Eye Candy Update Released - Subnautica

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Obraxis wrote: »
    moultano wrote: »
    Tried a new game with everything on. I felt pretty good about all the effects except chromatic aberration. That one just gave me a headache. I have no idea what it's for.

Chromatic Aberration happens when using a lot of Dive Masks IRL, this is why it is an option.

It is also applied to the inside of the goggles though, how does that work :tongue:
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    BFCrusader wrote: »
    I hope this includes the bug of seeing the Aurora wreck from many miles away underwater and other bugs of its like.
    Apparently not. I still saw it even while visiting the wrecked research station in the Lost River.

But the rest of the update is amazing. I think I've finally resolved my crash issue and can get back to playing seriously again. The new graphics certainly make that an entertaining prospect.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    Nearly all of these graphics upgrades are just post-processing effects that I could implement with some random injector (and half of them make the game look worse), so this post shouldn't sound like it's much of an accomplishment.

Your point?

Who cares what you could do with an injector? What matters is that they've implemented into the game, rather than having to use a separate program to brighten a few colors. Sure, that doesn't mean that all of the options are good, but it shows that they're still working on making the game better.

And, like @0x6A7232 pointed out, there are 250+ bugs that have been squashed in this update. That's pretty impressive all things considered. All that's left is fixing the poor pop-in, and the Rocket.

Don't so blindly snub on a minor update.

My point is obvious, tho your blind obsession with the game is clearly why you don't see it.

I was critical of the post for acting like significant leaps in graphics were made, when a damn 10 year old could implement such changes.
    "Get those eyeballs ready, Subnautica has received a massive graphics overhaul. This is the Eye Candy Update: Subnautica has never looked so good."
    ^^ Sure...

But yeah, keep praising UWE senpai.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2017
    Those damn 10 year olds!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2017
    Oh geez. Here we go. If you're going to say "anybody can do that" please at least tell us you've actually done it (and no, not with something like SweetFX / ReShade, where OTHER devs have freely poured countless hours of THEIR SPARE TIME and expertise to allow you to "accomplish" this feat in seconds with 5 mouse clicks. Let's be real here.)
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited December 2017
    "Get those eyeballs ready, Subnautica has received a massive graphics overhaul. This is the Eye Candy Update: Subnautica has never looked so good."
    ^^ Sure...

But yeah, keep praising UWE senpai.

Actually it never looked that good. Besides the "eye candy" options and tons of bugs fixed, performance was greatly optimized. Even if you turn all graphical options off, the game will look better to you, either because of fps increase, or because now you can increase quality a little and play viably (not all people have powerful computers, there are far more consumers with low end graphic cards from 2-3 gen ago than there are with current high end).

Stop being so overcritic about other people achievements.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    My point is obvious, tho your blind obsession with the game is clearly why you don't see it.

I was critical of the post for acting like significant leaps in graphics were made, when a damn 10 year old could implement such changes."

A ten year old can install software that's been in development for almost 3 years by multiple developers. You aren't seeing it. Using an injector vs native is a huge performance hit for me and can even bring Minecraft to a crawl.
    edited December 2017
    @coolitic : Allow me to quote myself from another thread; plz 2 click the image below:

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    click the picture for an interestingly detailed breakdown:

2czaa9t.jpg

edited December 2017

I was critical of the post for acting like significant leaps in graphics were made, when a damn 10 year old could implement such changes."

A ten year old can install software that's been in development for almost 3 years by multiple developers. You aren't seeing it. Using an injector vs native is a huge performance hit for me and can even bring Minecraft to a crawl.

A post-process injector doesnt use much performance in *any* game unless you're using fx like AO/GI, and an FPS increase is not a graphics overhaul (but is ofc commendable).
    OK:

1) You're in feature-lock. No more new in-game tech or biomes etc, only polishing what's there
    2) Since you're in feature lock, now come up with a way to make a showcase video for your... FPS improvements?! Bug fixes!?

I take it you would prefer if they just silently updated it and didn't bother telling anyone they'd added new post-processing features?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    A post-process injector doesnt use much performance in *any* game unless you're using fx like AO/GI, and an FPS increase is not a graphics overhaul (but is ofc commendable).

