Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
edited October 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello everyone!

A bit of introduction here : I'm new on the forums but not on the game. Subnautica is one of my favorite game and although i didn't spend too much time on it, i had a super experience playing it! What I enjoyed the most is the exploration thanks to the wonderful places there are, and also the submarines, especially the Cyclops. And for once, a developer team has enough talent to make the vehicle completely playable. And not just making the exterior and the cockpit.
I'm currently a student for game design, and I started to make my own 3D models. Moreover i saw the concept arts for other submarines and particularly the bigger one which looks just fantastic! I know I'm really a beginner in modelling and texturing, but I want to give it a try. Maybe you could give some criticism and tips for this challenge! :tongue:
Thank you in advance and hope you will like it! :smiley:
(I will do updates)

EDIT!! : Instead of scrolling down to see the most recent update of the 3D Model, I'm gonna actually put an image of the last one, down below at the end of this post :)
(You can still see all the steps, by watching every updates i made in that discussion)

So here is the original 2D concept art :

Pat_presley_sub03b_lorez.jpghebergeur d images

And here is the first step of my own 3D model :

SUBNAUTICA_1.pngheberger image

SUBNAUTICA_2.pnghebergeur d images

Those views are orthographic, there is only the general shape of the submarine. I'm currently working on a second model because the shape doesn't match perfectly with the concept image. On the first picture you can see the mesh, which is a bit weird, but again, i'm only a beginner. Future pictures will be more interesting!

EDIT! : Here is a picture of the most recent update of my 3D model! with the link to sketchfab : https://sketchfab.com/models/c217fef254dd4f6cbc21741318338239

SUBNAUTICA_3.pngimage gratuite
SUBNAUTICA_27.pngimage a telecharger gratuitement

Comments

• hampus034hampus034 Sweden Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221254Members
    That looks really cool. I also thought of the same thing, trying to do my own 3d model for the game. But i was gonna do the whale creature that's in the concept art.
  • Samecco1987Samecco1987 UK Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221244Members
    I like it looks good
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm gonna put my progress online soon :)

So, hampus034, did you manage to do it?
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Shweeet man o for your inspiration if you come up other ideas in real life you can buy a custom dolphone shaped speed boat 1 seater that can go a short way under the water so you can ride like the dolphines really cool thing https://goo.gl/images/xqCY1X for your viewing pleasure
    Oh yeah I have already seen this one ^^ You want to put something like this into the game? It would be cool for sure!
  • ZappsteveZappsteve Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220965Members
    Hey, so far nice work on the 3D-model it looks pretty awesome... I would also really love to see some huge vehicles like this one in the actual game the thing is the size of this thing. If you think about the size of the normal Cyclops where you fit in that one glass ball in the front and compare that with the person in the window on the Artwork this thing will probably be 1.5-2 Times the size of the Cyclops and the cyclops alone is actually pretty hard to get through the biomes but maybe the dev´s will enlarge the overall size of the map so you´ll be able to explore the ocean like shown on the picture. That doesnt mean that im not happy with the size of the map at the moment afterall they put alot of their time and much effort into Subnautica to make it THE Subnautica that it is at the moment and i love it too, but on the contrary being able to just drive these things around in the open unexplored ocean with whatever is out there, exploring all the creatures and the plants and everything would be probably the MOST awesome thing this game could feature. Like said before i love what it is and im not complaining about subnautica what it is today but maybe in the future they COULD make an update which enlarges the map or even A NEW GAME. It sure will be alot of work. But still its just a suggestion. Maybe most of you´all wont angree and im fine with that but anyway i really have to congratulate the dev´s for doing such a great job on updating the game and adding new stuff nad fixing the bugs etc. Kepp up the awesome work. And your model looks much nicer ( Of course after adding more stuff ^^ ) and im sure it´ll look great once its finished. Keep it up. :D
    Zappsteve wrote: »
    Hey, so far nice work on the 3D-model it looks pretty awesome... I would also really love to see some huge vehicles like this one in the actual game the thing is the size of this thing. If you think about the size of the normal Cyclops where you fit in that one glass ball in the front and compare that with the person in the window on the Artwork this thing will probably be 1.5-2 Times the size of the Cyclops and the cyclops alone is actually pretty hard to get through the biomes but maybe the dev´s will enlarge the overall size of the map so you´ll be able to explore the ocean like shown on the picture. That doesnt mean that im not happy with the size of the map at the moment afterall they put alot of their time and much effort into Subnautica to make it THE Subnautica that it is at the moment and i love it too, but on the contrary being able to just drive these things around in the open unexplored ocean with whatever is out there, exploring all the creatures and the plants and everything would be probably the MOST awesome thing this game could feature. Like said before i love what it is and im not complaining about subnautica what it is today but maybe in the future they COULD make an update which enlarges the map or even A NEW GAME. It sure will be alot of work. But still its just a suggestion. Maybe most of you´all wont angree and im fine with that but anyway i really have to congratulate the dev´s for doing such a great job on updating the game and adding new stuff nad fixing the bugs etc. Kepp up the awesome work. And your model looks much nicer ( Of course after adding more stuff ^^ ) and im sure it´ll look great once its finished. Keep it up. :D

