Get rid of ladders, replace with short range vertical teleporter

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    SP_Kenny wrote: »
    Not that I have any issues with the ladders but I do have a question about the supposed tech in the game. Hopefully this is not too much of a topic derailment.

We know the Aurora's main mission was gathering resources to setup a new Phase Gate - in the realm of this world what is a "Phase Gate"? Is it something like the gates in SG1 or is it a jump gate like we see in the game Eve Online?

And on the topic of tech for teleports and usage - in the world of Star Trek - they still used ladders and elevators on their ships and buildings for every day usage.

Did did try a quick forum search - I see the gate mentioned but nothing talking about the supposed tech. I also looked at the wiki

It's probably something like either one of those. It could be a artificial wormhole gate system (Stargate) or a jumpgate (EVE Online). It could also be a less advanced form of the Precursor teleporter gate system. Except it's on a larger scale for spaceships of varying sizes.

Assuming that Warpers and Precursor teleporters use the same science as a phasegate, then it makes one wonder how small of a Phasegate that Alterra can create. Size seems to be proportional to range. A Phasegate is capable of transporting ships the size of Aurora and maybe longer and has a huge energy cost to transport ships lightyears away. A Precursor teleporter seems to be only capable of transporting a Seamoth and is likely limited to the planet. Warpers produce an external portal that seems to be limited to about 200 meters, but likely capable of a few kilometers due to there being no corpses around. Warper technology is impossible and pointless for Alterra to create due to miniaturization and limited range. Warpers might not worry about various safety concerns like making sure that the traveler arrives intact that a Precursor teleporter or Phasegate has to worry about which would reduce the size of the Warper technology.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Well alright then grumpy

How do you figure the game gets worse the more sci fi it gets? It's a science fiction game.

I'll agree that teleporters are unoriginal but so are ladders????

I didn't necessarily want my first post after getting back to be something like this, but I simply can't resist.
    Thinking about this in a logical sense, if you were someone designing a open-world survival game, and you had a character in a survival scenario, what makes more sense? A short range teleporter, a device requiring technology that Alterra has not been shown to have? Or a ladder, something anyone with basic knowledge can design and create?

He has returned indeed @Jamezorg...

(Up until about 1:15 that is. @dealwithitdog, don't expect us to start assaulting you)

@dealwithitdog, welcome back my dear fellow! You've only missed a bit, the precursor update, too many multiplayer threads, oh and you may want to... um, you may want to check out the election threads.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Well alright then grumpy

How do you figure the game gets worse the more sci fi it gets? It's a science fiction game.

I didn't necessarily want my first post after getting back to be something like this, but I simply can't resist.
    Thinking about this in a logical sense, if you were someone designing a open-world survival game, and you had a character in a survival scenario, what makes more sense? A short range teleporter, a device requiring technology that Alterra has not been shown to have? Or a ladder, something anyone with basic knowledge can design and create?

(Up until about 1:15 that is. @dealwithitdog, don't expect us to start assaulting you)

@dealwithitdog, welcome back my dear fellow! You've only missed a bit, the precursor update, too many multiplayer threads, oh and you may want to... um, you may want to check out the election threads.

... or not.
    B)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Well alright then grumpy

I may steer clear of those, given that a LOT has gone on with them since I left, and honestly, I think I got a little TOO invested in them. :grin:
    But thanks for the warm welcome back @EnglishInfidel, @Jamezorg, and @subnauticambrian.
    I do have to ask, is Captain Oculus Home still doing his favorite thing? I don't dare speak his name lest he appear...
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Well alright then grumpy

I may steer clear of those, given that a LOT has gone on with them since I left, and honestly, I think I got a little TOO invested in them. :grin:
    But thanks for the warm welcome back @EnglishInfidel, @Jamezorg, and @subnauticambrian.
    I do have to ask, is Captain Oculus Home still doing his favorite thing? I don't dare speak his name lest he appear...

No one's seen him around for an age... We've had plenty of temporary trolls to deal with, however.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Aside from the story line related tech answers, I also feel the way the base building system works, this likely wouldn't replace ladders. I am one of those people that will build mile long pathways to lower parts of the ocean and I need my ladders to do so lol.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Well alright then grumpy

Oh, god, you missed the Age of Julian! Jesus, that was something else, my God...
    Also it feels good to finally have someone else on the forums that remembers both the Great Craft-Times debate and the Grand Spadefish Quarrel :)
    Ahhh julian... for whom the bell DOESN'T toll.

B)
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    Welcome to my post dealwithitdog, I'm new so idk who you are you seem important enough, sorry this sh*t show was your first welcome back.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Welcome to my post dealwithitdog, I'm new so idk who you are you seem important enough, sorry this sh*t show was your first welcome back.

What's wrong with this thread?
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Well alright then grumpy

Oh, god, you missed the Age of Julian! Jesus, that was something else, my God...
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

What happened witrh him? Did his wonky typing finally break someone?
    Also it feels good to finally have someone else on the forums that remembers both the Great Craft-Times debate and the Grand Spadefish Quarrel :)

God, that Spadefish thing was the DUMBEST.
    Can I ask what the spade fish thing was about?
    Does it have anything to do with the fishes saltiness?

Somebody back in July last year asked the devs to change the look of the Spadefish because it was bad...

and, in proper internet fashion, it descended into madness. I and @dealwithitdog did our best to diffuse the situation, telling people it was a bit stupid, but the thread continued for a good three or four weeks, well into August...

