Found a FIX for the recent SAVE/LOAD BUG

HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
So after 17 hrs and 25 mins on a new game, I got hit with the horrid save/load bug for the first time. I was totally bummed and decided I wasn't gonna start again till they fixed this and released the Infected update. But before throwing in the towel, I decided to try something (I'm really enjoying this game since the recent 2 in 1 update) and it worked!! :D So here's what I did step by step. First I hit the Home button, pressed Menu and exited the game. Then pressed Menu again and went to Manage Game, scrolled down to Saved Data, selected the file (NOT Delete All) and then selected Delete From Console (DO NOT select Delete Everywhere). I had to do this twice, after the 1st time, the file was still there. After that I just loaded the game back up, then it began to Sync Files (can't remember if this started before pressing menu or after). During the Sync it froze a couple times (once around 60 something % and again at 99%) I thought it wasn't going to work, Hakuna Matata though, just give it a min and it'll go. After that was done my saved game was there (the save was a couple saves prior to the one that was corrupted, 30 mins game time, I think it took me back to the last non-corrupted save file). I have since played past that point, saved and loaded the game with no problems and I can now "Just Keep Swimming". I hope this helps everyone, let me know how it goes and pass the info to your fellow Divers. Maybe this will also help the devs figure out the issue so it can get fixed soon. I'll update this if I have another save/load issue.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    So after 17 hrs and 25 mins on a new game, I got hit with the horrid save/load bug for the first time. I was totally bummed and decided I wasn't gonna start again till they fixed this and released the Infected update. But before throwing in the towel, I decided to try something (I'm really enjoying this game since the recent 2 in 1 update) and it worked!! :D So here's what I did step by step. First I hit the Home button, pressed Menu and exited the game. Then pressed Menu again and went to Manage Game, scrolled down to Saved Data, selected the file (NOT Delete All) and then selected Delete From Console (DO NOT select Delete Everywhere). I had to do this twice, after the 1st time, the file was still there. After that I just loaded the game back up, then it began to Sync Files (can't remember if this started before pressing menu or after). During the Sync it froze a couple times (once around 60 something % and again at 99%) I thought it wasn't going to work, Hakuna Matata though, just give it a min and it'll go. After that was done my saved game was there (the save was a couple saves prior to the one that was corrupted, 30 mins game time, I think it took me back to the last non-corrupted save file). I have since played past that point, saved and loaded the game with no problems and I can now "Just Keep Swimming". I hope this helps everyone, let me know how it goes and pass the info to your fellow Divers. Maybe this will also help the devs figure out the issue so it can get fixed soon. I'll update this if I have another save/load issue.

x-posted that to the Xbox One thread for you. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/149051/x-post-from-sn-bug-reporting-found-a-fix-for-the-recent-save-load-bug/p1
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    @0x6A7232 Thanks for posting that to the Xbox thread.
  • dvest8ing_ronindvest8ing_ronin canada Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228703Members
    I have tried this and it does not work on my end at all. all 8 save files i have will not load.
  • prvtmeatwalletprvtmeatwallet detroit Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216891Members
    This has not worked for me yet. Tried a couple times with a previous save and a save created post update. :( Im going to put more time on a new game with multiple auto saves to confirm.
  • HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    To note, I did only have one save file, which was on a new game I started after the 2 in 1 update. Also the save/load error had just happened. Don't know if any of that makes a difference, this did work for me though. Sorry you guys didn't get the same result.
    This has not worked for me yet. Tried a couple times with a previous save and a save created post update. :( Im going to put more time on a new game with multiple auto saves to confirm.
    I have tried this and it does not work on my end at all. all 8 save files i have will not load.

@0x6A7232 Did this work for you?

I don't currently have any saves on my XB1. I did, but I removed them after the Castles and Coffee update, and haven't started new ones yet.
  • Bronyhunter87Bronyhunter87 Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228319Members
    @HeartOfTheKING what save file is it? is it the reserved data or the profile data? Sorry to bother you btw.
  • jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members
    I tried it, it didn't work. It all happened as OP said but the file didn't load. Same error.
    @HeartOfTheKING what save file is it? is it the reserved data or the profile data? Sorry to bother you btw.