Really thanks man for the feedback! :smiley: And don't worry i'll keep it up with the updates, while i'm modelling it! (I hope making the interior too)
    Anyway, for what you are arguing, I completely agree with you! The game is awesome, and I really like to walk along in the cyclops. That's why i thought a bigger submarine will be so cool. But indeed the game is not adapted for that, it needs bigger map for sure. Maybe the devs should implemented real procedural generated world, like minecraft or no man's sky, therefore the map would be infinite. I also like the concept arts where we can see the cyclops exploring the inactive lava zone, which seems to be super huge. Again I think that the game would looks nicer if the render distance would be much further, like if sometimes the fog will be less dense.
    To be honest i think they should replace the seamouth with it the torpedos go out the mouth and glade you like the idea ^^
    An idea those 2 circle things on the side of the concept art can maybe be seamoth/exo docking ports. Maybe they open up and inside its like a moonpool but from the side.
    Oh and as for the whale im trying to learn 3d modeling on youtube as of now.
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    To be honest i think they should replace the seamouth with it the torpedos go out the mouth and glade you like the idea ^^

Yeah that's an idea! give it to the devs :wink:

hampus034 wrote: »
    An idea those 2 circle things on the side of the concept art can maybe be seamoth/exo docking ports. Maybe they open up and inside its like a moonpool but from the side.

Actually i don't think so, even if the submarine is huge, i believe the Seamoth is still too large to go inside those circles. IMO, it reminds my of super large batteries, those things could be for the energy supply :smile: But it could be something else, like hatches or like bays for lifepod to come out in case of emergency. So maybe there are 4 people to command the whole vehicle.
    But yeah this is actually an issue because i don't see where the entry is to get inside the submarine. I would have to change the original concept to do so. Moreover, i also don't see a docking bay for smaller vehicle like the Seamoth. This could be a feature i can add too :)
    Oh and as for the whale im trying to learn 3d modeling on youtube as of now.

Ok, good luck! :tongue: For information i'm using blender for the 3D modelling.
    edited August 2016
    Not sure how to do that i assume that the forum ia more fun since ever since art dude anytime i ask a none dev will give a opinion but i dont hear a peep from the dev's feels like that art head dev black listed me for the site to be honest :/
  • dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    I like the idea of it but I wonder what besides the size and glass what else will be different about it will need an engine room and power cell slots to power it but I can imagine it being kinda spacious inside which would be nice
    Not sure how to do that i assume that the forum ia more fun since ever since art dude anytime i ask a none dev will give a opinion but i dont hear a peep from the dev's feels like that art head dev black listed me for the site to be honest :/

Nah i don't think so. I'm new on the forum but i believe this is not the place to contact devs, they are too busy for that. Maybe try by their email :)
    dexter397 wrote: »
    I like the idea of it but I wonder what besides the size and glass what else will be different about it will need an engine room and power cell slots to power it but I can imagine it being kinda spacious inside which would be nice

Yeah I agree with you, that is what I find cool with this submarine, there is a lot a place to do whatever we want. Indeed I would like to do the interior too like the cyclops. So give me any ideas, they are welcomed! IMO, I think of a spacious cockpit, behind it a large control room, maybe a room for storage, another for plant/farm, perhaps even rooms for the crew like a dormitory, and it will also be cool to add a laboratory! :D
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Dude, this is all completely amazing :) As someone who can't model to save his life I find all of this amazing. Great job, and I look forward to seeing more progress! Again, I can't stress how amazing this is!
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Dude, this is all completely amazing :) As someone who can't model to save his life I find all of this amazing. Great job, and I look forward to seeing more progress! Again, I can't stress how amazing this is!

