Frame rate

SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
edited December 2016 in Subnautica on Consoles
When I purchased Subnautica on the Xbox I was expecting 60FPS. And man my dreams were shattered.

Intro cutseen: 30FPS

10 minutes: 20-30FPS

30 minutes: 17-28FPS With the occasional massive frame drop that lasts for about 8 seconds.

45 minutes: 12-17FPS I've noticed that the frame rate gets worse when you progress in the game.

1 Hour: 7-12FPS Catching fish is nearly impossible, useing the seaglide to catch fish just makes it worse.

2 Hours: 5-8FPS I've given up on catching fish and was forced to use game exploits, just to progress in Subnautica.

3 Hours: >1FPS I've quit the game and decided to create a account, just so I can write this post here.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Cold boot / cold reset / whatever you call it.

Hold the power button down from the main screen until the power pack light goes yellow. Someone said it helped to do this multiple times.

Myself, I've only done it twice in a row and it helped, but they said like 8 times.

Give it a shot, let us know.
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    edited December 2016
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Cold boot / cold reset / whatever you call it.

Hold the power button down from the main screen until the power pack light goes yellow. Someone said it helped to do this multiple times.

Myself, I've only done it twice in a row and it helped, but they said like 8 times.

Give it a shot, let us know.

My Xbox is not causing the lag. There are hundreds of people who have experience the same thing that I am.

If you look under my #make SubnauticaXbox great again, you will find links to the people who I am listing that are experiencing the same problem that I am.

EDIT: when I stand in one place for about 5 minutes, it increases the frame rate by 3FPS.
    I'm pretty sure it will help, not because the xbox is having problems itself, but because cold booting clears the game cache files, and that's where Subnautica's problems lie (in the cache).
  • JebusChrustJebusChrust Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218634Members
    edited December 2016
    Go to dashboard, press start on the game and hit quit. Then open it back up and it will run better because it cleared the cache. When you play for a long time then the memory gets overloaded and performance suffers. I've had the same happen on Terraria on the Xbox and other sandbox games.
    Go to dashboard, press start on the game and hit quit. Then open it back up and it will run better because it cleared the cache. When you play for a long time then the memory gets overloaded and performance suffers. I've had the same happen on Terraria on the Xbox and other sandbox games.

I've tried that but it didn't work for me, I still think it's the games fault and this post I found convinced me https://mobile.twitter.com/SubnauticaXbox/status/798989549930090497
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    edited December 2016
    The game doesn't run better by resetting. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, post video. But you won't, because, as usual, resetting fixes like 1% of problems. Any other is placebo effect. Or you only play for five minutes at a time one or twice a month. I'm willing to be proven wrong!

As for expecting 60fps, the game IS in development. Expecting 60fps is a bit much. Most games don't even run at 60fps and they've been optimized. Although, I do expect the game to run well enough to be PLAYED.

Edit for a quick amendment: Technically, TECHNICALLY, there is a disclaimer that clearly states that the game may even be, or become unplayable. So even my expectations are unwarranted. Though, let's be honest, if a dev puts out a preview game, it would only hurt their rep and sales if the game frustrated players to no end. It would be better to just wait until development finishes... unless you're UBI or Hello Games... lol, I have no horse in either of those races, mind you.
    That works fine if you're a AAA developer who can spend millions of $$$ in development before making any back. If you're a small dev studio that's always 2-3 months away from folding while during development, though, you don't have that luxury. Not saying Unknown Worlds is or isn't 2-3 months from foldi0ng, but they definitely aren't snorting powdered money like the big names are. They release early access so that they can get help finishing the game. AAA guys release early to see what they can get away with not implementing (I think... at least some of them? No real proof here, just feels about right lol).
    And @Greybeard it would be a major pain in my ass to do it as I'd have to enable FPS counter (how?), capture Subnautica xbox video after playing long enough to reduce performance, then clear my cache, then capture another video, then figure out where my videos are uploaded to and how to post them.

When I could just use Subnautica on my PC as I have both.

