Eye Candy Update Released - Subnautica

Comments

• chewbonechewbone Join Date: 2017-12-08 Member: 234308Members
    Aren't we supposed to be experiencing the world as if we were there, and not simulating all of the negative effects of using camera lenses? Adding chromatic aberration, lens flair, bloom, and depth of field seems very counter-intuitive. I'd rather feel like I was really there instead of watching a poorly produced movie of it. If you want to simulate murky water, that's fine, but good grief. What were you thinking?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    cwsumner wrote: »
    Warvis wrote: »
    chromatic abberation : Let's get the hate out of the way, first: Chromatic abberation in games is a totally idiotic (pardon me) effect (especially for 1st-person views) and the bored shader programmer who once came up with it will probably burn in hell, most likely also for the crime of inventing "vignetting". I guess it has become a "must have" for game visuals these days, but tbh. I'd rather see it used selectively where it makes sense, i.e. only when viewing through the scanner-drone's camera's cheap lenses, instead of with the FPS-view. ...

Agree with that, the camera effects break immersion when you are supposedly looking through your own eyes! I understand that you might need them for "bennie points", just make sure they can be disabled (except for the drone cameras where they make sense). :-)

SCUBA Mask??
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Tried a new game with everything on. I felt pretty good about all the effects except chromatic aberration. That one just gave me a headache. I have no idea what it's for.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    I just wanted to offer a quick "Good Job" For the devs. The scanner room was my favorite fix so far. The Prawn mining fix was an unexpected pleasant surprise. I look forward to testing the dive reel fix.

One question. Not to sound ungrateful, but any idea on how soon we might be able to access the Prawns storage compartment from inside the Moonpool, like we used to?

Outstanding job. Thanks for all your hard work.
  • lonelywolflonelywolf Sweden Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204737Members
    Great update, i only got some problems with my base after the update, got filled with small fishes and some places i couldnt walk becuase of some obstacle. So that was not so fun.
  • Jim444Jim444 Join Date: 2017-11-20 Member: 234049Members
    BFCrusader wrote: »
    I hope this includes the bug of seeing the Aurora wreck from many miles away underwater and other bugs of its like.

I decided to play subnautica on my own (I don't use Wiki/Spoliers) and I have been stuck for days because I did not find the last pieces of Cyclops. I had all Engine and all Bridge components, but something were still missing to unlock the Cyclops Bluperint. Yesterday after patch I also noticed the above mentioned graphic anomaly so I started to go there and check and I found the last pieces of Cyclops (3x Hull) during the trip so I very happy now because I unlocked the blueprint thanks to this bug/spoiler! :)

• EmmettTheDestroyerEmmettTheDestroyer Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226306Members
    Well then. Subnautica's turning graphics are like ARK on steriods
  • michaelmchurchmichaelmchurch Saudia Arabia Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222487Members
    Is this released on Xbox yet?
  • cwsumnercwsumner US Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234305Members
    A single piece of glass does not have that kind of aberration, it requires a multi-element lens. So not for eyes, but is for drones and maybe photographs. I think it is put in games mostly for "bragging factor".

By the way, Devs, the new ocean surface waves are not right. They look like ripples in a pool or tub where the waves rebound repeatedly from hard sides. It makes the ocean look all wrong, and for someone raised on boats it can cause nausea that is different from sea-sickness. Word-to-the-wise...
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Waves vary drastically from place to place in the ocean. There are spots that produce square waves and it is awesome (although one can hardly tell unless they have an elevated POV).
    It would feel much better if it looked like realistic swell though, but we spend so little time on the surface...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    Nearly all of these graphics upgrades are just post-processing effects that I could implement with some random injector (and half of them make the game look worse), so this post shouldn't sound like it's much of an accomplishment.

It helps if you actually read the entire post before using your keyboard:
    Eye Candy isn’t just a pretty face. This update contains a disgusting quantity of bug fixes – Over 250 at last count. In particular, we think we have solved the perennial and infamous drifting lifepod problem.

Bet you could do that with a nifty injector, too, huh? /salt

I said *most*, didn't I? And bugfixes don't really qualify as graphics improvements. Don't so blindly defend your precious game.
  • CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    edited December 2017
    Skope wrote: »
    Nearly all of these graphics upgrades are just post-processing effects that I could implement with some random injector (and half of them make the game look worse), so this post shouldn't sound like it's much of an accomplishment.

Your point?

Who cares what you could do with an injector? What matters is that they've implemented into the game, rather than having to use a separate program to brighten a few colors. Sure, that doesn't mean that all of the options are good, but it shows that they're still working on making the game better.

And, like @0x6A7232 pointed out, there are 250+ bugs that have been squashed in this update. That's pretty impressive all things considered. All that's left is fixing the poor pop-in, and the Rocket.

Don't so blindly snub on a minor update.

