Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited September 2016
    Hi Minder, good job!

Listen, there seems to be a small errant edge between the two top windows, speaking from experience, one way to circumvent this is to make a tiny 3 split bevel along those sharp window edges.

Thank you for posting this picture and keep up the good work.
  • GamePlayerCZ757GamePlayerCZ757 Česká Republika Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222207Members
    Really cool, it might be great to have this creature in the game :):o
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    @Minder
    As someone who is mostly self taught with 3D, I want to encourage you to keep at it. You are doing an awesome job. And giving yourself difficult challenges like this will help you get better faster.
    I use SolidWorks at my work and I have only messed around with Blender a little bit. I can barely make anything with Blender, so I envy your skill!

Keep drawin! B)
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    Keen to see the next update haha! xD

Although don't strain yourself :)
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Dude looks sick man love it
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    You have outdone yourself. There are few words to describe how incredible that sub looks and how talented you are at this! I can imagine using that in the game, it's awesome! :smiley:
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    Minder wrote: »
    I hope you are still with me! :D

@Minder For sure! xD

Looks Sick! B)

@Obraxis, I hope content like this, (if it is never consider/makes it into the game) at least gets an easter egg shoutout for the amount of effort and community support (i.e. mini atlas model toy in the game, maybe found in a person's locker called "Minder")
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    Stunning model.

If only it were real
  • HiukussHiukuss USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222557Members
    And make it nuclear-powered, so we can have even longer excursions into the deep abyss. That's the only thing I hate about the cyclops.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Wow that is really magnificent! I hope we'll get to pay with it in the game!
    @Minder
    I read up when you said you were trying new 3D technics, watching your sketchfab model i see what you mean by trying to improve your mesh. There are a few problems, its not clean and regular at some points, but thats not hard to solve. You may just need to change your approach.
    When working with round, almost organic forms, i prefer to use 3D coat or Zbrush to sculpt them and then i simply reduce the object and export its mesh into Topogun, it will really save you some time and produce much better results if your plan on having a clean and lightweight mesh, you can do the same with the Atlas hull base mesh you made with blender, take my advice and use topogun to do some retopology work. The following Youtube video will show you how to go from a sculpted non regular mesh into a regular quad mesh, the process here described can be applied to any other object and like i said befor it will save you a huge amount of time. (God i sound like im selling something, lol)
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    It would be interesting to see quantity limited materials. Things you only get once or a specific amount of that don't respawn. Super special materials on the Aurora.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Very pretty. But... 4 escape pods in a single-player game?
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see quantity limited materials. Things you only get once or a specific amount of that don't respawn. Super special materials on the Aurora.

And what happens when the player loses them? Because someone, somewhere will lose any given thing, and if they can't get around that, they'll be upset.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited October 2016
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Very pretty. But... 4 escape pods in a single-player game?

And what happens when the player loses them? Because someone, somewhere will lose any given thing, and if they can't get around that, they'll be upset.

Remember that Cyclop crew must contain 3 person (if you read Cyclop description in PDA). Bigger ship - bigger crew. I think that Escape Pod has 2 seats too (as Aurora's) - so crew can consist at 8 crew members. Also hangar can fit 2 seamoth or 1 seamoth + PRAWN. You say "singe-player" - you mean one crew member... But who know that in crash can survive only ONE person?

@Minder About "specific amount" or "limted materals" I agree that it must be rebuildable from 'natural' materials which we can find on this planet.
    And about what install inside (I talking about overall dimensions of 'decks' this 3D model) - don't forget about scanner-room (you can fit it in LAB) and ability to install nuke power generator. Also - when you'll choose the place for helm - don't forget about good view without blocking view by helm itself. Inner walls must has a REAL rim: visible border = physical edge of 3D model - that locker/flower-pod/manufacturer can 'lay' on wall but not 'fly' in air like in Cyclop' wall
    I cant find the post but someone suggested that this sub might be something you receive at the end of the game or something. You could have a choice to leave in the rocket, or you find this gigantic, indestructible submarine, and go find the remaining Degasi survivors. It would be pretty cool as a search and rescue vessel. If that is the secondary directive of the Aurora's crew, then would it have something dedicated to search and rescue like this awesome submarine? If it is big enough it can have an infirmary and living quarters for the people it picks up. I'm sorry if maybe I didn't read this thread carefully and missed the big picture, but a search and rescue submarine sounds pretty cool to me.
    I didn't mention that I imagined it to be on the Aurora, and you can go back and find it after you build the rocket. Maybe that's lame let me know what you think about this?
    edited October 2016
    I cant find the post but someone suggested that this sub might be something you receive at the end of the game or something.

Thank you, for being one of the few people who actually read my post, if this is in fact the one you are mentioning...

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144222/ideas-for-sn-story-random-brainstorm#latest

I suggested some of the changes already posted above, sadly it didn't had the feedback I anticipated. A rendezvous with some survivors made sense when i wrote it, but it seems dev team has planned a solo campaign for this game.
    I have also read about the escaping in a rocket scenario, but i hardly find it doable. Although we may have the in-Game technology to achieve this, i have no clue where we will harvest enough Dark Matter to juice our rocket back home, unless we may be able to retrieve it from the Precursor weapon or Aurora´s wreck.

