in my thoughts is probably one of the best games I have played in such a long while, yet also so compelling as to bring up so many emotions traveling and looking at all the biomes and life forms on this beautiful planet, it really brought out the side of me when I was younger and loved learning about the oceans and marine biology. The game though is a bit too effective in this almost needing the multiplayer content as a sense of relief and companionship, which makes sense due to the very nature were this game takes place and how it takes place.

We, humans, are built on this instinctive need for social interaction ut in a way single player also makes sense for the story of the game being the lone survivor, its almost madding trying to think about multiplayer and the story being together, cause by making it single player they really do succeed in how the story is played. How this character is alone, finding out the mystery of what happens while trying to survive. I think there was a way to add multiplayer I would make it very different. I would not add another human character for the second player but maybe a robotic drone controlled by the second player with different/limited features maybe, use cuttlefish as a controllable second player character, I don't know, but perhaps the approach to multiplayer doesn't have to be the obvious generic way?

This again is all my thoughts on the game, either way, i think its a fantastic game! I honestly believe with all the limited features of the game, and I do find myself questioning when the game entirely comes out if I'm going to play the story through again but that's left to be seen, and I'll be sure making another post and review about that experience itself in time.

P.S. I just saw a animated show called "The Deep" on Netflix past month gotta say I felt like its vehicle and style was very similar to subnautica not so much so that there the same just all the little things though, playing the game and watching this series this month really made me feel like exploring the ocean. XD its an elegant show based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer, I very much enjoyed the series!

There is a small gear icon next to your post that should allow you to edit. Not sure what to do if it doesn’t work though.
  • BeardedWarriorBeardedWarrior United States Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236468Members
    I'm with the devs on this one. While I would love to play this with my friends, the atmosphere they're going for is one of loneliness in a seeming-paradise. It's that Robison Crusoe, Cast-Away-with-Tom-Hanks, volley-ball-as-my-only-companion thing. When it's just me by myself, I tend to focus in more on the lore of the world I'm exploring and enjoy the exploration more. With friends, it'd become more sandbox play, building bases and shooting torpedoes at each other. It sort of breaks the purpose of the game.

That said, I am giddy with excitement over the prospect (described in the OP) of these guys building a co-op "Subnautica" game in the same vein but with a focus on that base-building sandboxy sort of gameplay instead of the storyline they've put in place in this one.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @MysticFox @ShuttleBug I believe the edit function is locked for anti-spambot reasons, until you have been a member a certain amount of time and made a certain number of posts(15 posts, iirc, don't know time).
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2018
    narfblat wrote: »
    @MysticFox @ShuttleBug I believe the edit function is locked for anti-spambot reasons, until you have been a member a certain amount of time and made a certain number of posts(15 posts, iirc, don't know time).

30 Days & 15 Posts
    B)
  • HumbleSageHumbleSage United States Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237023Members
    I really wish this had multiplayer. This would make things more fun especially late game. I'd be happy with everything the way it is. Seriously. Just add the backend networking and multiplayer then drop their character in next to me. If it's a resource issue, limit the number of in game people to 4 max. (I came up with 4 because the cyclops is usually a 3-man vehicle, and why not have a Seamoth fighter escort? :smile:) They can build their own vehicles. Just make the characters pass-thru so they could share the cyclops, base, and hard to fit areas and it would be golden. Less work, more fun, and I'm sure more would buy it.

I'd also like to say I've been waiting for a great game like this. Excellent work. Oh! and the only thing I would suggest is a faster way to move resources between containers. Like a Left CTRL-Click and Left-Mouse-Click on an item in a container that automatically swaps whatever you are hovered over to the opposite container, in the event space is less on the recieving side just grab what you can to fill.

Thanks, and keep up the great work! :smile:
  • NiohoggrNiohoggr Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237453Members
    HumbleSage wrote: »
    I really wish this had multiplayer. This would make things more fun especially late game. I'd be happy with everything the way it is. Seriously. Just add the backend networking and multiplayer then drop their character in next to me. If it's a resource issue, limit the number of in game people to 4 max. (I came up with 4 because the cyclops is usually a 3-man vehicle, and why not have a Seamoth fighter escort? :smile:) They can build their own vehicles. Just make the characters pass-thru so they could share the cyclops, base, and hard to fit areas and it would be golden. Less work, more fun, and I'm sure more would buy it.

I'd also like to say I've been waiting for a great game like this. Excellent work. Oh! and the only thing I would suggest is a faster way to move resources between containers. Like a Left CTRL-Click and Left-Mouse-Click on an item in a container that automatically swaps whatever you are hovered over to the opposite container, in the event space is less on the recieving side just grab what you can to fill.

Thanks, and keep up the great work! :smile:

This. The game SCREAMS for multiplayer, which would make it infinitely better, especially with the cyclops. Just bare-bones multiplayer - co-op, 3-4 players max - would be plenty. Please consider it, because as is, it is a missed opportunity.
  • ZariaM8ZariaM8 A place Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237473Members
    You support the Nitrox mod, just do it and get it over with. You people (the devs) literally have nothing to lose.

Also renew the discord invite i need back in
  • PeppenjakPeppenjak Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237772Members
    First of all congrats to everyone for this game development... one of the best games i've ever played....
    second of all i hope for a co-op gameplay, this game was presented to me by a really good friend and we spend some time playing this game, we both bought the game... so we can't add mods to the game and its very sad this situation, in my analysis maybe u'll loose this opportunity to make this game even better, and eventually u'll loose some costumers, and they'll download the game illegally and install a co-op mode to play with some friend...
    possibly the developers will get sad and revolted for the game being explored by ''mod'' developers and then their motivation will drop....
    i'm crossing fingers for you because you really deserve the success.
    Hope you read this
    Fábio Lima (Peppenjak)

Hey everyone,

• redheadplayaredheadplaya 5045 habersham hills drive Join Date: 2017-09-13 Member: 232986Members
    maybe it could be for expansion pack?????