'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    It returns after five days!
  • The2musketeersThe2musketeers Decatur, GA Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216350Members
    He's interacting with The Father of Tides a lot more in this story.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited October 2016
    @Bugzapper by dermal armour did you mean to say subdermal or Did you write that intentionally
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    @phantomfinch I definitely meant transforming human skin into external armour plates, as you'd find on a Bone Shark.

I tend to write most of this intentionally. It's an old writer's trick. ;)
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Let's hope they don't define the infected colonists as their enemies. At least they can't simply take that information from his mind now that he's an android.
  • AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Enzyme 42
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference?
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference?

In all probability, yes. The Devs have a Heart of Gold.

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Not sure why the warpers had to activate the quarantine and construct the planetary defense system when they seemed to do a fine job destroying any ships coming to the planet without the help of a giant cannon. Either way that was an awesome way to implement the gun and such into your story.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited October 2016
    Bugzapper wrote:
    "Sky Shell swim free. Lost Ones go above-sky first home." Father of Tides gestured gracefully.

Just what I wanted to hear. Father of Tides has given his explicit word that He will not interfere with any rescue attempt. Given that it would be in the planet's best interests to allow us to leave, He could not have answered otherwise. To put it mildly, this meeting would have lost any semblance of cordiality if he had refused.

Looks like that promise will be broken when Sunbeam shows up (If Sunbeam is part of this story, that is?). It will certainly make things difficult where the Borealis project is concerned.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Woa, the light show is about to start ladies and gents!
    One things for sure, That thing is definitely operationnal! :wink:
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    @Rainstorm ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (I have been recognised 0w0)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    As a member of the evil overlord community, I resent your statement that any evil overlord would approve of this gun. As a matter of fact, that gun is not nearly large or evil enough to suit my dark purposes. I and many other evil overlords have very particular standards regarding large guns, and this one simply doesn't measure up to them. My dreadnoughts bristle with weapons of far greater size and power, and when the time is right, I shall march to war on the fools who have thought themselves safe, MUWHAHAHAH!

Good day sir!
    @sayerulz Duly noted.

One question: How are your Dreadnaughts sorted for thermal exhaust ports?
    Just curious.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I retrieved the Kharaa sample container from its storage pouch. Slowly and deliberately, I crushed the phial in my right hand. An insignificant swirl of grey-green matter seeped from my clenched fist.

Ohhh boy, even tho Selkirk now got a Full-Metal butt casing, ive got a good feeling he's gonna feel that one passing! :wink:
    edited October 2016
    I'm sorry but this latest page immediately reminded me of this

Just replace Bill Murray with father of tides and the girls with the borealis crew and it's almost the same

(Sorry couldn't find shorter clip)
    @phantomfinch Yep. That sums it up quite nicely.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    @sayerulz Duly noted.

Just curious.

Pffft, thermal exhaust ports are an amature mistake. I've been foiled because of mistakes like that too many times. Now, I have to go explain my entire plan to the one man that could stop me, who happens to be my prisoner at the moment, and then leave him in a very poorly secured prison so he can think about my genius for a few hours before I have him killed.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Whyyyy did i have to start reading Borealis before it was done? Now I'm at the tender mercies of Bugzapper's cliffhangers.

...must..resist..urge...

Oh it's no use

F5
    F5
    F5
    F5
    F5
    F5
    sayerulz wrote: »
    @sayerulz Duly noted.

Just curious.

Pffft, thermal exhaust ports are an amature mistake. I've been foiled because of mistakes like that too many times. Now, I have to go explain my entire plan to the one man that could stop me, who happens to be my prisoner at the moment, and then leave him in a very poorly secured prison so he can think about my genius for a few hours before I have him killed.

Make sure to keep the timer that stops at the last possible moment and also has a wire that speeds up the countdown instead of cutting the power
  • OceanFire25OceanFire25 Join Date: 2016-09-30 Member: 222731Members
    Ya dun goof'd Selkirk
    Meanwhile at Kaori-san no-shima
  • The2musketeersThe2musketeers Decatur, GA Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216350Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Umm. You had a better idea? He's basically got a disposable body. Might lose a few hours to fab a new one. Big deal. I'm sure (well I would have if I was him) he did a backup right before heading out. Easy-peasy.

The big question comes with getting the Father of Tides to see reason after collecting Enzyme 42. Wouldn't do to have him on your bad side (and not sure how that would affect the new colony, as well).

Honestly, if I were Selkirk, I'd give the Father of Tides a little (respectful) dressing-down. Selkirk freed Father of Tides, and has been nothing if not a problem-solver for all sides here. A little trust is warranted, and Father of Tides did basically refuse to listen when Selkirk was trying to fix a problem that would affect all parties involved. Selkirk's got the attitude for that, and Father of Tides has it coming. He done goofed. Father of Tides, that is. Selkirk shouldn't have to work around Father of Tides to help Father of Tides, that's just counter-productive.

What both sides could use would be official ambassadors who take time to intermingle with the inner circle of the others, and learn their ways.

I mean, I know the humans are packing up and all, but 1) they've still got a ways to go and 2) as fast as life is progressing on that planet (precursor tech is obviously there already, not sure how they'd go about using it, or what happened on that planet.. a 'reset' maybe?) it's probably not going to be too long before you have them surfing the stars, or at least guarding their own solar system from incursion. The big gun obviously isn't impervious, too many ships have made it through. What if enough of the Aurora had survived and the other yahoos had activated the STARFISH? Or what if no one had been around to patch up the Aurora's leaking nuclear bits? The planet's inhabitants could obviously use at least being part of a treaty or somesuch where they agree to co-operate, and can leave the treaty if a terrible disagreement comes up in the future.

I dunno, IMHO they're wasting a lot of effort by not cooperating. The humans could use more workers for their ship building project. The locals could use some knowledge regarding working with tools and building things.

You can always have a radial third party enter the fray later on or something. Maybe a alien race sets up in an isolated corner or the planet and starts sabotaging the other 2's dealings or something.

Bah, I'm rambling. Comes of too long waiting for Bugzapper's next bit of story (j/k, I know you can't force these things to come out, I don't know how paid writers under contract do it, that has to take all the fun out of writing I'd think).

Anyways.