Get rid of ladders, replace with short range vertical teleporter

LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
Forget the ladders, the are ugly (no offense model guy) and are difficult to use since you have to very carefully selected which ladder to use in a row since they overlap and such.

An alternative to the clunky ugly ladders, is since the teleport you up and down anyway, why not replace them with whatever the graphical equivalent of a subnautica blue glowing ring going around the floor/ceiling in place of the ladder, that extends about 3 or 4 inches below/above the hole. The hole itself showing the other side of the portal or something.

I think it would go by the sify look of the game without being super expensive either perhaps just copper wire instead of titanium.

This would make selecting which "ladder" to use much easier by having to look up at the ceiling to go up or by having to look at the floor one to go down.

What do you think great anons/devs

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    While the technology used in Subnautica is advanced, it is not that advanced. The Precursors have to use a huge gateway for their teleportation and there is the possibility of using Precursor technology to teleport between our bases. Then there is the problem of selecting which floor to go to. Having the teleporter go through each floor before reaching your destination doesn't make sense. Therefore, the game would need to figure out how many floors there are and create a display console that allows people to go to the floor that they wish to go to. Then there is the problem that Teleporters don't have the vertical restrictions that ladders have so any place in the base is a valid place for a teleporter. It is extremely difficult to create a ingame display to represent the location of every teleporter without the use of a window.

The major problem with using a teleporter is the philosophical ramifactions and ethics of it.

The precursor transporter doesn't seem to suffer from this problem due to going through the portal, but I am not certain if being attacked by a Warper suffers from this problem. If the devs want to add localized teleportation into the game, then it would be as a blueprint and ladders will still exist.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    Obviously, the Precursors hadn't invented a "Heisenberg Compensator" yet and could only use self-contained wormholes to transport things around.
    B)
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    Well i more meant instead of a large Tele, more of a smaller circle just big enough for a human on the ceiling to teleport you one room at a time, same as a ladder does. If it makes you feel better it could use some kind of suction.

Hoop fish are able to use their antennas to create a low density area in front of them and a high density field in front of them allowing for linear locomotion. (Brilliant one devs)

Why not have to use it in the construction of a thing like that to upgrade the ladder

• omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    I am thinking on a some type of elevator instead of ladders...
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    @LordSinguloth , can I just...

Your profile picture, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
    Also I like ladders, but give us the option for teleporters if you don't like the look
    Thanks much
    Honestly I don't like the elevator idea, I rather like having to go floor to floor. Own opinion I suppose but late game/creative elevators may be chill. But I am just trying to clean up the bases here, and if you can have the door take up a small part of the ceiling then hey why not.

I just think there should be a better way to pick up or down between floors honestly
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Obviously, the Precursors hadn't invented a "Heisenberg Compensator" yet and could only use self-contained wormholes to transport things around.
    B)

Using portals are better than teleportation since they don't need to be disintegrated in order to travel to another location. If you are disintegrated, have the particles that compose your body transmitted to another location, and then the particles are reassembled to form an identical copy of yourself, do you still exist? Might be better to teleport clones to alternate destinations and treat the clone as an avatar than bother with the philosophical ramifications of teleportation. Androids would also work and less of a problem of creating and discarding clones, but it would be a problem to get touch, smell, and taste to work right in an android.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Why a Teleporter and not just a lift (elevator)
    Lift = space

Teleporter fits within the small hole the ladder creates
    When it comes down to it
    It is survival at its core not convenience
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    For those who already visited the Precursor architectures it should be clear that the Precursors already used air/grav-lifts for short range travel and teleportation for long range travel. You should also be aware that you can gain tech upgrades like the ion power cells or batteries by studying Precursor terminals. So in future updates it might be possible that the devs allow airlifts and teleporters for your seabases.

The simplest thing to implement airlifts would probably be a tech glass tube replacing the ladder and representing an airlift transport power system. The tube is open to one side to exit while you are rising or falling down. And one type of tube for an upflow and another for the downflow. So you can either flow up or down and move forward to enter or exit at any connection level. Or in a more simple form the airlift would only be for long range vertical connections and with only a top and bottom connection. This simple kind of airlift system would only need simple models for the seabase. For a teleporter the devs would have to create a fully animated interior or exterior big base module. That would probably take more time to develop.

Of course when I look at the fact that the devs never connected those ladders or made them 90° rotatable for all those 2 years, I think we might have to live with those teleport ladders until 1.0.
    I like the airlift idea
    Unfortunately I'm a lowly xbox peon so no precursor for me
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Seems like this belongs in the ideas and suggestion forum

Welcome to the subnautica forum where the rules don't matter and shit gets posted wherever whenever anyway
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I think it would go by the sify look of the game without being super expensive either perhaps just copper wire instead of titanium.

This would make selecting which "ladder" to use much easier by having to look up at the ceiling to go up or by having to look at the floor one to go down.

What do you think great anons/devs

cr3z2lh7d762.jpg

You don't want to know what I think.

Welcome to the subnautica forum where the rules don't matter and crap gets posted wherever whenever anyway

erm language plz, k, thx, bai.
    -posts idea on forum
    -attacked for grammar

Who cares
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    -posts idea on forum
    -attacked for grammar

Who cares

I think it was more for the word use / choice in regards to forum rules....
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    -attacked for grammar
    What are you talking about?