It may very well be an "overhaul" on the graphics side (and probably is). If you check the definition for overhaul (e.g. merriam-webster and Farlex free dic) you'll see that it mostly relates to thoroughly revising and fixing something. As game performance may relate directly to "graphics" (particularly those relating to fps), overhauling this part of the game will certainly have an impact on performance even if one can't visually discern any changes in said game.
  • CmdrGoodDeathCmdrGoodDeath Texas Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231928Members
    Woo Hoo! Nice job devs! The game looks so good now. I've been holding off on my play through and plan on doing so until the you guys totally through. You are making it hard on me.
  • Willyman1112Willyman1112 Rochester MN Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230698Members
    There seems to be a bug with the filmic graphics on xbox one, after a while the screen gradually filled with black squares and purplish layers until it went pure black, had to go back into settings and switch it off and on again, but if the bug becomes a regularity, it may become annoying to have to change the settings every time.
    There seems to be a bug with the filmic graphics on xbox one, after a while the screen gradually filled with black squares and purplish layers until it went pure black, had to go back into settings and switch it off and on again, but if the bug becomes a regularity, it may become annoying to have to change the settings every time.

Might wanna start a new bug topic in Bug Reporting.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I see @coolitic has transitioned from NS2 to the Subnautica community with enthusiasm. Welcome.

I'm detecting a level of sarcasm that has nary been reached by a game developer. ;)
    OK:

1) You're in feature-lock. No more new in-game tech or biomes etc, only polishing what's there
    2) Since you're in feature lock, now come up with a way to make a showcase video for your... FPS improvements?! Bug fixes!?

I take it you would prefer if they just silently updated it and didn't bother telling anyone they'd added new post-processing features?

Your attempts to dodge my points are cute honestly. I will say it one last time, as clearly, and as simply, as I can, so that you cannot possibly twist it:

Post-processing fx != gfx overhaul by any margin, the original post should stop getting ahead of itself.
    @Obraxis , I mostly just watch from the sidelines, game has looked promising throughout development. Inb4 som1 mods in a multiplayer mode because why not.
    edited December 2017
    @Obraxis , I mostly just watch from the sidelines, game has looked promising throughout development. Inb4 som1 mods in a multiplayer mode because why not.

U a slow swimmer, m8?

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152087/multiplayer-mod-update

Ok so it's not finished yet, but it's working (early alpha / beta, they aren't interested in playtesters just yet, only coders wanting to contribute... I'm sure you as an enterprising more than 10-year old should be able to work some real magic there. BTW, the installation instructions are left perfectly vague. Again, not a problem for an enterprising more than 10-year old. ;) )

Hmm. It's Christmas. Maybe I should stop being so Grinchy... *attempts to crack a smile* Truce?

EDIT: I think the problem here is you're thinking from code-side, instead of user-side. You can't treat things the way they are actually, behind the curtain. From the player perspective, it's a darned graphics overhaul. Code-side, maybe not so much (although I think you're severely underestimating the amount of effort it takes to do anything code-side.)

EDIT2: To illustrate my point, a link from my signature: Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    I turned on all the things and have to say I don't notice anything looking ugly. I did get some delayed pop in under the caves near the tree but only after being on for a long time.

I didn't even notice any slowdown.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    edited December 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I kinda expect water droplets on your goggles while were at it :D

You put whale oil* or spit on your mask to keep that from happening. I don't know what the professional masks have on them (See avatar). I don't recall having to put anything on them and didn't have any droplets to speak of when exiting the water. Then again, that was 27 years ago.

* whale oil is just the name, it isn't actually oil from rendering whales anymore.
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    BDelacroix wrote: »

You put whale oil* or spit on your mask to keep that from happening. I don't know what the professional masks have on them (See avatar). I don't recall having to put anything on them and didn't have any droplets to speak of when exiting the water. Then again, that was 27 years ago.

* whale oil is just the name, it isn't actually oil from rendering whales anymore.
    I only recall using spit on the inside of the mask to prevent fogging, water droplets on the outside (when "...exiting the water") are usually not a problem while diving (and can easily be wiped off if you prefer to walk around on land with you mask on...) ;)
    Warvis wrote: »

I only recall using spit on the inside of the mask to prevent fogging, water droplets on the outside (when "...exiting the water") are usually not a problem while diving (and can easily be wiped off if you prefer to walk around on land with you mask on...) ;)

Rain-X
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members

Rain-X
    Maybe we can have something more like these - no idea if they work with ion batteries, but they also have lights built-in!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff

Rain-X
    Maybe we can have something more like these - no idea if they work with ion batteries, but they also have lights built-in!

It does say it takes "2 Nonstandard Battery batteries" - are ion batteries a type of Nonstandard Battery battery? (Also note, those are in completely the wrong catergory, and feature list mentions batteries twice.)
  • zzagickzzagick Join Date: 2017-11-12 Member: 233958Members
    add the rock puncher
    and why did you get rid of the rock puncher
    also can you add the rocket