Game launching on a minimized screen! Please help! (no crash)

2»

Comments

• ShyGuyXXLShyGuyXXL Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221692Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    It keeps your files, but you'll need to re-install your programs.

Ughhhhh fuck that. Not gonna do that anytime soon. Just not worth the hassle. >_< I have way too much stuff that would need reinstalling and setting up and everything.
    Maybe once there's an official release I might consider it again.
    ...or maybe I'll buy a new laptop some day.
  • FlippingPowerFlippingPower Spain Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218220Members
    I FOUND THE SOLUTION, ADMIN PLS LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS HORRIBLE BUG.

Step 1: Open Subnautica
    Step 2: Open the Task Manager
    Step 3: Right Click on Subnautica
    Step 4: Click on Expand
    Step 5: Click on the Subnautica subprocess
    Step 6: Click Expand again.
    Step 7: Restart Subnautica

ENJOY!!!!!! :wink:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    ^ What he said. Also, if that doesn't help, run this, just to rule it out (works for Win 7 / 8 / 10):

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-7
  • LEgGOdtLEgGOdt Join Date: 2018-03-25 Member: 239486Members
    I FOUND THE SOLUTION, ADMIN PLS LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS HORRIBLE BUG.

Step 1: Open Subnautica
    Step 2: Open the Task Manager
    Step 3: Right Click on Subnautica
    Step 4: Click on Expand
    Step 5: Click on the Subnautica subprocess
    Step 6: Click Expand again.
    Step 7: Restart Subnautica

ENJOY!!!!!! :wink:

I'm sorry but that doesn't work for it just happened to me. AND it the Official Release too! So we're back at square one again.
  • AiliaAilia Deutschland Join Date: 2018-03-28 Member: 239571Members
    edited March 2018
    I'm using a localized German version of Windows. I see an equivalent to "Expand" for step 4, but for step 6 I just see
    1. Wechseln zu (change to)
    2. in den Vordergrund (to foreground)
    3. minimieren (minimize)
    4. maximieren (maximize)
    5. Task beenden (end task)

No "expand" option for step 6. None of the above functions helps.

I'm having the same problem. Subnautica starts, I hear music, I even got the first steam collector card. The game window is minimized and I'm not able to put the game window to foreground or activate it in any way.

BUT, I have some additional information. This issue exists since the Creator's update to Windows 10. It affects a lot of games including WoW, Fallout 4 and others. For most of these games I have to switch display mode from Vollbild (whole screen) to borderless windowed mode. The only game I know where this workaround didn't help was "Outcast - Second . . .". So my first question is: is there an editable configuration file where I can switch to borderless window display?

BTW, I did a complete check process on m system for Outcast with the GOG team including checking all drivers, reinstalling DirectX, VC redistributales, clean boot. No success.
    The rig is based on an NVidia GTX 970 and i5-3570K which proved to be an absolute stable gaming platform for 100+ games and quite a long time.
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    LEgGOdt wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that doesn't work for it just happened to me. AND it the Official Release too! So we're back at square one again.

Does this work?
    Obraxis wrote: »
    This is a Unity bug, so sadly until they fix the issue we can't do much.

There is also another method you can use to work around this issue:

Right click on Subnautica in your Library, hit properties. Click 'Set Launch Options' button. Put inside it: -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080 Hit OK. Game should now be fine.

zontwitch wrote: »

Does this work?

Right click on Subnautica in your Library, hit properties. Click 'Set Launch Options' button. Put inside it: -screen-width 1920 -screen-height 1080 Hit OK. Game should now be fine.

Replace those numbers with your actual resolution if it's different. The resolution quoted was for 1080p (which is 1920x1080)
    [...]

Replace those numbers with your actual resolution if it's different. The resolution quoted was for 1080p (which is 1920x1080)

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't help :-( Do you know parameters for borderless windowed mode?
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    In Stream you can add
    -window-mode exclusive

to your launch options.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    I've had the Subnautica window minimize behind the windows taskbar a few times when I try to move it to my second monitor. Maybe this trick will work for you guys as well, because the issue seems similar:

Rightclick your taskbar and unlock it temporarily. Now move it (the taskbar) to the side of your monitor and back to the bottom. This should reset your Subnautica window back onto your desktop
    In Stream you can add
    -window-mode exclusive

to your launch options.

Thank you very much. Now at least I get a light blue triangle shaped cursor on a totally black background. Unfortunately I don't find any sweet spot that triggers an action while pressing the mouse button.
  • JokersoupnaziJokersoupnazi United States Join Date: 2018-08-04 Member: 242669Members
    Wow 2 years later and I am having basically the same problem as FlippingPower except the main difference is I bought this through steam a couple weeks ago and have not been able to play it even once. I click play, it opens on the Taskbar and I hear music but it never opens the screen. It's like it's completely minimized and wont open at all. No alt+Tab no CTRL+ALT+DEL to force maximize. Nothing will make this thing open. Very frustrating, the worst part is I haven't even had one chance to play it. It's like here steam take my money and give me nothing for it...
    Find your output_log.txt and post it (usually \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt ) You can use PasteBin.com to post logs (or a sharing link from Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar).
  • ozkr6ozkr6 México Join Date: 2018-08-16 Member: 242878Members
    I FOUND SOME KIND OF SOLUTION HEHE

1.- go to the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica"

2.- MOVE SNAppData to your desktop

3.- ^ DELETE directory "options" from SNAppData (now in desktop)

3.- RUN "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe"

4.- If that works then MOVE again the directory SNAppData in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica"

Note: if say replace = accept

5.- RUN normally on Steam

I was finding a solution too and nothing, but as simple as to do this steps I create - It only occurred to me (REALLY) - and its funtional (unless for me).

I hope this will be funtional to all of you :smile:

NOTE: when i´d try this I had some type of bug like the submarin walls... the gray part seems as stickers I dont know how to explain

I think the problem comes in options.bin
    If it's options.bin, seems like you could just try moving that file, I think a new one would be generated with the default values.
  • ozkr6ozkr6 México Join Date: 2018-08-16 Member: 242878Members
    It could be work too but I wanted to keep my saved games for anything that was to happen. next time I'll do a copy of that and only try to delete the options.bin to see what happens
    options.bin does not affect saved games
  • HelpMeLostHelpMeLost Join Date: 2020-09-04 Member: 263778Members
    I am also having this problem. I got the game off epic games. Is anyone still here?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @HelpMeLost This forum isn't very active, but the discord in my signature seems to have people.

Have you tried maximizing through task manager? Open task manager, expand the Subnautica task, then maximize the second Subnautica task. You can also try the launch option, -window-mode exclusive