Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    That's why we should get it at the end of the game. This way we have a choice on how or when we end the game. Our incentive for leaving is an insurance on the character's life, and if we stay we get this gigantic invincible submarine.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    I REMEMBER YOU!!! This is great, mebe devs could get you a job :)
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    edited October 2016
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    I REMEMBER YOU!!! This is great, mebe devs could get you a job :)

Agreed
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    hi guys, i just went on the forum. I so sorry for the inactivity, I have to say that my studies took a lot of time and that i'm a bit off from the project :/ it's hard for me to get into it again but i don't want to give up on you. So forgive me if i'm not answering you, there are so much things ^^
    But again thank you for the support guys you are amazing. And to show you some of the new stuff, here is the 90% complete UV mapping of the exterior of the submarine : (this was very long and boring)

Subnautica_Sub_UV_LAYOUT.pngherbergeur d image
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Cool. If it is ever added I will definitely help with your latter projects (I'm a programmer)
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Yeah i know, i don't give news, but for a reason, there isn't a single one :/ School takes a lot of my time, i not even working on personnel project. Moreover, i've got two things to do. For December we have to make a prototype of a functional game and they also ask us to do a finished illustration that could shows them all the skills we have. Therefore i really want to do it properly first.
    But don't worry, i don't forget the Atlas, i want to finish this project! It would be so rewarding! This is just a question of time (and also motivation because i often lost focus on my works :/ )
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited November 2016
    Just wanted to say this is totally amazing... and it reminded me a bit of this!
    6e8aecxq6miw.png
    EDIT: Got the image to work
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited November 2016
    This may have been mentioned before, but it would be awesome for Subnautica to have an alternate ending.
    Besides the planetary escape - it would be cool if there were alternate maps the player can journey to.
    Once you unlock the mega sub you can journey beyond the sea-mound that the Aurora crash landed on. It would be could to see some arctic areas. Maybe there could be a map with lots of floating islands and/or more complex cave systems.
    yo what school you going to man?
    Just wanted to say this is totally amazing... and it reminded me a bit of this!
    6e8aecxq6miw.png
    EDIT: Got the image to work

Dude this is one of my favorite movie from Disney!!! :D "It's a machine!!!"
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    yo what school you going to man?

I'm at a video game school in France, its name is Créajeux. You can check their website if you want (but it is in french xD ). It's not a waste of time for the project because i learn new techniques to improve my submarine :)

• Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    It Looks Great! Also I'm Going To Guess That It Will Have Internal Cameras. Right? If You Need Security Then Cameras Inside Will Be Great For If Anything Causes A Breach, Gets In, Or For Multi Player.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited November 2016
    It Looks Great! Also I'm Going To Guess That It Will Have Internal Cameras. Right? If You Need Security Then Cameras Inside Will Be Great For If Anything Causes A Breach, Gets In, Or For Multi Player.

There is not going to be multiplayer in Subnautica. The devs have made this crystal clear.

@WSBurns Best of luck 3d-printing the antennas and propeller. It looks neat. I still think 4 escape pods is total overdesign. :p

Still, if you scale this thing up enough, so that it could dock a Cyclops and change those escape pod bays into PRAWN and Seamoth bays... Subnautica 2 with MP and procedural stuff? B)

Put the Cyclops bay in the bottom rear where the, uh, propulsion(?) stuff is, and move the propulsion up along the sides?
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Oh. No Multiplayer? What About Something Causing A Breach And Getting In?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited November 2016
    While this is a great model I don't see this having an actual use in the game.
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    @EvilSmoo

I wont be 3D printing the antennas, they are too thin, i will probably be using other´s made from plastic model kits, i have a couple from an Abram's Tank.
    And i dont think those are escape pods i see them more as repulsion field engines for fast rudder and side to side sway, pretty much like the ones ships in Matrix movie have. Dont you think escape pods should be pointing up and not down? ;)
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    Any plans for an internal render so we can see some structure. It looks beautiful so far by the way
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited November 2016
    So far im not worried with this model as an in game asset, like i said above my work is 3D print oriented, im following a path very different from Minder. He´s plan is a solid concept to be used as an in game asset. Mine is only for 3D printing. When i post some more progress on my work i will make my own thread, since its not morally correct to "hijack" Minder´s thread with my own stuff.