On aside note, it shouldn't even be called a Dark Matter Reactor, scientists only call it Dark Matter because they dont know what it is, i guess that in order to build a working reactor we should at least be able to know and name it´s fuel properly, same thing as inventing an engine that one claims to run on an unknown magic fuel. Sorry but its the Sheldon in me...

I guess if this was an infinitely generated world, then a search and rescue ship would make sense and you can keep exploring. What about the Sunbeam survivors? And who is coming for those guys. Three ships have been shot down and one survivor.

I really want this submarine in the game and round up survivors. I cant think of any other reason to have this sub than for search and rescue, and it is the perfect excuse to have it this gigantic.
    I dont think we actually need a much bigger scenario, some games i have played make use of its current scenario by unlocking certain areas and events as the player progresses further, in my post (the one i just linked in my previous comment) i have described a captain nemo versus giant "some creature" and use the "Atlas" itself as a scenario. How fun would be if you were being hunted by some large creature during a long travel and had to play hide and seek while occasionally power down your submarine to avoid being detected and conduct repairs?

I urge anyone that is minimally interested to read Discussion 144222 and post your own ideas and input, maybe its a long shot, but i still hope someone will care enough to bring this boat to life and include it in a nice game scenario.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    unknown werlds pls ad
  • dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    The only thing i can see wrong is that it will be annoying to navigate in the safe shallows and would need to be in deeper waters but other than that i love it
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    Minder wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

A bit of introduction here : I'm new on the forums but not on the game. Subnautica is one of my favorite game and although i didn't spend too much time on it, i had a super experience playing it! What I enjoyed the most is the exploration thanks to the wonderful places there are, and also the submarines, especially the Cyclops. And for once, a developer team has enough talent to make the vehicle completely playable. And not just making the exterior and the cockpit.
    I'm currently a student for game design, and I started to make my own 3D models. Moreover i saw the concept arts for other submarines and particularly the bigger one which looks just fantastic! I know I'm really a beginner in modelling and texturing, but I want to give it a try. Maybe you could give some criticism and tips for this challenge! :tongue:
    Thank you in advance and hope you will like it! :smiley:
    (I will do updates)

EDIT!! : Instead of scrolling down to see the most recent update of the 3D Model, I'm gonna actually put an image of the last one, down below at the end of this post :)
    (You can still see all the steps, by watching every updates i made in that discussion)

So here is the original 2D concept art :

Pat_presley_sub03b_lorez.jpghebergeur d images

And here is the first step of my own 3D model :

SUBNAUTICA_1.pngheberger image

SUBNAUTICA_2.pnghebergeur d images

Those views are orthographic, there is only the general shape of the submarine. I'm currently working on a second model because the shape doesn't match perfectly with the concept image. On the first picture you can see the mesh, which is a bit weird, but again, i'm only a beginner. Future pictures will be more interesting!

EDIT! : Here is a picture of the most recent update of my 3D model!

SUBNAUTICA_3.pngimage gratuite

this would never fit because the cyclops already barley fits anywhere as it is also you would need some prettey deep whater to float it in and there is nothing below 1500m
    Search and Rescue Vessel
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    This would work anywhere the water was deeper than 35m. But the games map is a bit small for an epic awesome beast like this. Maybe in later expansion packs? A vast map with new missions and new places to explore. But for now, its a bit big. But there's plenty of room for it. ONLY the safe shallows is too shallow. A big beast like this would only need a 150m dive depth. It's a mother ship, so its about horizontal travel. Not vertical...thats what the Cyclops, Seamoth and Prawn are for.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Dudes - Truly some amazing 3D art! Great work.

However - I have only one cloud for this silver lining: Wouldn't such a big sub somewhat overwhelm the Subnautica world? For my money, running around in the Seamoth is the quintessential Subnautica experience: zipping in and out of deep caves and intricate canyons... It is almost like a little undersea sports car!

With a primarily single-person game, I'm not sure getting much bigger than the Cyclops is the way to go. I'd like to see more time/coding put on navigation aids (like constant coordinate readout and waypoints) and other functional improvements than yet another sub - no matter how cool it looks! :)
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Keep up the awesome work!
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    harrzack wrote: »
    Dudes - Truly some amazing 3D art! Great work.

However - I have only one cloud for this silver lining: Wouldn't such a big sub somewhat overwhelm the Subnautica world? For my money, running around in the Seamoth is the quintessential Subnautica experience: zipping in and out of deep caves and intricate canyons... It is almost like a little undersea sports car!

With a primarily single-person game, I'm not sure getting much bigger than the Cyclops is the way to go. I'd like to see more time/coding put on navigation aids (like constant coordinate readout and waypoints) and other functional improvements than yet another sub - no matter how cool it looks! :)

You have identified the exact problems with this entire suggestion.

I do have one notion, though? Instead of 4 escape pods, remove 2 and change into hatches on either side. Leave more room for bay, as well.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    dlc deeper bigger map expanshion
This discussion has been closed.