Profile data, deleted on console only. And it's not a bother, happy to help other divers. Wish it was working for others though. :/ Not sure why it worked for me. Don't know if it makes a difference but I NEVER Quit To Main Menu when exiting the game. Instead I press the home button, then press menu on the controller and select quit game.
  • SangheiliLeviathanSangheiliLeviathan Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228682Members
    this doesn't seem to work all too often. i hope they get a patch out soon.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    The "Infected Update" passed MS Cert for Xbox & will go out on the Xbox today at 6:00 AM PST.

As @Max has said, we have still not been able to reproduce the issue. I've personally spent nearly a week testing the game on both a retail console and a XDK development kit, playing games, trying to reproduce the save/load issues people have been having with no success.

Max has made some potential fixes and added additional information to the error message that pops up. If this happens for you once the new update is out , please post screenshots of this error so we can locate the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help and apologies for the issues you're having. We're working very hard on this and it's top priority.

• smittiessmitties Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228783Members
    This worked for me although the only kind of problem was that it went back to the previous save I had made, kinda like it deleted the one that was broken.
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I mentioned that in my post, it took me back 30 mins prior. That was two saves for me actually. I save about every 15 mins. Maybe it hasn't worked for others cause there corrupted file happened to many saves before that, then the corrupted file wound up being the backup. Just speculating though, the most experience I have with games is playing them. I'm glad it finally worked for someone else though, means that mine may not have been just a fluke. @Obraxis @Flayra This may be worth looking into though. Hope you guys figure it out, (imo) this game has the potential of being one of the greatest ever. Keep it up and it will, we believe in you. B)
    smitties wrote: »
    This worked for me although the only kind of problem was that it went back to the previous save I had made, kinda like it deleted the one that was broken.

• JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
    I followed the steps you outlined last night- everything went well but the saves still would not load. I am copying and pasting what I posted in another thread.

When I go to save the word "saving" stays for 5 mins or more. I've learned if I quit before the word disappears, I lose my save. If I wait 5 mins or more for it to disappear, then save quickly again- my save will load safely next time. This works 100% of the time for me. *Update* Well I spoke to soon- this trick failed for the first time. None of my saves load anymore.
  • mamamama Washington Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220141Members
    edited March 2017

Sync hangs forever, quitting and retrying, deleting save data and including reinstall, nope, doesnt work. Im jelli
    edited March 2017
    Funny thing is, I wound up starting over with the "Infected" update

• AtlasTheHeroAtlasTheHero Join Date: 2017-03-12 Member: 228885Members
  • Precision1302Precision1302 Deutschland Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228429Members
    Funktioniert nicht :(
  • Spooky626Spooky626 US Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228922Members
    I actually bought the game right before this happened. which, kinda sucks. but atleast it has a better chance of working. it seems alpha users are more likely not to succeed with this fix. I'm not sure how, but it seems just that way. sadly, this did not work for me. it had failed. I guess I just lost about 13h of my life.
    Sorry everyone, this looks like it may have been a fluke. I just had a new save (only 4 1/2 hrs in) get the save/load error. I repeated my steps exactly from before, but was unable to recover the file like the last time. :/ Hopefully they'll get this figured out soon.
  • brandyc1123brandyc1123 Indiana Join Date: 2017-03-23 Member: 229134Members
    I'm heartbroken that this "save data loading failed (unknown error) " message keeps coming up. 21+ hours and this is easily my favorite Xbox one game. I can't even load the new world I spent an 1 on yesterday. I tried deleting the info from my console and syncing it again as mentioned above, but that didn't change anything.
    Does anyone have any other tips/tricks to fix this?
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    So you didn't fix anything, you reverted back to a previous file. Good that you could do this, but still not a real solution.
    So you didn't fix anything, you reverted back to a previous file. Good that you could do this, but still not a real solution.

It's a 'fix' like clearing your cache is a fix for stuttering, pop-in, and crashes - it fixes the problem temporarily so you can keep playing while the devs solve the actual problem when they eventually figure it out and implement the fix(es) necessary.
  • themaelstormthemaelstorm Germany Join Date: 2016-11-03 Member: 223623Members
    Came back to the game, started a hardcore and got this bug :(
  • emilysubnaticaemilysubnatica Missouri Join Date: 2020-02-19 Member: 258066Members
    Can you record a video of how to do it I dont understand what you mean by game management