Subnautica on Project Scorpio?

ell635ell635 UK Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229642Members
Subnautica is a beautiful, stunning game - even on Xbox One! We do have a graphics underhaul and performance issues which are to be expected with the console limitations.

Although the developers will be enhancing the performance of the game, there's no denying that games console provide limitations compared to the processing power of the best PCs. Par for the course in gaming.

But there is Microsoft's next games console coming later this year - Project Scorpio - and it's looking pretty powerful!

My question is will Subnautica become available on Project Scorpio? I can imagine it might be too early to confirm this, but I thought I would ask here.

I would assume with Xbox One supporting Subnautica with Game Preview, there's a good chance it will become available on the latest platform.

Is there any information about this? Please discuss here :smile:

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    There will be no Scorpio exclusive games, any game released for Scorpio must also run on XB1, and visa versa, any XB1 game will run on Scorpio. Now, of course on Scorpio, they can make the game more beautiful and do other cool things, so we'll have to see about that, it's up to the developers.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/04/10/remember-xbox-scorpio-wont-have-any-exclusives-at-all/#9e288304519e
  • ell635ell635 UK Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229642Members
    It sounds like Subnautica has a good chance of being available on Scorpio then, or at least I hope so!

I'm sure there will be a point where games will be developed with Scorpio as the target platform. Of course there will also be an Xbox One supported version of the game too.

To look at it simply - it would be no different to the usual transition between console generations. Except this is a "mid-generation upgrade" so the previous platform (Xbox One) will continue to be supported with the same games and won't be phased out.

As for that Forbes article writer - I sense a very subjective opinion being badly suppressed. In an article that feels written purely with hopes to curb excitement, all the challenges and points made against Scorpio and especially it's upcoming marketing strategy also apply to PS4 Pro - but he holds Sony's platform in such high stead.

My thanks to you for sharing that article - the only thing I appreciated about that article was it somewhat answers my question.
    ell635 wrote: »
    the only thing I appreciated about that article was it somewhat answers my question.

You're welcome; that's why I linked it. ;)
  • Pirate_finPirate_fin Finland Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217797Members
    Scorpio should automatically run games better, so i hope that Subnautica would run smoothly on that :)

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/6/15204990/xbox-scorpio-backwards-compatibility-microsoft-xbox-one

"Games will run closer to their target frame rate with fewer dips, games with dynamic resolution scaling will be running at much higher resolutions, texture filtering will be improved, you’ll be able to capture video at 4K running at 60 frames per second and games will load faster."
  • NeomaveNeomave Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228277Members
    It sounds like Subnautica has a good chance of being available on Scorpio then, or at least I hope so!

I'm sure there will be a point where games will be developed with Scorpio as the target platform. Of course there will also be an Xbox One supported version of the game too.

To look at it simply - it would be no different to the usual transition between console generations. Except this is a "mid-generation upgrade" so the previous platform (Xbox One) will continue to be supported with the same games and won't be phased out.

Scorpio is the exact same platform and is simply just a more powerful Xbox One. Microsoft is 'done' with console generations altogether. They are going to maintain a family of Xbox devices that keeps your games and accessories instead of making them obsolete. Every X1 game since it launched and every BC title will work on Scorpio, and all future Xbox systems. In a few years when the launch X1 and PS4 stop getting developed for, MS will release the next high-end Xbox moving Scorpio to the bottom/mid-range console.

Nothing is getting left behind, everything will work going forward.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Subnautica should run on Scorpio, how well? We don't know, we don't have a Dev Kit so we cant tell. But likely better.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Scorpio has a more powerful GPU than my Radeon480x so that should be fine, the only question is the CPU, as that still uses (customised) Jaguar cores, rather than Ryzen.
  • righteoushorighteousho usa Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228933Members
    edited May 2017
    All games will run better on Scorpio, the real question is are the Devs gonna put resources into getting it running as well as it should? By all accounts Scorpio is a beast can run AAA games at native 4k if this game doesn't run 1080p with rock solid 60 fps then I won't touch it again or recommend it.
    All games will run better on Scorpio, the real question is are the Devs gonna put resources into getting it running as well as it should? By all accounts Scorpio is a beast can run AAA games at native 4k if this game doesn't run 1080p with rock solid 60 fps then I won't touch it again or recommend it.

On Scorpio, you mean. There's all of like 5 games that can run 1080p60FPS on the XB1 right now, and like half of them or more are limited to 900p30FPS...

https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+60fps+xbox+one+games
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    Subnautica is a beautiful, stunning game - even on Xbox One! We do have a graphics underhaul and performance issues which are to be expected with the console limitations.

Although the developers will be enhancing the performance of the game, there's no denying that games console provide limitations compared to the processing power of the best PCs. Par for the course in gaming.

But there is Microsoft's next games console coming later this year - Project Scorpio - and it's looking pretty powerful!

My question is will Subnautica become available on Project Scorpio? I can imagine it might be too early to confirm this, but I thought I would ask here.

I would assume with Xbox One supporting Subnautica with Game Preview, there's a good chance it will become available on the latest platform.

Is there any information about this? Please discuss here :smile:
    Well....
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There will be no Scorpio exclusive games, any game released for Scorpio must also run on XB1, and visa versa, any XB1 game will run on Scorpio. Now, of course on Scorpio, they can make the game more beautiful and do other cool things, so we'll have to see about that, it's up to the developers.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/04/10/remember-xbox-scorpio-wont-have-any-exclusives-at-all/#9e288304519e

Yes...the answer is yes end of post..... B)
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    OH HELL YEAH, Scorpio + Subnautica?!?!?!??! Sir, you have my attention