@EvilSmoo
    "Still, if you scale this thing up enough, so that it could dock a Cyclops and change those escape pod bays into PRAWN and Seamoth bays..."

Lol, whats the use of parking a large submarine inside another even larger submarine?
    That would look like a Matrioska doll imho. Still , im trying to keep as much faithful as i can to Pat Presley concept.
    Also a larger scale would mean a much more complex interior, im already making sketches for 3 decks and 13 to 20 rooms, if i scale this up it will start look like Enterprise.

What would be a good idea was a mid range submarine, slightly larger than the Seamoth but way smaller than the Cyclops. If any of you guys come up with a good concept and put it on paper i will model it for you.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    what program are you using for the sub model?
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    WSBurns wrote: »
    I'm planing on acquiring a 3D printer, and since i really like this U-Boat I decided to start modelling it myself, took me several days and i must say, it was a decent challenge, now i know what Minder went through.

Thank you Minder and Pat Presley for your inspiration.

This is a quad mesh retopologically corrected, the OBJ file is 5.555 mbytes.

Based_in_Pat_Presley_Concept_Art.jpg

If i get bored again i will do the interior too, when i print it i will make one of the sides detachable (maybe held by tiny magnets) so one can see the inside rooms.

PS: Added a door in the back of the Conning Tower, and a window (I have realized this U-Boat could never be driven emerged like the Cyclops since the command deck is below the propeller water line, for future reference, a second command deck should be added to the conning tower)

if you do pleas can you put up how to format it in a 3d printer i would love to have one to print
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2016
    amazing! also the format is blender, but you can also export it as obj.
    france huh dude awesome so few out here in the states or i'd been in one to specially after seeing this stuff your doing wow
    Heeeeyyyy guys ..... i'm here ... I think ... cause i got my holidays ... and it seems i got 2 weeks free ^^
    So for everyone that are still there, first thank you for that ^^ and again i'm sorry for the lack of updates
    But, i'm back into it, i have worked a bit this evening on the texture, i will try to make an update soon when this will be almost finished.
    For general infos, at school, I didn't learn too much 3D modelling, but now i master the software Maya like Blender, so still an improvement of my skills in 3D modelling. Furthermore, we practiced a lot on photoshop, so I have learned a lots of things which might be useful for the texturing of the Atlas.
    Finally, i just want to let you know that if it works, i'm gonna do a diffuse map, a normal map, an emissive map and an ambiant occlusion map for the 3D model :)

Hope there are still a few people here!
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    WSBurns wrote: »
    I'm planing on acquiring a 3D printer, and since i really like this U-Boat I decided to start modelling it myself, took me several days and i must say, it was a decent challenge, now i know what Minder went through.

Thank you Minder and Pat Presley for your inspiration.

This is a quad mesh retopologically corrected, the OBJ file is 5.555 mbytes.

Based_in_Pat_Presley_Concept_Art.jpg

If i get bored again i will do the interior too, when i print it i will make one of the sides detachable (maybe held by tiny magnets) so one can see the inside rooms.

PS: Added a door in the back of the Conning Tower, and a window (I have realized this U-Boat could never be driven emerged like the Cyclops since the command deck is below the propeller water line, for future reference, a second command deck should be added to the conning tower)

I would so totally buy this as a toy
    @04Leonhardt
    Yeah I saw this too, I was amazed on how quick and how good he made his model.
    But this post is not focus on this one, if you want, WSBurns created his own post on the subject :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's too bad it's not as iconic as the Seamoth or Cyclops, cause it's not actually in game but merely concept art :( This sub would be so cool :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    He should make it a mod or something after 1.0 hits.
  • BreakingForceBreakingForce Join Date: 2016-12-17 Member: 225066Members
    edited December 2016
    agreed. i'd love a bigger sub that can carry both a seamoth and a prawn, and which also has water filtration and some means of food production (an inbuilt alien containment, maybe?) so that it can act as a true mobile base. i want more late-game things like this, because i don't want to leave 4546b. i dont' want there to be a win condition, just better and better ways to adapt to life here.

eventually, i'd also like access to the whole of the planet for exploration and development...even if it's just an abyssal plain that goes on forever in all directions except for the existing biomes. we have access to a pretty tiny sliver of this planet's surface area, to be honest...it seems sizeable because all of our vehicles are limited in speed by the engine...and that's fine...but there should be more.
This discussion has been closed.