Will the "corrupted" databank entry ever be adjusted or addressed?

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
When playing through the world in Subnautica, you come across lost PDAs from other crew members, Alien Terminals from key points of interest, and Data Terminals from certain parts of the Aurora. In particular, there is a database entry from a Wreck near Lifepod 17. This one is of particular interest (and annoyance) as it doesn't have any practical technical data, universe lore or anything of interest from before. I'm of course talking about the terminal from the lower level of the wreck, the one with the lit display in the otherwise powerless section of the ship:

F1B0567B8D00E5E5AEBFF5B622863C1538D25B7F

This particular file has probably been this way long before now, but I've found very little information online regarding why it's there. It's time to solve the mystery of this perplexing dilemma!

Is the data corrupted or damaged due to the crash? Not likely, as other Data Terminals found on the Aurora are fully functional and their information is intact - in fact the Data Terminal in the Medical Bay detects corrupted files on your PDA and corrects them (aka adds another Blueprint) but this entry stays unchanged. Could it be then that it only affects Terminals from Wrecks seperated from the Aurora? That's an unlikely possibilty, as at least one Terminal from a Wreck on the Underwater Islands has all of its data intact as well.

Could it be some form of a cipher to protect sensitive data? Perhaps someone on the Aurora was trying to smuggle intel to another person or party (perhaps another Corporation?) and didn't want to risk getting caught... After all, Alterra has eyes everywhere and have been known to record people's conversations without their knowledge... or consent. But I've tried various cipher and decryption tools online, and really it just seems to be a jumble of letters in random patterns.

Could it then be an attempt to delete or destroy data by someone like the Warpers? I highly doubt that, since the Warpers mainly seem interested in destroying biological entities affected by Carar, and their scythe appendages seem unlikely able to access a human data-entry terminal. :lol: Not to mention the fact that Wreck never features a Warper, and every other Wreck with Warpers has intact Terminals/PDAs, they don't seem to be the culprits.

So then it boils down to this question: Why is it that ONE Data Terminal out of dozens of binary storage is the only one with a scrambled info entry? Is there some future story development for this, or is it a red herring from the developers? Could we get some input regarding why this is, or otherwise could the data entry be replaced with something more coherent? I like the idea of having "corrupted" data we gather that has to be defragmented up by the PDA to get proper entries, but this singular distraction is just too off-key. Can @Foxy or anyone check into this before 1.0 launches please? :)

P.S. (There is a subtle Star Trek: TNG reference embedded... can you find it?) :wink:

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited August 2017
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    If you are talking about Data & Lore ... ?
    That's not really what I'd call "subtle".

And you did use "Fully Functional" which is what Tasha drooled over about Data when she was drunk.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited August 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    If you are talking about Data & Lore ... ?
    That's not really what I'd call "subtle".

You win a cookie, even though the answer wasn't quite 100% correct. :cookie: Although truth be told, I will always hold the TV series as the best of the franchise. The movies were decent and entertaining, and I will hold "Star Trek: First Contact" as the best TNG movie ever made (It featured THE BORG! and had direct tie-in with Star Trek: Enterprise... which because of that means that even with the rebooted ST film franchise, the TNG crew still exist in the new continuity due to their interactions with Zephram Cochrane... gotta love timey-wimey time travel logic, lol.

Anyways, this was the answer I was striving for:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    This one is of particular interest (and annoyance) as it doesn't have any practical technical Data, universe Lore or anything of interest from B-4.

But for the other thing...
    And you did use "Fully Functional" which is what Tasha drooled over about Data when she was drunk.

Did I? Hmm... oh wow. I really didn't intend that at all... I kind of shoehorned in the Data/Lore/B-4 pun in on purpose, but I've discredited myself as a Star Trek fan for not even noticing what I wrote. I hereby pronounce your Star Trek-fu stronger than mine. @DaveyNY wins all of the cookies from now on! :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::blush:

But back to the original post, is there a reason for this crummy data entry? @Obraxis or @Foxy, any takers?
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    could be a cipher, could be corrupted data. I'll run it through every decode i can find in the next day. (I don't watch TNG. Kirk is much better. And Sisko. And Archer.)
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    I always took this as quality Alterra tech. Randomly breaks, for random reasons, at random times.

Who knew Alfa Romeo sponsored Alterra.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    could be a cipher, could be corrupted data. I'll run it through every decode i can find in the next day. (I don't watch TNG. Kirk is much better. And Sisko. And Archer.)

Kirk is much better than Picard? Are you insane? What are you smoking? And where can I get some? The only people who think Kirk is better than Picard are... single cell amoebas... And not even the single cell amoebas on planet earth. Only on some far distant alien planet that we have yet to discover. And when we *do* discover it, you can bet that we will annihilate that planet immediately.