Or, you know, since you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, you could do all that ^ and confirm one way or the other. :p
    edited December 2016
    I'm not the one making a claim that something will fix the abysmal frame rate. In fact, I'm fairly confident (as a gamer of consoles and PC for over 35 years) that it won't help. I'm not here to champion the cause of proof, or the existence/nonexistentence of a god, lol. Just saying that stating this will fix the problem is essentially taking away merit from the plethora of complaints concerning the recent drop in frame rate that occurred after the last update.

I hard reset my console here and there, mainly to help with updates, mods, or to stop the XB1 from being "always on". SN remains choppy.

The game needs a little optimization, not a hard reset.

This is an Xbox related thread, on an Xbox sub forum, PC is irrelevant here. "I'm sure it will..." isn't proof. Anyhow, I'm sure I'm coming off very persnickety and pendantic, and a bit snarky, which is not my intention.

At best, I'm just trying to stifle any misinformation. At worst, I'm wasting my time.

On that note, I'm going to stop responding (last word or not), as it isn't my intention to be a DB. It's all good. :)

P.S. The reason I won't do all that, is the same reason I wouldn't throw salt over my shoulder for 30 minutes because someone said it would fix the problem. "But why wouldn't you try?" one may ask. I wouldn't for obvious reasons.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    That works fine if you're a AAA developer who can spend millions of $$$ in development before making any back. If you're a small dev studio that's always 2-3 months away from folding while during development, though, you don't have that luxury. Not saying Unknown Worlds is or isn't 2-3 months from foldi0ng, but they definitely aren't snorting powdered money like the big names are. They release early access so that they can get help finishing the game. AAA guys release early to see what they can get away with not implementing (I think... at least some of them? No real proof here, just feels about right lol).

If a company can't afford to make, or finish a game, perhaps they shouldn't? I hear all the boo-hooing from the game industry (or AAA companies) about having huge budgets and teams; to that, I can only respond: so scale it back. No one is forcing them to spend so much, or even make games. Either a game is good and will sell well regardless of how "big budget" it is, or it won't.

Not sure what my point is, just the way your thoughts influenced my own train of thought. I love games.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    Either a game is good and will sell well regardless of how "big budget" it is, or it won't.

That's nonsense and you know it. So many great games do not (timely) reach their audience. Almost every game by Love-de-Lic and its descendent companies qualifies for this (one magazine in my country had a shining moment when it insulted its readership for the ridiculously poor sales of Little King's Story), Beyond Good & Evil sold terribly, Daedelic can't be bothered to hire anyone to fix the lag issue Zanzarrah: The Hidden Portal has on modern systems even though the game is amazing and deserves its second chance, nearly all my favorite horror games had to cancel intended sequels due to poor sales, etc.

The game industry is vicious and if any modern income-development system can help make good games become a reality, even if development has some ugly stages, then that's to be promoted, not derided.
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Very few huge budget AAA games run 60fps on the xbox, not sure why you were expecting an unfinished game by an independent studio to do that as well?

I feel like I'm becoming a broken record at this point, but the devs have been vocal and are very aware of frame rate and other issues. I'm not sure how helpful constant posts about it are at this point. They've replied about it before and have stated they are working on it, there's not much more anyone can do. We're all in the same boat and just have to wait until they are able to roll out the fixes.
    edited December 2016
    The game doesn't run better by resetting. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, post video. But you won't, because, as usual, resetting fixes like 1% of problems. Any other is placebo effect. Or you only play for five minutes at a time one or twice a month. I'm willing to be proven wrong!
    I decided to prove you wrong.

Loaded my game before the reset and dealt with mediocre FPS. Played a bit, then quit.

Hard reset my console, booted up the game, and swam over to the Aurora from Lifepod 17. Way better with only some hiccups.
    edited December 2016
    @JebusC you are my hero.