Exactly! I felt the same about people who bashed Skyrim: Special Edition solely on the reasoning that "we already had mods for that". So? Now you have it in the base game, and it performs BETTER than your modded version.
    Not gonna say there aren't things to dislike about Special Edition, but my point is, why shouldn't devs add a feature just because it can be modded in? That would be incredibly lazy.
    At that point you might as well not make the game at all, because you can just turn it into a mod for another game.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    chewbone wrote: »
    Aren't we supposed to be experiencing the world as if we were there, and not simulating all of the negative effects of using camera lenses? Adding chromatic aberration, lens flair, bloom, and depth of field seems very counter-intuitive. I'd rather feel like I was really there instead of watching a poorly produced movie of it. If you want to simulate murky water, that's fine, but good grief. What were you thinking?

Yeah I said it in another thread. Aside from cinematic purposes no game needs any blur effects to mimic reality. We are supposed to be in there and we are focusing and unfocusing with our own eyes already. Right now your crosshair might be on sand and that will be sharp and focused, while your actual eyes are on the bone shark coming towards you, which will now be blurry. It is really counterintuitive.

However the bugfixes are very welcome, and some graphic options I even might find useful.
  • dexxfmdexxfm Join Date: 2017-12-05 Member: 234245Members
    I happen to like the graphical overhaul. At least you can turn it off for the most part, if you don't like it. Better to have options than none at all!
  • JorcobusJorcobus US Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234340Members
    Man, does this game keep getting better. Now, could you imagine what an HDR update would do? HDR would make the colors pop, and enhance the specular highlights from the glow in the dark creatures. If any game needed it, this game would be in my top Ten!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Jorcobus wrote: »
    Man, does this game keep getting better. Now, could you imagine what an HDR update would do? HDR would make the colors pop, and enhance the specular highlights from the glow in the dark creatures. If any game needed it, this game would be in my top Ten!

What are your number 1-9 than :tongue:
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Jorcobus wrote: »
    hdr-output.jpg
    I think filmic mode does this, but I'm not sure. And I think that the game is already colorful enough as is, but it'd still be nice to have.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Maybe some of us want to play with a few post-processing effects without trying to figure out how to lay them over every second of gameplay?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I usually hate HDR effects when they go way overboard with the saturation and brightness&contrast, which tends to be THE trend

HDR done properly can look amazing and properly is hard to achieve in real time
  • ShadrissShadriss Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230205Members
    I'll just tack on about the Chromatic Aberration - the ONLY new graphical feature I had to turn off. All the other additions/fixes are great, and I do hope there will be additional color gradients to come.

About the only thing I have (atm) to complain about is that fish are still showing up inside bases randomly. Not really a problem per-se, but *I* sure didn't let them in.
    edited December 2017
    Shadriss wrote: »
    About the only thing I have (atm) to complain about is that fish are still showing up inside bases randomly. Not really a problem per-se, but *I* sure didn't let them in.
    Are you absolutely sure about that, I mean we are infected with the Carar Bacterium and are hearing voices from the deep :tongue:
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited December 2017
    moultano wrote: »
    Tried a new game with everything on. I felt pretty good about all the effects except chromatic aberration. That one just gave me a headache. I have no idea what it's for.

You ever see rainbow edging on objects. That's Chromatic Aberration.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Chromatic Aberration happens when using a lot of Dive Masks IRL, this is why it is an option.
    Obraxis wrote: »

Chromatic Aberration happens when using a lot of Dive Masks IRL, this is why it is an option.

I suspected that was the reason. (Haven't gone diving to experience it for myself, but it made sense.)
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    edited December 2017
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not used that way: It's presented as an effect of the avatar's (or your own, if you prefer) vision, regardless if they're looking through a medium that may actually cause a refraction of this kind (cam lenses, water/air separation) or if they're in their habitat, vehicle or on an island (where naturally no refraction occurs, goggles on or not).
    Using chromatic aberration as a generic post-processing effect often leads to a "watching your avatar through a camera"-perception, undermining immersion instead of enhancing it.

Given that it is completely optional, it's not an issue to fight over. I see it more like a missed opportunity to use the effect where it makes sense, instead of just as an unrealistic slap-on postprocessing like anywhere else.
    I kinda expect water droplets on your goggles while were at it :D
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I kinda expect water droplets on your goggles while were at it :D

That drip off when you exit the water, much like the sound effect when you enter your base. Yes, please!
  • creepjaxcreepjax michigan Join Date: 2017-10-04 Member: 233388Members
    novalogic wrote: »
    "Eye candy" would have been fixing the blurry image to be clear, not making the clear blurry. The trailer alone is hard on the eyes, imagine playing with that blur for an hour. Headache for a week and glasses for life after that.

You can turn the shake effect off in settings if you don’t want it the shaking when you turn seems more realistic