Somebody back in July last year asked the devs to change the look of the Spadefish because it was bad...

and, in proper internet fashion, it descended into madness. I and @dealwithitdog did our best to diffuse the situation, telling people it was a bit stupid, but the thread continued for a good three or four weeks, well into August...

The definition for spade fish is "a bit salty"
    The definition for the cure version is "your daily dose of salt in one sitting"

That will make me laugh everytime now
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Well alright then grumpy

B)

Greetings @dealwithitdog! Not exactly; you missed one of the greatest if not THE greatest moment in Subnautica forum history:

Long story short, Julian asked for a Lazy Town reference put in the game. When @phantomfinch chewed him out for his infantile behavior, Julian insisted that "I Just Think That It Would Be Just A Reference To Me. An 11 Year Old That Plays Games And Requested To Be A Beta Tester."

You have to be at least 13 to have an account here.

Julian was promptly banned by @Foxy, until he came back as "TheRelmLord". I'm pretty sure he's gone for good, now - he hasn't made any posts in ages.

Good bloody riddance.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

God, that Spadefish thing was the DUMBEST.

I had forgotten about that thread.

Gosh, that brings back some memories, I'm glad I didn't get into that debate.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    2. They are going to be adding climbing animations

I was surprised this was mentioned so late in the debate, since this is on the Trello development. It might be a good idea if they could let us have an option to skip climbing animations though, in case someone has a mile-high stack of rooms.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    2. They are going to be adding climbing animations

I was surprised this was mentioned so late in the debate, since this is on the Trello development. It might be a good idea if they could let us have an option to skip climbing animations though, in case someone has a mile-high stack of rooms.

I think they'd be sensible if you have a large base that goes up a long ways vertically. Like the animation plays when you goto to climb the ladder and then suddenly your at the top or bottom and have the climb animation end.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited January 2017
    First order of business: Welcome to the forums @LordSinguloth. Have hugs, cookies, and you are formally invited to the fish fry competition on Friday.

Secondly: Welcome back @dealwithitdog!

On a practical and aesthetic level I really like that idea actually. I don't mind the ladders aesthetically, but it is mildly annoying to keep running face first into them because they block most of a hallway or going up instead of down because of the small 'hitbox' the down ladder has. Many a potential scenic view has been changed because of a ladder in the way.

Aesthetically I think it could fit in very well.

Despite being on the 'its a survival game' bandwagon (personally pushing it, really) I think at the point that you have a nuclear reactor for power you can safely have less than practical things to play with in your base. Give it a funny noise and our survivor, who is no doubt bored out of his/her wits at this point, has something to play with for a few hours. Maybe make it a late game convenience item.

It doesn't even really have to be a teleporter from a physics perspective, just something that gets you to the next level without having a hunk of titanium to bash your face on when you slip because the floor is wet.

Its a pretty minor issue overall to me, but its kinda cool still.

EDIT: had no idea they were supposed to be retractable, which is pretty neat. Meh.
    Ralij wrote: »
    First order of business: Welcome to the forums @LordSinguloth .

Thank you for the warm welcome. And thanks for the compliment on the idea
    I never imagined that a simple post about ladders would end up like this.

Well alright then grumpy

B)

Greetings @dealwithitdog! Not exactly; you missed one of the greatest if not THE greatest moment in Subnautica forum history:

Long story short, Julian asked for a Lazy Town reference put in the game. When @phantomfinch chewed him out for his infantile behavior, Julian insisted that "I Just Think That It Would Be Just A Reference To Me. An 11 Year Old That Plays Games And Requested To Be A Beta Tester."

You have to be at least 13 to have an account here.

Julian was promptly banned by @Foxy, until he came back as "TheRelmLord". I'm pretty sure he's gone for good, now - he hasn't made any posts in ages.

Good bloody riddance.

Wow, Karma really bit him in the ass. I'm almost sad I missed that, but then again, I was spared the agony of reading his posts.
    See, it's stuff like that, as well as Neuralyzing @Kouji_San every once in a while, that brought me back. Keep up the silliness!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I don't remember that at all...

• Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    And yet another thread completely derailed by the same group of people... Private messages exist, FFS.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I don't remember that at all...

Shhh...Just dreams now...
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    First order of business: Welcome to the forums @LordSinguloth .

Thank you for the warm welcome. And thanks for the compliment on the idea
    I never imagined that a simple post about ladders would end up like this.

You are most welcome. It happens. Everything has a backcurrent and context within a forum so things tend to get shuffled into that. Spontaneous reunions and all. I'm sorta impressed we went straight to philosophical ramifications of moving up and down a floor though, xD Kinda got sucked into previous teleportation debates n such. Silly folks.
    We should have teleporter!

-chaos ensues
    edited January 2017
    Oh chill a bit Victor, the topic had pretty much played itself out in the first two posts, before anybody went off the rails.

Besides, a quick look at Trello and the OP would have had all the info he needed to know that "Transporting Ladder Pads", weren't ever going to be a "thing".
    B)
    Victor32 wrote: »
    And yet another thread completely derailed by the same group of people... Private messages exist, FFS.

Once again, this forum is more of a community than the steam forums you come from. About one thread does this every month or two; it becomes a place to just talk about stuff.

Don't come here and tell us we're doing it wrong when we've been doing it since time began.
    It's my thread so I get to decide
    I vote place to talk and chill
    Also a place to argue about ladders and the moral implications of teleporters that move you ten feet up or down.

Also general sh*tshow

Welcome to the carnival