Update 295 Released! - Natural Selection 2

1234568»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    dePARA wrote: »
    @F0rdPrefect
    " and if there's a drop in players if a server goes down it doesn't matter because the playerbase goes down anyway" - Yes, it doesnt matter cause these servers didnt help to hold or grow playerbase in the long run.

So you are saying that whether or not large servers exist is the only factor involved in retaining players?
    Have you considered that the playerbase might drop faster without large servers?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    At this point we have gone full circle, and am sitting here like...
    fd8.jpg
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ANYWAYS... I hope they have gameplay or balance changes next patch, time to ruffle some feathers!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Stop.

What am I supposed to read if people stop?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Stop.

http://ns2news.org/
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Stop.

LOL BURN!

Everest-575683.jpg

This should cool things down :smiley:
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Stop.

Where are your articles?

If I never come back here, you know what I'm doing.
    Stop.

Where are your articles?

If I never come back here, you know what I'm doing.
    tab_explosion.png
    ;)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stop.

LOL BURN!

Everest-575683.jpg

This should cool things down :smiley:

Not for long with how things are heating up. :frowning:
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Stop.

Not going to happen:
    ☑ Clear separation and marked as modification. Not showing in same serverbrowser list by default, especially not as first entry.
    ☒ Not whitelisted / ranked.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    So will we see the font size increase get reverted? Or is all GUIScale work done previously being thrown out?

+1 pls
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    Ns2Large is gameplay change, Ns2+ is not. There's a difference.

Auto weapon pickup for one is a gameplay change that isn't included in vanilla ns2.

NS2+ is a larger change to the base game than a simple playercount modification will ever do.

Maybe NS2+ changes more things.. but they are all quality of life changes that have little to no impact on how the game is played out.

NS2large completely and totally changes the entire gameplay. So while it's only the player count that is changed, it has a much MUCH larger impact on how the game is played.

In truth NS2+ and Shine should both be part of the vanilla game, as both do nothing but quality of life changes without actually changing gameplay itself.

@Yojimbo I agree that NS2large players should be able to have their servers, let people play where they want and all that...

However you yourself admit that new players are far more likely to flock to the largest populated server (battlefield mentality was the perfect way to describe it) and that is not the ideal representation of NS2 for new players. (and I can point to the poor performance alone, forget about the negative impact to gameplay)

There are actually 3 kinds of people here.. 1) Those who prefer large.. 2) those who prefer smaller.. 3) Those who don't care.. Without that "divide" then you get group 3 joining the first server with an open slot, which will obviously always be large since they have double the slots of other servers.. This tends to shift the rest of the community into large (ie players who prefer small but get tired of waiting for a spot in a small server so they join large) and the snowball effect begins..

I know I'm not the only one that would've quit NS2 without even giving it a chance if the vast majority of servers had been large when I started playing..
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We need new blood and new gameplay to make the game more exciting and less stale.

Seeking new gameplay AND neutering the modding community in the same breath... How does that make any sense? I can't believe UWE sometimes.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    PuphBall wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We need new blood and new gameplay to make the game more exciting and less stale.

Seeking new gameplay AND neutering the modding community in the same breath... How does that make any sense? I can't believe UWE sometimes.

Well I believe the goal is to make changes to game play but it's later down the line.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    "Neutering the modding community"

For real? Give me a break.

Normally people actually have to go seek out and download mods from a website... In NS2 you have to click a tab.. Oh the horror.
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Normally people actually have to go seek out and download mods from a website... In NS2 you have to click a tab.. Oh the horror.

Hey, we just found out this is pretty hard, okay :trollface:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is not so much that is hard, but that it can go unnoticed. I know some smart people who have hundreds of hours of ns2 who did not notice that the server browser had changed until they were told. These are people who do not read the forums or read changelogs. To them, servers were just missing.