MAJOR ISSUE (Save Bug)

Comments

• ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    XB1S F;
    The save I started after the 'null' update finally died after a day+.
    The last it worked was BEFORE I went to the Southern wreck for the DRILL ARM.
    My save from the 20th of Mar that was once unplayable still loads.
    Working on it.
  • emptybagemptybag Join Date: 2017-03-31 Member: 229327Members
  • WeylandYutani1989WeylandYutani1989 Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228931Members
    v1911ioiigx5.jpg. Seriously had enough of this now !!!
  • JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
    happened to me just now. less than 5 hours into it,
  • WeylandYutani1989WeylandYutani1989 Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228931Members
    Ok so now everyone is having the same issue and the screen shots have been posted , what's happening now , has it helped find the issue ? , can it be sorted now ?
  • este_00este_00 Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228436Members
    Ok so now everyone is having the same issue and the screen shots have been posted , what's happening now , has it helped find the issue ? , can it be sorted now ?

I'll bet you $10 the devs have to push out a third update, this time one that actually has relevant error codes and variable states. That null/void error that everyone is posting, my guess is that is not what they were expecting to see, all the same there was no reason to give themselves such limited error reporting.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    who knows how long it'll take they have to examine the code bit by bit to find the error in their typing and such so we must have patients
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Thanks peeps. Looks like it's the same issue for everyone. We're looking into it as a priority.

• suitgoblinsuitgoblin Newton Aycliffe, UK Join Date: 2017-04-01 Member: 229359Members
    This has just recently started to appear on my computer, its both in Survival and Hardcore. I reinstalled it and still the same problem... Much help would be appreciated :disappointed:

dgteu5deb5rb.jpg
  • Captn_MikroCaptn_Mikro Michigan Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223287Members
    Hey everyone.
    Those of you on Xbox have been seeing the Save/Load issue lately. We've been working very hard to figure it out, and finally think we know what's going on.

The save issue would happen if the compressed save game file size was a multiple of 1024, which explains why it was hard for us to reproduce. Essentially a 1/1000 chance of getting it.

The good news is, we think saved games should load fine once we fix it. We're working on getting the fix out to everyone ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

just happen here after 3 day creative base rebuild died this morning greeted by the now famous screenshot.
    Happy to hear that the problem has been identified.
    I assume a command called 'checksum' didn't work?
    I also thought that 1024 bytes was a very common allocation request.
    I can't remember what the allocation size is for WIN 10 though, I'll look it up.
    Thanks for your hard work.

What Mikro? A creative save was corrupted?
    Shotout wrote: »
    Happy to hear that the problem has been identified.
    I assume a command called 'checksum' didn't work?
    I also thought that 1024 bytes was a very common allocation request.
    I can't remember what the allocation size is for WIN 10 though, I'll look it up.
    Thanks for your hard work.

What Mikro? A creative save was corrupted?

Yep 3 days just hanging creative base and mini lab 6.9mbs saved data closed out return to menu closed out to dash shut down next morning this morning failed to load dialog
  • dudehalo123dudehalo123 Join Date: 2017-04-05 Member: 229438Members
    Same with me i have a creative save i started yesterday which is now corrupted with this error (pic)
    3jrz1ch7g4hz.jpg
    And i cant belive it suck
    This sucks darn auto correct
    I have 3 bases one on the floater island, one on the Gun island and one in the save shallow/plains compleat with every carar infected fish that you can hold in your hand all in their own large large tank and then a pretty standard main base
  • Robhimself79Robhimself79 Join Date: 2017-04-05 Member: 229440Members
    I have been playing on and off the past few weeks hoping to keep a save. I have had very bad luck but on the bright side I can build a cyclops really fast now!

I have faith that this issue will be fixed, I just wish it was sooner than later.
    Hey everyone.
    Those of you on Xbox have been seeing the Save/Load issue lately. We've been working very hard to figure it out, and finally think we know what's going on.

The save issue would happen if the compressed save game file size was a multiple of 1024, which explains why it was hard for us to reproduce. Essentially a 1/1000 chance of getting it.

The good news is, we think saved games should load fine once we fix it. We're working on getting the fix out to everyone ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

I have no idea... but that seems, odd. You guys are struct or bitwise limiting something or handling in 10bit increments and messed up a rollover? And, not for nothing, but I've had 5 games lock up, in those games, I've saved anywhere from 12 to 80 times maximum per each . If it's a 1/1000... That seems like such an amazing coincidence!