@Greybeard says thanks - *elbows Greybeard* :p
  • bingomanzerobingomanzero Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224676Members
    I totally wish I could get mine to get to the frame rate in the first video. Granted, I've not got the patience to hard reset my console more than twice with no improvement. My save is always unplayable but to frame rate issues, but if I start a new game it improves drastically.
  • raines80raines80 Join Date: 2016-12-12 Member: 224888Members

Loaded my game before the reset and dealt with mediocre FPS. Played a bit, then quit.

Hard reset my console, booted up the game, and swam over to the Aurora from Lifepod 17. Way better with only some hiccups.

I have attempted the hard reset... I do not have the video to go with it, but it does help!!!! for about 5 minutes!!!!

This is not a fix... this isn't even a freaking work around!

My game is currently unplayable if I want to play for more than 5 minutes at a time. I noticed the Devs saying they were working on trying to push an update through Microsoft, but they wanted to make sure it would pass before they tried..... that was posted 8 days ago. I noticed in another thread the devs replied on the 9th. That is awesome that they replied, but they replied with the exact same crap instead of giving an honest ETA as to win they were actually going to attempt to push the update to Microsoft.

I have worked on 4 different games in the past 2 years. I no longer work that company so I am not going to say which games or which company, but I will say that my previous employer always had a target date for everything and we RARELY missed those dates. If we were within 2 weeks of the dates we made sure to inform the consumers of the time frame. My team NEVER missed a date, but as a company I think they missed a total of 3 target dates in the 2 years I worked there. It is not hard to predict when you will be pushing out an update to Microsoft.
    edited December 2016
    raines80 wrote: »
    It is not hard to predict when you will be pushing out an update to Microsoft.

It is if you're not satisfied with the game's performance, and need to further optimize it, and are not sure how far you will have to continue that process to get a satisfactory result.

EDIT:
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're working very hard on the next Xbox patch, which should include some optimizations on the terrain loading. It's taken a lot longer than expected as a number of changes actually made FPS worse off than the current patch, so we've had to do a lot of optimization work to get the FPS to be as good, if not better, than before.

We're hoping to send it off to Microsoft soon, once we're convinced we have a good shot at passing certification. Sorry for the delay, we're working as fast as we can.

So you'd rather just slap an artificial time stamp on that, and push the update no matter what state the game is in? The results of that can be seen with the last update, and they weren't pretty. This is this team's first Xbox release, and ... I think, their second major game release? Not really sure. Point being, small indie teams should not be held to the same standards (time-wise) as AAA studios that can dump money on a problem until it goes away (when they want to, heh).
  • bingomanzerobingomanzero Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224676Members
    Although I die a little inside whenever I can't get it to run properly, I'll patiently wait for the update. The devs should be super-proud of what they've got so far. I can't wait to explore the depths of this game.

...oh, the puns. Sorry. I was originally waiting for an official/ physical release of this game, but I just had to try it out.

I regret nothing.
    raines80 wrote: »

I have attempted the hard reset... I do not have the video to go with it, but it does help!!!! for about 5 minutes!!!!

This is not a fix... this isn't even a freaking work around!

My game is currently unplayable if I want to play for more than 5 minutes at a time.
    Interesting, I was able to go to the Aurora and fight my way inside, and return to my base with schematics. The FPS dropped terribly as expected on the Aurora, but I hard reset and it's fully playable again. If you are trying to use the Cyclops or the Seamoth then yes you will get awful lag.
  • oelikoelieoelikoelie netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217444Members
    60 fps is too much too ask. I believe Forza 6 runs on 60 fps and few other games.
    The textures and frames could be better, yes. But the awful rendering of the terrain is what kills the game for me.
    I am not really disappointed in buying the game preview. You have to take a risk once in a while.
    But i do get the feeling this game will never run smooth on my xbox. Something about the programming and the rendering is very wrong here. And it has nothing to do with it being an indie game imo.
    I'm hoping it's either a memory leak or some other bug that's devilish to track down, but once fixed, clears everything up.
    edited December 2016
    oelikoelie wrote: »
    60 fps is too much too ask. I believe Forza 6 runs on 60 fps and few other games.
    The textures and frames could be better, yes. But the awful rendering of the terrain is what kills the game for me.
    I am not really disappointed in buying the game preview. You have to take a risk once in a while.
    But i do get the feeling this game will never run smooth on my xbox. Something about the programming and the rendering is very wrong here. And it has nothing to do with it being an indie game imo.