Kirk is much better? Better than what? I can't think of anything. Maybe he is better than No Man's Sky. :-)
    garath wrote: »

Kirk is much better than Picard? Are you insane? What are you smoking? And where can I get some? The only people who think Kirk is better than Picard are... single cell amoebas... And not even the single cell amoebas on planet earth. Only on some far distant alien planet that we have yet to discover. And when we *do* discover it, you can bet that we will annihilate that planet immediately.

Kirk is much better? Better than what? I can't think of anything. Maybe he is better than No Man's Sky. :-)

In the star trek cookbook Kirk has A cold soup. And Picard has a lowly breakfast croissant! Hah! I shall not give in to your propaganda!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

In the star trek cookbook Kirk has A cold soup. And Picard has a lowly breakfast croissant! Hah! I shall not give in to your propaganda!

All I have to say is:
    Tea. Earl Gray, hot.

Shatner's acting was so bad that TOS only lasted three seasons whereas Stewart was so good TNG lasted seven seasons!

Oh. Forget I said that. I would never say the VG'r captain's acting was better than TOS. Scary.

On second though, erm, yeah, Shat rules! :)

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm really not the person to ping for stuff like this...
    edited August 2017
    Foxy wrote: »

Oh come on, I thought everybody around here was a Trek Fan in some way, shape or form...

< snicker >
    B)
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members

Oh come on, I thought everybody around here was a Trek Fan in some way, shape or form...

< snicker >
    B)

What's Star Trek?...
    JK

< snicker >
    B)

What's Star Trek?...
    JK

Why do you have an old style England police box for your avatar? Are you some sort of history buff?

:)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

< snicker >
    B)

What's Star Trek?...
    JK

Why do you have an old style England police box for your avatar? Are you some sort of history buff?

He's a doctor
    edited August 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »

< snicker >
    B)

What's Star Trek?...
    JK

He's a doctor

I'm actually a Pediatrician... ;)
    edited August 2017
    ... and I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

B)

j/k

Shatner's acting was so bad that TOS only lasted three seasons whereas Stewart was so good TNG lasted seven seasons!

Oh. Forget I said that. I would never say the VG'r captain's acting was better than TOS. Scary.

On second though, erm, yeah, Shat rules! :)

yes, finally, you admit it. kirk was only fired because of turnabout intruder. not his fault. I blatantly use bad grammar and do not capitalize.
    Was their ever a official answer to this?
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    It doesn't look like it, which is sad because I just came across it myself and was curious about why it's like that
  • dayofmonedayofmone Germany Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221078Members
    Was their ever a official answer to this?
    jeod wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it, which is sad because I just came across it myself and was curious about why it's like that

Well, it's been over two weeks since I posted this thread - there have been multiple Experimental updates and one Stable update to the game since then. We got a ping by Foxy at least, but no official response or even an explanation. I have to assume by now that it's truly a mistake, possibly by a developer who linked the wrong memory address and the "data entry" is instead just reading off bizarre text meant for programming code instead. This is similar to how the infamous "World -1" glitch in Super Mario Bros works: when performed the game tries to load level data from memory locations that are not meant to be loaded in this method. As such, the game exhibits strange behavior and operates in such a way that was not originally intended.

Since we've had no official word on whether this is intended behavior or not, and has not been fixed still in the last Stable update, I have to conclude by now that this entry is just a programming BUG. Hopefully it will be fixed before retail release, as this singular disappointing data entry among the dozens of useful and funny ones stands out glaringly as a programmer's oversight. :pensive:
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    It looks like it was made that way intentionally to me.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    edited August 2017
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2017

Try not to @ Devs over things like this.

But yes, this is clearly lore.
    Obraxis wrote: »

Try not to @ Devs over things like this.

But yes, this is clearly lore.

Hmm...

Thanks for the response, at least! :blush:

But if it has no practical use, can't be decoded and (as far as we know) has no bearing on the game at all... why is it there? :confounded:
    edited August 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Could it be some form of a cipher to protect sensitive data? Perhaps someone on the Aurora was trying to smuggle intel to another person or party (perhaps another Corporation?) and didn't want to risk getting caught... After all, Alterra has eyes everywhere and have been known to record people's conversations without their knowledge... or consent. But I've tried various cipher and decryption tools online, and really it just seems to be a jumble of letters in random patterns.

We discover the central Precursor "intelligence" is communicating with the Warpers giving them targeting coordinates for Curar infected individuals. The first "garbled" communication is one that we cannot decipher. Later, we have apparently deciphered the communications and see a message that is more clear.

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    That message doesn't look like it's from the precursors. It would have those weird squares if it was. To me it looks more like that message was from the Aurora and got corrupted.

It's completely possible that this wasn't ever intended to be anything. But the developer to ask about this would be TJ (the writer).
    edited August 2017
    Another fine example that proves our poor PDA, is a few data-points short of a complete circuit.
    B)