Please put very verbose error reporting in your next patch. It really doesn't seem like you've found the cause to me. But again... I know nothing, nothing at all. I hope you get it fixed soon as I'm a huge fan but even my interest is waning.
    Dude Obraxis and the team are probably working their asses off so cut them some slack
    edited April 2017
    Max wrote: »
    este_00 wrote: »
    I have no idea... but that seems, odd. You guys are struct or bitwise limiting something or handling in 10bit increments and messed up a rollover? And, not for nothing, but I've had 5 games lock up, in those games, I've saved anywhere from 12 to 80 times maximum per each . If it's a 1/1000... That seems like such an amazing coincidence!
    Save games on the Xbox are compressed due to space limitations. The decompressor works in blocks of 1024 bytes. If the file was a multiple of 1024 bytes, the decompressor would loop one extra time and during that loop it would report that 0 bytes were decompressed. Our code incorrectly identified this result as an error, but it really was just an indicator that we'd reached the end. When this happened, we would return null for the decompressed data which is why you see the "a null value was found where an object instance was required".

Well, that helps explain why it's Xbox only, which is cool and all, but does that really explain why each of us with this issue have had multiple games lock up? If it's 1/1000 saves, and on average my games are locking up at 20-30 saves, that math doesn't seem to be working out. Maybe some of us are just REALLY lucky? EDIT: AND it's only the last save that lands on 1024 before a load that causes it to error-out, etc etc

If you're going to patch again, maybe go way verbose in error reporting (be bold in your adjustments). But again, I'll fully admit I know absolutely nothing, just tossing out that the math doesn't seem to be in the explanation's favor.

How many people here have had multiple games lock up? Does that really seem like 1/1000 odds per person per game?
    Dude the only other game that lock up on me was terria and that was because my e Xbox's memory was almost full so I had to clear some room and then i bought a 3 Tb (terra bytes) external hard drive
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for that explanation Max. A very plausible cause of the problem.

Thank you for your own and your teams efforts.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    Well, that helps explain why it's Xbox only, which is cool and all, but does that really explain why each of us with this issue have had multiple games lock up? If it's 1/1000 saves, and on average my games are locking up at 20-30 saves, that math doesn't seem to be working out. Maybe some of us are just REALLY lucky? EDIT: AND it's only the last save that lands on 1024 before a load that causes it to error-out, etc etc

If you're going to patch again, maybe go way verbose in error reporting (be bold in your adjustments). But again, I'll fully admit I know absolutely nothing, just tossing out that the math doesn't seem to be in the explanation's favor.

The 1/1000 chance of a savefile issue is basically referring to the stored data file size being a multiple of 1024. So the odds of a particular file size returning a null value is literally 1 out of 1024 chances (or 1/1000 rounding down, but it's really 1/1024). So that's where your REALLY lucky chances are coming from.
    How many people here have had multiple games lock up? Does that really seem like 1/1000 odds per person per game?

You're misunderstanding the odds again. It's not 1/1000 per person per game... It's affecting saves with file sizes that are a MULTIPLE of 1024. Considering the large number of players on Xbox and file sizes (at least on PC) that can hit up to 1 gigabyte (or higher) in size... Let's break that down.

For just one Xbox player with a compressed file size that is 1 gigabyte total (1,073,741,824 bytes actual size), divided by 1024 you get 1,048,576 chances that a compressed file won't load anymore. So basically that's over a million possible chances one single player can hit the "jackpot" and not be able to load their savefiles... given there's hundreds, if not thousands of Xbox players having this issue, yeah... some people were just REALLY lucky. :smirk:

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to be mean... I just don't like when people complain about issues that they don't fully understand and make unwarranted accusations. The devs were able to identify the issue and are working to fix it, so there's no reason to chew them out for something that was basically Microsoft's issue to begin with. :tongue:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    ... long list where you don't seem to understand probability

Ok. So explain why devs couldn't replicate it. I'll wait.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited April 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    ... long list where you don't seem to understand probability

Ok. So explain why devs couldn't replicate it. I'll wait.

I'm making a wild guess here -- maybe the development console didn't use compressed saves, to make pulling everything apart easier? That doesn't explain the retail console not reproducing it, however, if it's just one console, I guess it's possible that one person (it was @Obraxis ) trying to make this happen might not have luck.

Also, @Max there were I think two other Xbox saved game error codes people reported in various places, seemed very rare, but they were EDIT: **NOT** the null value error. I can go digging for them if you want.

EDIT: Actually, one more thing: Anyone know how long this bug has been present? Could be it's been here since initial XB release, and has gotten more frequent as more content is added and file sizes got larger (more chances for x 1024 size)
    The First time i experienced this error was yesterday