'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited October 2016
    Agreed. Father of Tides still owes Selkirk big time, the humans took a big risk in allowing him and his entourage a closeup tour of their sanctuary (Like Selkirk noted, it could well have been a chance for them to discover the colony's weaknesses). The Sea Emperor has good reason to be wary around humans but you'd think he in turn would be more trusting of the alien who freed him.

Of course, he and the Warpers are radically different from humans and would have an entirely different way of thinking. Simply allowing the Torgalijin descendants to return to the surface might've fulfilled any debt in their eyes.

Deliberately releasing the Kharaa sample in front of them, though? It might've convinced them that their Enemy is there but it's left a very bad impression.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yeah, in retrospect, he should have told the Father of Tides that he had "make shell for some of seeds of Enemy in Dark Place, seeds cannot swim free, this one break shell, show Father of Tides?"

Or something.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    One thing we know for sure about Selkirk is that:
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Introducing the gas torpedoes. That went a lot better than I thought, thanks for the great update!
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Umm. You had a better idea? He's basically got a disposable body. Might lose a few hours to fab a new one. Big deal. I'm sure (well I would have if I was him) he did a backup right before heading out. Easy-peasy.

The big question comes with getting the Father of Tides to see reason after collecting Enzyme 42. Wouldn't do to have him on your bad side (and not sure how that would affect the new colony, as well).

Honestly, if I were Selkirk, I'd give the Father of Tides a little (respectful) dressing-down. Selkirk freed Father of Tides, and has been nothing if not a problem-solver for all sides here. A little trust is warranted, and Father of Tides did basically refuse to listen when Selkirk was trying to fix a problem that would affect all parties involved. Selkirk's got the attitude for that, and Father of Tides has it coming. He done goofed. Father of Tides, that is. Selkirk shouldn't have to work around Father of Tides to help Father of Tides, that's just counter-productive.

What both sides could use would be official ambassadors who take time to intermingle with the inner circle of the others, and learn their ways.

I mean, I know the humans are packing up and all, but 1) they've still got a ways to go and 2) as fast as life is progressing on that planet (precursor tech is obviously there already, not sure how they'd go about using it, or what happened on that planet.. a 'reset' maybe?) it's probably not going to be too long before you have them surfing the stars, or at least guarding their own solar system from incursion. The big gun obviously isn't impervious, too many ships have made it through. What if enough of the Aurora had survived and the other yahoos had activated the STARFISH? Or what if no one had been around to patch up the Aurora's leaking nuclear bits? The planet's inhabitants could obviously use at least being part of a treaty or somesuch where they agree to co-operate, and can leave the treaty if a terrible disagreement comes up in the future.

I dunno, IMHO they're wasting a lot of effort by not cooperating. The humans could use more workers for their ship building project. The locals could use some knowledge regarding working with tools and building things.

You can always have a radial third party enter the fray later on or something. Maybe a alien race sets up in an isolated corner or the planet and starts sabotaging the other 2's dealings or something.

Bah, I'm rambling. Comes of too long waiting for Bugzapper's next bit of story (j/k, I know you can't force these things to come out, I don't know how paid writers under contract do it, that has to take all the fun out of writing I'd think).

Anyways.

Regarding the locals helping Selkirk, in the previous story Bugzapper had explained that Selkirk didn't want to influence there evolution to rapidly.. teaching them to use tools or how to build advanced tech could and would cause them to skip multiple crucial step in how they evolve.

And Selkirk has done nothing but respect and honor the father of tides, and to pay Selkirk back for saving his life the good ol' father gave him safe passage in his waters, allowing Selkirk to not only survive but thrive :)
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Yay! Now Selkirk gets to speak to the Space-Sea Cows!!!
  • KalonjiKalonji Join Date: 2016-09-28 Member: 222676Members
    Man all this waiting is killing ne. We a need more.. And a countdown ticking for new updates ;)
    No seriously don't to want stress yu but We raise the viewscounter just to check for more very frequently
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Something tells me it'll be worth the wait. :)
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    Finally! And congrats on getting a new job, Bug!
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    Yeah, congrats on getting a really paying job. What's IT like being new there?

(if I recall you volunteered before so)
  • The2musketeersThe2musketeers Decatur, GA Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216350Members
    Congrats on the job, and I love the Ghostbusters reference!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    Yeah, congrats on getting a really paying job. What's IT like being new there?

(if I recall you volunteered before so)

Well, those new-fangled punch-cards are really tricky to sort into correct order... ;)

I'm kidding. I've been mainly involved with desktop PCs before. Notebooks and tablets are a new thing for me.
    Very fiddly and remarkably fragile to work with, but I'm picking up some clues with each one I work on.

Haven't fried anything yet, touch wood. That has to count for something.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I've been reading this story and Aurora Falls since near the beginning, and now that I've worked up the courage to comment on this story, here's what I have to say. This is one of the best works of writing I've read in a very long time. Bugzapper, please continue on this amazing story. And please continue giving us scientific descriptions that few of us understand, those parts are my favorite.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    edited November 2016
    So what is next? the deep underground biomes or timeskip till the ship is finished?

maybe earth rescue mission arrives and gets targeted by the small evil overlord gun?

Also keep up the great work
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members

Pudding01 wrote: »
    Bug, please block that guy.

Edit: and he's gone!

I'm never gone. you can never get rid of the rock puncher empire
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    @nauticalperana Think you could have spammed any more lol? This is not the place sorry. I thought it was funny, but it should have been compressed into 1 or 2 comments, not like 15. If you want to do what you did then the discord server is the place for you! Feel free to join us if you haven't already: https://discordapp.com/channels/85342800492634112/85342800492634112

Isn't that advertising ?
    Also Ima deleting my account you guys won't ever hear from Me again

I lied
    we want to see the crew more we only got like 1 and a half chapters total involving the crew
    we want to see the crew more we only got like 1 and a half chapters total involving the crew