Subnautica is the first game I played that can't handle 60FPS
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members
    When I purchased Subnautica on the Xbox I was expecting 60FPS. And man my dreams were shattered.

Intro cutseen: 30FPS

10 minutes: 20-30FPS

30 minutes: 17-28FPS With the occasional massive frame drop that lasts for about 8 seconds.

45 minutes: 12-17FPS I've noticed that the frame rate gets worse when you progress in the game.

1 Hour: 7-12FPS Catching fish is nearly impossible, useing the seaglide to catch fish just makes it worse.

2 Hours: 5-8FPS I've given up on catching fish and was forced to use game exploits, just to progress in Subnautica.

3 Hours: >1FPS I've quit the game and decided to create a account, just so I can write this post here.

If you expect 60 FPS for a game @1080p+ that is STILL IN DEVELOPMENT on an Xbox, you're going to have a bad time lol.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    Yeah the last update made it laggy. I did the hard boot and power down the brick I dashboard the game and rebooted. Just have to wait for a January update and hope that fixes the lag.
  • smash1987smash1987 Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225589Members

Im going to assume you havent played many titles then. After some research the titles listed below are the only xbox one titles to run at 60fps

Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hardline
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
    Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
    Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
    Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
    DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
    Doom
    F1 2015
    FIFA 15
    Forza Motorsport 5
    Forza Motorsport 6
    Halo 5: Guardians
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Metro: Redux
    Minecraft
    Mortal Kombat X
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Outlast
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
    Resident Evil: Revelations 2
    Shadow Warrior
    Soulcalibur II HD Online
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Strider
    Titanfall
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5
    Tower of Guns
    Trials Fusion
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    smash1987 wrote: »

Im going to assume you havent played many titles then. After some research the titles listed below are the only xbox one titles to run at 60fps

Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hardline
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
    Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
    Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
    Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
    DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
    Doom
    F1 2015
    FIFA 15
    Forza Motorsport 5
    Forza Motorsport 6
    Halo 5: Guardians
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Metro: Redux
    Minecraft
    Mortal Kombat X
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Outlast
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
    Resident Evil: Revelations 2
    Shadow Warrior
    Soulcalibur II HD Online
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Strider
    Titanfall
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5
    Tower of Guns
    Trials Fusion
    Wolfenstein: The New Order

I've got halo MC collection, battlefield 1, forza 6 and subnautica.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2016
    We are working very hard on optimizations, specifically for Xbox.

As I posted in another thread:
    Optimizing is not something that is simple, or done with a flick of a switch. It can take months of hard work.

For instance, Jonas & Max have been working very long and hard on refactoring how the 'cell streaming' works in the game. In his own words:
    "This is the foundation for fixing all the things streaming plus enabling performance improvements and GC optimization"
    This has been a ton of effort, and only once the refactoring is done can optimizations start.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team have been working on gameplay code and artwork as we have a diverse team with many disciplines. We see the issues people are having and will address them in time. Performance will continue to go up and down until we get closer to 1.0 where the trend will start to go up. We appreciate your understanding.
  • sthdsgnrsthdsgnr Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225620Members
    I must say this game is making me sad. I wish i found out about the frame rate before purchasing this game. Really don't care about bugs or lost save files, but just being able to play the game would be great.
    sthdsgnr wrote: »
    I must say this game is making me sad. I wish i found out about the frame rate before purchasing this game. Really don't care about bugs or lost save files, but just being able to play the game would be great.

Play Creative mode, and you shouldn't have any problems.
  • blackops2ma5terblackops2ma5ter Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225667Members
    some thing happens to the frames after 9 hrs of playing on the xbox one needs fix fast it makes the game pretty much unplayable