By the way, this isn't /v/; you can't greentext, and there're no anons here.
    -thinking a dash is a greentext arrow

>>>>mfw meme arrows

Alright fine sorry I even posted
    edited January 2017
    Stop, it's too much cringe.
    As for your idea, I think it's terrible.
    Ladders are fine and work fine and stick with the aesthetic. Sliding up and down ladders and ducking through hatches is everything good about submarines. We need klaxons and battle stations. And we desperately need climbing animations.
    We need better ladders, not no ladders.
    The more sci-fi this game gets, the worse it gets. And teleports are almost as cringe worthy and unoriginal as you using 4chan etiquette on every website you visit.
    But that's just my own feeling on it.
    Well alright then grumpy

How do you figure the game gets worse the more sci fi it gets? It's a science fiction game.

I'll agree that teleporters are unoriginal but so are ladders????

edited January 2017
    Because the more sci-fi it gets, the more cliché and boring it becomes.
    Before the precursors, when it was just Alterra corp. with not-too-advanced tech (apart from the fabricator, which we've had huge debates about) it was okay, you could suspend disbelief.

Alterra has ladders. We've had ladders for thousands of years.
    Alterra does not have teleportation technology. If it did, we probably wouldn't be stuck in the situation we find ourselves in.

This game was not always so science fiction, it once more heavily leaned in the survival direction. It's bad enough we're expected to believe the precursors had teleportation technology. No way should we have it in our bases. It would have absolutely no believable place in our world.

But, then again, at this point it doesn't really matter. Any logic or sense has pretty much been abandoned by now so why the hell not? Teleportation, sure. Then we'll go back in time, fall in love with a precursor girl and save the world from the evil Alterra corporation.

Welcome back @dealwithitdog... you didn't miss much, and you can see nothing's changed.
    Because the more sci-fi it gets, the more cliché and boring it becomes.
    Before the precursors, when it was just Alterra corp. with not-too-advanced tech (apart from the fabricator, which we've had huge debates about) it was okay, you could suspend disbelief.

Alterra has ladders. We've had ladders for thousands of years.
    Alterra does not have teleportation technology. If it did, we probably wouldn't be stuck in the situation we find ourselves in.

This game was not always so science fiction, it once more heavily leaned in the survival direction. It's bad enough we're expected to believe the precursors had teleportation technology. No way should we have it in our bases. It would have absolutely no believable place in our world.

But, then again, at this point it doesn't really matter. Any logic or sense has pretty much been abandoned by now so why the hell not? Teleportation, sure. Then we'll go back in time, fall in love with a precursor girl and save the world from the evil Alterra corporation.

Welcome back @dealwithitdog... you didn't miss much, and you can see nothing's changed.

You made me look at it a different way, thank you. At the core of my post I want easier ladders to use. Doesn't have to be a teleporter.

The more I think about the more ultra Sci fi could kill some immersion and take you away from the survival aspect. I think the precursors having that tech would be fine but idk I'm just a lowly console peon.

I would like to see some more survival aspects to the game. They already cover food water and o2 there isn't much more to cover from there aside from mental health
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    Not that I have any issues with the ladders but I do have a question about the supposed tech in the game. Hopefully this is not too much of a topic derailment.

We know the Aurora's main mission was gathering resources to setup a new Phase Gate - in the realm of this world what is a "Phase Gate"? Is it something like the gates in SG1 or is it a jump gate like we see in the game Eve Online?

And on the topic of tech for teleports and usage - in the world of Star Trek - they still used ladders and elevators on their ships and buildings for every day usage.

Did did try a quick forum search - I see the gate mentioned but nothing talking about the supposed tech. I also looked at the wiki
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Well alright then grumpy

How do you figure the game gets worse the more sci fi it gets? It's a science fiction game.

I'll agree that teleporters are unoriginal but so are ladders????

I didn't necessarily want my first post after getting back to be something like this, but I simply can't resist.
    Thinking about this in a logical sense, if you were someone designing a open-world survival game, and you had a character in a survival scenario, what makes more sense? A short range teleporter, a device requiring technology that Alterra has not been shown to have? Or a ladder, something anyone with basic knowledge can design and create?

He has returned...

Welcome back, Sir @dealwithitdog .
    SP_Kenny wrote: »
    Not that I have any issues with the ladders but I do have a question about the supposed tech in the game. Hopefully this is not too much of a topic derailment.

We know the Aurora's main mission was gathering resources to setup a new Phase Gate - in the realm of this world what is a "Phase Gate"? Is it something like the gates in SG1 or is it a jump gate like we see in the game Eve Online?

And on the topic of tech for teleports and usage - in the world of Star Trek - they still used ladders and elevators on their ships and buildings for every day usage.

Did did try a quick forum search - I see the gate mentioned but nothing talking about the supposed tech. I also looked at the wiki

It's probably something like either one of those. It could be a artificial wormhole gate system (Stargate) or a jumpgate (EVE Online). It could also be a less advanced form of the Precursor teleporter gate system. Except it's on a larger scale for spaceships of varying sizes.
    edited January 2017
    You made me look at it a different way, thank you.

In that case, this is just for you.

>mfw I persuade someone of something online