Thank you so much for you feedback! It really cheers me up! And i'm gonna put an update right now ;)
    edited August 2016
    Dude, this is amazing. Keep doing what you're doing, man. Oh, but take your time, too. It seems like work worth taking your time on ;)

Also, do you think those circles could just be entrances, each to a different room?
    Once again amazing! Those circular things in the middle could maybe be modular. So you could choose if you want to put a big circular window on there. A nuclear / bioreactor. Or maybe a farm.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Dude, this is amazing. Keep doing what you're doing, man. Oh, but take your time, too. It seems like work worth taking your time on ;)

Also, do you think those circles could just be entrances, each to a different room?

Ahah don't worry, i'm on holidays, i got a lot of time to make it ;)
    For the circles, as i have already mention it, i rather think these are some sort of huge batteries or something for the energy. But it's just my idea, this could be everything! :)
    Once again amazing! Those circular things in the middle could maybe be modular. So you could choose if you want to put a big circular window on there. A nuclear / bioreactor. Or maybe a farm.

Oh my god, you are a genius, this idea is just so great! The whole ship should be modular too that's would be awesome! Or at least, you wouldn't have everything right away. You will have to upgrade the submarine to get extra rooms :)
    But i thing this feature would be difficult to be implemented into the game. At least i will try to make the model for the modular circular things!
    Thanks for feedback guys!
    Another thing guy! Where should i put the entrance to the submarine? Because i can't find one on the concept art. Maybe more than one hatch could be great?
    Tell me!
    Awesome dude love it looks like tje top fin coukd work as a access point
    You could put one of the entrances at the back of the center thing for the axial thrusters.
    Minder wrote: »
    Another thing guy! Where should i put the entrance to the submarine? Because i can't find one on the concept art. Maybe more than one hatch could be great?
    Tell me!

Im guessing it has a flat top entrance or hatch like a real submarine... And about the part with vehicle docking like the seamoth, maybe at the two thrusters there is this outline maybe marking the point to where the part of the submarine opens (like the cyclops) and really... this thing is so huge it probably even be able to park a cyclops easily inside of it :O
    Im guessing it has a flat top entrance or hatch like a real submarine... And about the part with vehicle docking like the seamoth, maybe at the two thrusters there is this outline maybe marking the point to where the part of the submarine opens (like the cyclops) and really... this thing is so huge it probably even be able to park a cyclops easily inside of it :O

For both of you, this is a good idea. But actually, if we look closely, the top of the submarine is like the cyclops. There are too many antennas and sensors to put an hatch here. This is kind of a bummer :/ Maybe i could still put the entrance on the top put in front of the "top thing"? Or i change the concept art and i make it bigger to have the space to put an hatch?

And for the docking bay, I believe the Cyclops is still too large for that. It can fit in the big submarine but there would be no other space for rooms. Moreover the 2 rounded things and the support for the thrusters make it difficult to place a huge docking bay for the Cyclops. But i can still manage to put one for the seamoth, right between the rounded things and the support. What do you think? :)

You could put one of the entrances at the back of the center thing for the axial thrusters.

Directly on the support? I think this could be a bit weird because there would be all the machinery for the thrusters there. I could put the entrance more away in the back?

I could also put an entrance in the front, right down below the cockpit. Therefore there would be 3 entrances for the submarine, each one at a useful location. :)

Keep telling me what do you think of that ;)
    Minder wrote: »

For both of you, this is a good idea. But actually, if we look closely, the top of the submarine is like the cyclops. There are too many antennas and sensors to put an hatch here. This is kind of a bummer :/ Maybe i could still put the entrance on the top put in front of the "top thing"? Or i change the concept art and i make it bigger to have the space to put an hatch?

And for the docking bay, I believe the Cyclops is still too large for that. It can fit in the big submarine but there would be no other space for rooms. Moreover the 2 rounded things and the support for the thrusters make it difficult to place a huge docking bay for the Cyclops. But i can still manage to put one for the seamoth, right between the rounded things and the support. What do you think? :)

Directly on the support? I think this could be a bit weird because there would be all the machinery for the thrusters there. I could put the entrance more away in the back?

I could also put an entrance in the front, right down below the cockpit. Therefore there would be 3 entrances for the submarine, each one at a useful location. :)

Keep telling me what do you think of that ;)

Looks pretty good so far =) And also to the entrances, after i looked more at the picture i´ve seen this blue spot on the top behind the antennas and everything maybe there is where you enter that there is a hull plate which rises and then theres a hatch where you can enter. Maybe could only be for the looks but would be awesome if it would be like this.
    A glass room lower airlock under the bridge? Dude that sounds so awesome its cosmic (yeah total dork on the fly geekiest thing i ever said feel free to laugh im laughing)
    I think maybe the best place for a hatch is the same place as the Cyclops, at the bottom front.
This discussion has been closed.